Author Topic: Idle Babbler  (Read 2244 times)

Offline claypot

• Bronze
Idle Babbler
« on: September 14, 2009, 05:31:15 PM »
Hey Gang, I just had some thoughts and I want to send them to some of my more traditional believing friends and I wondered if any of you might think it's too hard too understand or even correct at all. Here it is......

Now while Paul waited at Athens, his spirit was provoked within him as he beheld the city full of idols.  17  So he reasoned in the synagogue with Jews and the devout persons, and in the marketplace every day with them that met him.  18  And certain also of the Epicurean and Stoic philosophers encountered him. And some said, What would this babbler say? others, He seems to be a setter forth of strange gods: because he preached Jesus and the resurrection.  19  And they took hold of him, and brought him unto the Areopagus, saying, May we know what this new teaching is, which is spoken by you?  20  For you bring certain strange things to our ears: we want to know therefore what these things mean.acts17.16

Paul waited=God is patient while people are in their carnal condition.
The Lord is not  slack  concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.2peter3.9

his spirit=Holy Spirit

city=people

idols=wrong views of God

in the synagogue/Jews & devout persons=with the 'religion' within people

marketplace=carnality within people

Epicurean and Stoic philosophers=our traditional non Biblical beliefs

strange gods=the One True God is strange to false views of God

Jesus and the resurrection=As in Adam all die, in Christ shall all live.1cor15.22/1Tim4.10-11!!!

Areopagus=highest in peoples 'natural' thinking.1cor2.14

new teaching=The Good News!

strange things=spiritual things verses carnal or natural. (Now the natural man receives not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him; and he cannot know them, because they are spiritually judged. But he that is spiritual judges all things1cor2.14)

We want to know=But when it pleased God….to reveal his Son in me…….gala1.15
For it is God which works in you both to will and to do of His good pleasure.phil2.13

cp
For it is God who works in us to will and to do of His good pleasure.

Tim B

Re: Idle Babbler
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 07:29:03 PM »
Sounds pretty reasonable to me. I'm not sure what you could add, subtract or adjust to make it better.

Online Seth

• Gold
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 07:40:33 PM »
Sounds good to me too

"Epicurean and Stoic philosophers=our traditional non Biblical beliefs"

I would say yes to that. I see it this way too:

Epicurean and Stoic philosophers=leaning on our own self-generated understanding

Offline claypot

• Bronze
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2009, 08:09:08 PM »
Thanks Tim and Seth. Your comments mean and help much!

Any others?

cp

Sadie

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2009, 11:11:39 PM »
gang,

Here is my 2 cents.

Athens was also the religious center of Greece- virtually every deity known to man could be worshiped there. Paul viewed Athens as a city of lost humanity, all doomed to a Christless eternity because of rampant pagan idolatry.

Epicurean philosophy taught the chief end of man was the avoidance of pain. Epicureans were materialists- they did not deny the existence of God, but they believed He did not become involved with the affairs of men. When a person died, they believed his body and soul disintegrated. Stoic philosophy taught self-mastery- that the goal in life was to reach a place of indifference to pleasure pain. The babbler Lit "seed picker". some of the philosophers viewed Paul as an amateur philosopher- one who had no ideas of his own but only picked among prevailing philosophies and constructed one with no depth.  :2c:

Offline Cardinal

• < Moderator >
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2009, 11:51:19 PM »
 :cloud9: Good  :2c:, Sadie.......Blessings....
"I would rather train twenty men to pray, than a thousand to preach; A minister's highest mission ought to be to teach his people to pray." -H. MacGregor

Online Seth

• Gold
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2009, 12:39:42 AM »
Great info, thanks Sadie

Offline claypot

• Bronze
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2009, 01:14:00 AM »
It all fits rather nicely.

cp

Offline Taffy

• Gold
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2009, 01:30:37 AM »
Good thread guys :icon_flower: :icon_flower: :icon_flower: :icon_flower:

and ditto
good two cents Sadie
Isa 29:18 And in that day shall the deaf hear the words of the book, and the eyes of the blind shall see out of obscurity, and out of darkness.

