Author Topic: The Man In The Box  (Read 2073 times)

Offline jabcat

• Admin
  • SINNER SAVED BY GRACE
The Man In The Box
« on: November 09, 2010, 03:44:14 AM »
I work in downtown St. Louis.  I see some heart-breaking things.

What thoughts do you have about the man lying on the side of the street, sleeping in cardboard box?

God bless, James.

Offline Beloved Servant

• Gold
  • David's sling
Re: The Man In The Box
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 04:02:58 AM »

Many times, I see Jesus in his eyes; and much more often than in the eyes of the people passing him by.

Offline eaglesway

• < Moderator >
  • Grace & Peace be multiplied unto you, in Jesus
    • Hell is a Myth.com
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 04:19:46 AM »
I see the brokenness that Jesus suffered to heal.
The Logos is complete, but it is not completely understood. hellisamyth.webs.com

Offline CHB

• Silver
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 05:08:22 AM »
Reminds me of the story of the good samaritan. Only thing missing is the good samaritan.

CHB

Offline shawn

• Bronze
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 05:18:53 AM »
I see me.

Offline eaglesway

• < Moderator >
    • Hell is a Myth.com
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 08:38:06 AM »
Reminds me of the story of the good samaritan. Only thing missing is the good samaritan.

CHB

yup
The Logos is complete, but it is not completely understood. hellisamyth.webs.com

Offline jabcat

• Admin
  • SINNER SAVED BY GRACE
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2010, 08:43:13 AM »
Interesting comments everyone.  Thanks.

We know God loves that man so much that He gave His only begotten Son for him.  What else do you think God thinks about him? 
Where do you think he fits in God's plans?
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 08:55:33 AM by jabcat »

Offline willieH

• Read Only
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2010, 09:32:31 AM »

We know God loves that man so much that He gave His only begotten Son for him.  What else do you think God thinks about him? 

This Scripture comes to mind:

Heb 13:2-3 --- be not forgetful to entertain strangers, for thereby SOME have entertained ANGELS unawares...  remember them that are IN BONDS, as BOUND WITH THEM, and them which SUFFER ADVERSITY, as BEING YOURSELVES also IN the BODY...

...willieH  :cloud9:

Offline Cardinal

• < Moderator >
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2010, 10:06:52 AM »
 :cloud9: I think I wish He would release major finances to us to build half-way houses, rehabs, shelters, ect. There should not be any homeless in this country or any other, period. That's what His body is in the earth, FOR. My  :2c:
"I would rather train twenty men to pray, than a thousand to preach; A minister's highest mission ought to be to teach his people to pray." -H. MacGregor

Offline Ross

• Est
  • Gal2;20
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2010, 03:08:04 PM »
Hi;
Interesting that there is enough food etc on the face of this earth for every one. We have the technolgy to supply the food,  shelter and clothes. We have car yards full of cars just sitting there. We have warehouses overflowing with stock. And yet many are homeless, hungry and do not have more clothes than the shirt on their back.
Man is basically manipulating for personal gain what should be given freely. This highlights the depravity of the flesh.
Without Christ there is NO HOPE.
Fellow brother in Christ

Offline Molly

• Gold
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2010, 03:17:56 PM »
I think of fearless leader on his 200 million a day vacation to his homeland, Indonesia.  Isn't that a muslim country? [88.2 percent muslim]

And, likewise, about Mrs. Let-them-eat-cake who is now managing to outdo her 350K jaunt on the Spanish Riviera while the Gulf was sinking under a sea of oil.

I agree--without Jesus there is NO HOPE.

Offline CHB

• Silver
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2010, 05:37:03 PM »

(Luke 6:20-21) Blessed be ye poor: for yours is the kingdom of God. Blessed are ye that hunger now: for ye shall be filled. Blessed are ye that weep now; for ye shall laugh.

(Prov. 22:2) The rich and poor meet together: the Lord Is the maker of them all.
(James 2:5) Hath not God chosen the poor of this world rich in faith, and heirs of the kingdom which he hath promised to them that love him.

(James 2:15-16) If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food. And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth it profit?

Isn't that what the world is doing when there are hundreds of people out there in this very situation.

