Author Topic: The New Testament was written in Hebrew (not Greek)  (Read 19933 times)

Offline jabcat

• Admin
  • SINNER SAVED BY GRACE
Re: The New Testament was written in Hebrew (not Greek)
« Reply #125 on: December 03, 2011, 05:47:10 AM »
Yes, I had found that earlier when I made this post about a year ago;

« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2010, 04:28:53 PM »

Been looking at some of the Aramaic translation.  Tony and I have chatted about this, I think it's of note.  The translator, Rev. Bauscher, especially in Matthew translated as the lost go to eternal torment, while the righteous go into eternal life.

He reportedly used to be a Baptist minister (usually believe in ET), but is cited on one forum as being a universalist.  Even though he translates as eternal torment, in his notes he states that a literal hell fire should not be taken literally, that would make God "worse than Hitler";  that hell should be seen symbolically as a state of being, not a place of being. 

Neither should there be vulgar speech, foolish talk, or coarse jesting--all of which are out of character--but rather thanksgiving.  Eph. 5:4  **  Saved 1John 3.2, Eph. 2:8, John 1:12 - Being saved 2Cor. 4:16 2Peter 3:18 - Will be saved 1Peter 1:5 Romans 8:23

Offline jabcat

• Admin
  • SINNER SAVED BY GRACE
« Reply #126 on: December 03, 2011, 06:06:09 AM »
still some "influence" somewhere? 

Neither should there be vulgar speech, foolish talk, or coarse jesting--all of which are out of character--but rather thanksgiving.  Eph. 5:4  **  Saved 1John 3.2, Eph. 2:8, John 1:12 - Being saved 2Cor. 4:16 2Peter 3:18 - Will be saved 1Peter 1:5 Romans 8:23

Offline eaglesway

• < Moderator >
  • Grace & Peace be multiplied unto you, in Jesus
    • Hell is a Myth.com
« Reply #127 on: December 03, 2011, 07:52:25 AM »
through a glass darkly....sometimes, very darkly
The Logos is complete, but it is not completely understood. hellisamyth.com

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #128 on: June 11, 2012, 09:34:01 PM »
All of the idioms are gone. I got several stored locally which I will repost.
If someone has one or more idiom stored on his/her PC please PM them to me. Just send what you have. Don't worry about formatting or that they possibly already have been repost. I'll sort it out.
PS the numbering used in this new thread does NOT match the old posts
1 Timothy 2:3-4  ...God our Savior;  Who will have all men to be saved...
John 12:47  And if any man hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world.
Romans 4:5 But to the one who does not work, but believes in the one who declares the ungodly righteous ...

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #129 on: June 11, 2012, 09:37:02 PM »
Idiom #1

(Matt 12:18 [ACV])
Behold, my Boy whom I chose, my beloved in whom my soul is well pleased. I will put my Spirit upon him, and he will declare justice to the Gentiles.

(Isa 42:1 [ACV])
Behold, my servant, whom I uphold, my chosen, in whom my soul delights. I have put my Spirit upon him, he will bring forth justice to the Gentiles.

(Ps 43:1 [ACV])
Judge me, O God, and plead my cause against a profane nation. O deliver me from the deceitful and unjust man.

(John 3:17 [ACV])
For God sent the Son into the world not that he might condemn the world, but that the world might be saved through him.

(the noun salvation is only 7 times in the Gospels

The Hebrew word for Judgement, judging, etc very often means saving, to save etc
Jesus came to save not to judge.
When David was is trouble he called for help (salvation) not the negative meaning of judgement.

(Judg 11:27 [ACV])
I therefore have not sinned against thee, but thou do me wrong to war against me. LORD, the Judge, be judge this day between the sons of Israel and the sons of Ammon.

(Isa 33:22 [ACV])
For LORD is our judge. LORD is our lawgiver. LORD is our king, he will save us.

(Gen 18:25 [ACV])
That be far from thee to do after this manner, to slay a righteous man with a wicked man, that so the righteous man should be as the wicked man. Far be it from thee. Shall not the Judge of all the earth do right?

(Ps 94:2 [ACV])
Lift up thyself, thou judge of the earth. Render to the proud a recompense.

(Luke 22:30 [ACV])
that ye may eat and drink at my table in my kingdom, and sit on thrones judging the twelve tribes of Israel.

(Ps 122:1 [ACV])
I was glad when they said to me, Let us go to the house of LORD.

(Ps 122:2 [ACV])
Our feet are standing inside thy gates, O Jerusalem.

(Ps 122:3 [ACV])
Jerusalem, that is built as a city that is compact together,

(Ps 122:4 [ACV])
where the tribes go up, even the tribes of LORD, [for] an ordinance for Israel, to give thanks to the name of LORD.

(Ps 122:5 [ACV])
For there thrones are set for judgment, the thrones of the house of David.

(Ps 122:6 [ACV])
Pray for the peace of Jerusalem. They shall prosper who love thee.

(Ps 122:7 [ACV])
Peace be within thy walls, and prosperity within thy palaces.

(Ps 122:8 [ACV])
For my brothers and companions' sakes I will now say, Peace be within thee.

(Ps 122:9 [ACV])
For the sake of the house of LORD our God I will seek thy good.

Jersusalem, city of salvation.
John 12:47  And if any man hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world.
Romans 4:5 But to the one who does not work, but believes in the one who declares the ungodly righteous ...

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #130 on: June 11, 2012, 09:38:31 PM »
Idiom #2

(Luke 10:9 [ACV])
And heal the weak in it, and say to them, The kingdom of God has come near to you.

In Hebrew it means the kingdom is already there at that very moment

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #131 on: June 11, 2012, 09:39:46 PM »
Idiom #3

(Matt 5:3 [ACV])
Blessed are the poor in spirit, because the kingdom of the heavens is theirs.

Poor in spirit is shorthand for poor, humble, lowly and broken in spirit
Blessed=blessed, happy and fortunate.

(Isa 66:2 [AKJV])
For all those things has my hand made, and all those things have been, said the LORD: but to this man will I look, even to him that is poor and of a contrite spirit, and trembles at my word.

Kingdom isn't a place but it's "to rule" or "to be ruled"
Heaven is a synonym for God
Theirs isn't the best possible translation because they don't own the kingdom but they are part of it.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 02:25:19 PM by WhiteWings »

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #132 on: June 11, 2012, 09:41:01 PM »
Idiom #4 - Mashal/Nimshal

Not strickt about idioms but about parables which often are giant idioms.

In the NT we read Jesus only spoke in parables in public. That a statement of a simpel fact but it also contains a little extra info for those who know Jewish customs.

Long before Jesus was born Jewish scholars thaught people using Mashal=parable but after that Mashal they retold the same story with a Nimshal (real life example). The way I understand it Jesus only used Nimshals in private.

Read some examples http://www.theparablediscovery.com/subpage7.html

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #133 on: June 11, 2012, 09:41:39 PM »
Idiom #5 - Shake the dust of your sandals means total rejection.

