Author Topic: Best verse to support the aeon argument?  (Read 1035 times)

Paul

Best verse to support the aeon argument?
« on: June 23, 2008, 07:28:36 PM »
But the saints of the most High shall take the kingdom, and possess the kingdom for ever, even for ever and ever. (Daniel 7:18 KJV)

Yet the saints of the supremacies shall receive the kingdom and they will safeguard the kingdom unto the eon, even unto the eon of the eons. (CLV)

Offline studier

• Restricted
Re: Best verse to support the aeon argument?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 07:53:04 PM »
You know that is the same as saying, time after time. The usage of the words, is what matters. If I say this happens time and time again, what am I saying?

bobf

Re: Best verse to support the aeon argument?
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 01:06:24 AM »
For me this one is the best.

Isaiah 61:1 The Spirit of the Lord GOD is upon me; because the LORD hath anointed me to preach good tidings unto the meek; he hath sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to them that are bound; 2 To proclaim the acceptable year of the LORD, and the day of vengeance of our God; to comfort all that mourn; 3 To appoint unto them that mourn in Zion, to give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; that they might be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the LORD, that he might be glorified. 4 And they shall build the old wastes, they shall raise up the former desolations, and they shall repair the waste cities, the desolations of many generations.

The word "old" here is olam in Hebrew and aionion in the LXX.

I like this one because the subject here is actually an aionion judgment contrasted with salvation.  The 'eternal' wastes are the result of reaping what was sown by not obeying God i.e. 'day of vengeance of our God'.  Yet those 'eternal' wastes will be repaired and restored by 'them' i.e. Christ in His saints.

ashes ---> beauty
mourning ---> comfort
heaviness ---> praise
captivity ---> liberty

aionion wastes ---> restored