Author Topic: Quotable Quotes  (Read 8558 times)

goodreport

Re: Quotable Quotes
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2012, 03:03:11 AM »
"It is the consciousness of the threefold joy of the Lord, His joy in ransoming us, His joy in dwelling within us as our Savior and Power for fruitbearing and His joy in possessing us, as His bride and His delight; it is the consciousness of this joy which is our real strength.  Our joy in Him may be a fluctuating thing; His joy in us knows no change."   Hudson Taylor

goodreport

« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2012, 10:18:50 PM »
from Daily Overcoming Ray Prinzing

Isa 26:20
Come, My people, enter into thy chambers, and shut thy doors about thee: hide thyself as it were for a little moment, until the indignation be overpast.

To enter into our chambers, therefore, is to learn to live in this inner realm with Christ.  Applied to our spiritual walk, the obvious is the exterior, manifested in the flesh realm, the outer circle, the fringes, and we pass through the laws of do and don't, with our walk and actions dealt with from the surface, exterior viewpoints.  Then we progress to the soul-realm, the mind, with its intellectual reasoning's which need to be brought into subjection to the truth.  The will and emotions which dominate our thinking must be renewed into the mind of Christ.  But there is also this third dimension, this inner chamber, the inward parts of our being, where our spirit dwells.  "He that is joined to the Lord is one spirit."  And here is the source of our life, here the inner springs are to flow, here the kingdom is to be formed and brought forth, till it reaches out and reigns over all.

===========
Oswald Chambers:  My Utmost for His highest

1 Thess 5:23
Now may the God of peace Himself sanctify you completely.  And may your spirit, soul, and body be kept sound and blameless for the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

"Your whole spirit..."  The great, mysterious work of the Holy Spirit is in the deep recesses of our being which we cannot reach.  Read Psalm 139.  The psalmist implies --"O Lord, You are the God of the early mornings, the God of the late nights, the God of the mountain peaks, and the God of the sea.  But, my God, my soul has horizons further away than those of early mornings, deeper darkness than the nights of earth, higher peaks than any mountain peaks, greater depths than any sea in nature.  You who are the God of all these, be my God.  I cannot reach to the heights or to the depths; there are motives I cannot discover, dreams I cannot realize.  My God, search me."

goodreport

« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2012, 01:59:36 AM »
Augustine of Hippo from "Confessions"

"Great are You, O Lord, and exceedingly worthy of praise, Your power is immense and Your wisdom beyond reckoning.  And so we men, who are a due part of Your creation, long to praise You -- we also carry our mortality about with us, carry the evidence of our sin and with it the proof that You thwart the proud.  You arouse us so that praising You may bring us joy, because You have made us and drawn us to Yourself, and our heart is unquiet until it rests in you."

goodreport

« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2012, 12:25:56 AM »
reFORMer from Tentmaker Forum Prophecy thread 11/18/12

"The new song (of the 144,000) cannot be learned by others in part because, Overcoming death and entering into immortality is not learned.  It is similar to being born again in this regard.  It is something God must perform.  This is the third in a row of songs that concern a big change in the people of God wrought by Overcomers' ministries.  The same changes are in view, only in an ultimate intensification this third time.  We are to be brought closer to God by the transformation of our physical bodies into incorruptible bodies of glory.  Our identity as being born of God will be revealed when the physical is born of resurrection.  All creation will be set free."

goodreport

« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2012, 03:29:31 AM »
"Nothing is more painful than a broken heart.  ... When trouble gets into a person's heart, all troubles are magnified, blessings are unseen, and it is well nigh impossible to bear the daily experience of life.  Getting out of bed is misery.  Living is torment.  Nobody understands a broken heart but one whose heart has been broken. ...

Yet, in a spiritual sense, I can think of nothing more promising, nothing more hopeful, nothing more blessed than a broken heart.  You may think that sounds strange.  But a heart broken before God is a heart touched by the finger of His grace for whom the sweet balm of salvation is prepared."

...He hath sent me to bind up the brokenhearted!"  What a marvellous word of grace from our Savior.

(freegrace.net)

goodreport

« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2012, 01:13:42 AM »
Oswald Chambers from My Utmost for His Highest

"The New Testament example of the Christian experience is that of a personal, passionate devotion to the Person of Jesus Christ.  Every other kind of so-called Christian experience is detached from the Person of Jesus.  There is no regeneration--no being born again into the kingdom in which Christ lives and reigns supreme.  There is only the idea that He is our pattern.  In the New Testament Jesus Christ is the Savior long before He is our pattern.  Today He is being portrayed as the figurehead of a religion -- a mere example.  He is that, but He is infinitely more.  He is salvation itself; He is the gospel of God!

