Author Topic: Is there anyone on this forum who uses the Concordant Literal Bible?  (Read 10068 times)

lsmann2

Hello,
I've been here for less than a "work-week" of hours, and I have yet to see anyone post a scripture reference containing a quote from A.E. Knoch's Concordant Literal New Testament or the Concordant Version of the Hebrew Scriptures.
I have no "dog in the fight" over which Bible version to use, but I was introduced to the theology of Universal Reconciliation by A.E.Knoch's writings, including the Concordant Literal New Testament.
Is there a reason I don't see any references?

Lee

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
Re: Is there anyone on this forum who uses the Concordant Literal Bible?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 08:11:45 AM »
Think you just overlooked the verses.
People on this forum quite often quote all kinds of the (more) literal versions.
In fact I quoutes a verse from CLV yesterday.

Not being a KJV fan it's still the electronic version I use most because the Strongs linked to it are so handy.
Perhaps (many) others feel/do the same?
1 Timothy 2:3-4  ...God our Savior;  Who will have all men to be saved...
John 12:47  And if any man hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world.
Romans 4:5 But to the one who does not work, but believes in the one who declares the ungodly righteous ...

lsmann2

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 08:19:56 AM »
Thank-you for replying!
I have seen some inaccurracies presented in every version,(incuding the CLNT), but it has been, by far, the most usefull Bible I've ever picked up. With English being so idiomatic, its hard to find a version that "WON'T" pick up some of the predudices of the translators, but with a concordant method, at least I can see where those are at.

Lee

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 08:47:59 AM »
Lee,

Most Bible software allows you to compare a verse in different translations.
I often compare KJV with a handfull of teh more literal versions.

You may like: http://www.scripture4all.org/
It's free.
Contains CLV.
And above all shows you the source of CLV. -> more literal 1 on one translation.

I think it's well worth spending 30 minutes of your time one.
(after that you will use it quite often I think)
John 12:47  And if any man hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world.
Romans 4:5 But to the one who does not work, but believes in the one who declares the ungodly righteous ...

martincisneros

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2009, 03:23:24 PM »
I've never been able to get any of those online Bible software programs to work on my computer, either this one or the previous computer.  They'd download and open, and then it would be blank when I'd open it, even after downloading the accompanying modules for YLT and CV.  Just tried it again, just to prove to myself, that for whatever reason, ain't happenin' on any of the computers I use. LOL!  Checked every single menu and although the menu might say what you'd normally expect, nothing would come up under any setting.

lsmann2

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2009, 03:48:59 PM »
Thank-you WW. I'll give that a try when I get to a different computer. The software settings at work don't allow me to download files onto or thru the system.

Lee

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2009, 04:10:22 PM »
I've never been able to get any of those online Bible software programs to work on my computer, either this one or the previous computer.  They'd download and open, and then it would be blank when I'd open it, even after downloading the accompanying modules for YLT and CV.  Just tried it again, just to prove to myself, that for whatever reason, ain't happenin' on any of the computers I use. LOL!  Checked every single menu and although the menu might say what you'd normally expect, nothing would come up under any setting.

Talking about ISA Martin? That comes up with text out of the box.
I do give remote support. Just shout.....

lsmann2

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2009, 05:35:05 PM »
I downloaded the software and Add-on versions, but the only text that will come up when I'm off-line is the KJV, and the interlinear. The other tabs show up, but when they are highlited, the window is void of text.

Lee

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2009, 06:32:17 PM »
What version of Windows you have?

Windows XP, Vista,
Windows 2000 (needs gdiplus.dll)
Windows 98SE (needs gdiplus.dll)

ISA 2.0 RC7 does not work yet with Windows 7 RC but an update is underway.

.pdf versions
http://www.scripture4all.org/OnlineInterlinear/Hebrew_Index.htm
http://www.scripture4all.org/OnlineInterlinear/Greek_Index.htm

lsmann2

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2009, 06:52:20 PM »
XP 
I think that stands for "extra problems" :winkgrin:

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2009, 07:07:19 PM »
Don't have much Xtra Problems here.

ISA should work. Unfortunately should is not always equal to will....
Could be if your system isn't fully up to date.
Run Windows update if possible.
But first try downloading gdiplus.dll

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=6A63AB9C-DF12-4D41-933C-BE590FEAA05A&displaylang=en
or
http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?gdiplus
http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/pop.php?gdiplus

After unzipping, copy the "gdiplus.dll" file to the "c:\program files\ISA2\" directory.
or if you have a 64-bit XP
After unzipping, copy the "gdiplus.dll" file to the "c:\program files (x86)\ISA2\" directory.

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2009, 07:12:58 PM »
Just reinstalled the program.
I got a warning box:

Input fields displaying Hebrew text with vowel signs will not
display correctly.
To resolve this, install the files for complex script and right-
to-left languages.
Did you follow those instructions?

