Discussions Relating to Universal Reconciliation > Discussions on Universal Salvation

the critical difference between "good works" and "works of the law"

<< < (28/28)

jugghead:

--- Quote from: shawn on July 02, 2012, 06:27:30 AM ---IMO, its all about motive.  Lawful works in my mind is works that come from the flesh.  Meaning we are completing good works so that God owes us one, or to earn Gods favor, or even out of fear of hell.  We are basically trying to earn our salvation through works.

I believe good works are works that come from a a natural out flowing of love and relationship with our Savior.  Christ fills us, and we can't help but to fill others.  True relationship changes the heart.  And from this state you can't but help to give, love, and serve.  It's as natural as the law of gravity.  You drop a rock and it falls.  Christ works on your heart and you serve others through good works.

--- End quote ---

I agree, if works are not done out of love or compassion for another then they are of the flesh. I also think that if we do works to even bring ourselves joy, we are doing them for profit. Good works are those that bring joy to another first, not us. We do them because we love them or have compassion for them (of which there is a fine line between compassion and feeling sorry for another).

I myself, when good works are done for another by me, it is not me who does the good work, it is God doing the good work through me,  my body is just the vessel He is working through, thereby He gets all the credit for them - HE GETS THE GLORY ..... not me .... and they may not know it, but when they are thanking me, they are thanking God who is in me.

lomarah:

--- Quote from: jugghead on July 02, 2012, 02:34:03 PM ---
--- Quote from: shawn on July 02, 2012, 06:27:30 AM ---IMO, its all about motive.  Lawful works in my mind is works that come from the flesh.  Meaning we are completing good works so that God owes us one, or to earn Gods favor, or even out of fear of hell.  We are basically trying to earn our salvation through works.

I believe good works are works that come from a a natural out flowing of love and relationship with our Savior.  Christ fills us, and we can't help but to fill others.  True relationship changes the heart.  And from this state you can't but help to give, love, and serve.  It's as natural as the law of gravity.  You drop a rock and it falls.  Christ works on your heart and you serve others through good works.

--- End quote ---

I agree, if works are not done out of love or compassion for another then they are of the flesh. I also think that if we do works to even bring ourselves joy, we are doing them for profit. Good works are those that bring joy to another first, not us. We do them because we love them or have compassion for them (of which there is a fine line between compassion and feeling sorry for another).

I myself, when good works are done for another by me, it is not me who does the good work, it is God doing the good work through me,  my body is just the vessel He is working through, thereby He gets all the credit for them - HE GETS THE GLORY ..... not me .... and they may not know it, but when they are thanking me, they are thanking God who is in me.

--- End quote ---

I can say an amen to that! He is the One who has put His love in me. All love is from Him and when I truly love another I KNOW it's from Him. When He puts His love in you... you KNOW. And it's amazing! And I am so thankful for being able to be a vessel for His love!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version