Author Topic: Where Do You Spend Your Time When You're Not Here?  (Read 1364 times)

Offline jabcat

• Admin
  • SINNER SAVED BY GRACE
Where Do You Spend Your Time When You're Not Here?
« on: March 02, 2011, 09:48:24 AM »
Hey everyone.  Since I've stopped being as involved in institutionalized religion, I've spent quite a bit of time reading folks like J. Preston Eby, Thomas Kissinger, and here at TM.  I also spend time reading other things, working around the house, I enjoy playing golf.  I don't spend a lot of time on other forums, am a member at only one other, and that was to respond to some discussions there about TM.  I hear from time to time "so and so is a member over at _____ forum", have looked around some and seen some names I know out there in cyberspace discussions;  it's got me wondering, what do folks do when they're not here?

Care to share how you spend your time, how do you interact with others?  Is it mostly as you meet people day-to-day, sharing the love and life of Christ?  Do you have a group you regularly meet with?  Do you spend a lot of time posting on other forums?  If so, do you recommend it;  why or why not? 

Curious.  Thanks.

Offline CHB

• Silver
Re: Where Do You Spend Your Time When You're Not Here?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 04:26:26 PM »
Hi Jabcat,

Well, I spend my time taking my husband to Doctors and hospitals, he has an appointment today at the local hospital for surgery to fix a bum job that was done on his upper lip removing cancer. I have to wait on my husband hand and foot plus doing all the things he use to do also the usual jobs that a woman does of cleaning, cooking, things like that. I am a member at another forum but post there about as much as here. I guess I do more reading on this forum.

I read as much as possible, the Bible, JPreston Eby, L Ray Smith, and Ernest Martin's literature and any thing else that is interesting.

CHB

Offline onlytruth

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 06:38:20 PM »
Hi Jab...I spend my time at work(this is where I read up at TM).I own 2 businesses ,keeps me busy,website Kingdom4you.com.I have 5 kids keeps my wife and I real busy .Soccer with 2 boys and football with another.2 girls do dance weekly so there is a lot of driving around.I get home and enjoy relaxing in the hottub,lately its been cold and that makes it more enjoyable.
This is the only forum I go to,I enjoy reading everyones comments,I love seeing and hearing the different ways we live and do things.I travel with my wife alot and the kids when they are out of school.
That sort of sums up my typical year!
blessings :icon_king:

Offline lomarah

• Silver
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 08:19:02 PM »
Hey James! I've wondered too what everyone else does in regards to fellowship. I personally don't know a single soul outside of cyber space who is a Christian UR believer. I mean, my Dad sort of is, but not in the strict sense. He's quite open to any type of religion, sort of a New Ager I guess. Anyhow, I do not attend any type of church anymore. I used to be very involved in church and there are many aspects that I miss but I just can't go. It would be under false pretenses. But I sure do miss the fellowship.

My typical day consists of taking care of my two children, daughter almost 3 years, and son 2 months. It keeps me quite busy but when I get some spare time I come on here and read all the posts I can. It makes me feel somewhat connected to the outside world as I don't get out a whole lot right now due to the cold weather (and not knowing any other stay at home Moms. Sigh.) I also like to read J Preston Eby and others, but i've recently come to realize that hearing from God is way better than reading it from someone else.  :happy3: So i've been spending a bit more time listening for Him. (I would love to be able to hear Him audibly like some others can but so far it's more of an internal knowing...) I am not involved on any other forums, apart from one for mothers with young children. I'm looking forward to September when I will be going back to school to become a Continuing Care Assistant. (I already have a bachelor's degree in psychology but what can you do with that, right?  :laughing7:)

Anyhow, interesting to see what y'all are up to! 
From Him and through Him and to Him are all things.

Offline Cardinal

• < Moderator >
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 11:15:35 PM »
 :cloud9: @Lomarah.....what's a Continuing Care Assistant? Glad you're here when you can be!  :HeartThrob:

Work, and when not at work, my daughter and one year old baby live with me at present, so that keeps me hopping. He just learned to walk this last week! When I have free time, reading, studying the Word, gardening when weather appropriate, working around the house. I only go to church where and when He leads, which isn't often.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 11:23:32 PM by Cardinal »
"I would rather train twenty men to pray, than a thousand to preach; A minister's highest mission ought to be to teach his people to pray." -H. MacGregor

Offline lomarah

• Silver
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 07:14:26 PM »
:cloud9: @Lomarah.....what's a Continuing Care Assistant? Glad you're here when you can be!  :HeartThrob:

Work, and when not at work, my daughter and one year old baby live with me at present, so that keeps me hopping. He just learned to walk this last week! When I have free time, reading, studying the Word, gardening when weather appropriate, working around the house. I only go to church where and when He leads, which isn't often.

It's basically a person who works in a nursing home or takes care of the elderly, but they can do other things as well. It's basically a step down from an LPN (practical nurse). Here in NS you need a CCA diploma in order to work in the facilities that pay well. It's a crying shame because I have years of experience in the field but without the diploma they won't even look at my resume. Oh well, I kind of miss being in school so it's not all bad I guess. Just praying that we'll be able to swing it with both of us in school and having to pay for childcare for 2 kiddos.  :mshock:

It's so great to have parents like you who will help out your adult children. Our parents have been wonderful and it's been such a blessing. I was able to stay at home with our firstborn because my husband's parents let us stay there. I had just graduated from university when she was born (I walked across the stage 9 months preggo!) so I didn't have much maternity pay. Thank God for parents like you!  :HeartThrob:
From Him and through Him and to Him are all things.