Should only affect the Hebrew (OT) I think.

martincisneros

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2009, 08:28:20 PM »
XP 
I think that stands for "extra problems" :winkgrin:
I thought it was just my computer.  I miss Windows2000 Professional BADLY!!!!!!!!!  I want that program on the latest, best hardware and processor with obscene amounts of video memory, RAM, and harddrive space.  And it would probably mean having to have a bunch of updates and whatever weird plug-ins or whatever else to have the latest programs otherwise.  But I wouldn't care.  I want a computer that makes sense and does what I tell it to do and that doesn't ignore the clicking of a shortcut to a program I'd paid for, that happens to be my registry repair program so that there's no way of fixing the darn shortcut without it!  I can access every program, or most of them, on this computer that have been freebies, but anything I've paid for and "good luck."  I just want someone to STOP THE INSANITY!!! with these computers since I've heard that Vista's worse, although I'm tempted by Vista Ultimate, but am not sure if I know anybody with it that could give it the :thumbdown: :thumbdown: or the :2thumbs:

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2009, 08:50:15 PM »
MS extended the life of XP. Major box shifters like Dell still have XP preinstalled.
That should give you enough info....

As for the shortcut. You can just directly run the program. Or edit the shortcut. Or create a new one.

I can access every program, or most of them, on this computer that have been freebies, but anything I've paid for and "good luck."

What lesson did you learn from that....?  :laughing7:

ISA2 is free so should work  :winkgrin:

martincisneros

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2009, 09:34:12 PM »
As for the shortcut. You can just directly run the program. Or edit the shortcut. Or create a new one.
No, I haven't been able to run it directly either going to start up and hitting run or from the menu of programs.  Neither options have worked.  They work when they want to, or when the computer's brain is back from lunch or coffee or messin' around with the cute laptop in the next building.  I still catch the computer every once in a while still putting back on it's outer case.  Friggin' perv! :icon_jokercolor:
Don't buy cheap programs.  If there's a $30 to $35 version and a $99, then wait until I can comfortably buy the $99.
ISA2 is free so should work  :winkgrin:
Still doesn't.  But I'll mess with it later when I really have an interest in having a Bible on my computer.  I've been sharing the Gospel online since August of '01, (I'm thinking that's about when AbbasChild ran across me and joined the mailing list at the time.) although I think others had snuck a thing or two of mine online previous to that.  But in the time that I've been online, have always just used my spirit's memory, my Bibles, and biblegateway.com and in more recent years studylight.org  Usually if I want to mess with Greek and Hebrew beyond my current at home resources, then I'll wander over to a really great Christian bookstore called Mardel that's a couple of miles from me or so, and it's an excuse to look through everything from the Reference section to the devotionals to the current debates about stuff to whether or not there are any Bibles worth buying and to hang out in the music department listening to CDs I don't have in case there's either anything I want to buy or come home and download from online. 

If I could have my internet connection in the middle of a Mardel, I'd be extremely happy.  It's like a Christian version of Barnes and Noble.  A bit bigger than a lot of the other Christian bookstores I've seen.  Homeschooling supplies for kids of all ages from really really little to ministerial stuff like communion sets, baptismal certificates and blank ordination cards and certificates, to all of the light pop Christian reading and music to the various types of Christian artwork someone might want to accent their home with is all right there.  I'd rather hang out there, to be perfectly honest, than to even be online.  I've offered to work there several times even if it was just minimum wage, but never have been hired yet.  I genuinely love the place THAT MUCH.  Funny if they happened to google applicants or if I was more notorious than I realized locally, but perhaps God keeping me from working there to keep me focused on what I'm doing right now. 

God's kept me online for a reason, and I'm starting to understand what He had in mind all along as His primary reason, besides the ultimate of ministering to a wider selection of people from all walks of life.  I could hang out there all day everyday and never even miss the internet in the slightest with one exception that I won't get into here.  But I'll mess around with the downloadable Bible software every once in a while as a possible teaching tool for helping my roommate the brief moments they're open to my sharing anything, since they're a bit leery of the flow my Biblical understanding has been taking this decade.  Dumping Hell, they could kinda see, but dumping carnal rapture and some other stuff and now I've really crossed over the line supposedly!

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2009, 09:59:35 PM »
Don't buy cheap programs.  If there's a $30 to $35 version and a $99, then wait until I can comfortably buy the $99
The $99 versions very often are 100% the same as the $30 version. It's the password that unlocks more functionality.

Personally I buy nothing without having tested it.