CHB

Offline eaglesway

• < Moderator >
    • Hell is a Myth.com
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2010, 08:12:12 PM »
Hi;
Interesting that there is enough food etc on the face of this earth for every one. We have the technolgy to supply the food,  shelter and clothes. We have car yards full of cars just sitting there. We have warehouses overflowing with stock. And yet many are homeless, hungry and do not have more clothes than the shirt on their back.
Man is basically manipulating for personal gain what should be given freely. This highlights the depravity of the flesh.
Without Christ there is NO HOPE.

The biggest lie ever told is "there is not enough to go around"
The next is, "so you need us to decide who gets what"
The next is, "those who have more deserve more"
The next is, "anyone who works for justice and equitable distribution of economic access is a communist" :grin:

Certainly there is no hope without Jesus, but I will declare that hope and work while it still day - for the night is coming

Offline micah7:9

• Gold
  • Mic 7:8 Thou dost not rejoice over me, O mine ene
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2010, 08:30:29 PM »
Pehaps we, the saints/believers, have taken our eyes off of the Way, and totally commited ourselves as men, to do something?

Joh 12:8  For the poor ye have always with you; but me ye have not always.
Mic 7:8  Thou dost not rejoice over me, O mine enemy, When I have fallen, I have risen, When I sit in darkness Jehovah is a light to me.

Offline eaglesway

• < Moderator >
    • Hell is a Myth.com
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2010, 06:03:53 AM »
I think it is not so much that we take our eyes off of Jesus if we do something. I think we must be led by the Spirit in all we do, and steward our lives in the Word.

Isa 58:5-12  Is it such a fast that I have chosen? a day for a man to afflict his soul? is it to bow down his head as a bulrush, and to spread sackcloth and ashes under him? wilt thou call this a fast, and an acceptable day to the LORD?  (6)  Is not this the fast that I have chosen? to loose the bands of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, and to let the oppressed go free, and that ye break every yoke?  (7)  Is it not to deal thy bread to the hungry, and that thou bring the poor that are cast out to thy house? when thou seest the naked, that thou cover him; and that thou hide not thyself from thine own flesh?

Jas 2:16  And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth it profit?

As I see more deeply into Jesus, I begin to understand why they crucified Him- He spoke to the people and exposed their works.

Beware the leaven of the Pharisees!

Offline jabcat

• Admin
  • SINNER SAVED BY GRACE
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2010, 06:13:27 AM »
I faced a troublesome situation tonight.  I went out to get something to eat, and noticed a couple of, what appeared to be, homeless men across the street in the park.  Sometimes they approach and ask for something to eat, or money.  At times I've carried a little something with me food-wise to hand out, and without going into specifics, have responded in other ways to help.  There've been a few times I've said "I don't carry cash on me, just my card" - which is the truth.

Tonight, not necessarily in the best of moods (and being honest with you) I had the thought that if I was approached tonight I should just give them whatever food I would bought for myself.  Then I thought (I'm ashamed to say) "that's not going to happen".  Then I thought along the lines of, but what is the thing to do?  What if there were 20 people here who needed food?  Would I go into this restaurant and buy for everyone?  I could have done so.  Then the (carnal) mind says, what's the limit?  What are the responsibilities, the right things to do?

Scriptures;  keep lending out, expecting nothing in return;  you can't outgive God;  God loves a cheerful giver;  care for the widows and orphans.

Although I wasn't approached by anyone tonight, I was probably approached by Him in my heart;  and I'm afraid I failed tonight to be His hands and feet; or to even pass the test of being ready.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 06:18:11 AM by jabcat »

Offline jabcat

• Admin
  • SINNER SAVED BY GRACE
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2010, 06:20:23 AM »
...and then I give another look at your line above John, " I think we must be led by the Spirit in all we do, and steward our lives in the Word."

That has to go into the mix, knowing when He says go, doing when HE says do...otherwise, I can be doing the works of the flesh, right?

Offline Beloved Servant

• Gold
  • David's sling
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2010, 06:37:56 AM »

James,

I found that when I'm doing the works of the Lord that I really do not think one whit about what I am actually doing at the time, I just instinctively do it.

It is the river parable Jesus tells us about, that He flows through us doing His works of the Spirit.

While I may make the bricks, it is He that builds the chapel.