Luke 10
8 "When you enter a town and are welcomed, eat what is offered to you. 9 Heal the sick who are there and tell them, 'The kingdom of God has come near to you.' 10 But when you enter a town and are not welcomed, go into its streets and say, 11 'Even the dust of your town we wipe from our feet as a warning to you. Yet be sure of this: The kingdom of God has come near.' 12 I tell you, it will be more bearable on that day for Sodom than for that town.

Wipe the dust of ones sandals is often understood as "leave the town with not hard feelings toward it's citizens".
The Hebrew interpretation seems to be the opposite. After Jews had contact with gentile they symbolicly shook of the dust of their sandals. It symbolized non Jewish filth. Paganness. And "death". It's very similar to tearing clothes in front of a "dead" person. (mourning of a dead person)
I think it's also similar to Jesus calling the Scribes/Pharisees walking dead.
So (imo) shaking of the dust of the sandals was declaring someone spiritual dead. That's among the most serious Jewish insults. Not a "no hard feelings" as many Christians seem to think. It's utter rejection.
Verse 12 seems to agree with this negative interpretation. Why warn about a fate worse than Sodom if 'you' walk away with no hard feelings?

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #134 on: June 11, 2012, 09:42:10 PM »
Idiom #6 - About camels and ropes

Mat 19:24 And again I say to you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God."

Camel likely is a copying error
Camel and rope are very similar words and can be confused very easily.

Mat 19:24 And again I say to you, it is easier for a rope to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God."

Does that make sense? I think it does if we look at the context. Verse 21 clearly states to sell your stuff. Verse 23 is telling exactly the same in the form of a parable.

21 Jesus said to him, "If you want to be perfect, go, sell what you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me."

Rich men have lots of things. They are like a heavy rope with many strands.
A strand of rope can pass trough the eye of the needle. So the more the rich man sells the thinner his rope becomes. So (imo) it means every almsgiving increases the rich mans chances for heaven.
Narrow gate anyone?

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #135 on: June 11, 2012, 09:42:55 PM »
Idiom #7 - My yoke is light

(Matt 11:28 [cjb]) "Come to me, all of you who are struggling and burdened, and I will give you rest.
(Matt 11:29 [cjb]) Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, because I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.
(Matt 11:30 [cjb]) For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light."

Yoke is easily associated with a burden. Something negative.
But in reality it was something the desire of every student. The teacher carried/pulled a "heavy load of knowledge". The aim of the students was to be able to pull the same load. Obviously the pulling is figarativelu done with a yoke. Just as an ox pulls a cart.
This explanation may sound odd because if Jesus' burden/yoke was light it seems to mean He pulled a small cart of knowledge. Big carts, big teachers. Small carts, small teachers. Humm... before I'm going to wriggle myself out if that blasphemy :mshock: the following verses about Pharisees pulling heavy loads (real smart dudes)

(Matt 23:1 [cjb]) Then Yeshua addressed the crowds and his talmidim:
(Matt 23:2 [cjb]) "The Torah-teachers and the P'rushim," he said, "sit in the seat of Moshe.
(Matt 23:3 [cjb]) So whatever they tell you, take care to do it. But don't do what they do, because they talk but don't act!
(Matt 23:4 [cjb]) They tie heavy loads onto people's shoulders but won't lift a finger to help carry them.

Obvious the Bible in no way is implying Jesus is (vastly) outclassed by the Scribes and Pharisees.
The answer is something that makes you :doh:
Think back at your study time some classes were very boring they seemed to drag on for ages. That was a class of Scribe.
But some classes were so much fun it seems they ended moments after you sat down. That the class of Jesus.
His message/class is full of joy. It teaches liberty while the Scribes thaught endless lists of forbidden things.

Jesus: Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, because I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.

Scribes: Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, because I am rude and burst with pride, and my gloomy teachings will trouble your souls.

The burden is also called: cost of discipleship.

According to Ben Sira, wisdom's yoke, that is, the burden of study, will become joy, strong protection, a golden ornament, a cord of blue, a glorious robe and a crown of gladness. In other words, although the yoke is a burden, the bearer will experience it as easy and light

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #136 on: June 11, 2012, 09:43:27 PM »
Idiom #8 - Hate your parents and follow me.

Hate = love less

(Luke 14:26 [CLV])
If anyone is coming to Me and is not hating his father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, and still more his soul besides, he can not be My disciple."
(Gen 29:30 [ACV])
And he also went in to Rachel, and also he loved Rachel more than Leah, and served with him yet seven other years.
(Gen 29:31 [ACV])
And LORD saw that Leah was regarded inferior, and he opened her womb, but Rachel was barren.

(Gen 29:30 [AKJV])
And he went in also to Rachel, and he loved also Rachel more than Leah, and served with him yet seven other years.
(Gen 29:31 [AKJV])
And when the LORD saw that Leah was hated, he opened her womb: but Rachel was barren.

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #137 on: June 11, 2012, 09:57:16 PM »
Idiom 9  - Whole collection

