Author Topic: Is there anyone on this forum who uses the Concordant Literal Bible?  (Read 12916 times)

Offline Doc

• Jesus Christ is the Savior of ALL men.
Re: Is there anyone on this forum who uses the Concordant Literal Bible?
« Reply #100 on: June 25, 2009, 10:23:21 PM »
I too which the CLNT used more triple horizontal lines showing more plural words.

The Fact-State verb form is an aorist. In the "Instructions for Use" pages 608,609 it is stated for the

FACT FORMS: Fact forms are indefinite as to time.

State Forms:
STATE or complete forms give the state resulting from an action.

FACT-STATE Forms:
Certain special verbs, because of their meaning, are a combined form, being both a FACT and a STATE.

Another nice thing about the CLNT is you can tell if something is absolutely not or relatively not by the use of a light faced "t" on the end of not. If light fact it is a relative not.

In 1 Corinthians 7:27 it is written:
You are bound to a wife? Do not seek to be loosed.
You have been loosed from a wife? Do not seek a wife.

Paul is not laying down a commandment like Moses and so does not say you must absolutely NOT seek to be loosed.

Another day, another thing learned... :thumbsup:
I have CLV only in electronic format. One in e-Sword and the other in ISA2.
I never noticed the little 'signs' in ISA2.
Is it possible that you post some information on teh exact use of the signs in ISA2?
(or another electronic version)
Thanks

I can't get the new version of e-sword to work with the plugins on my win 2k professional computer. I do have ISA2 on the computer...
The old version worked fine, but I wanted to get some of the newer plugins, which wouldn't work with the older version.
God does not instruct us to pray to change His mind. He wants us to pray so that we'll know His mind.

"Prayer doesn't change God, it changes me." --C.S. Lewis

God never had or needed a Plan B. He's still on Plan A.

Res Veritas Loquitur

Online WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #101 on: June 25, 2009, 10:39:24 PM »
I can't get the new version of e-sword to work with the plugins on my win 2k professional computer. I do have ISA2 on the computer...
The old version worked fine, but I wanted to get some of the newer plugins, which wouldn't work with the older version.
First of all e-Sword doesn't display the symbols Tony mentioned.

Minimal system requirements include:
Windows 95, 98, ME, NT4, 2000, XP, or Vista

So it should work....
Any specific errors?
Is your w2k fully up-to-date?

Haven't tried it myself because I hate online stuff: http://live.e-sword.net/
http://e-sword.net/feedback.html
1 Timothy 2:3-4  ...God our Savior;  Who will have all men to be saved...
John 12:47  And if any man hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world.
Romans 4:5 But to the one who does not work, but believes in the one who declares the ungodly righteous ...

Offline Tony N

• Bronze
    • Saviour of All Fellowship
« Reply #102 on: June 26, 2009, 03:57:17 PM »

Go here:
http://e-sword.net/extras.html

And go to the bottom of the page and snag this conversion utility:
e-Sword User Module Conversion Utility v9.0.3

You have to download all their bibles etc. all over again because they will work with the new esword. The Bibles etc. of older esword versions will not work with the new version.
Just because God says He will save all mankind
does not necessarily mean He won't.

Online WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #103 on: June 26, 2009, 04:21:54 PM »
Tony I don't think that's the solution because:
but I wanted to get some of the newer plugins, which wouldn't work with the older version.
Sounds like he already has plugins with an extention ending with an x. (= v9)

Doc,
Does the program install?
Does KJV, that comes with the main download, show up?
John 12:47  And if any man hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world.
Romans 4:5 But to the one who does not work, but believes in the one who declares the ungodly righteous ...

Online WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #104 on: June 27, 2009, 01:33:41 PM »
A "CLNT refuted" article: http://www.1john57.com/literalerror.htm

Online WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #106 on: June 28, 2009, 04:37:33 AM »
Tony,

Please answer reply 98 if you wish.

Offline Tony N

• Bronze
    • Saviour of All Fellowship
« Reply #107 on: June 28, 2009, 04:41:14 AM »
Tony,

Please answer reply 98 if you wish.

I don't know where 98 is. Can you copy and paste the reply of 98 here?
Just because God says He will save all mankind
does not necessarily mean He won't.

Online WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #108 on: June 28, 2009, 04:50:22 AM »
I too which the CLNT used more triple horizontal lines showing more plural words.