Jesus said, "...when He, the Spirit of truth has come...He will guide you into all truth... He will glorify Me.  (John 16:13-14).  When I commit myself to the revealed truth of the New Testament, I receive from God the gift of the Holy Spirit, who then begins interpreting to me what Jesus did.  The Spirit of God does in me internally all that Jesus Christ did for me externally."

Offline Lazarus Short

• Bronze
  • The truth points to itself. -Kosh Naranek
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2012, 02:00:25 AM »
From Richard Kelly Hoskins:

"History does not change because the human heart does not change."

Laz sez:

That's about to change...
Socrates taught Plato.  Plato taught Aristotle.  Aristotle tutored the son of Philip of Macedon.  This boy grew up to become Alexander the Great, largely by slaughtering a lot of people.  That's philosophy.

Jesus spoke the Truth.  He blessed the poor.  He healed the sick.  He even raised the dead.  He died on a cross for us, lived again, and came back long enough to tell us to love one another.  That's religion.

goodreport

« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2012, 02:14:56 AM »
Mother Teresa
To fear is to expect punishment
To love is to know we are immersed not in darkness, but in light.

C.H. Spurgeon

"Cleanseth," says the text, not "shall cleanse."  There are multitudes who think that as a dying hope they may look forward to pardon.  Oh! how infinitely better to have cleansing now than to depend on the possibility of forgiveness when I come to die.  Some imagine that a sense of pardon is an attainment only obtainable after many years of Christian experience.  But forgiveness of sin is a present thing, a privilege for this day, a joy for this very hour.  ...  The text, being written in the present tense, also indicates continuance; it was cleanseth yesterday, it is cleanseth today, it will be cleanseth tomorrow: it will be always so with you, Christian, until you cross the river; every hour you may come to this fountain, for it cleanseth still.  Notice, likewise, the completeness of the cleansing.  "The blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanseth us from ALL sin.  Reader, I cannot tell you the exceeding sweetness of this word. ... Blessed completeness!"

Offline Lazarus Short

• Bronze
  • The truth points to itself. -Kosh Naranek
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2012, 03:07:19 AM »
Laz sez:

"Chaos" is the name we give to our failure to perceive the principles behind the events around us.
Socrates taught Plato.  Plato taught Aristotle.  Aristotle tutored the son of Philip of Macedon.  This boy grew up to become Alexander the Great, largely by slaughtering a lot of people.  That's philosophy.

Jesus spoke the Truth.  He blessed the poor.  He healed the sick.  He even raised the dead.  He died on a cross for us, lived again, and came back long enough to tell us to love one another.  That's religion.

Offline ded2daworld

• Silver
  • What if today we were just grateful for everything
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2012, 03:34:37 PM »
Ded says,
A woman that has men open and/or hold doors for her is not showing weakness or subservience, but power.
"Why do so many people think that the Bible is only inspired at certain points -  and that  THEY are inspired to pick out which points?"

Offline lomarah

• Silver
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2012, 05:15:11 PM »
From Richard Kelly Hoskins:

"History does not change because the human heart does not change."

Laz sez:

That's about to change...

Ahahahaha touché!!!
Ded says,
A woman that has men open and/or hold doors for her is not showing weakness or subservience, but power.

Aha! So you've figured us out.  :laughing7:
From Him and through Him and to Him are all things.

Offline jabcat

• Admin
  • SINNER SAVED BY GRACE
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2012, 03:33:07 AM »
bump OP.

St. Ephrem, the Syrian 

Be gentle with every person you meet--they are fighting a great battle.

====

Oswald Chambers from his book "Disciples Indeed"

The main characteristic which is the proof of the indwelling Spirit is an amazing tenderness in personal dealings and a blazing truthfulness with regard to God's Word.

"It may take you a while to shed your current belief that God is vindictive, but at least open up your heart to the idea that God's punishment is for the purpose of correction and will end with the result of restoration and reconciliation for all! Jeremiah 10:24 states… O LORD, correct me, but with judgment; not in thine anger, lest thou bring me to nothing." - Thomas J. Kissinger
Neither should there be vulgar speech, foolish talk, or coarse jesting--all of which are out of character--but rather thanksgiving.  Eph. 5:4  **  Saved 1John 3.2, Eph. 2:8, John 1:12 - Being saved 2Cor. 4:16 2Peter 3:18 - Will be saved 1Peter 1:5 Romans 8:23

Watch/Pray

« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2013, 03:16:08 AM »
I took some time to review topics that I started as goodreport and decided to bring back a few Quotable Quotes for you all to enjoy as well.

from Tentmaker Forum, Eaglesway  10/24/12

"The message of the gospel is, 'God has saved the world, believe it.' "

"I rejoice that God has called me to participate in the salvation of all, to offer hope to the downtrodden, to warn the wicked in love and humility, knowing that they are all appointed to salvation in HIS time."

