Author Topic: Saved  (Read 6132 times)

Offline micah7:9

• Gold
  • Mic 7:8 Thou dost not rejoice over me, O mine ene
Saved
« on: August 18, 2011, 06:22:59 AM »
How long does it take to get saved?
Is someone saved by speaking a formulated prayer?   
The impression given and taught by at least the fundumentalists, is exactly that.
So I ask, are all those people seen at those large cathedrals and seen on TV, are they all saved?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 06:40:59 AM by micah7:9 »
Mic 7:8  Thou dost not rejoice over me, O mine enemy, When I have fallen, I have risen, When I sit in darkness Jehovah is a light to me.

Offline jabcat

• Admin
  • SINNER SAVED BY GRACE
Re: Saved
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 07:09:29 AM »
We can only be saved if the Holy Spirit draws us, and God gives us faith to respond in belief.

The jailer asked, "sirs, what must I do to be saved?"  Paul said "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved..."  Acts 16:30,31

Other places say "whosoever calls on the name of the Lord will be saved", "believe in your heart and confess with your mouth Jesus is Lord and that God raised Him from the dead, and you will be saved".

Technically, the process of being drawn, being given faith to believe, and believing/calling on Jesus for salvation (being spiritually reborn from above) could take a few seconds.  It seems Saul's conversion was so.  On the other hand, for instance, I was probably drawn and convicted numerous times and resisted over a period of months before the Lord "won".  :)  But that "moment" of salvation was seconds or minutes.

No formulated prayer required, unless that's all the person knows to do.  However God allows us to have the faith to believe, then that's the "right way" - crying in desperation, silently believing and trusting, or praying a "formulated prayer", if that's the best one knows to do.

Is everyone seen in cathedrals/on T.V. saved?  I doubt it, but that's not for me to judge.  That's between them and God.  I believe many have a head knowledge or sort of go along for the ride, or pretend, etc., but have never really believed/trusted Him as Savior/turned to Him for salvation - "head vs. heart".  According to our Lord's words though, many will claim great accomplishments in His name, and He will say He never knew them.   
Neither should there be vulgar speech, foolish talk, or coarse jesting--all of which are out of character--but rather thanksgiving.  Eph. 5:4  **  Saved 1John 3.2, Eph. 2:8, John 1:12 - Being saved 2Cor. 4:16 2Peter 3:18 - Will be saved 1Peter 1:5 Romans 8:23

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 10:25:53 AM »
Nope.
You must confess with your  :HeartThrob:
That's much more than a prayer that could be a lie from A-Z

The impression given and taught by at least the fundumentalists, is exactly that.
So I ask, are all those people seen at those large cathedrals and seen on TV, are they all saved?
Saved from what? Death? Hell? LoF? ....?
Jesus already payed to the last cent. So that part was covered even before you were born.
1 Timothy 2:3-4  ...God our Savior;  Who will have all men to be saved...
John 12:47  And if any man hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world.
Romans 4:5 But to the one who does not work, but believes in the one who declares the ungodly righteous ...

• Gold
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 07:17:27 PM »
Okay, I guess my question falls into the thought of "once saved always saved."  When a person gets "saved" just what is that?
Example: I went to a revival last night and at least 50 souls got saved.   
Now just what does that mean?
How did they get "saved" at that revival?
Or is getting "saved" at that revival,  just a foot in the door to getting "saved?" How does one get saved at all?
Mic 7:8  Thou dost not rejoice over me, O mine enemy, When I have fallen, I have risen, When I sit in darkness Jehovah is a light to me.

Offline jabcat

• Admin
  • SINNER SAVED BY GRACE
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 08:27:19 PM »
Many believe a person, once truly saved, can "do the wrong things", or "fail to do the right things", and lose their salvation.

I don't believe so.  Salvation is by grace, not works, and the "gifts and calling of God are irrevocable" Rom. 11:29.

I believe being saved is that personal time of visitation by the Holy Spirit ("conviction" of sin and awareness of the need for a Savior), then just as the scriptures lay it out, the person responds in faith, belief, trust in Jesus the Savior.  I believe even the faith to respond is given by God, because "in ourselves we can do nothing".

