Author Topic: Personal question  (Read 755 times)

natcat86

Personal question
« on: November 20, 2009, 10:34:06 PM »
Can christians use contracption. Not the pill or other forms which stop pregnancy after sperm meets egg but barrier methods like condoms?  :mblush: Within a marriage of course!!!! :thumbsup:

Offline Raggedy Anne

Re: Personal question
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 10:38:25 PM »
Are you serious?  Why should one not use contraception?   I never wanted a dozen children, I can assure you of that!   
:happy3: :happy3: :happy3: :happy3: :happy3: :happy3: :happy3: :happy3: :happy3: :happy3: :happy3: :happy3:
Ours is not to make up anybody's mind, but to open hearts.
You cannot plough a field by turning it over in your mind.

Gab

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2009, 12:39:46 AM »
I can't imagine why not...

Offline CHB

• Silver
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2009, 03:26:58 AM »
Gab, who are you replying to, Anne or natcat?  :laughing7:
Oh by the way, I have used both.

CHB

Gab

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2009, 04:13:11 AM »
Gab, who are you replying to, Anne or natcat?  :laughing7:

Was responding to natcat, but I suppose my reply works in response to Raggedy Anne's post as well. :grin:

natcat86

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2009, 01:06:40 PM »
Thanks guys, I thought it would be fine too but I have heard sme christians say we are commanded to be fruitful and multiply so we shouldn't stop our selves from multiplying. Also the whole catholic thing. LIke I said I cant see anything wrong with it, but have had too re think so much since being here thought I'd find out id this was one more!!

Natalie :girlheart:

Gab

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2009, 08:23:57 AM »
Thanks guys, I thought it would be fine too but I have heard sme christians say we are commanded to be fruitful and multiply so we shouldn't stop our selves from multiplying.

I figured that would come up, and to be honest that's the goofiest interpretation of those verses that I could possibly imagine.  That command was specifically to Adam and Eve and to Noah and his family, who were at the time of that command the only human beings on the entire planet, so obviously it was rather important for them to have kids.

Even if we do allow the assertion that that command was directed at all humankind rather than to those specific people and their immediate descendants (which it was not - how would we reconcile it with the statement that it is good for men not to marry if it was?), then if we are to take that verse to mean that we must do everything we possibly can to make babies, then we would have to conclude that every single second during which a woman is fertile but not pregnant, she is sinning against God.  I do not think that any Christian on Earth would agree with this, yet this is the necessary ultimate end of the assertion that condoms are sinful because they keep us from procreating.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 10:55:23 AM by Gab »

natcat86

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2009, 11:36:08 PM »
Thanks Gab.