VerseIdiomMeaning
Gen 4:6Face fallensad
Gen 6:8Found grace in the eyesaccepted
Gen 22.17Seeddescendants
Gen 24.60Possess gatescapture cities
Gen 27.41Said in heartthought to self
Gen 31.35The way of womenmenstruation
Gen 40.13Lift up your headrestore to honor
Ex 1.5Loins ?descendants
Ex 3.8Flowing with milk and honeyfertile
Ex 3.19Mighty handforce
Ex 13.2Open the wombbe born
Ex 15.25Sweet waterwater fit to drink
Ex 32.19His anger burnedvery angry
Ex 34.6Long of angerslow to get angry
Lev. 20.18Her sicknessher period
Lev 22.6Soulperson
Deut 5.6House of bondage(land of) slavery
Deut 8.14Heart lifted upproud
Deut 15.7Close handselfish
Deut 20.8Heart meltlose courage
Deut 21.17Beginning of his strengthhis firstborn
Deut 23.13Squat outsidedefecate
Deut 23.13What comes from youexcrement
Deut 28.28Heartmind
Josh 10.6Slack handsabandon
Judges 3.28Deliver them into your handsdefeat them for you
Judges 13.5From the wombfrom birth
1 Sam 10.9gave him another heartchanged his attitude
1 Sam 24.3covered his feetrelieved himself
1 Sam 25.22one who urinates against a wallmale
2 Sam 1.12housenation
2 Sam 18.25good news is in his mouthhe brings good news
1 Ki 2.10sleptdied
2 Ki 2.7sons of the prophetsgroup of prophets
2 Ki 4.29gird up your loinsget ready
2 Ki 19.26small of handweak
2 Chr 25.17look each other in the facemeet each other in battle
2 Chr 36.13stiffened his neckbecame stubborn
Esther 1.7Open handgenerosity
Esther 1.14Saw his facehad access to him
Esther 2.21Send a hand againstassassinate
Esther 6.10let fallneglect (3)
Job 1.12Put hand onharm
Job 20.20Knew no quiet in their belliesgreedy
Job 23.16Soft heartfearful
Job 31.10Kneel overhave sex with
Job 33.16Opens the earinforms, reveals
Job 35.8Son of manother humans
Ps 3.7Break teethmake powerless
Ps 4.1Enlarge spaceset free
Ps 5.9Their throat is an open gravethey speak deceitfully
Ps 6.7Eye is consumedvision is blurred
Ps 7.3Iniquity in my handsguilty
Ps 7.9Hearts and kidneysthoughts and emotions
Ps 10.5Snortsscoffs
Ps 11.6the portion of their cuptheir destiny
Ps 12.2double heartduplicitous
Ps 17.8Little man of the eyepupil
Ps 24.4Clean handsact purely
Ps 25.1Lift up my soulpray
Ps 27.8Seek my faceseek me
Ps 33.18Eyes are uponwatches over
Ps 41.9Lifted heel againstturned against
Ps 73.9Tongue struts through the eartharrogantly order everyone
Ps 75.5Lift horndefy God
Ps 89.13Right handmight
Ps 89.22Son of wickednesswicked person
Ps 90.12Number daysuse time wisely
Ps 94.9Plantedcreated
Ps 102.2Hide your facerefuse to answer
Ps 121.1Lift up eyeslook up toward
Ps 124.3Swallowed alivekilled
Pro 17.22Dries bonesdrains strength
Pro 22.9Good eyegenerous
Pro 23.6Bad/Evil eyestingy
Pro 18.20Fruit of the mouthwhat someone says
Pro 24.20lamp will go outwill die
Song 2.4His banner over me is lovehe loves me very much
Song 2.17Until the day breathesuntil dawn
Song 4.2none is bereavednone is missing
Is 9.9Arrogance of heartarrogant
Is 14.12Son of the morningmorning star
Is 35.10Joy will crown their headsthey will be joyful
Is 52.7Feetperson
Is 57.4Open mouth widesneer
Is 60.16Suck the milk of nationsreceive the wealth of other countries
Is 61.3Oil of gladnessjoy
Jer 4.4Remove the foreskin of your heartdedicate yourselves fully to God
Jer 4.19Wallspain
Jer 4.30Seek your lifewant to kill you
Jer 5.5Broken the yokerejected God's authority
Jer 6.10Ears are uncircumciseddon't listen
Jer 7.12Where I caused my name to dwellwhere I chose to be worshiped
Jer 9.1watersspring of water
Jer. 25.15Wine of wrathmy anger
Jer 50.33Sons ofpeople of
Jer 51.37Hissingscorn
Lam 1.16Eyes run down with watereyes flow with tears
Ezek 3.7Hard foreheadstubborn
Ezek 16.25Spread feetoffer self for sex
Ezek 16.26Big of phalluslustful
Mal 1.11My nameme
Mal 2.12he who awakens and he who answersevery single person

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #138 on: June 11, 2012, 09:59:49 PM »
Idiom #10  - Random collection (may overlap with other posts)

This webpage may be copied or its contents adapted if its title and compiler are cited. The following list consists of figures of speech in the Hebrew Bible, such as idioms, euphemisms, metaphors, metonymy, synecdoche, and personification. Figurative meanings are given after the literal translations. Our suggestion of the type of figure of speech (open to debate in several cases) is given in parentheses.
Gen. 4:1 know someone = have sex with someone (euphemism)
Gen. 6:8 Noah found grace in the eyes of the LORD = God was pleased with Noah (idiom)
Gen. 15:15 you will go to your fathers = you will die (euphemism)
Gen. 18:27 I am nothing but dust and ashes = I am not worth much (metaphor)
Gen. 20:6 touch = harm (metonymy)
Gen. 26:8 laughing intensely with =sexually caressing, perhaps even, having sex with (euphemism)
Gen. 27:38 lift up voice = vocalize (idiom)
Gen 27.41 said in heart = thought / said to self (metonymy)
Gen. 29:1 lifted his feet = began a journey (metonymy)
Gen 40.13 lift up your head = restore to honor (metaphor)
Ex 3.8 flowing with milk and honey = fertile (idiom)
Ex 7:22 Pharaoh's heart was hardened = stubborn (metaphor)
Ex 13.2 open the womb = be born (metonymy)
Deut 15.7 close hand = selfish (metonymy)
Deut. 15:9 evil eye = stingy (metaphor)
Deut 20.8 heart melt = lose courage (metaphor)
Judges 3:22 the dirt came out =his bowels emptied (euphemism)
Ruth 3:7 feet = genitals (metonymy)
1 Sam. 24:3 covered his feet = relieved himself (metonymy?)
1 Sam. 25:22 any that urinates against the wall = any male (metonymy)
1 Kings 11:9; Psalm 76:7 God's nostils enlarged = God became angry (metonymy)
1 Ki 2:10 slept with his fathers = died (euphemism)
2 Ki 4.29 gird up your loins = get ready (metonymy)
2 Ki 19.26 small of hand = weak (metonymy)
2 Chr 36.13 stiffened his neck = became stubborn (metonymy)
Esther 1.7 open hand = generosity (metonymy)
Job 20.20 knew no quiet in their bellies = greedy (metaphor)
Job 23.16 soft heart = fearful (metaphor)
Ps 5.9 their throat is an open grave = they speak deceitfully (metaphor)
Ps 6.7 eye is consumed = vision is blurred (metaphor)
Ps 7.9 hearts and kidneys = mind thoughts and heart emotions (metaphor)
Ps 12.2 double heart = duplicitous (metaphor)
Ps. 12:3 cut off all flattering lips = bring the flattering to an end (idiom)
Ps 17.8 little man of the eye = pupil (metaphor)
Ps 24.4 clean hands = act purely (metaphor)
Ps 25.1 lift up my soul = pray (idiom)
Ps 27.8 seek my face = seek me (metonymy)
Ps 33.18 eyes are upon = watches over (metonymy)
Ps 41.9 lifted heel against = turned against (metonymy)
Ps 73.9 tongue struts through the earth = arrogantly order everyone (personification)
Ps 75.5 lift horn = defy God (metonymy)
Ps 80:3 face shine = show favor to (metonymy)
Ps 89.13 right hand = might (metonymy)
Ps 89.22 son of wickedness = wicked person (metaphor)
Ps 90.12 number days = use time wisely (idiom)
Ps 94.9 planted = created (metaphor)
Ps 102.2 hide your face = refuse to answer (idiom)
Ps 121.1 lift up eyes = look up toward (metaphor)
Pro 17.22 dries bones = drains strength (idiom)
Pro 18.20 fruit of the mouth = what someone says (idiom)
Pro 22.9 good eye = generous (idiom)
Pro 24.20 lamp will go out = will die (idiom)
Song 2.4 his banner over me is love = he loves me very much (idiom)
Song 2.17 until the day breathes = until dawn (personification)
Is. 3:16 stretched forth necks = haughtiness (metonymy)
Is 14.12 son of the morning = morning star (idiom)
Is 35.10 joy will crown their heads = they will be joyful (idiom)
Is 60.16 suck the milk of nations = receive the wealth of other countries (idiom)
Jer 4.4 remove the foreskin of your heart = dedicate yourselves fully to God (idiom)
Jer 4.19 walls = pain (metonymy)
Jer 5.5 broken the yoke = rejected God's authority (metonymy)
Jer 6.10 ears are uncircumcised = don't listen (idiom)
Jer 7.12 where I caused my name to dwell = where I chose to be worshiped (metonymy)
Jer. 15:16 eat = understand (metaphor)
Jer. 25.15 wine of wrath = my anger (idiom)
Jer 50.33 sons of = people of (metonymy)
Ezek 3.7 hard forehead = stubborn (idiom)
Ezek 16.25 spread feet = offer self for sex (euphemism)
Ezek 16.26 big of phallus = lustful (metonymy)
Jonah 3:3 a city great to God = very large (idiom)
Jonah 4:9 angry unto death = very angry (idiom)

New Testament Hebraisms:
New Testament idioms
compiled by Wayne Leman

(This webpage may be copied or its contents adapted if its title and compiler are cited.) An idiom is an expression in a language which has a unique meaning which cannot be understood from the meanings of its parts (some English idioms are "It's raining cats and dogs", "Are you pulling my leg?" and "He flew off the handle"). Many NT Greek idioms are literal translations of Hebrew idioms. The boundary between idioms and other figures of speech is not always clearcut in the literature on NT Greek. In many cases, what are called idioms should, technically, often be analyzed as other figures of speech, such as metonymy, euphemism, etc. Perhaps this is to be expected, since idioms often derive from dead metaphors. Compare the New Testament figures of speech page.
(Resources used to help make this collection included the Greek lexicon by Barclay Newman which accompanies the UBS Greek New Testament. A number of the idioms here were first pointed to me by an e-mail friend, Brent Hudson, who searched the L&N lexicon for NT Greek idioms. Abbreviation L&N = Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament Based on Semantic Domains, by Louw & Nida)
(literal English translations with idiomatic meaning in parentheses):
Mt. 1:18 EN GASTRI EXOUSA: she having in the belly (=she was pregnant)
Mt. 3.8 POIEW KARPON: to make fruit (=to produce results)
Mt. 6:22 if your eye is good (=if you are generous)
Mt. 6:23 if your eye is evil (=if you are stingy)

Mt. 8:12 TO SKOTOS TO EXWTERON: the outer darkness [=a place which is dark and removed (from where righteous ones are)]
Mt. 10:27 what you hear in your ear (=what you hear in secret)
Mt. 10:38 he who does not take his cross (=be prepared to suffer, including die)
Mt. 11:15 whoever has ears, let him hear (=everyone should listen carefully)
Mt. 22:16 you do not look at the face of men (=you do not judge on the basis of external appearances)
Mt. 23:32 Fill up the measure of your fathers! (=finish what your ancestors began)
Mk. 1:32 those having badly (=those who were sick)
Mk. 2:19 sons of the groom (=guests of the bridegroom)
Mk. 3.21 hOI PAR' AUTOU: those beside him (=his family)
Mk. 9:1 taste death (=die)
Lk. 3:5 EIMI EIS "to be into" (=to change into)
Lk. 16:22 KOLPOS ABRAAM: Abraham's bosom (=be with Abraham, heaven)
Jn. 1:16 grace upon grace (=one blessing after another; blessed time after time)
Jn. 2:4 what to me and to you? (Hebraism; =what does that have to do with us?)
Jn. 9:24 DIDWMI DOXAN TW QEW: give glory to God (=promise under oath to tell the truth)
Jn. 20:26 Peace be to you! (=Hello; a literal Greek translation from the most common Hebraic greeting, "shalom")
Acts 11:22 News of this came to the ears of the church (=the church heard about it)
Acts 15:10 placing a yoke on the neck (=burdening with obligations)
Acts 17:21 doing/making time (=spending time)
Acts 18:6 Your blood be upon your heads! (=You yourselves must take the blame for it!)
Acts 18:14 to open the mouth (=to speak)
Acts 20:33 ARGURION KAI CRUSION: silver and gold (=money)
Acts 22:14 to hear the voice (sound) of his mouth (=hear him speak)
Acts 26:14 PROS KENTRON LAKTIZEIN: kick against the goad (=to hurt oneself by active resistance)
Acts 28:27 they hear heavily with their ears (=be slow to understand)
Acts 28:27 hear with their ears (reflects Hebraic "cognate" construction; =to listen intently)
Rom. 1:17 from faith to faith (=faith from start to finish; see Benware article in The Bible Translator journal for this meaning)
Rom. 12:9 AGAPH ANUPOKRITOS: let love be not speaking from underneath (a mask) (=love without hypocrisy)
Rom. 12:20 you will heap burning coals on his head (=you will be very kind to him)
1 Cor. 7:35 BROCON EPIBALW: throw a bridle on (=restrict, control, impose restrictions)
1 Cor. 14:9 EIS AERA LALOUNTES: talking into the air (=talking with no one understanding)
1 Cor. 15:40 SWMATA EPOURANIA: heavenly bodies (=celestial objects)
2 Cor. 3:18 are being transformed from glory to glory (=are becoming ever more glorious)
Eph. 1:23 the fullness of him who fills all in all (uncertain meaning)
Col. 1:23 hUPO TON OURANON: under the sky (=on earth)
2 Thess. 3:12 eat their own bread (=work for a living)
Heb. 8:9 I took them by the hand (=I carefully guided them)
Heb. 12:28 Let us have grace (=Let us be thankful)
James 1:23 TO PROSWPON THS GENESEWS AUTOU: the face of his birth (=his natural face)
James 3:6 TON TROCON THS GENESEWS: the wheel of birth (=the cycle of life)
1 Peter 1:13 gird up the loins of your minds (=prepare your minds for action)
Jude 13 hO ZOFOS TOU SKOTOUS: the gloom of darkness (=gloomy hell)
Rev. 16:3 YUCH ZWHS: living soul (=living creature)
Rev. 20:10 LIMNH TOU PUROS: lake of fire (=great expanse of fire, place of destruction)

Websites:
http://bible-translation.110mb.com/otidioms.htm
http://bible-translation.110mb.com/ntidioms.htm
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 02:13:53 PM by WhiteWings »

Offline lomarah

• Silver
« Reply #139 on: June 11, 2012, 10:01:55 PM »
Wow, I hadn't read these before, these are really cool! Very informative!! Where did you find these?
From Him and through Him and to Him are all things.

