Author Topic: What does it mean to Have the MIND of CHRIST?  (Read 941 times)

Offline Taffy

• Gold
What does it mean to Have the MIND of CHRIST?
« on: August 02, 2008, 09:37:21 PM »
Ok Guys ..Shoot :icon_flower: :icon_flower:

Blessings
T
Isa 29:18 And in that day shall the deaf hear the words of the book, and the eyes of the blind shall see out of obscurity, and out of darkness.

Online WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
Re: What does it mean to Have the MIND of CHRIST?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2008, 10:27:29 PM »
A quiz? :laughing7:

Thinking like Jesus did. Forgiving. Humble. Helpful. Praying  :icon_flower:
1 Timothy 2:3-4  ...God our Savior;  Who will have all men to be saved...
John 12:47  And if any man hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world.
Romans 4:5 But to the one who does not work, but believes in the one who declares the ungodly righteous ...

Offline Molly

• Gold
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2008, 10:41:55 PM »
13Therefore, prepare your minds for action; be self-controlled; set your hope fully on the grace to be given you when Jesus Christ is revealed. 14As obedient children, do not conform to the evil desires you had when you lived in ignorance. 15But just as he who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do; 16for it is written: "Be holy, because I am holy."

17Since you call on a Father who judges each man's work impartially, live your lives as strangers here in reverent fear. 18For you know that it was not with perishable things such as silver or gold that you were redeemed from the empty way of life handed down to you from your forefathers, 19but with the precious blood of Christ, a lamb without blemish or defect. 20He was chosen before the creation of the world, but was revealed in these last times for your sake. 21Through him you believe in God, who raised him from the dead and glorified him, and so your faith and hope are in God.

22Now that you have purified yourselves by obeying the truth so that you have sincere love for your brothers, love one another deeply, from the heart.[pure heart] 23For you have been born again, not of perishable seed, but of imperishable, through the living and enduring word of God. 24For,
   "All men are like grass,
      and all their glory is like the flowers of the field;
   the grass withers and the flowers fall,
    25but the word of the Lord stands forever." And this is the word that was preached to you.

--1Peter 1

Offline Molly

• Gold
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2008, 10:43:38 PM »
21Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

22But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,

23Meekness, temperance:
against such there is no law.

--Gal 5

Offline studier

• Restricted
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2008, 12:24:27 AM »
Isaiah 53:11
After the suffering of his soul, he will see the light of life and be satisfied ; by his knowledge my righteous servant will justify many, and he will bear their iniquities.

Colossians 2:2-4
My purpose is that they may be encouraged in heart and united in love, so that they may have the full riches of complete understanding, in order that they may know the mystery of God, namely, Christ, in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge. I tell you this so that no one may deceive you by fine-sounding arguments.

2 Peter 1:4-8
Through these he has given us his very great and precious promises, so that through them you may participate in the divine nature and escape the corruption in the world caused by evil desires.

For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Offline Molly

• Gold
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2008, 12:38:38 AM »
43Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy.

44But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;

45That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.

--Mat 5

Offline Pierac

• Bronze
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2008, 03:50:27 AM »
I pulled this from one of my free will post on another forum in regards to human thoughts. (i.e. where do our random thoughts come from?)   I got to thinking about Paul in relation to the 'Mind' and  'Spirit'  I guess the real issue is how are our thoughts related to our mind? Let's look at how Paul correlates the spirit and mind.

Spirit (ruah) - is often used of a man's mind-set, disposition, or temper. The word is used of one's mind or thinking.

Paul uses spirit and mind interchangeably as he quotes Isaiah 40:13 in the New Testament. Let's take a look at these verses.

Isaiah 40:13: "Who has directed the spirit of the LORD, or has instructed Him as His counselor?"

Romans 11:34: "Who has known the mind of the Lord, or who has been His counselor?"