What does saved mean?  We enter into a personal relationship with God through His Son, Jesus.  The Holy Spirit begins to regenerate us from the inside out ("behold, old things are passing away, all things are becoming new").  We are spiritually reborn.  Our nature, though not perfect (that's ongoing, sanctification, overcoming) is turned toward God, where our desires become to please our Father, and His Spirit works in us to move us in that direction.   Jesus said "marvel not when I say you must be born again".   We are no longer "dead in our trespasses and sins".  The process of living IN the Father has begun. 

Ephesians 2:1

And you did he make alive, when ye were dead through your trespasses and sins,

2 wherein ye once walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the powers of the air, of the spirit that now worketh in the sons of disobedience;

3 among whom we also all once lived in the lust of our flesh, doing the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, even as the rest:--

4 but God, being rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us,

5 even when we were dead through our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace have ye been saved)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 08:30:58 PM by jabcat »
Neither should there be vulgar speech, foolish talk, or coarse jesting--all of which are out of character--but rather thanksgiving.  Eph. 5:4  **  Saved 1John 3.2, Eph. 2:8, John 1:12 - Being saved 2Cor. 4:16 2Peter 3:18 - Will be saved 1Peter 1:5 Romans 8:23

• Gold
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 08:45:31 PM »
Jab, I believe you hit the nail on the head with Eph.2:5  5 even when we were dead through our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace have ye been saved)

And Paul confirms in verse 8 how man gets "saved."
Eph 2:8  For it is by grace that you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves. It is God's gift, and is not on the ground of merit--
WNT

It is by "grace" more it is God's grace.

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 09:45:42 PM »
What does saved mean?  We enter into a personal relationship with God through His Son, Jesus.
WHAT are we saved from?
1 Timothy 2:3-4  ...God our Savior;  Who will have all men to be saved...
John 12:47  And if any man hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world.
Romans 4:5 But to the one who does not work, but believes in the one who declares the ungodly righteous ...

Offline Molly

• Gold
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2011, 10:09:50 PM »
What does saved mean?  We enter into a personal relationship with God through His Son, Jesus.
WHAT are we saved from?
From the paw of the lion and the paw of the bear.  From death and destruction.  He just saved me again.  Thanks for your prayer, Jab.

6Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.
[Psa 23]

• Gold
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2011, 10:11:08 PM »
Eph 2:8  For it is by grace that you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves. It is God's gift, and is not on the ground of merit--
WNT
Grace H2580 chên graciousness, Gen 6:8  And Noah found grace in the eyes of Jehovah.
It was by God's Grace that Noah was able to build the ark.
Grace G5485 charis  graciousness (as gratifying), of manner or act (abstract or concrete; literal, figurative or spiritual; especially the divine influence upon the heart, and its reflection in the life;
Grace    a : unmerited divine assistance given humans for their regeneration or sanctification
b : a virtue coming from God
VIRTUE a : conformity to a standard of right : morality
VIRTUE G1411 dunamis  force (literally or figuratively); specifically miraculous power (usually by implication a miracle itself): - ability, abundance, meaning, might (-ily, -y, -y deed), (worker of) miracle (-s), power, strength, violence, mighty (wonderful) work. From G1410 dunamai  to be able or possible: - be able, can (do, + -not), could, may, might, be possible, be of power.

Act 1:8  but ye shall receive power..same as virtue...dunamis. Im told we get our word dynamite from dunamis. It is by God's Grace His Virtue His Power that we are able to work be saved.
Php 2:12  So that, my beloved, as ye always obey, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, with fear and trembling your own salvation work out,
Php 2:13 for God it is who is working in you both to will and to work for His good pleasure.

Saved by Grace SAVED G4982  sōzō  a primary word;  to save, that is, deliver or protect (literally or figuratively): - heal, preserve, save (self), do well, be (make) whole. Grace is the engine(the gift of God) that starts us thinking and reasoning  good thoughts and things in this life, it is God working in man to be delivered, healed, made whole, saved... Grace is God's viture(force) working in man. Grace in turn causes the engine of repentance going and you start to "think differntly."  We are a work in prorgess.
Joh 5:30  I, cannot be doing, of myself, a single thing,—Just as I hear, I judge; and, my judging, is, just,—because I seek not my own will, but the will of him that sent me.
I can now humbly confess I truly understand this verse by Paul.
2Co 12:9  And at once he said unto me—Sufficient for thee, is my favour, for, my power, in weakness, is made complete. Most gladly, therefore, will I rather boast in my weaknesses, that the power of Christ may spread a tent over me.

