Author Topic: Jimmy Carter - Baptist Universalist (!)  (Read 2393 times)

Offline firstborn888

• Bronze
  • Not all those who wander are lost

Offline Beloved Servant

• Gold
  • David's sling
Re: Jimmy Carter - Baptist Universalist (!)
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 06:53:40 PM »
His Truth is marching on!

Offline Seth

• Gold
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 07:03:30 PM »
http://www.beliefnet.com/Faiths/Christianity/2007/03/Jimmy-Carter-Sunday-School-Teacher.aspx

Generally politicians will talk in universalist tones about their Christianity, I believe, because they are in a position to please many people. Even George W. Bush suggests that non-Christians will "get into heaven." When you have to please non-Christian voters, you can't say "y'all are goin' to hell!"  :laughing7:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_8GoF9SLas

martincisneros

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 07:44:43 PM »
Oh, why not, Seth?  It would be so Edgar Allan Poe!! :bgdance:

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 08:01:23 PM »
Generally politicians will talk in universalist tones about their Christianity,

Except Al Gore. Not that hard with such a name  :dsunny:

He wanted to impress so He said: John 16:3 is my favorite verse.
But obviously he was meaning John 3:16

John 3:16  For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 16:3  And these things will they do unto you, because they have not known the Father, nor me.
1 Timothy 2:3-4  ...God our Savior;  Who will have all men to be saved...
John 12:47  And if any man hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world.
Romans 4:5 But to the one who does not work, but believes in the one who declares the ungodly righteous ...

Offline Seth

• Gold
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2009, 08:12:43 PM »
Oh, why not, Seth?  It would be so Edgar Allan Poe!! :bgdance:

Quote from: Seth on Today at 12:03:30 PM
Generally politicians will talk in universalist tones about their Christianity,

Except Al Gore. Not that hard with such a name 

He wanted to impress so He said: John 16:3 is my favorite verse.
But obviously he was meaning John 3:16

John 3:16  For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 16:3  And these things will they do unto you, because they have not known the Father, nor me.

:laughing7:

Offline firstborn888

• Bronze
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2009, 07:24:43 AM »

Generally politicians will talk in universalist tones about their Christianity, I believe, because they are in a position to please many people.

I don't think he did though when he was president and NEEDED some better ratings. He's already failed as a politician and don't think he has any reason to care about polls at this time. Also - Billy Graham didn't embrace univerlism until late in life and (unlike Carter) had the highest success in his field (all without embracing universalism).

I think it's for real. I do think what you are saying may apply to George though.   

Offline Seth

• Gold
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2009, 08:18:09 AM »
Well, Jimmy is actually still quite the politician....just not elected.

I'm not really questioning whether Jimmy's statements are genuine, just that I know that generally speaking, universalism is the best way to offend the least amount of people, who aren't fundies.

Offline Raggedy Anne

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2009, 08:18:52 AM »
I can't imagine Jimmy Carter not being a Universalist.  He is one of the few statesmen still living that I deeply admire.
Ours is not to make up anybody's mind, but to open hearts.
You cannot plough a field by turning it over in your mind.

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2009, 08:22:58 AM »
Presidents just read what's on the auto-cue...
So that's not much to go by.
Carter seems to teach in Bible class. That's something to go by.
Any of his teachings availible?
John 12:47  And if any man hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world.
Romans 4:5 But to the one who does not work, but believes in the one who declares the ungodly righteous ...

Tim B

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2009, 08:30:43 AM »

Generally politicians will talk in universalist tones about their Christianity, I believe, because they are in a position to please many people.

I don't think he did though when he was president and NEEDED some better ratings. He's already failed as a politician and don't think he has any reason to care about polls at this time. Also - Billy Graham didn't embrace univerlism until late in life and (unlike Carter) had the highest success in his field (all without embracing universalism).

I think it's for real. I do think what you are saying may apply to George though.   

Wait, BILLY GRAHAM embraces UR??

Offline Seth

• Gold
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2009, 08:42:20 AM »

I even have the youtube on my site: http://mercifultruth.com/graham.htm

Offline firstborn888

• Bronze
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2009, 08:51:52 AM »

He does say that even unbelievers can be saved "whether they are conscious of it or not". Strong hints here if not outright declaration
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNCnxA91fHE
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 08:56:13 AM by firstborn888 »

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2009, 08:58:22 AM »
He does say that even unbelievers can be saved "whether they are conscious of it or not". Strong hints here if not outright declaration
Can just as well be a Calvinistic "The elect" quote.

wolverine11989

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2009, 10:19:25 AM »
For some reason i knew something was special about this man ,he seemed very calm and peaceful on that documentary "God's Warriors".....i just never could put my finger on it ,he just seems like all around nice person.......

Offline firstborn888

• Bronze
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2009, 10:22:47 AM »
Can just as well be a Calvinistic "The elect" quote.

Yes, it's interesting though because, being a baptist, he believes ALL are called...

Shawn_71

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2009, 07:31:41 PM »
I was sharing some UR scriptures with my fiancee the other day(I'd never done that before, I was supprised how much we could agree on). and i mentioned how I believed there were many who shared Christian UR beliefs in various denominations but couldn't share for fear they wouldn't continue to be accepted in their organizations.

Seems like some might share their deeper beliefs more, later in life.

NinjaWizards777

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2009, 03:20:12 AM »

I even have the youtube on my site: http://mercifultruth.com/graham.htm

Doesnt sound like billy grahm is actually a universalist, but at least hes opening his mind to people being saved outside of those that just get the "right" beliefs before they die. Thats a big step in itself