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #140 on: June 11, 2012, 10:09:49 PM »
Idiom #11

VerseIdiomMeaning
Gen 22.17Seeddescendants
Gen 24.60Possess gatescapture cities
Gen 27.41Said in heartthought to self
Gen 31.35The way of womenmenstruation
Gen 40.13Lift up your headrestore to honor
Ex 1.5Loins ?descendants
Ex 3.8Flowing with milk and honeyfertile
Ex 3.19Mighty handforce
Ex 13.2Open the wombbe born
Ex 15.25Sweet waterwater fit to drink
Ex 32.19His anger burnedvery angry
Ex 34.6Long of angerslow to get angry
Lev. 20.18Her sicknessher period
Lev 22.6Soulperson
Deut 5.6House of bondage(land of) slavery
Deut 8.14Heart lifted upproud
Deut 15.7Close handselfish
Deut 20.8Heart meltlose courage
Deut 21.17Beginning of his strengthhis firstborn
Deut 23.13Squat outsidedefecate
Deut 23.13What comes from youexcrement
Deut 28.28Heartmind
Josh 10.6Slack handsabandon
Judges 3.28Deliver them into your handsdefeat them for you
Judges 13.5From the wombfrom birth
1 Sam 10.9gave him another heartchanged his attitude
1 Sam 24.3covered his feetrelieved himself
1 Sam 25.22one who urinates against a wallmale
2 Sam 1.12housenation
2 Sam 18.25good news is in his mouthhe brings good news
1 Ki 2.10sleptdied
2 Ki 2.7sons of the prophetsgroup of prophets
2 Ki 4.29gird up your loinsget ready
2 Ki 19.26small of handweak
2 Chr 25.17look each other in the facemeet each other in battle
2 Chr 36.13stiffened his neckbecame stubborn
Esther 1.7Open handgenerosity
Esther 1.14Saw his facehad access to him
Esther 2.21Send a hand againstassassinate
Esther 6.10let fallneglect (3)
Job 1.12Put hand onharm
Job 20.20Knew no quiet in their belliesgreedy
Job 23.16Soft heartfearful
Job 31.10Kneel overhave sex with
Job 33.16Opens the earinforms, reveals
Job 35.8Son of manother humans
Ps 3.7Break teethmake powerless
Ps 4.1Enlarge spaceset free
Ps 5.9Their throat is an open gravethey speak deceitfully
Ps 6.7Eye is consumedvision is blurred
Ps 7.3Iniquity in my handsguilty
Ps 7.9Hearts and kidneysthoughts and emotions
Ps 10.5Snortsscoffs
Ps 11.6the portion of their cuptheir destiny
Ps 12.2double heartduplicitous
Ps 17.8Little man of the eyepupil
Ps 24.4Clean handsact purely
Ps 25.1Lift up my soulpray
Ps 27.8Seek my faceseek me
Ps 33.18Eyes are uponwatches over
Ps 41.9Lifted heel againstturned against
Ps 73.9Tongue struts through the eartharrogantly order everyone
Ps 75.5Lift horndefy God
Ps 89.13Right handmight
Ps 89.22Son of wickednesswicked person
Ps 90.12Number daysuse time wisely
Ps 94.9Plantedcreated
Ps 102.2Hide your facerefuse to answer
Ps 121.1Lift up eyeslook up toward
Ps 124.3Swallowed alivekilled
Pro 17.22Dries bonesdrains strength
Pro 18.20Fruit of the mouthwhat someone says
Pro 24.20lamp will go outwill die
Song 2.4His banner over me is lovehe loves me very much
Song 2.17Until the day breathesuntil dawn
Song 4.2none is bereavednone is missing
Is 9.9Arrogance of heartarrogant
Is 14.12Son of the morningmorning star
Is 35.10Joy will crown their headsthey will be joyful
Is 52.7Feetperson
Is 57.4Open mouth widesneer
Is 60.16Suck the milk of nationsreceive the wealth of other countries
Is 61.3Oil of gladnessjoy
Jer 4.4Remove the foreskin of your heartdedicate yourselves fully to God
Jer 4.19Wallspain
Jer 4.30Seek your lifewant to kill you
Jer 5.5Broken the yokerejected God's authority
Jer 6.10Ears are uncircumciseddon't listen
Jer 7.12Where I caused my name to dwellwhere I chose to be worshiped
Jer 9.1watersspring of water
Jer. 25.15Wine of wrathmy anger
Jer 50.33Sons ofpeople of
Jer 51.37Hissingscorn
Lam 1.16Eyes run down with watereyes flow with tears
Ezek 3.7Hard foreheadstubborn
Ezek 16.25Spread feetoffer self for sex
Ezek 16.26Big of phalluslustful
Mal 1.11My nameme
Mal 2.12he who awakens and he who answersevery single person

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #141 on: June 11, 2012, 10:11:19 PM »
More info:

Simile- a likening of one thing to another, usually containing the words "like" or "as."

Example: His head and hair were white like wool, as white as snow, and his eyes were like blazing fire. Revelation 1:14 NIV

Example: He wraps himself in light as with a garment; he stretches out the heavens like a tent.. Psalm 104:2-3 NIV

Metaphor- very much like a simile. An implied comparison between two objects without using words such as "like" or "as."

Example- You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again. Matthew 5:13 NIV

Hyperbole- an idiom of overstatement. An exaggeration to make or reinforce a point.

Example: If your right eye causes you to sin, gouge it out and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to be thrown into hell. Matthew 5:29 NIV

Hendiadys- the combination of two or three things to express the same meaning.

Example: May the God of peace sanctify you through and through. May your whole spirit, soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of the Lord Jesus Christ. 1 Thessalonians 5:23 NIV

Irony- stating one thing, but meaning the exact opposite.

Example: Go and cry out to the gods you have chosen. Let them save you when you are in trouble. Judges 10:14 NIV

Example: Doubtless you are the people, and wisdom will die with you. Job 12:1-2 NIV

Litotes- a phrase that lessens one thing in order to exalt another.

Example: Once you were not a people, but now you are the people of God; once you had not received mercy, but now you have received mercy. 1 Peter 2:10 NIV

Euphemism- substituting a harsh or offensive term with a less offensive one.

Example: After he had said this, he went on to tell him, "Our friend Lazarus has fallen asleep; but I am going there to wake him up."(Jesus was speaking of the death of Lazarus) John 11:11 NIV

Antithesis- a direct contrast of one set of figures to another.

Example: For the sinful nature desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the sinful nature. Galatians 5:17 NIV

Ellipsis- a passage that is grammatically incomplete which requires the reader to complete it.

Example: Do all have gifts of healing? Do all speak in tongues? Do all interpret? 1 Corinthians 12:30 NIV

Metonymy- the substitution of a noun for another closely associated noun. We understand the meaning of the this substituted noun by the association it produces in the readers mind.

Example: He is the one who will build a house for me, and I will establish his throne forever.(Here the word "throne" would mean kingdom)1 Chronicles 17:12 NIV

Example: I will place on his shoulder the key to the house of David; what he opens no one can shut, and what he shuts no one can open.(Here "key" would mean authority) Isaiah 22:22 NIV

Synecdoche- a figure of speech in which the part represents the whole or the whole represents the part.

Example: Let me know that it is your hand, that you, O Lord, have done it. Psalm 109:27 NIV

Eponymy- a type of Synecdoche, in which an individual represents the whole nation.

Example: For you have as many gods as you have towns, O Judah. Jeremiah 2:28 NIV

Merismus- a combination of parts of the whole to express totality.

Example: At midnight the Lord struck down all the firstborn in Egypt, from the firstborn of Pharaoh, who sat upon the throne, to the firstborn of the prisoner, who was in the dungeon, and the firstborn of all the livestock as well. Exodus 12:29 NIV

Personification- the representation of a concept or object as if it were a person.

Example: Wisdom calls aloud in the street, she raises her voice in the public squares; at the head of the noisy streets she cries out, in the gateways of the city she makes her speech. Proverbs 1:20-21 NIV

Apostrophe- a personification in which the writer addresses the object or concept that he has personified.

