Author Topic: The New Testament was written in Hebrew (not Greek)  (Read 19969 times)

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
Re: The New Testament was written in Hebrew (not Greek)
« Reply #200 on: August 14, 2013, 02:54:29 PM »
Idiom #51 - The last trump

Idiom: Last trump isn't the last trump of Revelation but the Feast of Trumpets which is the last warning for Judgment/Atonement Day.
Rev 4:1 The voice of Jesus sounds like a trumpet.... (hint)
1 Timothy 2:3-4  ...God our Savior;  Who will have all men to be saved...
John 12:47  And if any man hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world.
Romans 4:5 But to the one who does not work, but believes in the one who declares the ungodly righteous ...

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #201 on: August 14, 2013, 02:57:43 PM »
Idioms #52 - Retraining the wind

The angels in Rev 7:1 are restraining the wind. English and Greek give the impression it's just regular wind, but actually it's a Hebrew idiom meaning God holding back His blessing on the harvests as shown in Deut 28 and 29. The Holy Spirit is also called wind. So this verse tells us God is retracting His blessings. The land isn't harmed by actively destroying is with storm/wind but by letting evil run its cause by removing the blessing. So God punishes by doing nothing. The Holy Spirit that always worked for the benefit of man is restrained from benefitting man. One less opponent for satan. There is just one Holy Spirit but the verse is about four winds. The corners (seem to) refer to the 'tanaf'; the corners of a prayer shawl.  Those corners had special tassels on them that were symbolic of God/God's authority. God and the Holy Spirit are very closely linked so that's the reason one Holy Spirit is called four winds. To take this one step further; when the angles are holding the four tassels they are holding the prayer shawl as a covering over the earth. A covering refers to covenant. The shawl is also called wings.

Mal 4:2 But to you that fear my name shall the Sun of righteousness arise with healing in his wings; and you shall go forth, and grow up as calves of the stall.
Matt 23:37 O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, you that kill the prophets, and stone them which are sent to you, how often would I have gathered your children together, even as a hen gathers her chickens under her wings, and you would not!

Restraining the winds doesn't mean God also stops blessing the righteous people. It's a punishment for sinners. God no longer covers their sins with grace.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 10:00:19 AM by WhiteWings »
John 12:47  And if any man hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world.
Romans 4:5 But to the one who does not work, but believes in the one who declares the ungodly righteous ...

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #202 on: August 14, 2013, 02:58:34 PM »
Idiom #53 - Frog

Frog=tsephardea=idiom for temptation

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #203 on: August 17, 2013, 01:18:19 PM »
Idiom #54 - Sitting on waters.

Rev 17:1 And there came one of the seven angels which had the seven vials, and talked with me, saying to me, Come here; I will show to you the judgment of the great whore that sits on many waters:

Having authority over many people/mankind. (also coming out of mankind)

The sea in the Bible often represents nations. See section C4: http://home.online.nl/spamfree/Lake/index.html#C4

So Revelation's beast that comes out of the can be a literal sea monster because the word sea can be a literal sea; but more likely it rises from the nations. Not from heaven, outer space etc.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 01:53:35 PM by WhiteWings »

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #204 on: August 29, 2013, 09:04:40 PM »
Idiom #55 - Sounding the trumpet

There were 13 collection boxes for alms in the women's court.
Wide at the bottom narrow at the top. Trumpet shaped.
When a coin was dropped in  the box it made a quite distinct sound.
Boasting Pharisees would throw a large number, of usually low value coins in the boxes to make it known they are great for charity.

Tom

« Reply #205 on: August 30, 2013, 02:02:43 AM »

I've never seen or heard of Hebrew manuscripts that came before the Greek manuscripts except for the Septuagint which is the Greek translation of the Hebrew scriptures. I understand that the writers of the Greek scriptures were Jewish, but most of what I've read says that Aramaic and Greek were the spoken languages in the time of Christ while Hebrew was for the scholars. I think it is interesting that Paul who probably read Hebrew was chosen to be the apostle to the nations. His evangel was distinct from that of the Circumcision, and he evangelized the nations outside Israel that didn't speak Hebrew but probably spoke Greek. His epistles are to the nations other than Israel.

