Author Topic: Why did God make drugs?  (Read 7177 times)

Paul

Why did God make drugs?
« on: June 30, 2008, 04:29:36 PM »
Why did God make substances that have such remarkable effects on the brain? Examples include marijuana, psilocybin mushrooms, and peyote. Also, you may or may not have heard of DMT (dimethyltryptamine), which is actually inside our very own brains (as well as animals' and thousands of plants). There's actually a theory that all these near death experiences we hear about are cause by DMT spilling out of our pineal gland, the part of the brain in which it's contained (see the book DMT: The Spirit Molecule by Rick Strassman, M.D.) Also, many people who've done DMT claim specifically to have seen God.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 05:34:13 PM by Paul »

Offline Reverend G

• Est
Re: Why did God make drugs?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 04:56:40 PM »
I'll have to look for the book, I can't remember the name, but it was about NDE's as well, and in it he refuted the DMT theory, having had subjects who had experienced NDE's with vivid details, technical details, things that could not be seen by the patient from where they were, and that were beyond the scope of the subjects education or understanding.

Paul Hazelwood

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 06:47:33 PM »

I'm not sure where are you going with this.

But do you believe that someone claiming to have seen God actually did.

I would say Drug abuise is the problem any chemical or substance can be found to have a good use.

Some people get high off paint thinner.   

Paul

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 06:52:03 PM »

What a horrible comparison to make. You seem to think getting high is the result of damaging the brain in some way. This is ignorance. Did you know that we have cannabinoid receptors in our brain, which is what marijuana (cannabis) stimulates.

Offline studier

• Restricted
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 06:58:43 PM »
Pharmaceutical abuse, is called, witchcraft and sorcery in Scripture.

Paul

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 07:00:22 PM »
Where? By the way, witches did used to use drugs (like belladonna.)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 07:04:18 PM by Paul »

Paul Hazelwood

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2008, 07:12:43 PM »

What a horrible comparison to make. You seem to think getting high is the result of damaging the brain in some way. This is ignorance. Did you know that we have cannabinoid receptors in our brain, which is what marijuana (cannabis) stimulates.

The comparison I made was accurate with the point I made which was concerning the abuse of a substance.  So please refrain from taking my comments out of context.

I qualified my whole post by saying I was not sure where you where going with the topic.

So I will ask you again.

Do you believe that someone claiming to have seen God actually did?

Secondly, Pot is capable of damaging the brain if abused. 

Are you asking why God made drugs in the sense that he may have gave us a pathway to see him?   Are you questioning why God made them because of all the problems associated with them?

Is getting High from your perspective paramount to experiencing God.

Please explain yourself more.

Paul

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2008, 07:38:02 PM »

Can you back that up?

And I don't believe in God, so I can't really answer your question.

Paul Hazelwood

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2008, 07:54:05 PM »

Can you back that up?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/06/04/2264668.htm
http://www.sciencealert.com.au/news/20080506-17437-5.html

This is from
http://www.marijuanaaddiction.info/effects-of-marijuana.htm
Effects of Marijuana on the Brain:

Researchers have found that THC changes the way in which sensory information gets into and is acted on by the hippocampus. This is a component of the brain's limbic system that is crucial for learning, memory, and the integration of sensory experiences with emotions and motivations. Investigations have shown that neurons in the information processing system of the hippocampus and the activity of the nerve fibers are suppressed by THC. In addition, researchers have discovered that learned behaviors, which depend on the hippocampus, also deteriorate.

Recent research findings also indicate that long-term use of marijuana produces changes in the brain similar to those seen after long-term use of other major drugs of abuse.

And yes I am aware of all the studies done that say otherwise, but we can also use a bit of common sense as well. 

I am talking about abuse primarily. The Law of Averages will say that you can find a percentage of abusers that haven't damaged their brain.

One study I saw that concluded Pot does not damage the brain said they recognized the difference in a brain of a heavy user but didn't believe it was significant.  What they did not explain is how they came to the conclusion that it was not important which  IS significant.

