Author Topic: The truth will set you free  (Read 789 times)

Offline Universalist Catholic

The truth will set you free
« on: May 25, 2010, 07:35:18 AM »
from John 8:32 "Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."  People seem to use that verse in claiming that their dogmas are absolutely correct, and will set you free.  But in reality, most of the churches have some very burdensome Dogmas and morals which really give you no freedom, and even worse an attached promise of unending punishment for not upholding to these dogmas and morals.  I can say from experience that trying to accept a bunch of legalistic Dogmas is anything but liberating.  You are always burdened with the worry about heresy, or failing to live up to high standards.  Believe me, Heresy hunters are all over the place searching out anything that does not match their beliefs. 

But from what I can see is that THE TRUTH, not Truths or dogmas, but a single truth will set you free. 
Man fell into sin, and was consigned to the law of Death.  Jesus came and died for the salvation which would save all people. 

Most other churches cannot seem to understand that simple truth, and I think that is the reason we have so much fighting when it comes to religion.  There is always that burden of trying to figure out if salvation is by works? faith? Which denomination is the right one? Have I been born again? Do I need to go to confession? What if I committed a certain sin? 

Not to mention all the time people are burdened with the woes of those friends and family who are atheist, Gay, Pagan, Catholic, Lutheran, Anglican, too many sins, did not live up to your churches moral standards. 

Then there is that burdensome obligation to force your religion and way of life down other peoples throat, plus being able to evangelize to the whole world is humanly impossible, but the churches make you feel like you have to.   Not because of true Good News of salvation, but a warning that if you dont follow my religion, you will go to hell. 

Offline Beloved Servant

• Gold
  • David's sling
Re: The truth will set you free
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 07:39:54 AM »
Righteousness Peace and Joy allow us to rest in His Spirit and not concern us with the cares of this world.

Offline Pierac

• Bronze
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 11:02:20 AM »
1Co 13:9  For we know in part and we prophesy in part; 10  but when the perfect comes, the partial will be done away.

The perfect is coming soon! Until then... we know in part and we prophesy in part    :wink1:

Paul

Offline peacemaker

• Bronze
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 04:52:19 AM »
We were created perfect, but not many know it.  :mblush:

Offline reFORMer

• < Moderator >
  • Psalm 133
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 06:05:01 AM »
Jesus, then, said to the Jews who have believed Him, "If ever you should be remaining in My word, you are truly My disciples, and you will know the truth, and the truth will be making you free." (John 8:31-32, Concordant Literal Translation)

To be under His discipline we must walk in the awareness of His presence.  Whether we stand or fall in His word, if we continue keeping it, we will be judged into life.  Honesty and humility are a good start; but, only truth will keep us from deception.  There seems to be too little attention given to the Holy Spririt as the Spirit of Truth.
I went to church; but, the Church wasn't on the program!  JESUS WANTS HIS BODY BACK!!  MEET WITHOUT HUMAN HEADSHIP!!!