I understand the fascination with Hebrew culture. There was a time I wanted to join a Messianic congregation until I found out they're just Jewish church folks. My point is that I finally realized that I didn't need to be Jewish to follow Christ any more than any of Paul's converts from the nations. Paul kept getting hassled by the Jewish folks who wanted him to force the nations to be subject to Hebrew law, but I think the reason Paul himself was converted by the risen Christ outside the nation of Israel was because we in the body of Christ are not meant to be subject to Hebrew law because we are saved just like Paul was in grace through faith.

The Jewish writers of the Greek scriptures other than Paul are preaching the evangel of the Circumcision. The evangel of the Uncircumcision is the evangel for today. Now is the time God has paused in his dealings with Israel while the nations are being saved. Yes, there are believers in the body of Christ in Israel who have the same celestial destiny as us, but most of the folks in Israel look forward to their kingdom being restored in Jerusalem with their Messiah ruling and the nations being subject to Israel.

We are no longer outsiders or subject to Hebrew law as proselytes through the evangel of the Circumcision. We are saved in grace through faith apart from law. That is the evangel of the Uncircumcision with which Paul was commissioned by the risen Christ. It seems Christ chose Paul because he was the worst of sinners persecuting the ecclesia in Jerusalem, but the grace of God changes lives. That is the amazing thing about the power of God's love. We who are the worst of sinners are the most grateful when we are blessed with the grace of God. God's love overcomes all. It is the most powerful force in the universe. That's why the ultimate demonstration of God's love will be the saving of all mankind from death and the reconciliation of all on earth and in the heavens.

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #206 on: August 30, 2013, 09:15:54 AM »
Hi Tom,

The church fathers quite often mention Matthew was translated from Hebrew.
Scholars seem to change their view on Hebrew vs Aramaic. The Dead Sea Scroll played  a role in that.
Maybe Hebrew or Aramaic isn't even the most important question. They are sister languages and obviously closer than Greek.
Even the question in what language the original were written may not be the most important question.
It was long thought that the Greek texts were written by uneducated men and that's  the reason it sounds so childish. "HS Greek", "Tired Greek" were names given to the NT.
Later it was named Koine Greek. It was really spoken during the time of Jesus. Jerusalem was on trading route..
More recent scholarship discovered something new. Just do a one one Greek to Hebrew translation and in most cases you get perfect Hebrew. Quite often with idioms.
So even if the very first manuscripts were penned down in Greek, they were just Hebrew thought patterns penned down in Greek.

So I personally don't care which language the originals were written in. I'm interested in the mindset of the writers.

There was a time I wanted to join a Messianic congregation until I found out they're just Jewish church folks.
I think not all Messianics are the same, just like not all Christians are the same.

My point is that I finally realized that I didn't need to be Jewish to follow Christ any more than any of Paul's converts from the nations.
That depends on how many of the OT laws you think Jesus did away. Besides that I think you at the very least need to understand Jewish thought.
Just a tiny example. Law in the Jewish mind is almost the total opposite of law in the Greek mind.
So my point isn't we should all because ultra Orthodox Jews but we likely understand Jesus better if we understand the ways of the Ultra Orthodox Jew.
Afterall Jesus was a Jewish man promoting a Jewish Book in a Jewish society...

About circumcision.... I know there are many views on that. Some even see many contradictions. I'll give you one short view as a consideration.
It all started with converted Jews only. Maybe a handful of Romans but mostly Jews. They just kept their daily routine and basically the only difference with the other Jews was that they believed the Messiah had come while other Jews are still waiting.
When Gentiles started pouring in they did not promote all sorts of OT laws for them. Circumcision is one of them. But they still held the view that the nation of the Jews was set apart. They wanted to honor God for keeping them safe during OT times.

