Author Topic: 1 Timothy 6:13 - Yay!  (Read 1218 times)

Tim B

1 Timothy 6:13 - Yay!
« on: September 20, 2009, 07:11:27 AM »
13 I am charging you in the sight of God, Who is vivifying all, and of Jesus Christ, Who testifies in the ideal avowal before Pontius Pilate,

And this is some of the definitions I read about for the word used for "vivify":

zoogoneo <2225>

zwogonew zoogoneo

Pronunciation:   dzo-og-on-eh'-o
Origin:   from the same as 2226 and a derivative of 1096
Reference:   TDNT - 2:873,290
PrtSpch:   
In Greek:   zwogoneisyai 1, zwogonhsei 1, zwogonountov 1
In NET:   gives life 1, will preserve 1, would die 1
In AV:   preserve 1, live 1
Count:   2
Definition:   1) to bring forth alive
2) to give life

3) to preserve alive
from the same as 2226 and a derivative of 1096; to engender alive,
i.e. (by analogy) to rescue (passively, be saved) from death:-live,
preserve.
see GREEK for 2226
see GREEK for 1096
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 07:31:51 AM by Tim B »

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
Re: 1 Timothy 6:13 - Yay!
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 10:59:15 AM »
Tim,

Where did you get that defenition? It looks a little different from the one I have.
1 Timothy 2:3-4  ...God our Savior;  Who will have all men to be saved...
John 12:47  And if any man hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world.
Romans 4:5 But to the one who does not work, but believes in the one who declares the ungodly righteous ...

Gab

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009, 11:30:16 AM »
Unfortunately, I can hear the response now: "That just says that God is responsible for all life on Earth."

Tim B

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2009, 07:49:58 PM »
Tim,

Where did you get that defenition? It looks a little different from the one I have.

I got it on this website: http://dev.bible.org/netbible6b/strong.php?id=2225

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2009, 07:57:02 PM »
Weird I also have it from Strong. (part of a program)

2227 zw|opoie,w zoopoieo {dzo-op-oy-eh'-o}
Meaning:  1) to produce alive, begat or bear living young 2) to cause to live, make alive, give life 2a) by spiritual power to arouse and invigorate 2b) to restore to life 2c) to give increase of life: thus of physical life 2d) of the spirit, quickening as respects the spirit, endued with new and greater powers of life 3) metaph., of seeds quickened into life, i.e. germinating, springing up, growing
Origin:  from the same as 2226 and 4160; TDNT - 2:874,290; v
Usage:  AV - quicken 9, give life 2, make alive 1; 12

I also looked up the in my favorite secular dictionary: Merriam-Webster Unabridged.
Just the parts that stand out for me:

archaic    a : KINDLE  b : to cause to burn more brightly or more intensely
What we call "archaic" now was likely modern during the writing of KJV (?)
That would possibly make that defenition the primary one for our use?
More to me means "more than something" and not "more that nothing"

synonyms QUICKEN, ANIMATE, ENLIVEN, VIVIFY mean to make alive or lively. QUICKEN stresses a sudden renewal of life or activity especially in something inert  *the arrival of spring quickens the earth*.

The red words caught my attention. It states that what is quickend wasn't really dead. I know it's a secular dictionary. But it reminds me of soul sleep. Just a weird line of thinking but seeds that become plants in spring in a way are in state of sleep.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 08:12:23 PM by WhiteWings »
John 12:47  And if any man hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world.
Romans 4:5 But to the one who does not work, but believes in the one who declares the ungodly righteous ...

Tim B

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2009, 08:06:41 PM »

Yeah, some websites don't have it talking about giving life. But Strong does seem to have, in every case, the part that I bolded at the end of my OP about "saving from death".

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2009, 08:16:50 PM »
Sure it's not totally different. That's a fact.
You might wonder why I care. Why I always mention I unabridged version of Merriam-Webster.
It gives all/more defenitions than the normal/college vesion that likely focusses on current meanings of words.
But I think we must primarly use the 1611 defenitions the KJV translators used.

Tim B

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2009, 07:19:25 PM »
You might wonder why I care. Why I always mention I unabridged version of Merriam-Webster.
It gives all/more defenitions than the normal/college vesion that likely focusses on current meanings of words.

Hmm, that's an interesting point. It is a better idea to use what the KJV translators used. At least, as long as we're quoting from it.

Tim B

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2009, 07:24:56 PM »

2227 zw|opoie,w zoopoieo {dzo-op-oy-eh'-o}
Meaning:  1) to produce alive, begat or bear living young 2) to cause to live, make alive, give life 2a) by spiritual power to arouse and invigorate 2b) to restore to life 2c) to give increase of life: thus of physical life 2d) of the spirit, quickening as respects the spirit, endued with new and greater powers of life 3) metaph., of seeds quickened into life, i.e. germinating, springing up, growing
Origin:  from the same as 2226 and 4160; TDNT - 2:874,290; v
Usage:  AV - quicken 9, give life 2, make alive 1; 12

I also looked up the in my favorite secular dictionary: Merriam-Webster Unabridged.
Just the parts that stand out for me:

archaic    a : KINDLE  b : to cause to burn more brightly or more intensely
What we call "archaic" now was likely modern during the writing of KJV (?)
That would possibly make that defenition the primary one for our use?
More to me means "more than something" and not "more that nothing"

synonyms QUICKEN, ANIMATE, ENLIVEN, VIVIFY mean to make alive or lively. QUICKEN stresses a sudden renewal of life or activity especially in something inert  *the arrival of spring quickens the earth*.

The red words caught my attention. It states that what is quickend wasn't really dead. I know it's a secular dictionary. But it reminds me of soul sleep. Just a weird line of thinking but seeds that become plants in spring in a way are in state of sleep.

Nice! I like your Strong definition. Also, this seems to relate a bit to your statement about a plant springing to life.

1 Cor. 15:36
36 [... ] What you are sowing is not being vivified if it should not be dying.

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2009, 08:39:59 PM »

Hmm, that's an interesting point. It is a better idea to use what the KJV translators used. At least, as long as we're quoting from it.

I'm going to search for dictionary of about the time KJV is written. If I find something I start a new thread.