[/quote]
Mother Teresa

C.H. Spurgeon

"Cleanseth," says the text, not "shall cleanse."  There are multitudes who think that as a dying hope they may look forward to pardon.  Oh! how infinitely better to have cleansing now than to depend on the possibility of forgiveness when I come to die.  Some imagine that a sense of pardon is an attainment only obtainable after many years of Christian experience.  But forgiveness of sin is a present thing, a privilege for this day, a joy for this very hour.  ...  The text, being written in the present tense, also indicates continuance; it was cleanseth yesterday, it is cleanseth today, it will be cleanseth tomorrow: it will be always so with you, Christian, until you cross the river; every hour you may come to this fountain, for it cleanseth still.  Notice, likewise, the completeness of the cleansing.  "The blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanseth us from ALL sin.  Reader, I cannot tell you the exceeding sweetness of this word. ... Blessed completeness!"
Augustine of Hippo from "Confessions"

"Great are You, O Lord, and exceedingly worthy of praise, Your power is immense and Your wisdom beyond reckoning.  And so we men, who are a due part of Your creation, long to praise You -- we also carry our mortality about with us, carry the evidence of our sin and with it the proof that You thwart the proud.  You arouse us so that praising You may bring us joy, because You have made us and drawn us to Yourself, and our heart is unquiet until it rests in you."
"It is the consciousness of the threefold joy of the Lord, His joy in ransoming us, His joy in dwelling within us as our Savior and Power for fruitbearing and His joy in possessing us, as His bride and His delight; it is the consciousness of this joy which is our real strength.  Our joy in Him may be a fluctuating thing; His joy in us knows no change."   Hudson Taylor

from Jabcat Tentmaker Forum 11/4/12

...although a true believer will follow in Jesus' footsteps, that's not what the scriptures say makes one spiritually reborn, which Jesus said must occur before one can enter the kingdom.  I believe the scriptures teach that it is not by the Law, or not by works, not by effort to do good deeds, including what we may imagine as "following Jesus' footsteps".  Following Him is an act of obedience as the indwelling Holy Spirit empowers us to do so, after we're spiritually reborn and infilled.  Salvation is through the gift of grace through faith in Yeshua and His finished work on the cross.  That happens when the Holy Spirit convicts us of our need for the Savior and gives us faith and strength to believe on His Name as our Savior."

reFORMer from Tentmaker Forum Prophecy thread 11/18/12

"The new song (of the 144,000) cannot be learned by others in part because, Overcoming death and entering into immortality is not learned.  It is similar to being born again in this regard.  It is something God must perform.  This is the third in a row of songs that concern a big change in the people of God wrought by Overcomers' ministries.  The same changes are in view, only in an ultimate intensification this third time.  We are to be brought closer to God by the transformation of our physical bodies into incorruptible bodies of glory.  Our identity as being born of God will be revealed when the physical is born of resurrection.  All creation will be set free."

anna274

« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2013, 01:07:41 AM »
from  Daily Overcoming Ray Prinzing for April 14

God is preparing that which shall become "bread for the hungry".  Jesus is the LIVING BREAD which came down from heaven", (John 6:51), was broken for the whole world.  And now, that which is becoming HIS BODY, becoming in Him "one bread", (1 Cor 10:16), is also being bruised, broken, as a living sacrifice which shall become the ministration of His life for ALL of His creation.

Would you be poured out as wine upon the altar to Me?
  Would you be broken as bread to feed the hungry?
Would you be so one in Me that I may do just as I will
   To make you life, and light, and love, My Word fulfill?

You who have been puzzled by these pressures and processes which have engulfed you, be encouraged that "it pleased Him... it was the will of the Lord," to bruise us in this hour, until broken and contrite we might become bread for the nations.  "He took the five loaves...He blessed, and brake, and gave the loaves...to the Multitude."  Matt 14:19).

Ignatius once said, "God has made me bread for His elect, and if it be needful that the bread must be ground in the teeth of the lion to feed His children, blessed be the name of the Lord."

Everything must give way to a mellowness, a brokenness in us.  Thus His life shall be manifested to a creation waiting to be fed.