So my point is simply: You can't fully understand the OT and NT without fully understanding the Jewish mind/culture.
Of course you are allowed to disagree with that like millions of others do  :declare:

« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 09:46:57 AM by WhiteWings »

Tom

« Reply #207 on: August 30, 2013, 09:27:24 PM »
Hi Tom,

The church fathers quite often mention Matthew was translated from Hebrew.
Scholars seem to change their view on Hebrew vs Aramaic. The Dead Sea Scroll played  a role in that.
Maybe Hebrew or Aramaic isn't even the most important question. They are sister languages and obviously closer than Greek.
Even the question in what language the original were written may not be the most important question.
It was long thought that the Greek texts were written by uneducated men and that's  the reason it sounds so childish. "HS Greek", "Tired Greek" were names given to the NT.
Later it was named Koine Greek. It was really spoken during the time of Jesus. Jerusalem was on trading route..
More recent scholarship discovered something new. Just do a one one Greek to Hebrew translation and in most cases you get perfect Hebrew. Quite often with idioms.
So even if the very first manuscripts were penned down there were just Hebrew thought patterns penned down in Greek.

So I personally don't care which language the originals were written in. I'm interested in the mindset of the writers.

There was a time I wanted to join a Messianic congregation until I found out they're just Jewish church folks.
I think not all Messianics are the same, just like not all Christians are the same.

My point is that I finally realized that I didn't need to be Jewish to follow Christ any more than any of Paul's converts from the nations.
That depends on how many of the OT laws you think Jesus did away. Besides that I think you at the very least need to understand Jewish thought.
Just a tiny example. Law in the Jewish mind is almost the total opposite of law in the Greek mind.
So my point isn't we should all because ultra Orthodox Jews but we likely understand Jesus better if we understand the ways of the Ultra Orthodox Jew.
Afterall Jesus was a Jewish man promoting a Jewish Book in a Jewish society...

About circumcision.... I know there are many views on that. Some even see many contradictions. I'll give you one short view as a consideration.
It all started with converted Jews only. Maybe a handful of Romans but mostly Jews. They just kept their daily routine and basically the only difference with the other Jews was that they believed the Messiah had come while other Jews are still waiting.
When Gentiles started pouring in they did not promote all sorts of OT laws for them. Circumcision is one of them. But they still held the view that the nation of the Jews was set apart. They wanted to honor God for keeping them safe during OT times.

So my point is simply: You can't fully understand the OT and NT without fully understanding the Jewish mind/culture.
Of course you are allowed to disagree with that like millions of others do  :declare:

Like I said, brother, I understand the fascination with the culture. I just don't share your passion for it. I've had folks tell me the Aramaic was the original language of the so called New Testament scripture, and I checked out manuscripts and different translations online. I've never seen comparable Hebrew manuscripts though. I think Greek was used because it was a common language of the nations at the time which were where Paul took the evangel. The problem I had with the Messianic folks I looked into was their church doctrine which was basically the same even though they had a lot of Hebrew ritual. What I was getting at in my post was that Christ preached to the culture which he lived in and rarely dealt with somebody who wasn't Jewish, but we're not a part of that culture. We are one in spirit with Jewish believers through the risen Christ who commissioned Paul to us, but we're not subject to Hebrew law or culture. I realize that it helps to understand the cultural context in which things happened in scripture, but I think it's necessary to be aware of the distinction of the two evangels of Peter and Paul.

For the entire law is fulfilled in one word, in this: "You shall love your associate as yourself." (Galatians 5:14)

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #208 on: August 30, 2013, 11:42:35 PM »
I realize that it helps to understand the cultural context in which things happened in scripture,
That's my whole point!
Understand Jesus' background/culture = Better understanding His message
That's not just a trival hobby. Imo it should be the goal of every Christian...

(For me) it's not about becoming a Jew following all 613 laws regulations and customs.

What I was getting at in my post was that Christ preached to the culture which he lived in and rarely dealt with somebody who wasn't Jewish, but we're not a part of that culture. We are one in spirit with Jewish believers through the risen Christ
Imo it's wrong to see those things seperately. To live in one spirit you/we must know what that spirit wants of us. And for that purpose understanding the background is important.
And once again understanding the background doesn't mean becoming a Jew.

I just want to make taht very clear. I've been accused before I want to convert people to Judadism. :doh:

:Peace2:

Tom

« Reply #209 on: August 31, 2013, 12:37:49 AM »
I realize that it helps to understand the cultural context in which things happened in scripture,
That's my whole point!
Understand Jesus' background/culture = Better understanding His message
That's not just a trival hobby. Imo it should be the goal of every Christian...

(For me) it's not about becoming a Jew following all 613 laws regulations and customs.