Offline jabcat

• Admin
  • SINNER SAVED BY GRACE
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2010, 07:10:27 AM »
 :thumbsup:

Offline eaglesway

• < Moderator >
    • Hell is a Myth.com
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2010, 08:35:52 AM »
James,
  I really believe that most of the time wisdom is the union of the Word and the Spirit speaking in my heart. The static on top is something I have to fight through sometimes too, but I never let myself be condemned, because the Holy Spirit is able to interrupt me if He wants to. I try to listen....Lord, am I giving alcohol money to a drunk or am I giving drug money to a junkie that would be better spent on my children or a friend in need? I go with my sense of wisdom and discernment, and trust the Lord that He will guide my efforts and forgive my errors. Where I live, I could give until I was the one in the box, and it wouldnt make a dent :o). Of course, if the Lord wants me in the box I will go there, but in the meantime I try to give whatever I can, whenever I can, within the stewardship of wisdom and freedom God has given me, John

Offline jabcat

• Admin
  • SINNER SAVED BY GRACE
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2010, 08:58:44 AM »
Yes, helpful word, thanks.

Offline Ross

• Est
  • Gal2;20
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2010, 09:37:10 AM »
Hi;
Also seems to be that you are looking with compassion as  Christ is opening your eyes to understand who we are and what life should be about.
To learn that we should love others more than we love ourself is a full time project. All easy to say, difficult, nay impossible to acheive without Christ. He will guide you.
Fellow brother in Christ

Offline Molly

• Gold
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2010, 10:14:22 AM »
I think it is not so much that we take our eyes off of Jesus if we do something. I think we must be led by the Spirit in all we do, and steward our lives in the Word.

Isa 58:5-12  Is it such a fast that I have chosen? a day for a man to afflict his soul? is it to bow down his head as a bulrush, and to spread sackcloth and ashes under him? wilt thou call this a fast, and an acceptable day to the LORD?  (6)  Is not this the fast that I have chosen? to loose the bands of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, and to let the oppressed go free, and that ye break every yoke? (7)  Is it not to deal thy bread to the hungry, and that thou bring the poor that are cast out to thy house? when thou seest the naked, that thou cover him; and that thou hide not thyself from thine own flesh?

Jas 2:16  And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth it profit?

As I see more deeply into Jesus, I begin to understand why they crucified Him- He spoke to the people and exposed their works.

Beware the leaven of the Pharisees!

Yes!  Exactly.   :thumbsup:

Offline Molly

• Gold
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2010, 10:24:41 AM »
Quote from: Jab
Although I wasn't approached by anyone tonight, I was probably approached by Him in my heart;  and I'm afraid I failed tonight to be His hands and feet; or to even pass the test of being ready.

I know that feeling lol.  So, now you are ready.  Next time, you will be ready.

Offline shawn

• Bronze
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2010, 07:00:57 PM »
I faced a troublesome situation tonight.  I went out to get something to eat, and noticed a couple of, what appeared to be, homeless men across the street in the park.  Sometimes they approach and ask for something to eat, or money.  At times I've carried a little something with me food-wise to hand out, and without going into specifics, have responded in other ways to help.  There've been a few times I've said "I don't carry cash on me, just my card" - which is the truth.

Tonight, not necessarily in the best of moods (and being honest with you) I had the thought that if I was approached tonight I should just give them whatever food I would bought for myself.  Then I thought (I'm ashamed to say) "that's not going to happen".  Then I thought along the lines of, but what is the thing to do?  What if there were 20 people here who needed food?  Would I go into this restaurant and buy for everyone?  I could have done so.  Then the (carnal) mind says, what's the limit?  What are the responsibilities, the right things to do?

Scriptures;  keep lending out, expecting nothing in return;  you can't outgive God;  God loves a cheerful giver;  care for the widows and orphans.

I must say I love your transparency.  We need more believers willing to discuss times of short coming.  Why, because it is beneficial to other believers...even non believers.  I too have been struggling with this issue.  There is a situation where I believe there is a need for at least spiritual comfort and I believe financial as well.  The Lord put this family on my heart and I shuffled it to the back burner.  The carnal nature got the best of me in a similar situation where I start overthinking things.  Today, he brought them back to my mind then put a !!! behind it through worship this morning.  While I failed initially God has given me another chance to be obedient in this area.  Now, if I can only start listening the first time.