Author Topic: Freedom from carnality and fleshly sin...  (Read 1721 times)

Offline Dallas

Freedom from carnality and fleshly sin...
« on: April 23, 2010, 02:36:46 AM »
Galatians 5:16 "But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not carry out the desire of the flesh. 17 For the flesh sets its desire against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; for these are in opposition to one another, so that you may not do the things that you please."

24 "Now those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires."

Colossians 2:10 "and in Him you have been made complete, and He is the head over all rule and authority; 11 and in Him you were also circumcised with a circumcision made without hands, in the removal of the body of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ"

1 John 3:6 "No one who abides in Him sins; no one who sins has seen Him or knows Him.

The idea that we still are flawed and weak in fleshly sin, temporarily stumble in carnality is not a bible concept I can find. Is there carnality and fleshly indulgance in the world (in unbelievers) yes, but according to scripture, believers have come out from that, for the believer that has been overcome... John even goes as far as to eliminate any ones claim to the inclusion if they live in such things.

Syndicated

Re: Freedom from carnality and fleshly sin...
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 04:35:08 AM »

1 John 3:6 "No one who abides in Him sins; no one who sins has seen Him or knows Him.

I can honestly say that I was never taught anything like this from the church growing up. I can kinda see why too... it's pretty harsh!  It would have to exclude most of, if not ALL of the church memebers from even KNOWING Christ!  Talk about a mental bash to the head! :mshock:

I was always taught that I am a sinner, saved by grace, but I'm still a sinner none the less and always WILL be, even if I DO accept Him and "know" Him.  According to this verse, that's pretty backwards!

I need to sit on this one for a while...  Thanks for showing this!

Offline eaglesway

• < Moderator >
  • Grace & Peace be multiplied unto you, in Jesus
    • Hell is a Myth.com
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 04:31:37 PM »
If anyone sees his brother committing a sin not leading to death, he shall ask and God will for him give life to those who commit sin not leading to death. There is a sin leading to death; I do not say that he should make request for this. All unrighteousness is sin, and there is a sin not leading to death. We know that no one who is born of God sins; but He who was born of God keeps him, and the evil one does not touch him.
(1Jn 5:16-18)

And I, brethren, could not speak to you as to spiritual, but as to fleshy, as to minors in Christ." Milk I give you to drink, not solid food, for not as yet were you able. Nay, still, not even now are you able, for you are still fleshly. For where there is jealousy and strife among you, are you not fleshly and walking according to man? For whenever anyone may be saying, "I, indeed, am of Paul,yet another, "I, of Apollos,will he not be fleshly?
(1Co 3:1-4)

This is the message we have heard from Him and announce to you, that God is Light, and in Him there is no darkness at all. If we say that we have fellowship with Him and yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth; but if we walk in the Light as He Himself is in the Light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus His Son cleanses us from all sin. If we say that we have no sin, we are deceiving ourselves and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar and His word is not in us.
(1Jn 1:5-10)

Now if any man builds on the foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw, each man's work will become evident; for the day will show it because it is to be revealed with fire, and the fire itself will test the quality of each man's work. If any man's work which he has built on it remains, he will receive a reward. If any man's work is burned up, he will suffer loss; but he himself will be saved, yet so as through fire.
(1Co 3:12-15)
The Logos is complete, but it is not completely understood. hellisamyth.webs.com

Offline Nathan

• Gold
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 04:50:45 PM »
For me, because I am both flesh and spirit, I see that in the spirit, sin can not enter.  So when I walk in the spirit, sin is not the topic for emphasis.  It's lost it's power over me.  It still exists in the realm of the flesh, but for those who pass from flesh to spirit inwardly even while they're in the flesh outwardly, they can live free from the power of sin both inwardly and outwardly.

But as I walk "in" the flesh, then sin abounds.  I become consumed by it because I don't "see" through God's eyes.  It's not that my flesh becomes immune to carnal things.  It's more that the power of carnality has no hold on me so as I mature more and more in Christ, the power of sin has less and less affect. 

Spiritually I am perfect.  Naturally, I am perfected, but I continue walking in the "process" of that perfection.  So yeah, there will stil be days where my flesh not only is tempted, but it willingly sins . . .which remember, simply means I miss the mark . . .  What is the mark??  Perhaps it's the will of God for my life "today"?  When I walk in the flesh, I step out of his will . . .but even when I step out of his will, I don't have the power to alter his plan.  Redemption is already at work in every aspect of my life. 

The bottom line is for me not to monitor my success or failure of what I'm doing in the natural, but simply to continue to pursue him in the spirit.  Let "Him" worry about the rest of it.

