Author Topic: prisoners of war?  (Read 639 times)

Offline marie glen

• Bronze
  • HiS perfect intent? Besides paradise & perfection?
    • My profile on Bubblews
prisoners of war?
« on: April 21, 2010, 07:21:20 PM »
   (In 2 Kings 6) when the Syrian army, long ago, came out to surround and seize the prophet Elisha, he told his servant (worker, helper) not to fear, that the army with them was larger than the army against them, and prayed his friend would be able to see the chariots of fire upon all the land around the Syrian army.
   As the story progresses, when the Syrian army had been blinded, Elisha led them into the capital city of Israel at the time, at which time they could see, and found they were surrounded by the armies of Israel.
   The king of Israel shouted to Elisha "should I kill them?" 
   But Elisha shouted back "Do we kill prisoners of war?" And made a feast for them instead and sent them on their way.
   At the end of this unavoidable journey we are on, life as we presently know it, the second resurrection is not as joyful as the first resurrection (initially, that is). All those who went to their graves unsaved, will find themselves among the second resurrection, living through and experiencing the long day of the judgment and examination of all things and history, etc, along with all those of the first resurrection and all angels.. It's only after that long day when will be heard those notorious words "those not believing will go to the 2nd death", but after experiencing being resurrected and also witnessing and living through the long day of the examination of all history, etc, who's not going to believe?
   When I read the account of Elisha and the Syrian army I was struck with the idea that the second resurrection is somewhat like being a 'prisoner of war' and that it is beyond God to mistreat them... :smile:
"If a stranger enters the room & all are talking in strange tongues, how will they understand?"

"Who is This!? That even the wind and the waves obey Him?" ~ Mt 8:27

Offline Nathan

• Gold
Re: prisoners of war?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 08:44:56 PM »
Is this a commentary you're quoting?  Or is this a summary of how you see the second resurrection to be?

Offline marie glen

• Bronze
  • HiS perfect intent? Besides paradise & perfection?
    • My profile on Bubblews
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 01:35:41 AM »
Yes to both, it's a commentary which to me compares to the 2nd resurrection :smile:
"If a stranger enters the room & all are talking in strange tongues, how will they understand?"

"Who is This!? That even the wind and the waves obey Him?" ~ Mt 8:27

Offline eaglesway

• < Moderator >
  • Grace & Peace be multiplied unto you, in Jesus
    • Hell is a Myth.com
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 06:23:56 AM »
Although the sentiment is admirable, when I read these kinds of things I wonder. Does God really play these kinds of little tricks upon us in His word? It may be( I believe it is) that the day itself is the fire, and the tribunal is but an instant awareness that there is now no veil between the one accustomed to darkness and the flames that burn from the eyes of the one before whom all things are open- the one whose word is a fire that consumes the stubble. The sentence , however, involves what our Lord described as an extremely difficult experience, I do not think it will just suddenly be regarded as inappropriate, or as a mistreatment-I think the word has more gravitas than that.

"You brood of vipers who has warned you to flee from the wrath to come"
"How shall you avoid Gehenna fire"
The Logos is complete, but it is not completely understood. hellisamyth.com