Example: "Where, O death, is your victory? Where, O death, is your sting?" 1 Corinthians 15:55 NIV.

http://www.frontlineweb.8m.com/idioms.html

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #142 on: June 11, 2012, 10:26:46 PM »
Quote from: rosered on April 03, 2012, 03:22:58 PM
   I love these WW ! 
 Do you have any about laying on hands of the sick to recover ?

From Alfred Edersheim an orthodox Jew that became a (leading) Christian scholar/minister.

Laying on of Hands
But this was only the commencement of the service. Women might bring their sacrifices into the Great Court; but they might not perform the second rite— of laying on of hands. This meant transmission and delegation, and implied representation; so that it really pointed to the substitution of the sacrifice for the sacrificer. Hence it was always accompanied by confession of sin and prayer. It was thus done. The sacrifice was so turned that the person confessing looked towards the west, while he laid his hands between the horns of the sacrifice, * and if the sacrifice was brought by more than one, each had to lay on his hands.

* If the offerer stood outside the Court of the Priests, on the topmost of the fifteen Levitical steps, or within the gate of Nicanor, his hands at least must be within the Great Court, or the rite was not valid.

It is not quite a settled point whether one or both hands were laid on; but all are agreed that it was to be done 'with one's whole force'— it were, to lay one's whole weight upon the substitute. *

* Children, the blind, the deaf, those out of their minds, and non-Israelites, were not allowed to 'lay on hands.'

If a person under vow had died, his heir-at-law took his place. The only public sacrifices in which hands were laid on were those for sins of public ignorance (Lev 4:15; 16:21), when the 'elders' acted as representing the people— which some Rabbinical authorities add public sin-offerings in general (on the ground of 2 Chron 29:23)— the scapegoat on the Day of Atonement, on which the high-priest laid his hands. In all private sacrifices, except firstlings, tithes, and the Paschal lamb, hands were laid on, and, while doing so, the following prayer was repeated: 'I entreat, O Jehovah: I have sinned, I have done perversely, I have rebelled, I have committed (naming the sin, trespass, or, in case of a burnt-offering, the breach of positive or negative command); but I return in repentance, and let this be for my atonement (covering).' According to Maimonides, in peace-offerings a record of God's praise, rather than a confession of sins, was spoken. But, as the principle prevailed that frequent confession even without sacrifice was meritorious, another formula is also recorded, in which the allusion to sacrifices is omitted.

Closely connected with this was 'the lifting and waving' of certain sacrifices. The priest put his hands under those of the offerer, and moved the sacrifice upwards and downwards, right and left; according to Abarbanel also 'forwards and backwards.' The lamb of the leper's trespass-offering was waved before it was slain (Lev 14:24); private peace-offerings, only after they had been slain; while in public peace-offerings, the practice varied.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The above is about animal sacrifice. I'm not sure it's relevant to your question? Does the laying of hands "transfer" prayers into the sick person? Usally the laying of hands transfered sins.

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #143 on: June 11, 2012, 10:32:52 PM »

HEBREW IDIOM        MEANING           EXAMPLE

a (the) door was opened   door of spiritual truth      Rev. 4:1

abar'ka'dabara (Aramaic)   I will create as I speak     Gen. 1:1   

Abraham's seed     same as Yah's seed      Gen. 12:3

Arrogance of heart    arrogant        Isa. 9.9

Bad/Evil eye     stingy        Prov. 23.6

Beginning of his strength   his firstborn        Deut. 21.17

Big of phallus     lustful        Ezek. 16.26

bind       forbid        Matt. 16:19-20

Break teeth     make powerless       Ps. 3.7

Breath      personality

Broken the yoke     rejected God's authority      Jer. 5.5

Clean hands     act purely        Ps. 24.4

Close hand      selfish        Deut. 15.7

Clouds without water    no Torah/law       Jude 12

Covered his feet    relieved himself       1Sam. 24.3

Cycles of rightiousness   cycles of Feasts, Sabbaths, etc.    Psa. 23:3

Dead stones     singular person

Deliver them into your hands  defeat them for you      Jgs. 3.28

Dirst came out     gutted (entralls)       Jgs. 3:22

Do what they did    sew seed like Abraham     Mark 4:8

Double heart     duplicitous        Ps. 12.2

Dries bones     drains strength       Prov. 17.22

Ears are uncircumcised   don't listen       Jer. 6.10

Elder       torah observant man over 50..tradition

Enlarge space     set free        Ps. 4.1

Evil eye      cheapskate, selfish, no charity

Eye of a needle     impossibility     

Eye is consumed    vision is blurred       Ps. 6.7

Eyes run down with water   eyes flow with tears      Lam. 1.16

Eyes are upon     watches over       Ps. 33.18

Face fallen     sad         Gen. 4:6

Face to face     personally witnessed something divine   Gen. 32:30

Fear       respect/reverence

Feet       person        Isa. 52.7

Flowing with milk and honey  fertile        Exod. 3.8

Found grace in the eyes   accepted        Gen 6:8

From the womb     from birth        Jgs. 13.5

Fruit of the mouth    what someone says      Prov.. 18.20

Gave him another heart   changed his attitude      1Sam. 10.9

Gird up your loins    get ready        2Kgs. 4.29

Good eye      generous        Prov. 22.9

Good news is in his mouth   he brings good news      2Sam. 18.25

Grapes of Sodom    opium/poppies       Deut. 32:31-33

Grapes of wrath     judgement time       Rev. 14:19

Hard forehead     stubborn        Ezek. 3.7

Having a bad eye    cheap, uncharitable      Matt. 6:22

He who awakens and he who answers every single person      Mal. 2.12

Her sickness     her period        Lev. 20.18

Hide your face     refuse to answer      Ps. 102.2

His anger burned    very angry        Exod. 32.19

Heart      mind         Deut. 28.28

Heart lifted up     proud        Deut. 8.14

Heart melt      lose courage       Deut. 20.8

Hearts and kidneys    thoughts and emotions     Ps. 7.9

His banner over me is love   he loves me very much     Song 2.4

Hissing      scorn        Jer 51.37

House of bondage    (land of) slavery      Deut 5.6

House      nation        2Sam. 1.12

Hung himself     fell on his sword (suicide)   1Sam. 31:4b-5, 2Sam. 1:6, Acts 1:18,

Iniquity in my hands    guilty        Ps. 7.3

In that day      when Messiah comes      Zech. 3:10

It is finished     no more sacrifices      John 19:30, Rev. 16:17

Joy will crown their heads   they will be joyful      Isa. 35.10

Knew no quiet in their bellies  greedy        Job 20.20

Kneel over      have sex with       Job 31.10

Lift up my soul     pray         Ps. 25.1

Living stones     multiple persons

Lamp will go out     will die        Prov. 24.20

Let the dead bury the dead "Let the dead bury the dead" means make a clear and total break with the spiritually dead. "Dead" is a noun. (Luke 9:59-62 Matt. 8:18-20)