Offline Cardinal

• < Moderator >
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 05:13:16 PM »
 :cloud9:   :thumbsup:
"I would rather train twenty men to pray, than a thousand to preach; A minister's highest mission ought to be to teach his people to pray." -H. MacGregor

Offline Beloved Servant

• Gold
  • David's sling
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 06:02:14 PM »

Now, like never before,
I have this compelling desire within me to walk in the Spirit 24-hours a day.
In the not so distant past,
I would "remember" to pray and read the Word.

Now, He is almost constantly on my mind and
it is a chore to do earthly things which draw me away for the moment.
I pray Lord to take on the nature of You.
I could not fathom reading any other book but the Bible.
I give thanks for the food before I eat and daily it is coming to me to give thanks in everything.
In public, it is becoming ever so evident that the countenance of people reveals what the container keeps inside.
In some I see Jesus, in most I see greed, lust, strife, envy, sorrow, desperation or whatever is seen through their transparency.

Acts 7:33;
"Now the Lord said to him, 'Loose the sandals from your feet, for the place on which you stand is holy land.'

Offline Nathan

• Gold
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2010, 06:20:32 PM »
There is a saying and often used as a warning about being so heavenly minded that you're no longer any earthly good.  It was aimed at people who were emphasizing the giddiness (quickening) of the affects of being in the presence of God.  And I guess, if it's the manifestations that one is emphasizing then perhaps there may be some warrant to the warning.

However, I'm not so supportive of the clichet anymore because I to, believe the will of the Father "today" is that we not just walk in the spirit, but that we live there.  That it becomes our dwelling place.  That we live "in" him as much as we claim he lives "in" us.  When I get to the point where I'm fully heavenly minded, then I think that's when I "finally" can be of some earthly good.  Only when we walk in the spirit can we exercise our spiritual authority in the flesh.

Offline Cardinal

• < Moderator >
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2010, 08:00:24 PM »
 :cloud9: That saying was a thorn in my flesh the whole time I was in the churches because all I wanted to do was know Him, study the Word, and talk about Him, as He consumed me. At the time, I couldn't understand why so few others were as "radical" as I was made out to be. Fortunately for me, their "wisdom" didn't "take". Blessings....
"I would rather train twenty men to pray, than a thousand to preach; A minister's highest mission ought to be to teach his people to pray." -H. MacGregor

Offline Beloved Servant

• Gold
  • David's sling
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2010, 08:02:08 PM »

That cliche never sat right with me either.
I just ignored it.

Offline peacemaker

• Bronze
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2010, 12:40:05 AM »
The bottom line is for me not to monitor my success or failure of what I'm doing in the natural, but simply to continue to pursue him in the spirit.  Let "Him" worry about the rest of it.

Sin is nothing but Self-Induced Nonsense.  :thumbsup:

Offline Beloved Servant

• Gold
  • David's sling
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2010, 12:49:40 AM »

As the Body of Christ jointly fits together;
peacemaker;
you certainly are an oracle of wit.

Offline eaglesway

• < Moderator >
  • Grace & Peace be multiplied unto you, in Jesus
    • Hell is a Myth.com
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2010, 06:52:06 AM »
If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God. Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth. For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God.
(Col 3:1-3)

If you are too heavenly minded to be any earthly good then you will be translated probably, as was Enoch.

You may be too heavenly minded to be any earthly good to the earthly, that will get you killed probably- but your resurrection will be all the more glorious for it.

The more heavenly minded you are, the more the kingdom God is revealed through you, which means many will hear but few will understand.

The more heavenly minded you get the less you will care about what anybody thinks about it.
The Logos is complete, but it is not completely understood. hellisamyth.webs.com

Offline Pierac

• Bronze
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2010, 08:24:20 AM »
http://www.askelm.com/books/book002.htm

So should I get this book?  :dontknow:

How much division from the orthodox church can one person take? :laughing7:

Paul

BTY, Sorry Dallas... I asked because Paul's writings are listed in our scripture in relation to the size of his letters, not the date of authorship!   :msealed:
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 08:30:16 AM by Pierac »

Offline Nathan

• Gold
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2010, 05:39:28 PM »
I may order one myself.  Sounds interesting.

Offline CHB

• Silver
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2010, 05:50:52 PM »
http://www.askelm.com/books/book002.htm

So should I get this book?  :dontknow:

How much division from the orthodox church can one person take? :laughing7:

Paul

BTY, Sorry Dallas... I asked because Paul's writings are listed in our scripture in relation to the size of his letters, not the date of authorship!   :msealed:

Every one should read this book.  I think you can read it on line, at least it was available on line at one time don't know if it is now or not.
It sure clears up a lot of confusion as to why James says "works without faith is dead" while Paul is saying, "it is by the faith of Jesus Christ and not by works".

CHB

Offline Dallas

« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2010, 03:00:55 AM »
BTY, Sorry Dallas... I asked because Paul's writings are listed in our scripture in relation to the size of his letters, not the date of authorship!

Have no idea what you are even talking about, or refering to... :dontknow: