Author Topic: Admitting Our Bias  (Read 1449 times)

lsmann2

Admitting Our Bias
« on: June 03, 2009, 05:53:03 AM »
I'm brand new here and within two posts I've managed to stir some pretty deep seated responses, (and potential strife) within this very forum! (I know it's hard to believe, but I have!)
Many here have established thier opinions in countless postings and letters which I haven't had opportunity to read or digest.
I would only ask that, as my own ignorance is revealed to you,that you would take a patient approach to my musings.
I have very definate biases that come into play, (and come to light) when I express a thought.
It seems to me that God has revealed His will and Word to me in very incremental steps.
Some may have been granted total knowedge and understanding into the mind of God. I have not. God is still teaching me. Please don't "lock me out" for my own lack of understanding at your level.
I am willing to admit to a very definite bias in the way I approach Scripture.
My bias today is quite different from the "tradition" that I've come out of.
These differences shouldn't cause us to tear down. They should motivate us to turn to God's Word for the answers to our differences. I'm not here to "straighten out" anyone. I will respect those who don't see things "my way".
I once found the "perfect church". Only my wife and I were members. Then I had to ex-communicate her for heresy!

Lee

Offline jabcat

• Admin
  • SINNER SAVED BY GRACE
Re: Admitting Our Bias
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 06:03:24 AM »
I agree.  Sometimes I get frustrated that we don't more often express ourselves as things being "in my opinion" or "as I understand it".  Maybe we should just assume and mentally attach to each and every post "that's the way they see it..doesn't NECESSARILY mean they're right and I'm wrong, or vice versa".  Seems we've got a few hundred thousand POVs, and everyone's right...many times "in our own eyes". :coolsmile:.  I ought'a know...I've done it, and still do  :thumbdown:.

Sometimes we'll take a few scriptures and build a complete doctrine on it.  When in fact, one can dig a little deeper and find more to the story.  For instance, I see you've made a couple of posts regarding Israel.  (As usual) I'm somewhere in the middle of extremes.  I don't think God's a racist or respector of persons, and I believe the only access for any of us, Jew or Gentile is through Jesus Christ.  However, I don't believe God is through yet with natural Israel in His grand scheme of things.  Who that exactly is, I don't know (God does).  What His complete plan is, I don't know (God does).  As I stated earlier tonight, many of my beliefs are in flux, and I've been shown wrong too many times to (hopefully, with God's help) dig in too hard on most topics.  If I don't, I just might learn something yet.

Hang in there.  You've got nothing to apologize for.  I'm not always good at it, I get my hackles up as well...sometimes worse than others.  But I still believe we need to favor each other, preferring one another in love.  Though I certainly believe we need to seek and be open to the truth, we are ALL still human and see through a glass darkly.  In the end, it won't be if I had every single doctrine 100% correct...it will be how much I loved my Savior and how open and humble my heart is before Him.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 06:10:15 AM by jabcat »
Neither should there be vulgar speech, foolish talk, or coarse jesting--all of which are out of character--but rather thanksgiving.  Eph. 5:4  **  Saved 1John 3.2, Eph. 2:8, John 1:12 - Being saved 2Cor. 4:16 2Peter 3:18 - Will be saved 1Peter 1:5 Romans 8:23

Offline Beloved Servant

• Gold
  • David's sling
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 06:15:01 AM »
We need to meet the same end as John the baptist.
For we are the body.

Paul Hazelwood

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2009, 06:18:23 AM »
Nothing inherantly wrong with speaking ones mind, but we should look at the reason we speak.  

1C 13:1 If I should be speaking in the languages of humanmen and of the messengers, yet should have no love, I have become resounding copper or a clanging cymbal.

Offline Pierac

• Bronze
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2009, 06:27:00 AM »
I'm brand new here and within two posts I've managed to stir some pretty deep seated responses, (and potential strife) within this very forum! (I know it's hard to believe, but I have!)
Many here have established thier opinions in countless postings and letters which I haven't had opportunity to read or digest.
I would only ask that, as my own ignorance is revealed to you,that you would take a patient approach to my musings.
I have very definate biases that come into play, (and come to light) when I express a thought.
It seems to me that God has revealed His will and Word to me in very incremental steps.
Some may have been granted total knowedge and understanding into the mind of God. I have not. God is still teaching me. Please don't "lock me out" for my own lack of understanding at your level.
I am willing to admit to a very definite bias in the way I approach Scripture.
My bias today is quite different from the "tradition" that I've come out of.
These differences shouldn't cause us to tear down. They should motivate us to turn to God's Word for the answers to our differences. I'm not here to "straighten out" anyone. I will respect those who don't see things "my way".
I once found the "perfect church". Only my wife and I were members. Then I had to ex-communicate her for heresy!

Lee

Been there done that!
 :snor:

:Whistle:
Peace,
Paul

Offline jabcat

• Admin
  • SINNER SAVED BY GRACE
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2009, 06:29:02 AM »
Nothing inherantly wrong with speaking ones mind, but we should look at the reason we speak.  

1C 13:1 If I should be speaking in the languages of humanmen and of the messengers, yet should have no love, I have become resounding copper or a clanging cymbal.

Amen Paul.  God help me to love more and demand my own way less.

Been wonderin' about you Paul.  Welcome back.
Neither should there be vulgar speech, foolish talk, or coarse jesting--all of which are out of character--but rather thanksgiving.  Eph. 5:4  **  Saved 1John 3.2, Eph. 2:8, John 1:12 - Being saved 2Cor. 4:16 2Peter 3:18 - Will be saved 1Peter 1:5 Romans 8:23

Offline sparrow

• Bronze
  • I watch, & am as a sparrow alone upon the rooftop.
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2009, 06:31:25 AM »
hmmm.. Well, I guess I didn't see those threads.
But just based on this post here, lsmann2... I like ya.  :icon_flower: :laughing7:

Keep sharing.
If you start to mess with ME though... watch out, I'll swoop down and peck ya in the head!

tweet tweet.

WELCOME, friend.
sparrow
"I knelt to drink,
And knew that I was on the brink
Of endless joy. And everywhere
I turned I saw a wonder there."

If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give away all I have, and if I deliver up my body to be burned, but have not love, I gain nothing.

Tim B

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2009, 07:47:50 AM »
I didn't notice you doing anything out of the ordinary Lee, but maybe I missed something. Either way, you're good in my book. I don't have any strife with ya. Peace!  :happy3:

Offline Cardinal

• < Moderator >
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2009, 04:10:09 PM »
 :cloud9: I've been absent for a few days, so I don't know what you're referring to, but you are welcome here, as we have always have room for one more.  :thumbsup: Blessings...
"I would rather train twenty men to pray, than a thousand to preach; A minister's highest mission ought to be to teach his people to pray." -H. MacGregor

martincisneros

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2009, 12:49:53 AM »
Keep sharing.
If you start to mess with ME though... watch out, I'll swoop down and peck ya in the head!

tweet tweet.
I can testify to that, lsmann2.  I'm still getting the bird droppings out of my hair from months and months ago! :icon_jokercolor:

Offline sparrow

• Bronze
  • I watch, & am as a sparrow alone upon the rooftop.
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2009, 01:10:47 AM »
Keep sharing.

tweet tweet.
I can testify to that, lsmann2.  I'm still getting the bird droppings out of my hair from months and months ago! :icon_jokercolor:

:angel5:
"I knelt to drink,
And knew that I was on the brink
Of endless joy. And everywhere
I turned I saw a wonder there."

If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give away all I have, and if I deliver up my body to be burned, but have not love, I gain nothing.