==========
by coincidence????  Oswald Chambers' Daily Devotional for April 14

"...the joy of the Lord is your strength" (Neh 8:10).  Where do the saints get their joy?  If we did not know some Christians well, we might think from just observing them that they have no burdens at all to bear.  But we must lift the veil from our eyes.  The fact that the peace, light, and joy of God is in them is proof that a burden is there as well.  The burden that God places on us squeezes the grapes in our lives and produces the wine, but most of us see only the wine and not the burden.  No power on earth can conquer the Spirit of God living within the human spirit; it creates an inner invincibility.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Jer. 15:16
Thy word was found, and I did eat, and Thy word was unto me the joy and rejoicing of my heart for I am called by thy name, O LORD God of hosts.

Jamieson-Fausset-Brown
eat:  as soon as Thy words were found by me, I eagerly laid hold of and appropriated them.

Thy word ... joy  Ps 119:111 Thy testimonies have I taken as an heritage for ever: for they are the rejoicing of my heart.

called by thy name:  I am Thine, Thy minister

Hab 3:18-19
v 18   Yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will joy in the God of my salvation.
v 19   The Lord God is my strength, and He will make my feet like hinds' feet, and He will make me to walk upon my high places.

Heb 12:2
Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the JOY that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God. 

Heb 7:25
Wherefore He is able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by Him, seeing He ever liveth to make intercession for them.

anna274

« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2013, 03:54:35 PM »
from Oswald Chambers

The place for the consoler is not that of one who preaches, but of a friend who says nothing, but prays to God about the matter.  The biggest thing you can do for those who are suffering, who are lost, is not to talk platitudes, not to ask questions, but to get into contact with God and "the greater works" will be done by prayer.

John 14:12-14 (AMP)
v 12  I assure you, most solemnly I tell you, if anyone steadfastly believes in Me, he will himself be able to do the things that I do; and he will do even greater things than these, because I go to the Father.

v 13   And I will do [I Myself will grant] whatever you ask in My name [as presenting all that I Am], so that the Father may be glorified and extolled in (through) the Son.

v 14   [Yes] I will grant [I Myself will do for you] whatever you shall ask in My Name [as presenting all that I Am]

anna274

« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2013, 05:36:36 PM »
 from rosered   Tentmaker Forum April 20 1 Sam 16:7 ...God looketh on the heart

"...before the sweet release of every hard thing is built so tightly held up and the tears flow like clean spring rain within as the Lord forgives us as we forgive the others of such hard words spoken in anger and stress, this has been mine own experience, the Lord is good always and Love returning within your own heart feels pliable again so you can breath in peace once again.

Ps 34:18 The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite heart."

==========
Thanks so much rosered... your post of April 20 has again blessed me...filled me with such comfort and peace and joy in my heart.  anna
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 05:59:46 PM by anna274 »

Offline eaglesway

• < Moderator >
  • Grace & Peace be multiplied unto you, in Jesus
    • Hell is a Myth.com
« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2013, 09:42:43 PM »
from rosered   Tentmaker Forum April 20 1 Sam 16:7 ...God looketh on the heart

"...before the sweet release of every hard thing is built so tightly held up and the tears flow like clean spring rain within as the Lord forgives us as we forgive the others of such hard words spoken in anger and stress, this has been mine own experience, the Lord is good always and Love returning within your own heart feels pliable again so you can breath in peace once again.

Ps 34:18 The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite heart."

==========
Thanks so much rosered... your post of April 20 has again blessed me...filled me with such comfort and peace and joy in my heart.  anna

The graciousness of our Lord :o)
The Logos is complete, but it is not completely understood. hellisamyth.webs.com

anna274

« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2013, 02:23:51 AM »
from Daily Overcoming Devotional by Ray Prinzing for April 29

IN THE MIDST OF THE YEARS

Hab. 3:2
O Lord, I have heard Thy speech, and was afraid:  O Lord, revive Thy work in the midst of the years, in the midst of the years make known, in wrath remember mercy.

The vision is sure, it may tarry awhile, but it will not lie, it shall be completely fulfilled.  It is not a question of "if" it shall come, but "when", for we know not the times or the seasons, which the Father hath put in His own power", (Acts l:7).  With all the destruction and grief, which Habakkuk saw was coming, there was also that positive victory, "For the earth shall be filled with the knowledge of the glory of the Lord, as the waters cover the sea, " Hab 2:14.  God's power will be manifested, His majexty revealed and the fullness of redemption wrought for all creation.  The end is secure, let hell rage, and the people imagine a vain thing, "if we believe not, yet He abideth faithful:  He cannot deny Himself." 2 Tim 2:13.  The end is secure.

