Author Topic: 1 Peter 4:6  (Read 1217 times)

Offline shawn

• Bronze
1 Peter 4:6
« on: September 19, 2012, 07:45:15 AM »
"For for this cause was the gospel preached also to them that are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit." (1 Peter 46 KJV)

I know many here believe this verse supports the gospel being preached to the dead.  But, I was reading this tonight and realized it could mean something else...dead...still alive but dead spiritually.

Thoughts?

Offline jabcat

• Admin
  • SINNER SAVED BY GRACE
Re: 1 Peter 4:6
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 08:15:20 AM »
I went out and read some "mainstream" explanations, and man, there are some varied (and wild) reasons given that a) this isn't talking about people but demons b) these were imprisoned demons from the fall and the flood reference is just "an example of God's patience", c) Jesus didn't evangelize, he proclaimed, letting those demons in that underworld know He had "conquered", d)  the worn out phrase over and over, "there is no second chance after death". 

I wanted to get those "out of the way", as we delve into Shawn's question of spiritual death rather than physical death.  Another factor for me is the last part of the verse.  I'll have to dwell on this some more, good question. 
Neither should there be vulgar speech, foolish talk, or coarse jesting--all of which are out of character--but rather thanksgiving.  Eph. 5:4  **  Saved 1John 3.2, Eph. 2:8, John 1:12 - Being saved 2Cor. 4:16 2Peter 3:18 - Will be saved 1Peter 1:5 Romans 8:23

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 08:23:33 AM »
I know heard of that view before. Not this verse but Jesus 3 days in the grave are actually His 3 year ministry.

that they might be judged according to men in the flesh
Sounds like they are not in the flesh themself. Meaning dead.

but live according to God in the spirit
What does "live"mean?
a] Continue living but in a (more) Godly way?
b] Be resurrect to everlasting life?

I edge toward b.

For me the verse means the dead and living are both judged* in the same way.

*= In Hebrew "judged" can also mean ssaved.

1 Timothy 2:3-4  ...God our Savior;  Who will have all men to be saved...
John 12:47  And if any man hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world.
Romans 4:5 But to the one who does not work, but believes in the one who declares the ungodly righteous ...

Offline CHB

• Silver
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 09:00:06 AM »
"For for this cause was the gospel preached also to them that are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit." (1 Peter 46 KJV)

I know many here believe this verse supports the gospel being preached to the dead.  But, I was reading this tonight and realized it could mean something else...dead...still alive but dead spiritually.

Thoughts?

I was thinking this same thing Shawn. It makes sense to me.

CHB

Offline Molly

• Gold
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 10:21:24 AM »
Dick and Jane Bible:

Christ suffered in his body. So get ready as a soldier does. Prepare yourselves to think in the same way Christ did. Do it because those who have suffered in their bodies are finished with sin. 2 As a result, they don't live the rest of their lives on earth controlled by evil human longings. Instead, they live to do what God wants.

3 You have spent enough time in the past doing what ungodly people choose to do. You lived a wild life. You longed for evil things. You got drunk. You went to wild parties. You worshiped statues of gods. The Lord hates that.

4 Ungodly people think that it's strange when you no longer join them in what they do. They want you to rush into the same flood of wasteful living. So they say bad things about you.

5 But they will have to explain their actions to God. He is ready to judge the living and the dead. 6 That's why the good news was preached even to people who are now dead. Human judges said they were guilty as far as their bodies were concerned. But God set their spirits free to live as he wanted them to.

--1 Peter 4

[19 in which he went and proclaimed to the spirits in prison, 1 Pet 3]

If this is talking about dead people, and I think it is, it is really a remarkable verse.

This is saying that God preached the good news to those who were dead, so that they could live in spirit as he wanted them to.  Jesus is the God of the living and the dead.

