Author Topic: Is God angry with His creation  (Read 1741 times)

Offline ded2daworld

• Silver
  • What if today we were just grateful for everything
Re: Is God angry with His creation
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2012, 02:29:07 PM »
The bible says that Jesus never spoke to the common people without using a parable and would explain the parables to his disciples when alone with them. This particular parable is rarely taken literally especially since Lazarus was never literally in Abraham's bosom.
"Why do so many people think that the Bible is only inspired at certain points -  and that  THEY are inspired to pick out which points?"

Offline Lazarus Short

• Bronze
  • The truth points to itself. -Kosh Naranek
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2012, 02:38:16 PM »
One of my favorite non-biblical short quotes is, "The Learning is in the Doing."

One very erudite Christian, whose threads I enjoy on another www forum, quotes Confucius:

I see and I forget.  I do and I remember.  I teach and I understand.
Socrates taught Plato.  Plato taught Aristotle.  Aristotle tutored the son of Philip of Macedon.  This boy grew up to become Alexander the Great, largely by slaughtering a lot of people.  That's philosophy.

Jesus spoke the Truth.  He blessed the poor.  He healed the sick.  He even raised the dead.  He died on a cross for us, lived again, and came back long enough to tell us to love one another.  That's religion.

Offline ded2daworld

• Silver
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2012, 02:53:23 PM »
Can you imagine learnig any sport just by reading or hearing or even watching it?
Pure and simple, you have to do it to learn it.

For example, in high schol, I was urged to go out for the wrestling team because of my size and strength.
I had never wrestled. I went to the Library and read several "How To's" on wrestling before tryouts a month later.
I stepped onto the mat confident - and left around 1 minute later a loser and having the nickname "fish" because I was flopping around on my back so much. I stunk because I had never actually done it. After I kept at it at practice, I could finally do it but I still stunk at it. :laughing7:
"Why do so many people think that the Bible is only inspired at certain points -  and that  THEY are inspired to pick out which points?"

Offline Lazarus Short

• Bronze
  • The truth points to itself. -Kosh Naranek
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2012, 03:15:56 PM »
Ded, I know where you're coming from!  Way back, decades ago, in third grade, I was invited to play baseball at recess.  There I was in the outfield, not knowing what I was expected to do, woolgathering, when suddenly there was a lot of shouting, and a baseball came rolling toward me.  I didn't know what to do with it, and I was never, NEVER invited to play again.

I got the idea that others just KNEW what to do, and how to do it, but that I lacked that esoteric tap into knowledge and technique.  It held me back in life for a long time.  Now I know that it saved me from a lot of harmful stuff - you know, sinning.
Socrates taught Plato.  Plato taught Aristotle.  Aristotle tutored the son of Philip of Macedon.  This boy grew up to become Alexander the Great, largely by slaughtering a lot of people.  That's philosophy.

Jesus spoke the Truth.  He blessed the poor.  He healed the sick.  He even raised the dead.  He died on a cross for us, lived again, and came back long enough to tell us to love one another.  That's religion.

Offline anti_nietzsche

• Est
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2012, 04:42:24 PM »
Ded, but it's still possible that Lazarus would die and ascend to Heaven and sit there with Abraham.

I mean, sorry, I know this is not literal and I don't want to play devil's advocate, lol, but what I'm saying is that scripture contains more than the plain meaning and actually there is no verse that claims that all scripture must be followed.

The medieval theologians held that there is such a thing as the Law of Nature, which is really the moral law that we must follow, and that the commandments in the bible are only imperfect reflections of that law because this Law of Nature is too big and too vast and too strong to be described by words. It's about love and conscience really, and faith and wisdom and all that, and the fulfillment of the law is not in us but in Christ and that's where he got his human perfection from.

And to act and live out this natural law sometimes requires that written laws be disobeyed, such as when christians did undercover work against slavery in the US south. Scripture did not permit this in the way Paul acted and preached.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 08:18:49 AM by reFORMer »

Offline ded2daworld

• Silver
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2012, 05:41:24 PM »
"there is no verse that claims that all scripture must be followed."
How about  "scripture cannot be broken" and "my word shall never pass away"??
All I'm saying is that if you're going to base your life on something, is it going to be a foundation of:
1. The word of God?
2. The word of God EXCEPT where it seems unreasonable?
3. The word of God EXCEPT when it doesn't seem to make sense?
4. The local, state, and federal laws Except speeding because that is unreasonable and doesn't make sense?
5. The law of Jesus and Paul - the law of Love
"You shall love bthe Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength and your neighbor as yourself.
#5 and #1 are the same with the added bonus that it is reasonable and makes sense

I couln't care less what the medieval theologians had to say about anything including the "Law of Nature??"
Anti - we aren't under any law except the law of Love #5 above.
because of this it only matters that the slaves were helped go free.
Any written law that prohibits you from loving God or your neighbor is to be disobeyed. Just as Rahab
sheltered the 2 spies and then lied about it later. Rahab became an ancestor of King David.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 08:18:31 AM by reFORMer »