But it was the time in between the now and the ultimate victory, when the judgments, corrections and distresses would ensue, that caused the prophet to pray, "O Lord, revive Thy work in the midst of the years".  This word "revive" is from the Hebrew word that literally means: to keep or make alive, to preserve alive.  Obviously, when the pressures become so intense, it is only the sovereign hand of God, which can preserve us alive in the midst of the processings.  One of the amazing parts of His handiwork will be the way He preserves His "called out ones" in the midst of the judgment and severity of correction that lies before us.  "Though I walk in the midst of trouble, Thou wilt revive me:  Thou shalt stretch forth Thine hand against the wrath of mine enemies, and Thy right hand shall save me, "  Psalm 138:7

Not only did the prophet desire to be preserved alive in the midst of the years, but he also fervently prayed, "in the midst of the years make known".

GOD HAS A MESSAGE FOR TODAY, RELATED TO HIS HOUR, AND WE WOULD BE OPEN TO RECEIVE IT, AND MOVE IN HARMONY WITH HIS PURPOSE.

HE WILL CAUSE HIS PEOPLE TO KNOW WHAT TO DO, WHEN TO DO IT, FOR EACH ON-GOING STEP.

anna274

« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2013, 04:33:53 PM »
from Tentmaker Forum, February 10,2010  The vine of Christ   eaglesway

"There are so many paradoxes in the scripture.  ....

...Always brought back to the pearl of great price, where my trinkets are seen in their true meagerness within the light of His ever increasing glory.  Christ Himself in whom are hid all the treasures of the wisdom and knowledge.  It seems to me that, "As in Adam all men die", means that all men who are still in Adam are in one vine, an old vine that is dying away.  It seems to me that "so also in Christ shall all men be made alive" means that there is a NEW VINE,  and NEW WINE,  (emphasis mine)  "Behold I make all things new".  It is a tree of life.  It is filling all things. ...

Offline dajomaco

« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2013, 06:09:20 PM »
Mother Teresa

There is no fear in love; instead, perfect love drives out fear,
because fear involves punishment. So the one who fears has not reached perfection in love.

1John 4 18

Offline eaglesway

• < Moderator >
  • Grace & Peace be multiplied unto you, in Jesus
    • Hell is a Myth.com
« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2013, 04:31:58 PM »
The purpose of a paradox

God will hide the resolution of a paradox(mystery) behind two seemingly contradictory truths. The only way through is to "come up higher".
The Logos is complete, but it is not completely understood. hellisamyth.webs.com

anna274

« Reply #46 on: June 17, 2013, 04:17:02 PM »
from Ray Prinzing  preface to Daily Overcoming Devotional

Quicken, O Lord, a word for each day
To shine as a light on my pathway,
Encourage/strengthen by Thy grace
In victory to run the present race,
Until before Thy throne I shall stand,
One in Thy purpose, at Thy command

==============================

from Oswald Chambers -- June 17

"The vital relationship which the Christian has to the Bible is not that he worships the letter, but that the Holy Spirit makes the words of the Bible spirit and life to him."

==============================

from TASparks Daily Open Windows devotional

The best that I can hope is that this has just opened a window, and that as you look through it you are seeing one thing - how superior is Jesus Christ to all else!

Offline dajomaco

« Reply #47 on: June 17, 2013, 10:01:06 PM »

From Dajo

Words like thou and thee
Are they  the words God speaks to me?
I know the voice of God cannot be heard
It says so in his written word.
Thou art given eyes to see
This is how God speaks to me.

For thane's own self we observe
The oath of love remains to serve.
This is what he asks of me.
To observe and let him be.
And if I have the nerve.
I be love and let him serve.

speaktruth

« Reply #48 on: July 07, 2013, 03:51:25 AM »
from Jamieson-Fausset-Brown 

Jesus saith unto her, Said I not unto thee, that, if thou wouldest believe, thou shouldest see the glory of God.  John 11:40

He had not said those very words, but this was the scope of all that He had uttered to her about His life-giving power (John 11:23, 25, 26);  a gentle yet emphatic and most instructive rebuke:  "Why doth the restoration of life, even to a decomposing corpse, seem hopeless in the presence of the Resurrection and the Life?  Hast thou yet to learn that 'if thou canst believe, all things are possible to him that believeth?' Mark 9:23

speaktruth

« Reply #49 on: July 09, 2013, 03:12:22 PM »
from gracegems Law on the Psalms

Ps 27:4
One supreme desire occupies the believing heart :HeartThrob:.  He longs for close communion with the Lord.  He diligently uses all appointed means.  Such is the constant habit of his life.  It is no passing impulse.  He pursues this hallowed communion all the days of his life.  His eyes would see the beauty of the Lord, the lovely charm of His transcendent grace, displayed in redemption's wondrous work.  He thirsts after fuller knowledge.  His ardent cry is "Show me Your glory!"