Author Topic: What is the most literal version of the Bible?  (Read 175 times)

Offline GraceUponGrace

• Reg
What is the most literal version of the Bible?
« on: October 22, 2014, 11:41:12 PM »
I have been challenged so much by the UR idea since finding this site, am continuing to ask Father to give me revelation of these things as I continue to seek in the Scriptures and prayer. I have been reading YLT for a little while and am considering buying a Concordant version, because I need more than an online version of the Bible to study from. What is the most literal translation or which translation would you recommend for very serious, thorough study by someone who is extremely literal?

Offline Tom

Re: What is the most literal version of the Bible?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 11:58:37 PM »
I read the King James Version for years, but, when I became aware of universal reconciliation, I started reading Young's Literal Translation until I became aware of the Concordant Version. That's what I prefer now, and you can compare all three of those versions along with an ultra-literal translation and the ancient text with the Interlinear Scripture Analyzer. The Concordant Version Old Testament book will be published soon. I prefer to be paperless, but you can order books from the Concordant site where you can also download the Interlinear Scripture Analyzer. No version of scripture is perfect because something is always lost in translation, but the Concordant Version is the best I've seen.

http://concordant.org/

Offline JBerton

• Truth Seeker
« Reply #2 on: Today at 12:00:09 AM »
I read the King James Version for years, but, when I became aware of universal reconciliation, I started reading Young's Literal Translation until I became aware of the Concordant Version. That's what I prefer now, and you can compare all three of those versions along with an ultra-literal translation and the ancient text with the Interlinear Scripture Analyzer. The Concordant Version Old Testament book will be published soon. I prefer to be paperless, but you can order books from the Concordant site where you can also download the Interlinear Scripture Analyzer. No version of scripture is perfect because something is always lost in translation, but the Concordant Version is the best I've seen.

http://concordant.org/

Concordant Literal

:thumbsup:

You may also like the Rotherham's Emphasized.
I love them both.
:Book: NEVER STOP SEARCHING! :Chinscratch:

Offline joeteekay

• Est
« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:43:12 AM »
Hi there,

My search when I learn't of UR was the Concordant Literal. I like it. Also Rotherhams and YLT are good. But I find never rely on only one translation. Search the scriptures with the ones closest to the originals. Not easy but rewarding. Although you say you want hard copy you may find this site of value.

http://studybible.info/
 :Peace2:
Joe from Ottawa

Offline Seth

• Gold
« Reply #4 on: Today at 12:49:18 AM »
If you really want some quality study, download the free application called eSword and download all the free Bibles. Not sure if CLV has a module. But it has a built-in interlinear and concordance etc. Great for serious Bible study.

http://www.esword.com

Offline joeteekay

• Est
« Reply #5 on: Today at 01:06:02 AM »
 :thumbsup:
Joe from Ottawa

Offline Tom

« Reply #6 on: Today at 01:21:54 AM »
I've seen the e-Sword CLV module online in different places, but they seem to be so old that they won't have the updated New Testament not to mention the old version of the Old Testament. At least the Interlinear Scripture Analyzer has the updated New Testament and hopefully will have the updated Old Testament soon.

Offline micah7:9

• Gold
  • Mic 7:8 Thou dost not rejoice over me, O mine ene
« Reply #7 on: Today at 02:19:09 AM »
Check em all, use em all. But try to stay away from the ones who have commentaries, they will turn and tease your reasoning and like Scofield try to teach you something, attempting to prove with verse of such things as a "rapture." Bibles with commentaries are made to sway rather than teach. The Dake Bible is a good example. :2c: :dsunny:
« Last Edit: Today at 02:26:56 AM by micah7:9 »
Mic 7:8  Thou dost not rejoice over me, O mine enemy, When I have fallen, I have risen, When I sit in darkness Jehovah is a light to me.

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #8 on: Today at 04:31:39 AM »
Check em all, use em all. But try to stay away from the ones who have commentaries, they will turn and tease your reasoning and like Scofield try to teach you something, attempting to prove with verse of such things as a "rapture." Bibles with commentaries are made to sway rather than teach. The Dake Bible is a good example. :2c: :dsunny:
The notes can be very helpful because they give me food for thought. Some Bibles give alternative word meanings in the notes. But, yeah notes are often used to teach a view. But many Bibles are translated to teach a view. Word like age, eternal, grave, hell, punishment, correcting, etc are teaching too.
1 Timothy 2:3-4  ...God our Savior;  Who will have all men to be saved...
John 12:47  And if any man hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world.
Romans 4:5 But to the one who does not work, but believes in the one who declares the ungodly righteous ...

Offline micah7:9

• Gold
  • Mic 7:8 Thou dost not rejoice over me, O mine ene
« Reply #9 on: Today at 05:42:16 AM »
The notes can be very helpful because they give me food for thought. Some Bibles give alternative word meanings in the notes. But, yeah notes are often used to teach a view. But many Bibles are translated to teach a view. Word like age, eternal, grave, hell, punishment, correcting, etc are teaching too.

Yes I agree. I think the word is caution.
Mic 7:8  Thou dost not rejoice over me, O mine enemy, When I have fallen, I have risen, When I sit in darkness Jehovah is a light to me.