The Fact-State verb form is an aorist. In the "Instructions for Use" pages 608,609 it is stated for the

FACT FORMS: Fact forms are indefinite as to time.

State Forms:
STATE or complete forms give the state resulting from an action.

FACT-STATE Forms:
Certain special verbs, because of their meaning, are a combined form, being both a FACT and a STATE.

Another nice thing about the CLNT is you can tell if something is absolutely not or relatively not by the use of a light faced "t" on the end of not. If light fact it is a relative not.

In 1 Corinthians 7:27 it is written:
You are bound to a wife? Do not seek to be loosed.
You have been loosed from a wife? Do not seek a wife.

Paul is not laying down a commandment like Moses and so does not say you must absolutely NOT seek to be loosed.

Another day, another thing learned... :thumbsup:
I have CLV only in electronic format. One in e-Sword and the other in ISA2.
I never noticed the little 'signs' in ISA2.
Is it possible that you post some information on teh exact use of the signs in ISA2?
(or another electronic version)
Thanks

martincisneros

« Reply #109 on: June 28, 2009, 05:26:12 AM »
The Concordant is sooo intricate in it's little hints of stuff in the original languages that anyone considering buying a copy really needs to spend an hour or two getting some kind of idea of what those symbols are that are used throughout the translation, before even trying to read through the Concordant New Testament.  Some people will look at something in the HTML version of the Concordant online and will think about a few controversial passages where they have a polarized opinion about not only a doctrine but which passages in their minds couldn't possibly be talking about anything other than their certain doctrine, and think "uh...bad translation!!" partly because they're not often aware of all of the additional features in an actual Concordant Literal New Testament that'll tell you what's in the Greek text.  Additionally, the Concordant for me reformulated certain perspectives on which Scriptures that I actually now see it more clearly in than I did ever before, though I've had adjustments along the way of which promises of the Word covered such and such.  One of the things that I love about the Concordant is that it's as doctrinally neutral as they could possibly make it.

For instance, I've known the Concordant crowd to predominantly be cessationist, dispensational premillenialist, pre-trib rapture, etc.  Yet, the Concordant was one of the translations that helped to convince me of Postmillenialism in it's handling of things in Paul and John's Revelation.  My background prior to seeing UR is "Word of Faith" and if the Concordant New Testament were more well known in Word of Faith circles, the KJV would likely be abandoned in favor of it.  Seriously!!  That translation's extremely Pentecostal/Charismatic.  And I know that there were no attempts made at making it that way, but they were simply doing their best to report the facts of the original languages with the attitude of just letting the chips fall wherever they may!  One of the first few times I was reading through it, I was like "whoah!!! we've been saying that for years and didn't even know such and such a passage [in our most used translations] was obscuring our being able to [really] share that from there as well because of how the mainstream translations do something a little different."  It's still possible to be Trinitarian and quite a few other things that aren't necessarily uniformly the views of everyone in the Concordant Crowd.  Various things are established sooo much more clearly by some passages, while previously held "proof texts" may have gotten "sacrificed" along the way and it's a matter of working out your own salvation with fear and trembling and getting back to what the book actually has to say for a while and being humble and willing to be corrected about this or that. And often, what it'll wind up being is either a modification of your previous views, if they had any Biblical basis whatsoever previously, or you wind up swapping the passages you're basing your understanding on in favor of passages that more clearly establish such and such in the Greek.

In other words, if you're going to insist on a perspective of either ET or annihilationism, then you're going to be able to do it with the Concordant New Testament, but it won't be the traditional cliche passages like Matthew 25, 2Thessalonians 1, etc.  It would be a matter of how you chose to take other things in the translation either deliberately or your current level of light/darkness on the subject as the Holy Spirit is working His Written Word into your life.  Fundamentalists don't seem to get that about better translations.  What ought to matter is what the Word actually says, rather than the traditions received from your fathers -- no matter which of them is being brought into question by better translation work!  And if it's a valid perspective, or even remotely valid, then you're likely going to wind up basing it on other passages that are more accurately translated to allow lesser wiggle room to anybody but the Holy Spirit totally yanking the scales from the eyes.  A mistranslation or calling into question the translation of a traditionally accepted way of taking a passage is not inherently automatically a death blow to any doctrine, or not to very many in the Body of Christ.  What matters is what all of the Word has to say, and often with the more literal translations you're going to discover promises, provisions, or even threatenings, judgments, punishments, etc., that you never even knew where in there!  I'm growing more and more fond of the Concordant New Testament, but I'm Trinitarian, perhaps leaning towards being a PARTIAL preterist, though still a futurist about many aspects of Bible prophecy, as well as a believer in some passages that are being fulfilled right now -- I'm Postmillenialist, Word of Faith, UR, and hold to a few other things that it's not been time to even mention by name as to what the theologians would call that and the Concordant Literal New Testament isn't the least bit uncomfortable to me at all.  It simply challenged me, when I first got my hands on the translation, about what Scriptures I was basing things on.