Let fall      neglect (3)       Esther 6.10

libation      fine drink   

Lift up your head    restore to honor       Gen. 40.13

Lifted heel against    turned against       Ps. 41.9

Lift up eyes     be aware of something     Ps. 121.1

Lift horn      defy God        Ps. 75.5

Little man of the eye    pupil         Ps. 17.8

Loins       descendants       Exod. 1.5

Long of anger     slow to get angry      Exod. 34.6

Look each other in the face  meet each other in battle     2Chr. 25.17

loose       permit it, allow it      Matt. 16:19-20,

Mercies of God     13 attributes of Yah      Rom. 12:1, Exod. 34:6-7, Mighty hand     force         Exod. 3.19

Mountain      things representing authority     Matt. 17:20

Myriads of thousands    millions, like grains of sand     Num. 10:35,

My name      me         Mal. 1.11

New wineskin     new teaching, expandable     Luke 5:37

Nimrod      fool, idiot

No man knows the day or hour  Feast of Trumpets      Matt. 25:13, Rev. 3:3,

No one comes to the Father but through the Son: entrance to the Holy Place  John 14:6

None is bereaved    none is missing       Song 4.2

Number days     use time wisely       Ps. 90.12

Oil of gladness     joy         Isa. 61.3

Old wineskin     someone learned in his ways     Luke 5:37

One who urinates against a wall  male         1Sam. 25.22

Open the womb     be born        Exod. 13.2

Open hand      generosity        Esther 1.7

Opens the ear     informs, reveals       Job 33.16

Open mouth wide    sneer        Isa. 57.4

Planted      created        Ps. 94.9

Possess gates     capture cities       Gen. 24.60

Promotion comes from the north  comes from Yah 

Put hand on     harm         Job 1.12

Rabbi       torah teacher over 30..tradition

rain       life & teachings (Torah)      Mark 4:26

Remove the foreskin of your heart dedicate yourselves fully to God    Jer 4.4

Right hand      might        Ps. 89.13

Rosh       poppy plant head 

Rooster crows     Temple crier      John 13:38, Mark 14:30

Sage       Torah observant wise man over 70..tradition

Said in heart     thought to self       Gen. 27.41

Saw his face     had access to him      Esther 1.14

Seed       descendants       Gen. 22.17

Seek your life     want to kill you       Jer. 4.30

Seek my face     seek me        Ps. 27.8

Send a hand against    assassinate       Esther 2.21

Slack hands     abandon        Josh. 10.6

Slept       died         1Kgs. 2.10

Small of hand     weak         2Kgs. 19.26

Snorts      scoffs        Ps. 10.5

Suck the milk of nations   receive the wealth of other countries    Isa. 60.16

Sweet water     water fit to drink      Exod. 15.25

Soft heart      fearful        Job 23.16

Sons of the prophets    group of prophets      2Kgs. 2.7

Sons of      people of        Jer 50.33

Son of Jesse, David, man   Yeshua        Job 35.8

Son of the morning    morning star       Isa. 14.12

Son of wickedness    wicked person       Ps. 89.22

Soul       person         Lev. 22.6

Spread feet     offer self for sex      Ezek 16.25

Stiffened his neck    became stubborn      2Chr. 36.13

Squat outside     defecate (toilet)      Deut 23.13

Swallowed alive     killed         Ps. 124.3

take my yoke (not burdensome) a Rabbi's pitch       1John 5:3, Matt. 11:29

theif in the night    High priest in the Temple     1Ths. 5:2, Rev. 3:3;16:15 Their throat is an open grave  they speak deceitfully     Ps. 5.9

The portion of their cup   their destiny       Ps. 11.6

The way of women    menstruation       Gen. 31.35

Thousand years     long time, not 1000      2Pet. 3:8

Thorn in the side    Putting up with the Canaanites, pagans   2Cor. 12:7, Jgs. 2:2-3,

Tongue struts through the earth  arrogantly order everyone     Ps. 73.9

Trees of life     Torah scrolls...tradition

Twilight      after 3:00pm 

Until the day breathes   until dawn        Song 2.17

under the fig tree    at peace        John 1:48

under the thigh     penis, place of generation      Gen. 24:2

unto heaven     high walls or towers      Gen. 11:3-4, Deut. 1:28

Walls       pain         Jer. 4.19

Water of gall     opium derivitive       Deut. 32:31-33

Waters      spring of water       Jer. 9.1

Wells without water    no Torah (water)      2Pet. 2:17

What comes from you   excrement        Deut. 23.13

Where I caused my name to dwell where I chose to be worshiped     Jer. 7.12

Wine of wrath     my anger        Jer. 25.15

Wormwood     poppies/grapes of gall     Deut. 32:31-33 

Yah's seed      same as Abraham's seed      Gen. 12:3

Yoke       teachings        Matt. 11:29-30

"Your seed will possess the gate of your enemies" is a Hebrew idiom meaning: "Your seed will conquer your enemies" (Gen. 22:17, Jgs. 16:3).

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #144 on: June 11, 2012, 10:34:19 PM »
Idiom #13 - Heavy and light teachings

Not really an idiom but the concept many idioms an parables are based on.
Parables were used extensively. Scholars found 4000+ different ones.

Light and heavy usually means give a "light example" everyone agrees with and then how that light example can be maginified to a heavy example.

When Jesus healed/helped a sick peron on Sabbath the Scribes accused Him of working on Sabbath.
Jesus answered with a light heavy teaching. He said/asked it was permitted to help an ox that fell in a ditch. The Scribes agreed with this "light example". Then Jesus continued with His "heavy teaching". A man is more valuble to God than a beast. So if God allows/likes an ox to be saved how much more joy would it give God that a human was saved. That's an interpretation scholars generally agree on. There is less agreement on the light/heavy teaching of "pluck out your eye" Imo it simply means "stop using that eye (light) for bad things until the sin becomes so great (heavy) God will cast you in Gehenna".

Other light heavy teachings are less clear. For example when a man looks with a lustful eye to woman he already commited adultary. It could be compared with pluck out your eye. If the eye is plucked out it obviously can't look lustfully and the sin doesn't evolve into literal adultary. That interpretation is in line with the classic light/heavy method of teaching.
So what was Jesus trying to explain. Looking lustfully (light) is a lesser sin that leads to real adultary (heavy)?
Or as many Christian scholars claim looking=adultary.
Same reasoning for if you hate your brother then you have already murdered him.
Was Jesus using a light/heavy teaching which was an extremly popular way of teaching is that day? (remember Jesus used that method with the ox). Hating leads to murder.
Or hate=murder as many Christian scholars claim?

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #145 on: June 11, 2012, 10:34:57 PM »
Idiom #14 - Hate your parents and follow me.

Hate = love less

(Luke 14:26 [CLV])
If anyone is coming to Me and is not hating his father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, and still more his soul besides, he can not be My disciple."

(Gen 29:30 [ACV])
And he also went in to Rachel, and also he loved Rachel more than Leah, and served with him yet seven other years.
(Gen 29:31 [ACV])
And LORD saw that Leah was regarded inferior, and he opened her womb, but Rachel was barren.

(Gen 29:30 [AKJV])
And he went in also to Rachel, and he loved also Rachel more than Leah, and served with him yet seven other years.
(Gen 29:31 [AKJV])
And when the LORD saw that Leah was hated, he opened her womb: but Rachel was barren.

