Author Topic: What IS blasphemy?  (Read 396 times)

Offline DanielB

• Full
What IS blasphemy?
« on: September 10, 2014, 04:20:15 AM »
I have been wondering lately whether atheist or non christians can even be (knowingly)blasphemous against God. Well it may seem obvious "Yes they can be or are blasphemous!" but from what I have heard from atheists talking about "God" it does not seem they are talking about THE God. Many seem to think the christian God is some fictional "wizard" or some "magical man in the sky"(I suspect many are just trying to be inflammatory though) so if they don't even know who they are talking about then how can they insult God? And if someone knows God and still insults him then are they not insane or broken in the head(or "heart")? So with these things in mind what is blasphemy? Is it ignorance, insanity, or something else?

Offline UniversalSceptic

• Full
Re: What IS blasphemy?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 07:51:01 AM »
Didn't blasphemy in the Bible have to more with the claims that Jesus's miracles were the result of demonic influence. Jesus said that blasphemy against the Holy Spirt was the unforgivable son.

Offline rosered

• Gold
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 01:25:40 PM »
Didn't blasphemy in the Bible have to more with the claims that Jesus's miracles were the result of demonic influence. Jesus said that blasphemy against the Holy Spirt was the unforgivable son.
   :thumbsup:

So with these things in mind what is blasphemy? Is it ignorance, insanity, or something else?

las·phe·my noun \ˈblas-fə-mē\
: great disrespect shown to God or to something holy

: something said or done that is disrespectful to God or to something holy
plural blas·phe·mies

Full Definition of BLASPHEMY

a :  the act of insulting or showing contempt or lack of reverence for God
b :  the act of claiming the attributes of deity
:  irreverence toward something considered sacred or inviolable
 See blasphemy defined for English-language learners »
See blasphemy defined for kids »
Examples of BLASPHEMY

She was condemned by the church for uttering blasphemies.
<in the 17th century the Quakers were persecuted for beliefs and practices that older churches regarded as blasphemies>

Rev 17 ;3  Aramaic Bible in Plain English
And he brought me to the wilderness in The Spirit, and I saw a woman who sat on a blood-red beast full of blasphemous names, which had seven heads and ten horns.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 04:40:44 PM by rosered »

Offline eaglesway

• < Moderator >
  • Grace & Peace be multiplied unto you, in Jesus
    • Hell is a Myth.com
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2014, 05:35:42 AM »
Blasphemy is another thing that is a matter of degrees, the most serious of which is blasphemy against the Holy Spirit
The Logos is complete, but it is not completely understood. hellisamyth.webs.com

Offline DanielB

• Full
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 03:43:54 PM »
Thanks for the answers everybody.  :thumbsup:

Offline Eduard

• Snr
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2014, 08:34:53 PM »
What does "taking the Lord's name in vain" actually mean? Some take it so far as to say they can never say "Oh my God!" or write "G-d". :dontknow:
Micah 7:7

But as for me, I will look to the Lord; I will wait for the God of my salvation; my God will hear me.

Offline Seth

• Gold
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2014, 09:28:06 PM »
What does "taking the Lord's name in vain" actually mean? Some take it so far as to say they can never say "Oh my God!" or write "G-d". :dontknow:

I haven't done full research on this, but I have read that "do not take the Lord's name in vain" means not to prophecy falsely. In other words, "thus saith the Lord" can be said "in vain" (empty, having no fulfillment or power) when spoken by a false prophet. If the surrounding pagan nations say "Thus saith Ba'al, it will rain if you sacrifice a virgin" (or whatever), that's using the name of a god for the purpose of prophecy in vain because there is no real Ba'al. So it is an empty usage of a god's name. The Lord is telling them not to be using his name for purposes that are vanity (useless), not to be speaking "thus saith the Lord" when he has not spoken. There are specific and very serious warnings about false prophets in the Law. It's an interesting point of view.