And I don't believe in God, so I can't really answer your question.

I understand.

Offline Molly

• Gold
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2008, 07:55:23 PM »
This is interesting:

19 Now the works of the flesh are evident, which are: adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lewdness, 20 idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies, 21 envy, murders, drunkenness, revelries, and the like; of which I tell you beforehand, just as I also told you in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

--Galatians 5

"sorcery" [witchcraft]
G5331
φαρμακεία
pharmakeia
far-mak-i'-ah
From G5332; medication ("pharmacy"), that is, (by extension) magic (literal or figurative): - sorcery, witchcraft.

G5332
φαρμακεύς
pharmakeus
far-mak-yoos'
From φάρμακον pharmakon (a drug, that is, spell giving potion); a druggist ("pharmacist") or poisoner, that is, (by extension) a magician: - sorcerer.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 07:58:57 PM by Molly »

Offline Molly

• Gold
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2008, 08:05:03 PM »
The human brain does not stop growing until about the age of 25.  Certainly any organism that is still in the growth stage will be particularly susceptible to foreign substances introduced, and, in fact, information has been coming out in recent years that pot damages the growing brain--certainly drugs like heroin, meth,etc.--but it only stands to reason.

If you want to meet satan's minions, go search out a drug trader hooking kids.  If you want to meet satan, himself, go search out the kingpin--you might be surprised.

Paul

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2008, 08:15:45 PM »
The human brain does not stop growing until about the age of 25.  Certainly any organism that is still in the growth stage will be particularly susceptible to foreign substances introduced, and, in fact, information has been coming out in recent years that pot damages the growing brain--certainly drugs like heroin, meth,etc.--but it only stands to reason.

Heroin is just an enhanced form of morphine (diacetylmorphine); it's used medically in the U.K. Some drugs do cause brain damage; meth is one them.

http://norml.org/index.cfm?Group_ID=3475#12

Offline Molly

• Gold
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2008, 08:25:26 PM »

Heroin is just an enhanced form of morphine (diacetylmorphine); it's used medically in the U.K. Some drugs do cause brain damage; meth is one them.

http://norml.org/index.cfm?Group_ID=3475#12

And, this means what?  Heroin is a highly addictive drug, that once addicted, is not easily stopped.

Morphine is a class A narcotic, last time I checked.

So the point is what? It's ok to be addicted?

Even the adult brain changes when these types of drugs are used over a period of time.

Paul

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2008, 08:30:45 PM »
Morphine is one of the most popularly used painkillers. It's what they give in emergencies when someone gets shot or gets in an accident. Heroin, which is a form of it, is used in the U.K. You said it surely caused brain damage, and I was just pointing out that you're wrong.

And no, I'm not saying it's ok to be addicted. It's addictive after continuous use; it's not inherently evil.

I was recently prescribed oxycodone (popularly known as OxyContin) for my wisdom teeth. Did I get addicted? No. Did it make me feel great? Yeah.

Offline Molly

• Gold
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2008, 08:33:17 PM »
I'm not saying it's not ok to use these drugs in a clinically controlled setting for specific purposes (pain control after an operation, for instance).

But--that's a whole lot different from buying them in the street and shooting yourself up.

The very fact of being addicted is proof that one has suffered brain damage.

The brain can no longer function normally without the drug.

Paul Hazelwood

« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2008, 08:34:16 PM »

I was recently prescribed oxycodone (popularly known as OxyContin) for my wisdom teeth.
Did I get addicted? No. Did it make me feel great? Yeah.

That probably best answers your question in your thread title.

Offline Reverend G

• Est
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2008, 02:27:06 AM »
Heroin is highly addictive....talk to a few addicts and you will find out.  Also very hard to kick, methadone isn't even a highly successful treatment method.  Suboxone is being used more successfully today.  For that matter alcohol itself is one of the few substances that can lead to lethal withdrawal symptoms.  Yes, people do die from alcohol withdrawal. 

