Author Topic: My stomach turned...and not for what you would think!  (Read 4059 times)

YoungYuni

Re: My stomach turned...and not for what you would think!
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2009, 02:15:22 AM »
Are you sure you are not Craig? You sure do sound like him. I can understand why you two are friends.  grin

Hiya,

I do not know if you mean that as a compliment or as an insult because I do not know how you view him.

All I know is, I can understand his frustrations.

:sigh: :dontknow:

Offline Nathan

• Gold
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2009, 02:23:56 AM »
After looking at that passage a little more . . .I've again found a problem with how King James translates it.  It speaks of Jesus "groaning" within himself.  And as we look at our use of the word, and given the context here that Jesus' best friend just dies . . .we ASSUME he's mourning.  But that's not what groaning here means.  Here's a definition I pulled up off of esword .. . .

embrimaomai
em-brim-ah'-om-ahee
From G1722 and βριμάομαι brimaomai (to snort with anger); to have indignation on, that is, (transitively) to blame, (intransitively) to sigh with chagrin, (specifically) to sternly enjoin: - straitly charge, groan, murmur against.

Jesus wasn't mourning, he was ticked off.  So in seeing that, I had to go back to the context and see what it was I missed because up to now, I've seen that Jesus was moved by the emotion and love the others had for the passing of their beloved.

30Now Jesus was not yet come into the town, but was in that place where Martha met him.

31The Jews then which were with her in the house, and comforted her, when they saw Mary, that she rose up hastily and went out, followed her, saying, She goeth unto the grave to weep there.

32Then when Mary was come where Jesus was, and saw him, she fell down at his feet, saying unto him, Lord, if thou hadst been here, my brother had not died.

33When Jesus therefore saw her weeping, and the Jews also weeping which came with her, he groaned in the spirit, and was troubled.

Could it be, instead of him mourning "with" them, he was disgusted "at" them for not believing that he could do what he said he'd do?  I think it's even more telling a couple verses later.

34And said, Where have ye laid him? They said unto him, Lord, come and see.

35Jesus wept.

36Then said the Jews, Behold how he loved him!

37 And some of them said, Could not this man, which opened the eyes of the blind, have caused that even this man should not have died?

38 Jesus therefore again groaning in himself cometh to the grave. It was a cave, and a stone lay upon it.

Groaneth . .. same word . . .same emotion.  he was ticked off at them for their cynicism.  

39Jesus said, Take ye away the stone. Martha, the sister of him that was dead, saith unto him, Lord, by this time he stinketh: for he hath been dead four days.

40Jesus saith unto her, Said I not unto thee, that, if thou wouldest believe, thou shouldest see the glory of God?  41Then they took away the stone from the place where the dead was laid. And Jesus lifted up his eyes, and said, Father, I thank thee that thou hast heard me.  42And I knew that thou hearest me always: but because of the people which stand by I said it, that they may believe that thou hast sent me.

I sense our own emotions have come to the surface against each other and rather than edifying, we're imploding.  The message and the reason for boards such as these and the thousands of others out there like them, is for the purpose of eagles gathering together.  Every flock tends to attrack vultures as well.  Eagles feed on the life of truth in each other, the vultures live for the death of others.  The focus for us is to look for and live in the room that illuminates the fact that you are a resurrected people.  You are not here to use your sword against another, but to let light shine through you that edifies and builds up another.  Let the discipline come to those whom authority is appointed to.  And when dealing with these forums . .with "this" forum, there is a short list of mods that have accepted that role . ..for the rest of us, can we not pursue the love of Christ for the maturity of ourselves?  

Offline Molly

• Gold
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2009, 02:37:14 AM »
Quote from: Nathan
Could it be, instead of him mourning "with" them, he was disgusted "at" them for not believing that he could do what he said he'd do?  I think it's even more telling a couple verses later.

Hi Nathan, that's what I said--

I think it was a combination of frustration and empathy.  Imagine looking at it from his point of view lol.  Nobody gets anything he is saying...Plus they are suffering needlessly...

Just before this incident he goes back and forth with the disciples on this subject--

Lazarus is sick and dying

Lazarus is sleeping

Oh he's sleeping?  that's better.

