Author Topic: Salvation  (Read 3263 times)

Amie

Salvation
« on: August 29, 2007, 06:08:58 PM »

In biblical times, there were a number of ways that the word "salvation" was used.  Within the New Testament alone, it was used in three ways:

1.  Salvation from death.  This is synonymous with "redemption".  This was a human wide problem.  I believe that salvation has been accomplished.  God reconciled all to himself via the work of Christ. 

2.  Salvation from wrath.  This was Israel specific.  The language was used in the Old Testament as well when a nation would be shaken as ordained by God.  This spoke to the occurance in Jerusalem 70AD when the old system of things which caused death was removed.

I heard a great story concerning wrath.  A mother spots a swarm of bees headed toward her child.  mother who spotted a swarm of bees headed for her child. She ran in that direction, nose flaring, fury in her eyes.. so inflamed with protective ferver that she frightened even her child. She was filled with rage, but her focus all the while was on the bees.

God's focus was on the defeat of death and Jesus came here warning those who might be harmed to get out of the way.  Those who didn't believe, suffered in the wrath.

3.  Personal Salvation.  In the firstfruit body this meant that they were saved out of the wrath to participate as Kings and Priests in order to usher in redemption.  For us this means to be saved out of a living hell in experiencing uncondional love, and the option for participating in a ministry of life.

What do you think?  What do you mean by "salvation"? 

Amie

Offline Cardinal

• < Moderator >
Re: Salvation
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2007, 08:02:41 PM »
 :cloud9: To add another thought along those lines........That Greek word there also means "deliverance". We are delivered from the wrath of God that works in our members as the darkness that is in the soul of man, ie. the light (spirit) that is darkness. Thus the warning to "take care, that your light be not darkness", and the admonition to work out your own deliverance (same word there as used for salvation) with fear and trembling. Blessings.....
"I would rather train twenty men to pray, than a thousand to preach; A minister's highest mission ought to be to teach his people to pray." -H. MacGregor

Amie

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2007, 08:52:07 PM »
Cardinal,

As I wrote above, I think that the "wrath" applied only to Israel. 

The bible has a historical context and setting.  The "you" in each text has a given audience which is not us.  Some of the biblical "books" are letters even, that have an addressee.

I find a great depth and richness studying it in that light.  I learn how what is being said to and worked through THEM affects me today.

Just in principle only, what if everyone was already saved?  (Except for "personal salvation" which is a healing experience and not related to the acceptance of God)

Amie

Offline Cardinal

• < Moderator >
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2007, 11:38:31 PM »
 :cloud9: Well, this is how He gave it to me.......works (outer court principles) without faith (inner court principles) is dead, just as faith without works is dead. What I see a lot in the body today is same two "camps". Those that see everything as already done (faith without works), and those that see everything as yet to come (works without faith). The truth is in the middle, in the today aspect, ie. whatever the Spirit of the Lord is speaking to you do/works and stand in/faith NOW. Not sure if this answers your question exactly........
"I would rather train twenty men to pray, than a thousand to preach; A minister's highest mission ought to be to teach his people to pray." -H. MacGregor

Amie

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2007, 05:43:54 PM »
Cardinal,

The "faith/works" ideal also has a contextual setting.  It was the faith OF Christ which was working to reconcile the world to God.

Anymore, "Dilige et vis quod fac" (<--St. Augustine)... "Love God then do what you will.  Salvation now isn't void of ministry and/or service.

Amie

Offline Cardinal

• < Moderator >
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2007, 06:01:13 PM »
 :cloud9: Yes, but my point was man has to participate in the process, and making it a done once and for all event only eliminates the process. Otherwiser it's just being a hearer of the word/breath, not a doer. And I am talking spiritual "doing", thru the direction of the HS. Blessings to you.....

Amie

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2007, 08:43:50 PM »
Cardinal,

I agree that it puts God at the wheel and us as participaters, rather than us in control of salvation.

I wonder if you would mind sharing your own view of what it is that anyone is being saved from?

Amie

Offline Cardinal

• < Moderator >
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2007, 08:50:13 PM »
 :cloud9: The short answer? The bondage of corruption we were lowered into with Christ......