Author Topic: A sermon I just read  (Read 888 times)

jhys06567

A sermon I just read
« on: November 10, 2010, 12:01:57 PM »
Before I came to believe in UR I was a keen Calvinist for a while. Somehow I seemed to have got hold of the idea that, after death, the unbeliever would revert to his true, fiendish nature and would be abhorred  both by the saints and by God himself.
I don't know where I got this notion: it certainly doesn't seem to appear in the scriptures and I don't remember ever hearing it preached.

Imagine my surprise when I saw this little gem in a sermon from an evangelical Calvinist preacher whose church I attended for a while back in the `70s. Maybe I was daydreaming when he said it.

“Unbelief makes us silent when people ask us a reason for the hope that is in us. You think of this, that that dull stranger who is sullenly listening to you stammering to him about Christianity will one day be changed into either a creature whom you are strongly tempted to worship or to a creature who is an utter horror, whom you only see now in nightmares. There are no 'ordinary people.' You never witness to a mere mortal. We travel on a train, and we sit in lectures, and we make jokes with, and we work alongside, and we visit immortal horrors or everlasting splendours.”

The most frightening thing is that Christians who believe this sort of stuff seem unaffected by it! They even seem to delight in the idea that  “I'm alright, Jack`.
 If the general public who (in the UK at least) are very scornful about Christianity, ever realize what evangelicals really believe instead of all the PR double-talk about how “God loves you”  they will quite rightly, keep well away.
Jeff

Offline Beloved Servant

• Gold
  • David's sling
Re: A sermon I just read
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 03:39:57 PM »

It's a spirit, Jeff.
A vile, hateful spirit that captures and the blackens the hearts of all that indulge.
Sadly, parents of generation after generation blindly cast their own children right into its waiting jaws.

Offline Aleax

• Est
  • Dear God, I have a problem, it's Me.
    • Is Hell eternal? Or will God's plan fail?
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2010, 04:20:03 PM »
I wonder if Calvinism is just an invention of the Adversary.

He can't do anything else than mimic God.

So maybe "predestinated" actually means "destined to be with God ahead of [the usual] time" but satan would like us to believe it means "destined to either perpetual bliss or to perpetual torchery"...
Behold, I make a few things new.

The Plan of The Ages: God's Unfailing Love Revealed in the Cross

Offline micah7:9

• Gold
  • Mic 7:8 Thou dost not rejoice over me, O mine ene
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2010, 03:49:59 AM »
Its religon
Mic 7:8  Thou dost not rejoice over me, O mine enemy, When I have fallen, I have risen, When I sit in darkness Jehovah is a light to me.

Offline Aleax

• Est
  • Dear God, I have a problem, it's Me.
    • Is Hell eternal? Or will God's plan fail?
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2010, 12:20:07 PM »
It's religion, yes, and religion kills.  :thumbdown:
Behold, I make a few things new.

The Plan of The Ages: God's Unfailing Love Revealed in the Cross

Yab Yum

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2010, 05:15:27 PM »
I find nothing wrong with the quote since it does not use the words "eternal" or "forever".

:2c:

jhys06567

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2010, 10:24:38 AM »
I know the preacher. He does believe in everlasting punishment.
I presume that his idea is that the unbeliever gets the hellish equivalent of the "new body" that believers get at the resurrection.
He is very much into the old Puritan writers. I wonder if they held this view.
Jeff