1 Corinthians 2:16: "For who has known the mind of the Lord, so as to counsel Him?"

It is clear that for Paul in Isaiah 40:13, the spirit of the LORD is the mind of the LORD. These definitions will help to understand some verses of the Bible. Could it suggest if you are one in spirit with Jesus it means that you are one in mind with Jesus? That you have the same mind-set, the same disposition, that you think the same as he does. This after all is what a Christian strives for, to try to reach the example of faith that Jesus showed us. To be able to discern the will of God as Jesus did so perfectly. We are told to have the same mind, the same attitude as Christ.

Examples:
1 Corinthians 2:16: "But we have the mind of Christ."

Philippians 2:2: "Complete my joy by being of the same mind, with the same love, united in heart, thinking one thing."

1 Peter 4:1: "Therefore, since Christ suffered in the flesh, arm yourself with the same attitude, for whoever suffers in the flesh has broken with sin, so as not to spend what remains of one's life on human desires, but on the will of God."

Philippians 2:5: "Have among yourselves the same attitude that is also yours in Christ Jesus."

With these definitions we can better understand a verse like
1 Corinthians 7:17:
"But he who unites himself with the Lord is one with him in spirit."

In other words, whoever unites himself with the Lord is one with him in mind, mind-set, attitude, thinking, or in purpose, which are all synonymous. Here are some more possible examples. Try substituting one of the given definitions where it says "spirit" and you will get a clearer meaning of what I'm getting at.

Numbers 5:14: "Or if a man is overcome by a spirit of jealousy."

Galatians 6:1: "Even if a person is caught in some transgression, you who are spiritual should correct that one with the spirit of gentleness."

1 Corinthians 2:12: "We have not received the spirit of the world but the Spirit that is from God."

Deuteronomy 34:9: "Now Joshua, son of Nun, was filled with the spirit of wisdom."

Genesis 41:8: "Next morning his spirit was agitated."

"No one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again" ...no one can enter the kingdom of God unless he is born of water and spirit"
Jesus is telling Nicodemus that unless you make a commitment to God (which is demonstrated by baptism) and be born again of the mind, you will not enter the kingdom of God. Our minds have to be born again, they have to think differently than they did when they followed the flesh. Our minds have to be renewed in order to be able to discern and follow the will of God.

Romans 12:2: "Do not conform yourself to this age but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that you may discern what is the will of God."

Ephesians 4:23: "And be renewed in the spirit (purpose) of your minds."

2 Corinthians 4:16: "Although our outer self is wasting away, our inner self (spirit i.e. mind) is being renewed day by day."

Colossians 3:9-10: "Stop lying to one another, since you have taken off the old self with its practices and have put on the new self (new mind),which is being renewed, for knowledge in the image of its creator."

Romans 7:6: "Dead to what held us captive, so that we may serve in the newness of the spirit (mind) and not under the obsolete law.

You will notice that in many of the verses that we are reading, the adjectives that are attributed to renewal are adjectives that are associated with our minds, such as knowledge, discern, etc.

Paul

martincisneros

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2008, 05:12:46 AM »
Ok Guys ..Shoot :icon_flower: :icon_flower:

Blessings
T

There are all kinds of levels to this.  To have the mind of the Anointed One would have to mean that the same Anointing on His mind would have to be available to our mind when we do those things that He said to walk in it.  Most of the Gospel of John is about walking in the mind of Christ: if you continue in My Words, then you'll be My disciples indeed, and you shall know the truth and the truth shall make you free.  Jesus put a premium on Mark chapter 4 as being the interpretation to all of His other parables.  But too many Christians have a religious mind rather than the mind of Christ.  You know you're only dealing in religion and not in the mind of Christ when all you ever focus on is the negative side of sowing and reaping.  If the negative side is more powerful, more pronounced, and more productive in your thinking, then you've got a Baptist mind or the mind of some other denomination or nondenomination, but it's not the mind of Christ.  Jesus was fully conscious of living in the blessing that God placed on Abraham, and Galatians 3 says that that belongs to the Gentiles through faith in Christ Jesus.

