Author Topic: Carthage or Rome?  (Read 1232 times)

Jerm

Carthage or Rome?
« on: November 24, 2008, 05:04:37 AM »
Regarding the theological schools during the first few centuries, I come across some slight confusion.  Every article on the subject I've read states that through the first 4 to 5 centuries of Christianity, there were 6 main theological schools.  4 taught UR, 1 taught ED, and 1 taught ET.  All are agreed on the numbers, just not the cities.  Some articles say the ET school was in Rome, others say it was Carthage.  Does anyone with a good historical base know which it was?

valueallhumanlife2008

Re: Carthage or Rome?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 05:35:10 AM »
I'm pretty sure Rome is the one that taught ET.

I know the schools in Alexandria and Antioch taught UR.  Not sure what the others schools are.

Offline Tony N

• Bronze
    • Saviour of All Fellowship
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008, 03:45:43 PM »
From Wikipedia I found this. I doubt it is helpful but Carthage was to the west and south of Rome, part of northern Africa I believe:

By 122 BC, Gaius Gracchus founded a short-lived colonia, called Colonia Iunonia, after the Latin name for the punic goddess Tanit, Iuno caelestis. The purpose was to obtain arable lands for impoverished farmers. The Senate abolished the colony some time later, in order to undermine Gracchus power. After this ill-fated attempt, a new city of Carthage was built on the same land, and by the 1st century it had grown to the second largest city in the western half of the Roman empire, with a peak population of 500,000[citation needed]. It was the center of the Roman province of Africa, which was a major breadbasket of the empire.

Carthage also became a center of early Christianity. In the first of a string of rather poorly reported Councils at Carthage a few years later, no fewer than seventy bishops attended. Tertullian later broke with the mainstream that was represented more and more by the bishop of Rome, but a more serious rift among Christians was the Donatist controversy, which Augustine of Hippo spent much time and parchment arguing against. In 397 at the Council at Carthage, the biblical canon for the western Church was confirmed.
Just because God says He will save all mankind
does not necessarily mean He won't.

Jerm

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2008, 01:51:23 AM »
Does that mean that Carthage was the city the school was in, but it taught the Roman view?