Author Topic: New Book by NT Wright - Surprised By Hope  (Read 2337 times)

grace_explosion

New Book by NT Wright - Surprised By Hope
« on: May 07, 2008, 06:01:30 PM »
"Rethinking Heaven, the Resurrection, and the Mission of the Church" (purpose of book stated on front cover)

Newsweek calls NT Wright "the world's leading New Testament scholar". 
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 06:53:21 PM by grace_explosion »

martincisneros

Re: New Book by NT Wright - Surprised By Hope
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 11:04:41 AM »
I don't want to get any gossip going, so let me say up front that this is leading to a question.  A friend of mine is sooooooooooooooo sure that N.T. Wright is Gregory MacDonald.  Has anyone read Gregory MacDonald's book "The Evangelical Universalist," and enough books by N.T. Wright to where you could say "MAYBE" or "PROBABLY NOT"??

I've never read any of N.T. Wright's books, though I've read a few articles of his online.  And I've never read Gregory MacDonald's book.  If a couple other people thought, from having read some of N.T. Wright's stuff and from having read Gregory MacDonald's book that there's a strong possibility there, then I'd feel freer about recommending Gregory MacDonald's book even without having ever read it 'cause I know how THOROUGH N.T. Wright's scholarship tends to be. :Sparkletooth:

jbs

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 01:00:59 PM »
 I very much doubt if Gregory Macdonald is NT Wright as NT Wright has explicitly rejected universal salvation in many of his books. Even recent ones. He favors something like annihilationism, though not quite.

martincisneros

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 05:51:17 AM »
A rose by any other name?  Maybe??

I personally reject -- totally reject -- universal salvation on semantical grounds 'cause I believe that that particular term lends itself more easily to the accusation of Unitarianism, so if N.T. Wright calls it out by name and by that name in particular, then he may simply be wishing to distance himself from Unitarianism.

I do realize that many people hold to many/most of the things that I hold to and would, for their own reasons, prefer the term "universal salvation."

It's not just my semantical belly-ache over the term.  Quite a few folks who believe in the Universal Restoration reject -- blatantly reject terms such as "Universalism," "Universalist," "universal salvation," and one or two other designations.  I've seen pastors and theologians spend hours behind the pulpit criticizing "universal salvation," and writing books against it, and then comfortably sit with Universalists afterwards and go on and on and on about Jesus Christ, the Restorer of all men; the eternal forsaker of none.

I guess it's analogous to Pentecostals preferring to be called Charismatics, or preferring to be called Four Square, or Assemblies of God, etc.  Some Pentecostals wear the "holy roller" slur as a badge of honor, while others roll their eyes over it and say that that does not accurately represent their theology, their style of worship, etc.

I don't know if we'll ever come up with a term for the Universal Restoration and it's adherents that every ""Universalist"" will feel comfortable with.  But few of the other Christian groups are entirely happy with what they call themselves or with what others have tagged them with.  The debate still goes on in some circles about even being called a "Christian."

stech1

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 10:23:03 PM »
I know I've come a bit late to this thread, but I highly doubt Wright would print something under a pen name. His name sells his books because he's become well respected in the Emergent and evangelical camps. If he's going to put something out there, i think he'd stand behind it with his own name.

As for the book itself, I haven't heard of the title. I've read a number of Wright's titles. My two favorites are the little book The Meal Jesus gave Us and the book he co-authored with Marcus Borg, The Meaning of Jesus. I don't always agree with Wright but he is a biblical scholar of the highest caliber.

martincisneros

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 10:49:48 AM »
UR books in general don't sell more than a few hundred copies, unless it gets picked up as a perennial favorite of a publisher and they just keep putting it out there year after year after year like some of the George MacDonald or William Barclay stuff.  That's one of the reasons I always find it sooooo horribly preposterous and slanderous when anyone tries to claim that a new UR book is only about someone trying to make money.  If you want to make a billion dollars, go and do it off of ET.  Make up a story about a near death experience, the ground having opened up on your disembodied spirit, and you were sucked down by griffins, gargoyles, centaurs, minotaurs, etc., all the while watching Jesus up in the heavens laughing his butt off at your damned soul.  That'll SELL

UR doesn't generally, although someone like Carlton Pearson might sell a few hundred more because he might stir up the curiosity of theologians over his former noteriety and his dramatic shift in position that they themselves KNOW isn't over the money, that's for beeped sure!

I think I'm really going to want to get a copy of that new book by N.T. Wright and I hope that whether I do or don't (sooo many books I'm trying to track down right now), I hope that someone posts a brief review of the book right here to this thread after you've read it.  I'd love it if a couple of people that have read the book or are reading the book would post their reviews here of the book, and perhaps get a discussion going on any strengths in the book, along with any clear weaknesses in where it falls short -- backed with Scripture and not just criticism of Dr. Wright's style, which could be both calculated for a sequel or just regional flavor in his communication style, and then there's the pesky last minute editorial work of a publishing company that he might have only moderate control over.

Offline AbbasChild

• Father Judges No One
    • Abba's Child
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2008, 02:31:20 PM »
Hi Martin,
I read Gregory MacDonald's book and a few articles of N.T. Right but am not sure if they are the same person.

While on one hand Gregory quotes N.T. quite a view times in his book, he also seems to disagree with later ones statement that Jesus never spoke about after-life consequences.

Nevertheless, the book is very well written, very scholary and based upon scripture. Alone the discussion on Revelation is worth its money.
It is much more possible for the sun to give out darkness than for God to do or be, or give out anything but Blessing and Goodness.- William Law

Man can certainly flee from God... but he cannot escape him. He can certainly hate God and be hateful to God, but he cannot change into its opposite the eternal love of God which triumphs even in his hate. --Karl Barth

friarted

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2008, 02:16:52 PM »
Make up a story about a near death experience, the ground having opened up on your disembodied spirit, and you were sucked down by griffins, gargoyles, centaurs, minotaurs, etc., all the while watching Jesus up in the heavens laughing his butt off at your damned soul.  That'll SELL

You forgot Gorgons. Hell's gotta have gorgons!

And if you don't write this book, I just might. Is it all right if I tithe the profits to TM?  :laughing7: