Author Topic: Top 10 Reasons To Attend A Smaller Church  (Read 1093 times)

Offline Brian

Top 10 Reasons To Attend A Smaller Church
« on: January 14, 2009, 07:55:52 PM »
10) You don't need ear-plugs to enjoy the music.

9) Everyone will know your name, without calling you "brother" or "sister."

8) The pastor will come to visit you in the hospital.

7) You will build long-time relationships with people.

6) You will grow spiritually from deeper Biblical teachings.

5) No parking problems.

4) The pastor has a listed number and will pray or counsel with you at any time.

3) Your children will receive more personal attention.

2) The church will celebrate your birthday and anniversary.

1) You will become a stronger more mature Christian.

http://www.graceinlasvegas.com/

I personally don't attend Rob Wright's church (because I'm already established in a similar fellowship, and it's too far away)

But based on hearing Rob on the radio a few times, it sounds like a fellowship I'd be happy with.
I think a lot folks here who are turned off to the "big brick building with the steeple" "organized (especially denominational) Christianity" "the church machine". Can find a healthy nurturing environment at a small fellowship like this one.
Like the fellowship I attend, it's a shop unit in a strip mall.
http://www.mynassausun.com/files/u350/NAS_KT02Journey062707.jpg
(Not my fellowship, just a pictorial example)

Now one has to be careful of course in selecting a small independent fellowship, which might be run by the next Jim Jones or David Koresh. I'd say to insist on one that has a website with a statement of faith and a bio of the pastor. If the guy happens to be on local radio, like Rob, so much the better to get a feel.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 07:58:49 PM by Brian »
For it is for this we labor and strive, because we have fixed our hope on the living God, who is the Savior of all men, especially of believers. 1 Timothy 4:10

Offline Doc

• Jesus Christ is the Savior of ALL men.
Re: Top 10 Reasons To Attend A Smaller Church
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 09:46:57 PM »
I have all of those at our church except for number 6 sometimes, as it's an ET/ES church. Our pastor's right on most of the time, until he starts getting into eschatological matters. Then everything he says is too colored by the paradigm.
God does not instruct us to pray to change His mind. He wants us to pray so that we'll know His mind.

"Prayer doesn't change God, it changes me." --C.S. Lewis

God never had or needed a Plan B. He's still on Plan A.

Res Veritas Loquitur

Offline Brian

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 12:24:12 AM »
I have all of those at our church except for number 6 sometimes, as it's an ET/ES church. Our pastor's right on most of the time, until he starts getting into eschatological matters. Then everything he says is too colored by the paradigm.

I despise eschatology. It's just one big headache of endless revolving speculation to me.
There's 85798759839847590 eschatologists over the last 2000 years, who insisted that Jesus would come for them within their lifetime, and all of them were all correct. Just not correct as to how they predicted it.
There's a rapture bus, heart attack, gun shot, slip and fall, aneurysm, malignant tumor, etc, etc, etc... with your name on it.
For it is for this we labor and strive, because we have fixed our hope on the living God, who is the Savior of all men, especially of believers. 1 Timothy 4:10

Offline rosered

• Gold
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 12:29:01 AM »

I despise eschatology. It's just one big headache of endless revolving speculation to me.
There's 85798759839847590 eschatologists over the last 2000 years, who insisted that Jesus would come for them within their lifetime, and all of them were all correct. Just not correct as to how they predicted it.
There's a rapture bus, heart attack, gun shot, slip and fall, aneurysm, malignant tumor, etc, etc, etc... with your name on it.

very honest and refreshing Brian  :thumbsup:
  I feel  the same way  :HeartThrob:
Jesus is the reward  !!

Offline jabcat

• Admin
  • SINNER SAVED BY GRACE
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 02:48:12 AM »
IMO, we are the church...meaning every minute of every day we are to function as the salt and light, and walk in continual fellowship with Him (I mostly don't measure up, I'm just sayin'  :laughing7:). 

I think it's good to gather together in His name...I just think 98+% of the time, the ideas, habits, and traditions of churchianity creep back in and get the focus back on 'church', including ever-so-subtly infusing the doctrines of men into the process...thereby taking the focus away from us functioning as the ecclesia...the called out ones. 

If anyone finds that group of believers that meet in person, and eschew the traditions of men that make the Word of God of no effect, THAT'S GREAT!  And an unusual privilege and blessing.  And I would agree Brian, there's probably a much greater chance of that occurring in a smaller body of believers.

Offline rosered

• Gold
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2009, 01:03:08 PM »

Hi Jabcat ,
  Yes,  the" called out"  are of the Lords Body /True Church
  I believe you can serve God where ever your at
  I am certain the Lord's Spirit can lead us to a church 
 or lead us out of one too  :bigGrin:
 and  certianly is with us all the way through it all :HeartThrob:
  God knows just what we need and whean we need and cry out  to Him ,  it is a matter of heart

:HeartThrob:
Jesus is the reward  !!

Offline Doc

• Jesus Christ is the Savior of ALL men.
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2009, 09:21:04 PM »
IMO, we are the church...meaning every minute of every day we are to function as the salt and light, and walk in continual fellowship with Him (I mostly don't measure up, I'm just sayin'  :laughing7:). 

I think it's good to gather together in His name...I just think 98+% of the time, the ideas, habits, and traditions of churchianity creep back in and get the focus back on 'church', including ever-so-subtly infusing the doctrines of men into the process...thereby taking the focus away from us functioning as the ecclesia...the called out ones. 

If anyone finds that group of believers that meet in person, and eschew the traditions of men that make the Word of God of no effect, THAT'S GREAT!  And an unusual privilege and blessing.  And I would agree Brian, there's probably a much greater chance of that occurring in a smaller body of believers.

You're absolutely right, Jab. The ironic thing is that our pastor has been preaching for years on how much the world has subtly invaded the church. It's amazing to see someone like this who "sees, yet does not see".
God does not instruct us to pray to change His mind. He wants us to pray so that we'll know His mind.

"Prayer doesn't change God, it changes me." --C.S. Lewis

God never had or needed a Plan B. He's still on Plan A.

Res Veritas Loquitur

Offline Brian

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2009, 06:33:59 AM »

What's ironic, is for some reason I had a distain or mistrust regarding strip mall shop churches. And when I drove up to mine, to check it out ahead of time, I was disappointed at what I saw. "I was afraid of that" I said to myself. But since the pastor had a local radio call in show, that I liked so much, I had to give it a try. I immediately knew I was in good hands. It's cool to being able to listen to him on the radio as well and even call in with a question. And yes, I just might someday ask something like, what's up with this universalism thingamajig?
http://www.messiahchristianchurch.org/
Just please don't anybody rat me out to him as a potential UR heretic. I'll be tarred and feathered and they'll drive me out with flaming torches. Other than that, it's a safe friendly environment.
Check out his "Eternal Security of the Believer" archived broadcast. That's what lead me to him and them.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 11:39:45 PM by Brian »

martincisneros

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2009, 06:58:37 AM »
Don't rat you out?  (**evil laughter in the background**)

My church might be 300 people, though about half of those have been coming for the longest time.  Likely the economy driving everybody bonkers and different types of jobs demanding either most or just odd numbers of Sundays these days.  And the music's still a bit much for my sense of balance.  On your estimation on the number of eschatologists, Brian, you missed a few.  If I ever became a pastor, the last thing I'd have is a listed number even if it was only a dozen people.  Doesn't take many folks to try to keep you on the phone 24/7.  Telephones are a nusiance and are causing increasing numbers of deaths.  Everybody does know my name already at the Church that I attend, and although I've hinted at being a deviant from mainstream beliefs through God's grace and my own studies, I've not been found out yet as to how far I differ about some stuff unless they've googled me.

I have mixed feelings about having joined because if I'm not missing services from being busy with this site or one of mine, I'm just as likely to wander off on Sunday morning to find a picnic table to read Philemon for an hour and a half to two, or to go through the healing Scriptures, or the prosperity Scriptures, or to read through Revelation a couple of times or to just zone out meditating on all that God's been talking to me about.  I'm a couple of hours away from my church for reasons I don't want to get into, so that's one of the reasons I'll side-track so easily and wander further into the holy of holies on my own than I ever could at that Church.  Just wander into the holy of holies on my own and just spend time at the Mercy Seat looking at the Blood of Jesus, Remembering all that God Swore in that Blood that can never fail in my life.