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #146 on: June 11, 2012, 10:36:35 PM »
Idiom #15 - Be blessed

(Luke 13:34 [NET])
O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, you who kill the prophets and stone those who are sent to you! How often I have longed to gather your children together as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, but you would have none of it!
(Luke 13:35 [NET])
Look, your house is forsaken! And I tell you, you will not see me until you say, 'Blessed is the one who comes in the name of the Lord!'"

In the Jewish wedding, when the groom approaches the chuppah,
these words are said: "Blessed is he who comes". In the book, "Made
in Heaven" by Orthodox Rabbi Aryeh Kaplan, he explains that this is
actually an idiomatic expression which means "welcome".

So, when Jesus said you will not see me (again) until
you say, "Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord", this is
actually "wedding talk" and a Hebraic way of saying, "Welcome!".
Yeshua/Jesus said that He will not return back to the earth at his
second coming until He is welcomed as the bridegroom and His people
are crying out for Him to return and be married to His people !!!

Click for pictures of a chuppah.

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #147 on: June 11, 2012, 10:37:59 PM »
Idiom #16 - Horse and donkey

Horse and donkey. ====> Jesus rode a donkey and led a horse..............................................
This is one of those idioms/deeper meaning I wouldn't have guess in a million years.
It also seems to have a (mild) UR meaning..

"A horse is prepared for times of war" (Mishlei 21:31).
"The horse is not able to provide a person salvation (when Hashem is not with him)" (Tehilim 33:17).
Six things were said of a horse: It is promiscuous; it loves war; and it is a proud creature... (Pesachim 113b)

The fact that horses represent war and conquest answers a
number of riddles. In Genesis 32:15,16 Yakov sends a generous gift to his
brother, Esav, in order to appease his anger. Yakov's gift includes
all sorts of animals -- goats, sheep, camels, cows and donkeys. I was
once asked, why didn't Yakov send Esav any horses? The answer
obviously is that he did not want to send the angry Esav weapons for
war, nor did he wish to hand him a sign of conquest.

The prophet (Zecharyah 9:9) describes the Messiah as "a poor
man, riding upon a *donkey*." The Gemara (Sanhedrin 98a) describes how King
Shevor of Persia scoffed, "Why doesn't your Messiah come riding on a
horse? If he lacks one, I'll be glad to provide him with one of my
best!" Why, indeed, should the Messiah come on a donkey? Isn't a horse
a more appropriate sign of military victory?

The answer may be learned from the words of the Gemara earlier
on that same page (ibid.). A poor man on a donkey is a description of how
the Messiah will appear if the Jews are *not* found deserving of a
spectacular salvation.

Whether we deserve it or not, we will
eventually be redeemed; however, if we are not deserving the Messiah
will only arrive riding on a donkey. A horse is a sign of proud
conquest; this Messiah will provide but a humble Exodus. As the Gemara
says in Shabbat 152a, "One who rides a horse is a king; one who rides
a donkey is but a freeman."

Similarly, when the 72 Elders translated the Torah for King
Ptolemy (Megilah 9a), they changed the meaning of a number of words in order
that he should not misunderstand them and scoff at them. One of the
words they change involved the donkey that Moshe rode his family upon,
on his way to Egypt to free the Jews. Instead of "donkey," they used
the broad term "beast of transportation," lest King Ptolemy ask them,
"Did Moshe not have a horse to ride upon?" Moshe, too, rode upon a
donkey because the Jews were not being redeemed from Egypt on their
own merit, but rather out of Hashem's mercy. He was not the proud
conqueror.

IV
On a deeper level of meaning, in the above-mentioned Gemaras
the gentile kings were not able to grasp the concept that Hashem will
redeem the Jews even if they are not worthy of it. "How can that be?"
they thought, "If the Jews are not worthy of being redeemed, let
Hashem leave them as they are, under our domain. If they are worthy,
let him redeem them proudly, with flourish and fanfare!"

What these kings did not know was that the Jewish People are
Hashem's chosen nation. Out of His love for our virtuous ancestors,
who embedded their desirable traits deep in the hearts of their
descendants, Hashem promised to always come to our rescue and to
eventually redeem us from exile. Whether he comes on a horse or on a
donkey, the Messiah is on his way -- may he arrive speedily in our
days!

In Zechariah 9:9, Matthew 21:5, Messiah comes riding on a
DONKEY. As a corporate nation, the Jewish people missed their
Messiah. After riding into Jerusalem on a donkey, Messiah wept over
the city because of it's destruction and nation's rejection of their
Messiah (Luke 19:28-44).

In Revelation 19:11-16, Messiah comes riding on a WHITE HORSE as a
WARRIOR in VICTORY over his enemies. During this time, the nation of
Israel will receive their Messiah (Zechariah 12:9-10)

This is the Jewish backround and understanding of Yeshua's /
Jesus's Triumphant entry into Jerusalem.

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #148 on: June 11, 2012, 10:40:32 PM »
Idiom #17 - Under the fig tree.

John 1:48 "How do you know me?" Nathanael asked. Jesus answered, "I saw you while you were still under the fig tree before Philip called you."

It means Nathaneal will be part of His millenial reign.
A huge part of the millenium is Torah study under the fig tree.

Jesus made the fig tree die......????????????????????

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #149 on: June 11, 2012, 10:43:16 PM »
Idiom #18 - Nobody knows the hour

Because it's posted in this thread you can assume the literal English meaning is not correct.

(Matthew) 24:26, "No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in Heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father"

When Jesus said nobody knows the day He precisely told us the exact day through this idiom

The Jewish new year, Rosh Hosanna, started at a new after the fall equinox. Only the calendar court could legally announce when the year started. So nobody knew the exact day and time of the Calendar Courts announcement.
Jewish new year wasn't a main festival but it did start the count toward a major festival. On the 10th of the same month was the day of Atonement.
Using astronomy software I can calculate the new moon with a precision that's usually far more accurate than an hour.
But that's just theoretical because the moon has to be observed with the naked eye. And therein lays the uncertainty. My software doesn't "know" the moon can't be seen because of clouds, mist or rain. A month was never suspended more than one day because a solar month is always 29 or 30 days. So guesswork can come very close. Jews of course also knew the day fairly accurate but still it was an idiom.

What's not clear to me is what Jesus was referring to. Because New year is unknown the 10th day of that month is unknown too. Simply because nobody can start counting 10 days if the first day is unknown.
So was He referring to New Year? (He was born on New Years eve)
Or was He referring to the major feast of Atonement (He was Baptized on that day)
????

(Matt 8:11 [ACV])
And I say to you, that many will come from east and west, and will sit down with Abraham, and Isaac, and Jacob, in the kingdom of the heavens,

This verse is a reference to what the Jews call "The seven shepherds" Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Moses, Aaron, Joseph, King David.

During Sukkot/feast of Tabernacles the seven Shepherds were symbolically invited into each booth as guests of honor.
That day was known as day of the Lord, Messianic age, 1000 year kingdom.

"For the Son of Man came to seek and to save what was lost" (Luke 19:10)
My guess is He called Himself the 8th Shepherd.