Realistically, a good translation is simply going to do that rather than shape doctrine overtly.  You're wanting a good translation that'll make you fast, pray, read the Word, and meditate, meditate, meditate, meditate, MEDITATE!! on it until you're more honest with the Holy Spirit within you as to why you believe what you believe rather than that's how you were raised, what you were previously taught, or something you've simply held to because of the beliefs of someone you've respected highly has believed such and such, and after all, they're devoted to the Word!!  Some areas of insight in the Word aren't a matter of this person's right and this person's wrong, but will wind up being a matter of that particular person's calling that the Holy Spirit is awakening them to.  There is such a thing as sound doctrine in the Scriptures and the correct partitioning of the Word of Truth, so that you'll be fully equipped for any need whatsoever that could possibly ever come along.  However, [though you are to build your life entirely on God's Written Word,] you can't build your life TOTALLY on the Word and have nothing but a head full of doctrine that's simply figured out where all of the chess pieces fit.  There will be insights that'll be a matter of where all of the chess pieces fit where your own particular life is concerned -- while at the same time, being in absolutely zero violation of any major New Testament Christian doctrines.  Nobody's called to deny the Blood, the Holy Spirit at work supernaturally in the lives of those who obey Him, or to deny the resurrection, etc.  There is very clear heresy that the KJV would call "damnable heresy."  However, if the Word's more than a profession and is genuinely a lifestyle, there will be insights that are 100% true that simply apply such and such a truth to your particular overcoming lifestyle and may sound ODD to either anybody else or others of other streams of emphasis and application of the Word to the areas that they themselves face on a daily basis.

Offline Doc

« Reply #110 on: June 30, 2009, 10:26:36 PM »
but I wanted to get some of the newer plugins, which wouldn't work with the older version.

Doc,

The program installs and the included KJV shows up, but none of the plugins will work when installed. I already unfortunately deleted the old version of e-sword, so Tony's conversion fix won't work for me. It could be that I hadn't done the most recent update, or that I hadn't restarted yet. I'll do that and try again.
God does not instruct us to pray to change His mind. He wants us to pray so that we'll know His mind.

Res Veritas Loquitur

Offline Doc

« Reply #111 on: June 30, 2009, 10:34:29 PM »
Another thing I like about the CLV is that it eliminates many, (though not all) of the questionable additions to scripture. I have a hard copy on order.

Res Veritas Loquitur

Online WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #112 on: June 30, 2009, 11:16:12 PM »

Doc,

The program installs and the included KJV shows up, but none of the plugins will work when installed. I already unfortunately deleted the old version of e-sword, so Tony's conversion fix won't work for me. It could be that I hadn't done the most recent update, or that I hadn't restarted yet. I'll do that and try again.

Tony's conversion fix converts from version 8 to version 9. Not the otherway around.
Pre version 9 modules do NOT work in version 9. ALL Bibles, comentaries etc must have an extention ending on a x.
.bblx for example
So I want to suggest (re)installing v9 and download some stuff from the e-Sword site. It's all v9 compatible.

Anyway here you can download version 8.04: https://rcpt.yousendit.com/707627676/16859cf243523cf92d829471ec597e8d
Here 1.5 GB worth of v8 Bibles, maps, commentaries, etc:
https://rcpt.yousendit.com/707635856/34898c52133a3557894c9ad80dc2f31c
https://rcpt.yousendit.com/707635930/09d5d1b4338f98b79ce361eb637cdf60
https://rcpt.yousendit.com/707636060/f3a2dce9f755b9f86c41af155fb81d2f
https://rcpt.yousendit.com/707636190/93362f582646f11f600d1e1621d9521c
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 12:38:22 AM by WhiteWings »