Offline Molly

• Gold
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2011, 10:19:34 PM »
When the time is right, He comes for us.

And, when he comes for you, you will not miss it.

Offline Molly

• Gold
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2011, 10:40:32 PM »
Quote from: Micah
Grace in turn causes the engine of repentance going and you start to "think differntly."  We are a work in prorgess.
:thumbsup:

Offline Nathan

• Gold
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2011, 02:19:18 AM »

Depends on the thickness of the head.

For me, it takes as long as it takes my head to realize what already happened. 

• Gold
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2011, 03:01:45 AM »

Depends on the thickness of the head.

For me, it takes as long as it takes my head to realize what already happened.

Has nothing to do with your head or may head or any ones head.

Offline jabcat

• Admin
  • SINNER SAVED BY GRACE
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2011, 06:18:21 AM »
  We are no longer "dead in our trespasses and sins".  The process of living IN the Father has begun. 

Welcome for prayers, Molly.  :)

Amen micah, it's HIS grace.

Once the above process has begun, then I believe we're treated as sons.  Nothing we can do will either earn or disqualify us regarding our salvation, i.e., being His son.  Hebrews 12:2 says He both BEGINS and COMPLETES our salvation.

Even disobedient sons are still His sons.  It is then dealt with as a family matter. It's the process of our hearts continually being turned toward our Father.

"And have you forgotten the exhortation that addresses you as sons? "My son, do not regard lightly the discipline of the Lord, nor be weary when reproved by him....For the Lord..chastises every son whom he receives."  Heb. 12:5,6

Blessings.

• Gold
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2011, 06:23:37 AM »
  We are no longer "dead in our trespasses and sins".  The process of living IN the Father has begun. 

Welcome for prayers, Molly.  :)

Amen micah, it's HIS grace.

Once the above process has begun, then I believe we're treated as sons.  Nothing we can do will either earn or disqualify us regarding our salvation, i.e., being His son.  Hebrews 12:2 says He both BEGINS and COMPLETES our salvation.

Even disobedient sons are still His sons.  It is then dealt with as a family matter. It's the process of our hearts continually being turned toward our Father.

"And have you forgotten the exhortation that addresses you as sons? "My son, do not regard lightly the discipline of the Lord, nor be weary when reproved by him....For the Lord..chastises every son whom he receives."  Heb. 12:5,6

Blessings.

AMEN my friend AMEN!   Hebrews 12:2 says He both BEGINS and COMPLETES our salvation. :bigGrin: :HeartThrob: :HeartThrob: :thumbsup:

Offline Nathan

• Gold
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2011, 05:56:16 PM »
That was my point Micah . . . when I say it depends on the thickness of my head, that means it depends on how long it takes me to REALIZE what's ALREADY DONE.

• Gold
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2011, 04:13:47 AM »
Okay, staying with the post topic, How long does it take to get saved, and I don't mean head saved or however.

For instance this guy has been going to church and he believes, should he walk out the door of his Sunday morning church
and die right there on the threshold, what would happen to him... was he saved? where did he go? Heaven?

I would offer that he was not saved.

Offline Beloved Servant

• Gold
  • David's sling
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2011, 04:32:31 AM »

If he were not saved, where did he go?

• Gold
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2011, 04:36:38 AM »
Aint that jest like in to mine question? :winkgrin:

Offline Beloved Servant

• Gold
  • David's sling
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2011, 04:41:06 AM »

• Gold
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2011, 04:54:30 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ec6xT9ixGE&feature=related

Ill watch this but let it be known I am not a youtube fan in the least!

Well I tryed but for some reason my streaming well it takes 10 min to watch a 1min:20 sec clip.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 05:00:34 AM by micah7:9 »

Offline Beloved Servant

• Gold
  • David's sling
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2011, 04:57:30 AM »

Me either, Micah.
Very little gets past my sword, it turns every which way.

• Gold
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2011, 05:03:44 AM »
"Beloved Servant
Gold
"If he were not saved, where did he go?"

Where does everyone go when they die?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 11:18:03 PM by micah7:9 »

Offline Beloved Servant

• Gold
  • David's sling
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2011, 05:17:24 AM »

The man who walks in the dark does not know where he is going.

• Gold
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2011, 05:24:23 AM »
Unless the man in the dark has been there before.