This says also that these ungodly people will have to explain their actions to God.  Well, when are they going to do that?  After they are dead.  Remarkable.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 10:44:05 AM by Molly »

Offline sheila

• Gold
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 05:34:56 PM »
it is both....spoken to the spiritually dead..as men of sin in the image of the corrupt one.....and the word also spoken to the original 'corrupt' spirits that were

alive at the time of the flood but bound in chains.  He addressed both evil spirits[demons] and men of sin[offspring of vipers=Pharisees doing the will

of their father..that have not the love of God in them...if ye have not the love of God in you[spirit of God/God is love]  you are spiritually dead..

though you walk about in a body.

our body is as good as de3ad..due to sin and tresspass...eating from the tokogae in disobediance..was a tresspass against God and His Sovereignty..

but the spirit active in this leading into the temptation of Eve had it's own agenda.  though it had the power to tempt man into disobediance/and thus

try man[satan has demanded to sift you like wheat] once it led man into rebellion against God it thus sat on God's throne..be it a footstool..in the heart of man

and sin reigned [the corrupt image]instead of man in the image of God and with the spirit of God in him reigning

God is dealing with and judging both sin in the flesh..of man...and the spirit/tool...and He has said..I will show mercy unto who I will show mercy..in His

judging. Sterness to the evil contrast tool/rebellious spirit..and mercy unto man in weakness of flesh

before either one of them had done anything wrong[satan or Adam]  the election of who would receive mercy was judged.

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2012, 05:51:19 PM »
Jesus didn't evangelize, he proclaimed, letting those demons in that underworld know He had "conquered",
Did Jesus ever do something else than proclaiming?
Jesus always said this is the truth and that's false. Did He ever discuss the truth?

The verse below uses the words preach and declare. They have the same meaning. I would even go as far as saying that in this verse preach, bind, proclaim and opening basicly have the same meaning because they decribe the effect of the Gospel.

(Isa 61:1) The Spirit of the Lord GOD is on me; because the LORD has anointed me to preach good tidings to the meek; he has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to them that are bound;

:2c:

1 Timothy 2:3-4  ...God our Savior;  Who will have all men to be saved...
John 12:47  And if any man hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world.
Romans 4:5 But to the one who does not work, but believes in the one who declares the ungodly righteous ...

Offline Molly

• Gold
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2012, 06:01:06 PM »
Quote from: Sheila
if ye have not the love of God in you[spirit of God/God is love]  you are spiritually dead..

though you walk about in a body.

our body is as good as de3ad..due to sin and tresspass...eating from the tokogae in disobediance..was a tresspass against God and His Sovereignty

I think that's something hard to face--our body is as good as dead.  That's why he says, Let the dead [nekros] bury their dead [nekros].   [Let the corpses bury their corpses.]  The body will never be alive until the resurrection of the dead [nekros].  But, the spirit can live--forever.

It is sown in corruption; it is raised in incorruption.

Offline sheila

• Gold
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2012, 07:07:30 PM »
well my sister....remember this...though satan demand to sift the wheat...only the chaff is destroyed...and when the seed should fall to the earth...

it shall bear fruit in the heavens

Offline ded2daworld

• Silver
  • What if today we were just grateful for everything
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2012, 08:22:46 PM »
If non-believers are subsequently saved, there is absolutely nothing left of the old sinful life. That flesh life is dead.
The wages they paid for sin was death of the flesh.
BUT... the free gift of God is life aeonian.
Believers are saved. Saved from what? Going through life as an orphan. Not understanding the holy way of life, not knowing their creator, Father, Abba. Understanding love, joy, peace, and a oneness with the creator that others have no idea of. Not seeing how sin destroys us and those around us.
I believed Christ preached to all those dead on or before the flood. They are part of the all that are and will be reconciled to God.
"Why do so many people think that the Bible is only inspired at certain points -  and that  THEY are inspired to pick out which points?"

Offline sheila

• Gold
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2012, 10:37:04 PM »
agreed!!   the Goodnews..unto us a son is given....and as Paul said...to those that were blinded of the Goodnews and were in unbeleif....

what is the accepting of them back in but life from the dead.