Author Topic: The transfiguration  (Read 3152 times)

Offline Beloved Servant

• Gold
  • David's sling
The transfiguration
« on: November 24, 2010, 12:03:34 AM »
What is the significance of the transfiguration of Jesus Christ?

Offline Beloved Servant

• Gold
  • David's sling
Re: The transfiguration
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2010, 01:51:02 AM »
Is it more than just a dramatic change in appearance?

LS

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010, 02:02:31 AM »
One thing that strikes me about that event  is that the disciples with Jesus recognized Moses and Elijah immediately.  They couldn't have known what they looked like in this life, so I think that's pretty cool.    :coolsmile:

SQ

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010, 04:10:02 AM »
I don't know, but the transfiguration gives me hope..

Offline Cardinal

• < Moderator >
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2010, 05:28:18 AM »
One thing that strikes me about that event  is that the disciples with Jesus recognized Moses and Elijah immediately.  They couldn't have known what they looked like in this life, so I think that's pretty cool.    :coolsmile:

:cloud9: They saw the spiritual/heavenly pattern of the Ark of the Covenant standing before them, ie. the two cherubim on either side of Him (who it is given to sit at His right hand and at His left), just like the two on the Ark.

And so, knowing what they saw was in the Holy of Holies in pattern, and therefore the 3rd main feast in pattern also (Tabernacles), they responded as any Jewish man would, having rehearsed Elijah's return at the meal (they set a place for Elijah who is to come) ie. "Let us make 3 booths (tabernacles)". They didn't understand the full implications of what they'd seen yet, ie. His Kingdom is not of this world, it was sort of "dress rehearsal" for our benefit, the heirs of salvation in the end of the age. My  :2c: Blessings....
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 05:32:58 AM by Cardinal »
"I would rather train twenty men to pray, than a thousand to preach; A minister's highest mission ought to be to teach his people to pray." -H. MacGregor

Offline CHB

• Silver
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2010, 08:25:34 PM »
Hi Cardinal,

That was a very good answer.  :happy3: :thumbsup:

CHB

Offline Molly

• Gold
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2010, 09:23:36 PM »
What did Moses see?

1 Then Moses climbed Mount Nebo from the plains of Moab to the top of Pisgah, across from Jericho. There the LORD showed him the whole land—from Gilead to Dan, 2 all of Naphtali, the territory of Ephraim and Manasseh, all the land of Judah as far as the Mediterranean Sea, 3 the Negev and the whole region from the Valley of Jericho, the City of Palms, as far as Zoar. 4 Then the LORD said to him, "This is the land I promised on oath to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob when I said, 'I will give it to your descendants.' I have let you see it with your eyes, but you will not cross over into it."
--Deut 34

Did Moses just see a whole lot of land?  Or is time collapsed for him, and he sees the true meaning of the promise?

Is this event a mirror image of the transfiguration?

1And after six days Jesus took Peter, James, and John his brother, and brought them up onto a high mountain apart.

2And He was transfigured before them; and His face shone as the sun, and His raiment was white as the light.

3And behold, there appeared unto them Moses and Elijah, talking with Him.

--Mat 17

Offline micah7:9

• Gold
  • Mic 7:8 Thou dost not rejoice over me, O mine ene
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2010, 09:28:53 PM »
I am very sure that the vision was wonderfu and beautiful and perhaps Cardinal is correct in what she sees there, I have not thought about it that much as of yet, I have not been led there. But this I know those disciples had no spiritual idea what they were seeing and they did as is said as jewish men would do, they wanted to build something. These men were not even converted yet.
They each one still did not understand the parables that Jesus spoke, they each one would deny Him and run when Jesus was taken. Yes I believe it was a wonderful and beautiful site and they were amazed. But I doubt they say any spiritual significance. My  :2c:
Mic 7:8  Thou dost not rejoice over me, O mine enemy, When I have fallen, I have risen, When I sit in darkness Jehovah is a light to me.

Offline Cardinal

• < Moderator >
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2010, 09:53:54 PM »
 :cloud9: I personally think those of old were a lot more spiritually sophisicated than we give them credit for. That the Jews knew so much more from the texts in regards to coding, mathematics hidden in plain sight in the Word, sacred geometry, and other secrets, is all thru their writings.

Another reason I believe this, is that I know from personal experience, that when the Lord's Spirit manifests Himself in any fashion, revelation and understanding of the Word ALWAYS accompanies the experience. It can be no other way, because His Spirit IS Truth. So there is no way they didn't receive spiritual understanding of some degree with each experience the patriarchs had with Him.

Rabbis were not like some of our western "pastors" today; they were scholars who spent their whole lives studying the scriptures (with the benefit of knowing the original language), like it was their job, because it WAS. Not all of them were like the Pharisees and Saducees that had so deteriorated in heart motive by the time Jesus arrived on the scene.

So having said all this, I think Moses saw and knew more than was generally understood of him, for one, because he covered his face with a veil, and two, because he was discussing with Jesus the manner in which He should die. I believe he covered his face with a veil, because he didn't want them to know that the glory of the law was temporary. It would have been impossible for them to walk it out as a trust test of the heart motive, for generations, if they had been aware that it was not going to "save" them, and that the lesser glory of it was to be "done away with" when when the greater glory appeared. My  :2c: Blessings.... 

« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 10:09:28 PM by Cardinal »
"I would rather train twenty men to pray, than a thousand to preach; A minister's highest mission ought to be to teach his people to pray." -H. MacGregor

• Gold
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2010, 10:23:45 PM »
Perhaps, but that for me is but speculation on your part. No disrepect intended.
As for "Another reason I believe this, is that I know from personal experience..." Cardnial, you have The Spirit as a guide and comforter now, Moses was in a different situation which was more literal than spiritual. And I believe Moses was more obedient than most today when God tell us to do something.
I believe at the time the announcement of Jesus by Gabriel there was alot of spiritual stuff going on but other than that I dont believe there was anyone led spiritually.

And remember we are led by the Spirit so we are given to see those things from back there.
My  :2c:
Mic 7:8  Thou dost not rejoice over me, O mine enemy, When I have fallen, I have risen, When I sit in darkness Jehovah is a light to me.

Offline Cardinal

• < Moderator >
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2010, 10:34:05 PM »
 :cloud9: None taken.....but don't forget Enoch walked with God, Noah was spoken to concerning a flood, Jacob wrestled with the angel of the Lord, Abraham heard God, Moses heard God, ect.......we should all be so "lucky" to be led by the Spirit to the degree they obviously were. My  :2c: Blessings....

Offline Molly

• Gold
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2010, 11:10:43 PM »
Quote from: Micah
Moses was in a different situation which was more literal than spiritual.

Moses stood in the gap between man and God and talked face to face with God.

He was a shadow and type of the Melchizedek priesthood.

We all should be so blessed.

Inside the Tent of Meeting, the LORD would speak to Moses face to face, as one speaks to a friend.

--Ex 33:11
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 11:27:04 PM by Molly »

Offline Molly

• Gold
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2010, 11:18:28 PM »
Quote from: Cardinal
I believe he covered his face with a veil, because he didn't want them to know that the glory of the law was temporary.

wow, yes!  That's why it faded.

2 Corinthians 3:13
And not as Moses, which put a veil over his face, that the children of Israel could not stedfastly look to the end of that which is abolished:

...which vail is done away in Christ.

• Gold
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2010, 11:55:02 PM »
Now isnt that what I said when I wrote "Moses was in a different situation which was more literal than spiritual.?"

Offline Beloved Servant

• Gold
  • David's sling
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2010, 01:27:22 AM »

Moses radiated light that was obtained outwardly.

Offline Molly

• Gold
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2010, 01:47:39 AM »

Moses radiated light that was obtained outwardly.
yes! a reflected light.

As opposed to Jesus who radiated light like the sun.

Offline Beloved Servant

• Gold
  • David's sling
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2010, 02:21:12 AM »
Perfect Love.

No sunlight
No moonlight
No candlelight

Offline Beloved Servant

• Gold
  • David's sling
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2010, 03:40:48 AM »

Molly! Shine!

Was there not a Metamorphosis?

Offline Beloved Servant

• Gold
  • David's sling
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2010, 03:48:23 AM »

I venture to say that this day should be as significant as Christmas or Easter, perhaps even more so!

Offline Beloved Servant

• Gold
  • David's sling
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2010, 03:49:44 AM »

Will we experience the same thing?

Offline Molly

• Gold
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2010, 03:51:54 AM »

Molly! Shine!

Was there not a Metamorphosis?

Matthew 17:2
And was transfigured before them: and his face did shine as the sun, and his raiment was white as the light.

"transfigured"

G3339
μεταμορφόω
metamorphoō
met-am-or-fo'-o
From G3326 and G3445; to transform (literally or figuratively "metamorphose"): - change, transfigure, transform.

Romans 12:2
And be not conformed to this world [AION]: but be ye transformed [metamorphoo] by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

• Gold
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2010, 04:47:56 AM »
What do you "think" "imagine" Peter, James, and John took away from their experience, before Jesus went to the cross?
As I have said, it must have been and I am sure it was a breath taking sight, so was the walking on the water, calming the sea, raising Lazurus, healing the sick, feeding the thousands....but what did the disciples take away from the transfiguration or any of the other miricals, I say just about the same as they took away from Jesus" parables. And let me say I am not making small those things that the disciples saw, even Judas was a witness of, they were not significant to them at the time certainly not as the Lord through His Holy Spirit is revealing to the saints To Day.
I still am being giving to study the opening post.
Peace Through His Love

Offline Beloved Servant

• Gold
  • David's sling
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2010, 03:26:05 AM »

I just read this from Elwin Roach:   http://www.godfire.net/transfiguration.html

Molly, you might like it. It touches on something you mentioned earlier.

Offline Pierac

• Bronze
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2010, 04:44:44 AM »
The Transfiguration was a vision... Mat 17:9  As they were coming down from the mountain, Jesus commanded them, saying, "Tell the vision to no one until the Son of Man has risen from the dead."

Joh 3:13  "No one has ascended into heaven, but He who descended from heaven: the Son of Man.

Look for the meaning of the vision, as one has ascended into heaven, but He who descended from heaven!

Paul

• Gold
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2010, 05:01:51 AM »

I just read this from Elwin Roach:   http://www.godfire.net/transfiguration.html

Molly, you might like it. It touches on something you mentioned earlier.
Thank you Beloved!  I liked this part
JESUS UTTERLY DESTROYED that great kingdom wherein Adam walked in utter failure. He destroyed it by swallowing it up in the brilliant Light and Life of Himself. It was a grand display of Life over death, and the power to do so was by the joining of the Word and the Spirit. Moses and Elijah were seen talking with Him! Moses and Elijah came together. Word and Spirit merged. Substance and Life met and sparked a mighty change. Your life can be transformed from godlessness to godliness by the renewing of your minds; but to be transfigured -- it takes the fusion of Word and Spirit in the man!  (The Transfiguration...Elwin Roach)