Offline shawn

• Bronze
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2011, 07:58:31 PM »
We do go to church, but it happens to be a pretty good drive for us.  We don't interact much with church members outside of church.  It's not because we don't want to, just haven't made much of an effort in that area.  I do wish we had some local friends who enjoy relationship with Christ.

This is really the only community I am a part of on a regular basis...from a faith stand point.  I attend a bowling and a Steelers website regularly as well.

Offline Nathan

• Gold
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2011, 01:50:36 AM »
This was a great idea Jabcat!!  It's so interesting to hear about the goings on with people outside of a theological conversation.  I love those to, but it's so cool to see the human side of each other as well.

For me, almost all of my time on this forum is on my free time at work.  I have twin boys at home who are 6 now, a daughter at home who is 18 and another daughter not at home but still visits us quite a bit who is 20.  I've been blessed to have a wonderful wife that has the ability to see the greatness of God's generosity in redeeming the entire world back to the Father through Christ.  And between my wife and daughters . . .and even some with the twins on the computer, there isn't much open space there left for me so that's why pretty much all my stuff goes out during the day from work.

I also have a bit of an advantage in the church thing as I "am" a pastor of one so those that attend it also see the greatness of God's generosity.  The anxiety comes when new people visit us, looking for a church.  Most aren't looking for the extremes we've ventured into.  Most aren't really looking for change at all . . .but it's those that do sit up and take notice of our message that become such a blessing to watch.  We had a new family just this past Sunday and my biggest concern is not to dump too much on them too soon . .. unfortunately, once the momentum gets going, I can't seem to slow it down.  But I don't know how I'd survive if I didn't have a pulpit to release it from.

I have had other forums that I surfed that led me to here, but once I arrived here, I still have a short cut here and there but I've never really gone back to any of them.  This has become sorta my home.  And I don't know whether any of you have noticed or not, but I've found there are seasons where I'm here quite a bit, then there are seasons where I pull back and play Texas holdem' instead.

But this has always been my home when it comes to building relationships with others.  I have some awesome friends that I've been honored with on this forum.  Some of them are more active than others but I'm the same way so I can't complain.  I'm also an avid hunter . ..bow hunting deer specifically . .. it's in my blood . . .I blame my Dad.  I camp and catfish in the summer months . . .love to camp with my kids, both the girls and the boys love to camp with us. 

That's pretty much it.

Offline jabcat

• Admin
  • SINNER SAVED BY GRACE
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2011, 12:12:10 AM »
bump

PaoloNuevo

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2011, 08:50:05 AM »
Care to share how you spend your time, how do you interact with others?  Is it mostly as you meet people day-to-day, sharing the love and life of Christ?  Do you have a group you regularly meet with?  Do you spend a lot of time posting on other forums?  If so, do you recommend it;  why or why not? 

I used to work as an on the job trainee at a contact center here, and that is where I spent most of my recent time... I have friends from there and whenever I can insert Jesus into a conversation (not necessarily preaching UR right then and there), I do... and just befriend them without pretensions.

But mostly I spend time online, Facebook - I've joined a UR group and a Jesus Daily devotional...

Offline micah7:9

• Gold
  • Mic 7:8 Thou dost not rejoice over me, O mine ene
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2011, 01:42:56 AM »
I foolishly retired to early, by that I mean I had no thought that America would be in the state that it is, economy wise. My income is an income that is sufficient, but meager.
I have turned into somewhat of a recluse with my cat, guitar, fiddle, and mandolin. I study the Word of God, and go to a small, about 20 souls Free Will Baptist church once in awhile. I go there for the fellowship, I do not discuss the Bible unless it happens. From the first time I attended I received a warm spirit and I find peace when I go, I enjoy the fellowship and have offered my voice and guitar as my offering. I am blessed when I attend.
Other than that I like to fly fish and watch earlier B and W movies and westerns that I bought. But mostly I am here or another site, or reading the works of others in the Kingdom, and yes the Book.
I am very thankful. I go to the VA for my prostate cancer and know very little of how it is doing good or not good and I do not really care. I am taking pills for depression, but I don't know why I am depressed, that troubles me, I rest in the Word of The Lord, He knows my frame and I am but dust, yet I live, in Christ.

Gal 2:20 With Christ have I been crucified, yet I am living; no longer I, but living in me is Christ. Now that which I am now living in flesh, I am living in faith that is of the Son of God, Who loves me, and gives Himself up for me."

Peace and Love Through Jesus :grin: To Him be ALL the Praise and Glory.
Psa 150:1  Praise ye Jehovah. Praise God in his sanctuary: Praise him in the firmament of his power.
Psa 150:2  Praise him for his mighty acts: Praise him according to his excellent greatness.
Psa 150:3  Praise him with trumpet sound: Praise him with psaltery and harp.
Psa 150:4  Praise him with timbrel and dance: Praise him with stringed instruments and pipe.
Psa 150:5  Praise him with loud cymbals: Praise him with high sounding cymbals.
Psa 150:6  Let everything that hath breath praise Jehovah. Praise ye Jehovah.  :bigGrin: :violin: :angelharp: :happyclap: :dsunny:
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 01:49:50 AM by micah7:9 »
Mic 7:8  Thou dost not rejoice over me, O mine enemy, When I have fallen, I have risen, When I sit in darkness Jehovah is a light to me.

Offline jabcat

• Admin
  • SINNER SAVED BY GRACE
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2011, 10:16:50 AM »
Very good.  Interesting about the little congregation you attend.  Cool you play and sing there.  Thanks for sharing.  :)