Author Topic: Need Help On Understanding This  (Read 62 times)

Offline RonnyTX

• Est
Need Help On Understanding This
« on: January 29, 2015, 01:09:37 AM »
I can't remember a lot of this being taught on,in the church I grew up in. That is,what the Old Testament Hebrew people knew of the Messiah,who we know,by the name Jesus Christ? I know they were taught,that He was to come. I remember Job saying,that he knew his Redeemer lived and that he would see him. But how many years and what years are we talking about,for the Old Testament Hebrew people? I know their temple and Jerusalem,was destroyed in 70ad,by a Roman army. But at about what time is it said,that God first called Abraham? Wondering too,what would the average Hebrew person back then,have been taught and known,about the coming Messiah? Who he was? What he was to do for them,etc? And I know some of them knew God personally,by what God did for them. But what about the larger mass of OT Hebrew people? What did they know about God,in a personal sense? Did God reveal himself to many people back then,in a personal sense, in a highly personal way?

Just a lot of questions and wonderings,because like I say,I don't think all that much was taught about this,in the church I grew up in. And sad to say;but I was just thinking recently,that there is surely a good part of the Old Testament,that I've never even read. And I was thinking,I surely do need to read such.

What's got me thinking about all of this now,is a question that's come up in another group. Some people wondering or saying,just what did the Old Testament people know,about Jesus Christ?

One other thing I've just remembered and need to look up again;but that's some scripture in the New Testament,that says the gospel was took to Abraham.

Offline Seth

• Gold
Re: Need Help On Understanding This
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 07:31:19 AM »
Not sure if I know much about the household teachings of what to expect from the messiah, but when Jesus said "think not that I have come to destroy the law" it seemed to indicate to me that the expectation was that he would deliver them from all the ordinances, but in a certain way that he denied. But I think it's a peek into what they desired from the savior.

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
Re: Need Help On Understanding This
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 08:48:48 AM »
The Jewish religion wasn't always monotheistic. (that started long after Jesus died)
It's not that they followed false gods, but more like they believed God had 2, can't find a good word, attributes/appearance. They believed in the invisible God that absolutely nobody ever has seen. But also a visible part that manifested Himself among man. For lack of better words binity that had a visible and invisible counterpart. Along that line of thought when we read about God's Right hand, it isn't about God at all. To simplify, God=Father=invisible, right hand=Jesus=visible

But what about the larger mass of OT Hebrew people?
My guess is that they knew little about God, just like present day Christians. But as I had to take a guess the average Jew either modern or ancient knows more about God than Christians.

coming Messiah? Who he was? What he was to do for them,etc?
AFAIK that believe was a in a state of flux. They believed in two Messiah's a suffering one and a conquering one. Not unlike Christians. Christ the Lamb that is butchered. Christ the Lion that kills all enemies.
What, imo, went wrong in spotting Jesus the first Messiah was that in their teachings He would be perfect flawless teacher that perfectly keeps and explains the Law. Jesus did just that, but when He lived they had so many additional Laws they no longer were able to see Jesus was explaining/reteaching the Law instead of constantly breaking it.
1 Timothy 2:3-4  ...God our Savior;  Who will have all men to be saved...
John 12:47  And if any man hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world.
Romans 4:5 But to the one who does not work, but believes in the one who declares the ungodly righteous ...