The fact is, all of these drugs do have reasonable medicinal purposes, it is our own human nature that brings us to overindulgence, addiction, and its results.  That isn't God's fault.  Water can kill, but we would not be able to live without it.  Same of Oxygen. 

jabcat

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2008, 02:44:37 AM »
The fact is, all of these drugs do have reasonable medicinal purposes, it is our own human nature that brings us to overindulgence, addiction, and its results.  That isn't God's fault.  Water can kill, but we would not be able to live without it.  Same of Oxygen. 

Yes, in fact many, if not most synthetic medicines were/are derived or at least inspired by plants.  IMO, it's the abuse that's mainly a problem, and that often occurs when we instead need to be filling the emotional and spiritual holes in us with God.

Paul, you quoted I Timothy 4:10 earlier (For therefore we both labour and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God, who is specially the Saviour of those that believe.) and also said earlier you were "for UR"; yet above you just said you don't believe in God.  Would you care to elaborate?  Thanks, James.

Paul

« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2008, 01:08:33 AM »
I believe it's what the Bible teaches, but I don't believe in the Bible.  :icon_flower:

Offline Reverend G

• Est
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2008, 01:27:18 AM »
I don't believe in the bogey man, but I find it hard not to believe in the Bible.  There are millions (billions?) of them in print, so it is a pretty sure thing that the Bible exists.

Offline Reverend G

• Est
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2008, 01:31:41 AM »
Actually, heroin, morphine, alcohol, any drug.....can be addictive without continued usage.  It all depends on the particular person's susceptibility to addiction.

Also, there is a sac that forms at the base of the brain, that is found only in long term users of morphine based (i.e. heroin) substances and alcohol.  This is a clear sign of change to the brain, if not clearly considered brain damage.

Paul

« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2008, 08:42:17 PM »
Also, there is a sac that forms at the base of the brain, that is found only in long term users of morphine based (i.e. heroin) substances and alcohol.  This is a clear sign of change to the brain, if not clearly considered brain damage.

Don't believe everything you hear.

Offline fire walker

« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2008, 03:49:02 AM »
Even coffee can be addictive, caffiene is a drug, ask me I've drank it for over 60 years, it is the morning that I crave a cup, however though I can fore go a morning cup of coffee I do feel out of sorts until I get a cup, if something comes up that is of urgent importance then whatever that may be comes first, I set my coffee aside for anything that may need my time that I would spend having a coffee,
but then I do that with food too, if something needs done that can't wait then my eating can just wait until the more important thing at the time is done.

I enjoy a good flavored cup of coffee, do I consider it to be sorcery? no I do not, if however I used it as a form of religious ritual worship in my POV that may boarder on sorcery or be sorcery.

Peace,
Fire Walker
If in this life only we have hope in Christ we are of all men most miserable.

1Cr 14:19

Paul

« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2008, 04:07:34 AM »
So, why did God create these enchanted substances if he doesn't want us to practice sorcery with them?

Offline fire walker

« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2008, 04:54:02 AM »
So, why did God create these enchanted substances if he doesn't want us to practice sorcery with them?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Paul.

In my first reply there was my answer to this question, why did God make coffee or any other drug if it served no purpose?  I enjoy coffee for flavor and the lift it gives me in the morning to waking up from a nights sleep.
I can't be a hypoctite and preach that using drugs is a sin when I drink coffee because caffiene is a drug. If the drug is serving a helpful purpose to the individual that outwieghs the negative side effects then surely God intended them for our use.

Even food can be harmful if people eat too much all the time, (too much can very from one person to the next) but not eating at all can be just as harmful.

Genisis 1:29 and 9:3 in both these verses we can see that God made EVERY seed bearing herb to be meat for us. However just as I have pointed out about food,

Folks that say using any drugs at all for any purpose is sorcery are not understanding that sorcery can be done without using any drugs at all.

Peace,
Fire Walker
If in this life only we have hope in Christ we are of all men most miserable.

1Cr 14:19