I'll try to remember to add some things to clarify the above thoughts when I'm feeling better.  Head's been pounding all day.

Offline reFORMer

• < Moderator >
  • Psalm 133
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2008, 05:38:26 AM »
Wisdom being the principle thing, "Word of wisdom, word of knowledge . . ." are first in the list of spiritual gifts in 1 Cor 12 as a foretaste of the omniscience of God.  Habitually walking around after spirit that is quickening to life according to Christ and not disposed to the flesh while drawing on and being activated by the presence of the Holy Spirit as we would draw on our subconscious, "Now we have the mind of Christ . . ."  Born of Adam into the world we observe the world through man's senses.  Born of the Spirit into God we perceive all things by Him.

Spiritual life comes with spiritual, or extended senses.  God occupying our occipital lobes with us, we may for instance see by God into other dimensions, seeing angels and demons, or have glimpses of what God sees rather than being confined to the two Adamic eyes in the front of our head.  Whether spiritual seeing, various kinds of visions or the eye of our understanding enlightened, these are examples of the life of God, the Divine nature we may partake of in our soul realm.

Spirit in both Greek and Hebrew relates to the wind and air.  Concordant Literal Version uses BLOW-effect as the keyword for Greek pneuma, "spirit."  Because minute particles of something carried on the wind is what makes known by smell what that something is, the sense of smell is extended as "discerning of spirits."  Taste is very related.

I like how "gifts of healings" are instalments promising the incorruptible deathless body.  The omnipresence of God clarifies how this embodiment realm (the one body) encompasses the entire physical universe.  You can unfold for yourself the other senses. 

Foretastes of omniscience, omnipotence and omnipresence may be correlated to the list of what we call gifts of the spirit in 1 Cor 12.  The soulical aspect of this, how it pertains to our consciousness, is part of what is called "the mind of Christ."  The motivational aspect underlying this is seen in Romans 12:6-8, like:  why would you look (with spiritual senses?)  Because of the prophetic? or perhaps to explain something so teaching is the motive.  The one with a heart to be "merciful" (KJV) is a "sharer," (CLV) empathic with another's suffering, so diligently searches to "see" how to minister healing.  To "see" how to put things under the control of the Holy Spirit would drive what CLV calls, "the presider" to exercise a power ("miracle," KJV); etc.

When we are immortal we will be able to partake of God as He is; as it is written, "Then, face to face."  "We shall be like Him, for we shall see Him as He is."

---James M. Rohde
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 09:13:58 AM by reFORMer »
I went to church; but, the Church wasn't on the program!  JESUS WANTS HIS BODY BACK!!  MEET WITHOUT HUMAN HEADSHIP!!!

Offline sparrow

• Bronze
  • I watch, & am as a sparrow alone upon the rooftop.
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2008, 08:27:18 AM »
To love continually.

(I think that about covers it.)
"I knelt to drink,
And knew that I was on the brink
Of endless joy. And everywhere
I turned I saw a wonder there."

If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give away all I have, and if I deliver up my body to be burned, but have not love, I gain nothing.

Offline Taffy

• Gold
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2008, 02:25:26 PM »
Thanks Guys.

Posted the same  topic Elsewhere....as the Mind of Christ was very much the Theme on another Thread.
heres the Link .

http://sumofhisword.proboards98.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=talk&thread=653&page=1

Hi Pierac , my thoughts run parallel to yours Bud, oppossed to repeating The MIND scripts , Ive approached it from a different angle but says the same. :icon_flower:

Thank You all Guys :icon_flower: :icon_flower: :icon_flower: :icon_flower: :icon_flower: :icon_flower: :icon_flower:
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 02:50:23 PM by Taffy »
Isa 29:18 And in that day shall the deaf hear the words of the book, and the eyes of the blind shall see out of obscurity, and out of darkness.