Offline Beloved Servant

• Gold
  • David's sling
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2009, 01:34:09 AM »
A little farther down in the chapter:

23 For, passing through and contemplating the objects of your veneration, I found a pedestal also, on which had been inscribed, 'To an Unknowable God.' To Whom then, you are ignorantly devout, This One am I announcing to you.

Amazing how the Father always prepares the Way.

Offline claypot

• Bronze
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2009, 04:19:47 AM »
Thanks for all the good thoughts.

I just see that scripture has got to be a spiritual language hidden in physical words. All physical life seems to be the outer garment for the spiritual life.

God is the prize and He is spirit.

Take the rich man and Lazurus (sp?). What good does it really do to interpret it in a physical way? The story of Adam and Eve in Genesis too. Truly makes no sense other than a tip or two on how to be good today, other than that, nothing. Big deal.Think about the truths they are teaching spiritually and, watch out, explosion time! The realm of the spiritual is as deep as it is mysterious.

Oh well, just thinking.

cp

Offline Taffy

• Gold
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2009, 04:32:45 AM »
Thanks for all the good thoughts.

I just see that scripture has got to be a spiritual language hidden in physical words. All physical life seems to be the outer garment for the spiritual life.

God is the prize and He is spirit.

Take the rich man and Lazurus (sp?). What good does it really do to interpret it in a physical way? The story of Adam and Eve in Genesis too. Truly makes no sense other than a tip or two on how to be good today, other than that, nothing. Big deal.Think about the truths they are teaching spiritually and, watch out, explosion time! The realm of the spiritual is as deep as it is mysterious.

Oh well, just thinking.

cp
Truth be Known CP, the core message emains constantly the same :icon_flower:
Isa 29:18 And in that day shall the deaf hear the words of the book, and the eyes of the blind shall see out of obscurity, and out of darkness.

Offline peacemaker

• Bronze
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2009, 04:56:14 AM »
"The central part of any fleshy fruit, contains the seeds."

peacemaker

Offline Taffy

• Gold
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2009, 05:03:31 AM »

peacemaker
:thumbsup:

Offline claypot

• Bronze
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2009, 03:53:47 PM »
I hear ya taf and pm. How come you 2 can usually say so much with so few words!!!!!

A mind of carnality has sure been plaguing me lately. Tis a devil that is hard to shake sometimes. Have to concentrate.............some fasting and prayer, and I don't mean just the physical kind!

cp

Offline Cardinal

• < Moderator >
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2009, 08:43:17 PM »

peacemaker

:cloud9: I like that too PM  :thumbsup: Blessings.....
"I would rather train twenty men to pray, than a thousand to preach; A minister's highest mission ought to be to teach his people to pray." -H. MacGregor

Offline peacemaker

• Bronze
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2009, 07:30:53 AM »
I hear ya taf and pm. How come you 2 can usually say so much with so few words!!!!!

A mind of carnality has sure been plaguing me lately. Tis a devil that is hard to shake sometimes. Have to concentrate.............some fasting and prayer, and I don't mean just the physical kind!

Often times, CP, we need to empty out the smoke filled rooms; aerating the soul with a gentle wind.

Offline claypot

• Bronze
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2009, 03:52:30 PM »

Often times, CP, we need to empty out the smoke filled rooms; aerating the soul with a gentle wind.

Amen and thanks pm.

cp

Offline Doc

• Jesus Christ is the Savior of ALL men.
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2009, 02:28:55 AM »

peacemaker

With the exception of Strawberries...  :Whistle:
God does not instruct us to pray to change His mind. He wants us to pray so that we'll know His mind.

"Prayer doesn't change God, it changes me." --C.S. Lewis

God never had or needed a Plan B. He's still on Plan A.

Res Veritas Loquitur

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2009, 09:48:58 AM »

peacemaker

With the exception of Strawberries...  :Whistle:
Straw berries are wheat. Wheat is full of seed. :laughing7:
1 Timothy 2:3-4  ...God our Savior;  Who will have all men to be saved...
John 12:47  And if any man hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world.
Romans 4:5 But to the one who does not work, but believes in the one who declares the ungodly righteous ...