What I was getting at in my post was that Christ preached to the culture which he lived in and rarely dealt with somebody who wasn't Jewish, but we're not a part of that culture. We are one in spirit with Jewish believers through the risen Christ
Imo it's wrong to see those things seperately. To live in one spirit you/we must know what that spirit wants of us. And for that purpose understanding the background is important.
And once again understanding the background doesn't mean becoming a Jew.

I just want to make taht very clear. I've been accused before I want to convert people to Judadism. :doh:

:Peace2:

I know you're not trying to convert me to Judaism, bro, and I agree that understanding the cultural context is beneficial. I realize everything in the Hebrew scriptures foreshadowed Christ, but I think somebody can be a believer without fully understanding the evangel or the cultural context.

"if ever you should be avowing with your mouth the declaration that Jesus is Lord, and should be believing in your heart that God rouses Him from among the dead, you shall be saved" (Romans 10:9)

http://concordant.org/expohtml/TheEvangel/BelievingAndUnderstanding.html

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #210 on: September 13, 2013, 04:38:45 PM »
Idiom #56 Daughters of Jerusalem

Small towns surrounding Jerusalem. When attacked the villagers went for safety behind the Jerusalem walls.

Jerusalem also represents the bride. The towns represent believers that don't have/want a very deep relationship with Jesus.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 07:43:51 PM by WhiteWings »

Offline Cardinal

• < Moderator >
« Reply #211 on: November 27, 2013, 12:06:03 AM »
 :cloud9: Just skimmed the last 3 pages of this thread I had missed. I just LOVE this thread, and I'm printing it all out. These are things we ALL should have known and WOULD have known, had not the church been Helenized. It is IMPOSSIBLE to fully understand the so-called NT without comprehending the OT, which is it's foundation, and the Tabernacle of Moses it's "blueprint". My  :2c: as always.....Blessings....
"I would rather train twenty men to pray, than a thousand to preach; A minister's highest mission ought to be to teach his people to pray." -H. MacGregor

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #212 on: November 27, 2013, 07:46:29 AM »
The letter to the 3rd church Pergamum, meaning improper marriage.
Satan was unable to destroy the church so he used his strawman Constantine to marry the church to pagan rome.
Destroyed from within. The way of Balaam.

BTW if you need anything printed PM me...

http://www.afii.org/OJB.pdf

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #213 on: December 21, 2013, 04:06:43 AM »
Idiom#57 - Heaping coals

Heaping hot coals on ones head is an act of compassion.

Live coals were needed for survival. They were used for cooking and heating a house. If a fire went out a woman would go to her neighbor and ask for coals. If the neighbor was kind she would fill the pot of the other woman brought with her with live coals. Things were often carried on the head in those things. So the woman would walk home with hot coals in a pot on her head.

Rom 12:20 Therefore if your enemy hunger, feed him; if he thirst, give him drink: for in so doing you shall heap coals of fire on his head.

Prov 25
21 If your enemy be hungry, give him bread to eat; and if he be thirsty, give him water to drink:
22 For you shall heap coals of fire on his head, and the LORD shall reward you.

BTW 1: Matthew 25:31-46 basically is a judgment about (not) giving your neighbor hot coals.
BTW 2: heaping is not the same as raining coals.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 11:45:20 AM by WhiteWings »

Offline micah7:9

• Gold
  • Mic 7:8 Thou dost not rejoice over me, O mine ene
« Reply #214 on: December 21, 2013, 08:09:20 PM »
Finally and thank you WW for that Idiom! :dsunny:
Mic 7:8  Thou dost not rejoice over me, O mine enemy, When I have fallen, I have risen, When I sit in darkness Jehovah is a light to me.

anna274

« Reply #215 on: December 21, 2013, 10:25:02 PM »
Finally and thank you WW for that Idiom! :dsunny:

Yes, finally!!!... I had been hoping, maybe even praying a bit that WW would check in with an Idiom to help sort out this particular verse.  Thanks again and again WW... Idioms that you have posted have certainly added much "richness"to my ongoing studies as well as helping me to connect many, many dots.
================

This verse also reminds me of

Abraham Lincoln's statement:  "The best way to destroy an enemy is to make him a friend."