BTW I sell ISA2 for $99. Should be stable then  :laughing7:

martincisneros

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2009, 10:43:47 PM »
No thanks! LOL!  I know what you mean that higher price isn't always better and you've really got to do your homework on it before you buy.  I use a lot of freebies on this computer, like Avast antiviral home edition -- although I've tried the professional version and genuinely hope to permanently transition to having that one ASAP.  But it's like $80 a year or something like that.  But I'll download the trial version every once in a while and use it for the 90 days.  The annoying popups about it's about to expire can get on your last nerves though.  I've got a couple of spyware and adware programs that are freebies, and I use the free version of Skype.  Haven't yet signed up for an actual phone number via it 'cause I'm leery of pay as you go phones.  The EXTREMELY RARE times I'm on the phone, it's usually at least an hour or more.  Got someone I'm hoping to spend a bit more time than that in prayer with on the phone one of these days, and if I were using "pay as you go" that would really really eat my lunch.  So, so far, just a regular land line or a MetroPCS have sufficed, besides freebie Skype.  I'm not against freebie programs, but there is the occasional program where they lure you in with the trial version doing 2 out of the 75 things it's capable of doing and you wind up weighing whether you need the extra 73 options and if even 20 to 40 of them (or even a dozen) make total sense for your needs, then you tend to get the card out and hope for the best when they send you the key that'll unlock the rest of it.

martincisneros

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2009, 10:49:11 PM »
Very likely nobody that's a regular to these boards will be able to receive this, but since this is a publicly viewable board, I'll go ahead and share the Word of the Lord that just came to me for any lurkers, particularly from my Charismatic/Word of Faith background that would understand this without my elaborating on what I'm saying in the light of my previous post that the Lord put this in the framework with: "the tithe is the registry key."

Again, I won't argue it or whatever, and it's only for those that have ears to hear what the Spirit is saying on that, with regards to flowing with His High Priestly ministry in the earth.

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2009, 10:57:07 PM »
No thanks! LOL!  I know what you mean that higher price isn't always better and you've really got to do your homework on it before you buy.  I use a lot of freebies on this computer, like Avast antiviral home edition -- although I've tried the professional version and genuinely hope to permanently transition to having that one ASAP.  But it's like $80 a year or something like that. 

I would like to suggest trying this one: http://www.eset.com/products/nod32.php
$40 for the first year
$28 for renewals
Or cheaper if bought in 2-year 'contracts'

Try the demo. And get hooked like almost all who tried it.

Tim B

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2009, 04:28:13 AM »
I like to use the Rotherham's Emphasized Bible. It's on my iPod Touch.  :bigGrin: Unfortunately though, I usually keep my iPod out in my car, so I usually wind up using biblegateway.com. Generally I use the Amplified Bible and the Young's Literal Translation (when I'm on that website).

ducktapehero

« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2009, 03:26:08 PM »

If I could have my internet connection in the middle of a Mardel, I'd be extremely happy.  It's like a Christian version of Barnes and Noble.  A bit bigger than a lot of the other Christian bookstores I've seen. !
There's a Mardel up in Springfield. You're right, it's a great store. And often they'll drop prices on certain things 50%-75% when they need to make room. IIRC they are affiliated with Hobby Lobby, which is another great store.

trettep

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2009, 05:35:45 AM »
Hello,
I've been here for less than a "work-week" of hours, and I have yet to see anyone post a scripture reference containing a quote from A.E. Knoch's Concordant Literal New Testament or the Concordant Version of the Hebrew Scriptures.
I have no "dog in the fight" over which Bible version to use, but I was introduced to the theology of Universal Reconciliation by A.E.Knoch's writings, including the Concordant Literal New Testament.
Is there a reason I don't see any references?

Lee

Based on my experience here, someone awhile back posted some verses from the CLV and it led me to conclude that it promoted some blasphemous renderings so I don't use it at all now.  I have it loaded only to see what others see the context that others who quote from the CLV see.

Paul

lsmann2

« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2009, 06:24:33 AM »
I know every time I've used it in a "church" setting, "the powers that be" have told me it's a really bad translation.
Since they are all trained theologians from Dallas, I've become even more attached to it! :thumbsup:
When the fire-breathing "Satan's gonna live forever" crowd fights something tooth and nail, there's gotta be something really good about it.

Lee

Online jabcat

• Admin
  • SINNER SAVED BY GRACE
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2009, 06:36:51 AM »
Dallas  :happygrin:.  My sister said this past week that her pastor (Baptist) knows a lot about the Greek.  I said the seminaries usually have their own interpretations of what the words mean...didn't sense that went over real big. 

The CLV is not my absolute favorite, but I do use it;  it's one of my favorites.  James (reFormer) quotes from it a lot.  I usually quote from The Christian Bible (1991), Young's, or (though IMO it's less accurate but I like the way it reads) the New American Standard.
Neither should there be vulgar speech, foolish talk, or coarse jesting--all of which are out of character--but rather thanksgiving.  Eph. 5:4  **  Saved 1John 3.2, Eph. 2:8, John 1:12 - Being saved 2Cor. 4:16 2Peter 3:18 - Will be saved 1Peter 1:5 Romans 8:23

Offline Beloved Servant

• Gold
  • David's sling
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2009, 06:43:09 AM »
I like to read the Weymouth translation.
It has that English prose to it like the King James.
But, as I understand, less error.