Offline Cardinal

• < Moderator >
« Reply #216 on: December 21, 2013, 11:35:33 PM »
 :cloud9: I love that. I always saw hot coals as an act of compassion anyway, because I saw it as fire destroying the enemies that have them in bondage, the first of which is their own carnal mind.

Interesting that in the wedding ketubah on Mt. Sinai when He joined Himself to His bride, coals were also present on the mountain. I have experienced the fire and the coals, in the Spirit. God is awesome. Blessings....
"I would rather train twenty men to pray, than a thousand to preach; A minister's highest mission ought to be to teach his people to pray." -H. MacGregor

Offline eaglesway

• < Moderator >
  • Grace & Peace be multiplied unto you, in Jesus
    • Hell is a Myth.com
« Reply #217 on: December 23, 2013, 12:28:55 AM »
like the coals within the wheels beneath the seraphim, like the stones of fire, like the unquenchable fire that burns the up all chaff and thoroughly purges His threshing floor.
The Logos is complete, but it is not completely understood. hellisamyth.com

Offline Seth

• Silver
« Reply #218 on: December 23, 2013, 07:26:21 PM »
like the coals within the wheels beneath the seraphim, like the stones of fire, like the unquenchable fire that burns the up all chaff and thoroughly purges His threshing floor.

:goodpost:

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #219 on: March 05, 2014, 12:23:46 PM »
Idiom#58 - Caught up

2 Cor 12:2 I know a man in Christ who fourteen years ago was caught up to the third heaven. Whether it was in the body or out of the body I do not know--God knows.

"Caught up" can have a literal meaning but its idiomatic meaning is "have  a vision".

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #220 on: March 05, 2014, 12:52:10 PM »
Idiom#59 - I say to you today

This idiom expresses a fact. Something that will most certainly happen.

Luke 23:43 And Jesus said to him, "Verily, to you am I saying today, with Me shall you be in paradise."

Deut 30:18 I tell you today that you shall perish, yea perish. You shall not prolong your days on the ground where you are crossing over the Jordan to enter to tenant it.

Deut 4:26 26 I testify against you today by the heavens and the earth, that you shall perish, yea perish quickly off the land where you are crossing over the Jordan to tenant it. You shall not prolong your days on it, for you shall be exterminated, yea exterminated.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 07:18:59 PM by WhiteWings »

Offline micah7:9

• Gold
  • Mic 7:8 Thou dost not rejoice over me, O mine ene
« Reply #221 on: March 05, 2014, 06:27:03 PM »
 :banana: :dsunny:
Mic 7:8  Thou dost not rejoice over me, O mine enemy, When I have fallen, I have risen, When I sit in darkness Jehovah is a light to me.

Offline eaglesway

• < Moderator >
  • Grace & Peace be multiplied unto you, in Jesus
    • Hell is a Myth.com
« Reply #222 on: March 11, 2014, 01:31:30 AM »
Idiom#59 - I say to you today

This idiom expresses a fact. Something that will most certainly happen.

Luke 23:43 And Jesus said to him, "Verily, to you am I saying today, with Me shall you be in paradise."

Deut 30:18 I tell you today that you shall perish, yea perish. You shall not prolong your days on the ground where you are crossing over the Jordan to enter to tenant it.

Deut 4:26 26 I testify against you today by the heavens and the earth, that you shall perish, yea perish quickly off the land where you are crossing over the Jordan to tenant it. You shall not prolong your days on it, for you shall be exterminated, yea exterminated.

Where and when is paradise :o)
The Logos is complete, but it is not completely understood. hellisamyth.com

Offline Tapioca

• Full
« Reply #223 on: March 11, 2014, 01:57:25 AM »
Well, wherever it is, I like the "with Me" part.   :dsunny:  :dsunny:
Matthew 11:29 - Take my yoke upon you and learn from me; for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #224 on: May 04, 2014, 05:50:21 PM »
Idom #60 - Bury my father

Luke 9
59 He said to another man, "Follow me." But he replied, "Lord, first let me go and bury my father."
60 Jesus said to him, "Let the dead bury their own dead, but you go and proclaim the kingdom of God."

Bury my father = Let me take care of my father until he dies.