Lazarus is dead

LOL

They don't understand a word he is saying.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 02:42:24 AM by Molly »

Offline Nathan

• Gold
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2009, 02:46:34 AM »
I see what you're saying NOW.  the groaning threw me .. .stupid translators!

Offline Molly

• Gold
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2009, 02:52:25 AM »
yeah.  That's why the greek and Hebrew are so important.

I've decided to give everyone a one year extension to learn them. :cloud9:

Offline Taffy

• Gold
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2009, 02:54:24 AM »

and Five yrs Grace for me to learn English I hope Molly... :icon_flower:
Isa 29:18 And in that day shall the deaf hear the words of the book, and the eyes of the blind shall see out of obscurity, and out of darkness.

Offline Molly

• Gold
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2009, 05:31:32 AM »

"granted"  :icon_flower:

G1325
δίδωμι
didōmi
did'-o-mee
A prolonged form of a primary verb (which is used as an alternate in most of the tenses); to give (used in a very wide application, properly or by implication, literally or figuratively; greatly modified by the connection): - adventure, bestow, bring forth, commit, deliver (up), give, grant, hinder, make, minister, number, offer, have power, put, receive, set, shew, smite (+ with the hand), strike (+ with the palm of the hand), suffer, take, utter, yield.

Offline Molly

• Gold
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2009, 07:10:11 PM »
But take a look at this, --

Before Jesus raises Lazarus from the dead he is "troubled."

33When Jesus therefore saw her weeping, and the Jews also weeping which came with her, he groaned in the spirit, and was troubled.

34And said, Where have ye laid him? They said unto him, Lord, come and see.

35Jesus wept.

--John 11

[was] "troubled"

G5015
ταράσσω
tarassō
tar-as'-so
Of uncertain affinity; to stir or agitate (roil water): - trouble.

To agitate, stir, or roil water---the precursor to miraculous healing--seen also at the Bethesda pools--it's the same word...

4For an angel went down at a certain season into the pool, and troubled the water: whosoever then first after the troubling of the water stepped in was made whole of whatsoever disease he had.
--John 5

"troubled" [the water]

G5015
ταράσσω
tarassō
tar-as'-so
Of uncertain affinity; to stir or agitate (roil water): - trouble.

Offline Cardinal

• < Moderator >
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2009, 07:20:45 PM »
 :cloud9: I love that  :thumbsup:  I had always taken it that He was in travail in the Spirit when He groaned within himself, getting ready to "birth". Too cool........love His Word. Thanks for posting that, made my day........blessings
"I would rather train twenty men to pray, than a thousand to preach; A minister's highest mission ought to be to teach his people to pray." -H. MacGregor

Offline Taffy

• Gold
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2009, 07:38:53 PM »

"granted"  :icon_flower:

G1325
δίδωμι
didōmi
did'-o-mee
A prolonged form of a primary verb (which is used as an alternate in most of the tenses); to give (used in a very wide application, properly or by implication, literally or figuratively; greatly modified by the connection): - adventure, bestow, bring forth, commit, deliver (up), give, grant, hinder, make, minister, number, offer, have power, put, receive, set, shew, smite (+ with the hand), strike (+ with the palm of the hand), suffer, take, utter, yield.

:icon_flower:
Isa 29:18 And in that day shall the deaf hear the words of the book, and the eyes of the blind shall see out of obscurity, and out of darkness.

Offline Taffy

• Gold
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2009, 07:40:06 PM »
:cloud9: I love that  :thumbsup:  I had always taken it that He was in travail in the Spirit when He groaned within himself, getting ready to "birth". Too cool........love His Word. Thanks for posting that, made my day........blessings
:bgdance: :bgdance: :icon_flower:

Offline Molly

• Gold
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2009, 07:50:35 PM »
Great.  Now will somebody please explain it to me? lol

Why do the 'waters' have to be agitated, before a miracle takes place?

Is each miracle some type of birthing?

ScarletWren

« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2009, 08:01:34 PM »
Interesting question, Molly.  I'm sure there is a spiritual explanation for that.  It brings to mind Jonah.  The sea was greatly agitated until the sailors  threw him into it.  Then it grew calm again.  There must be some connection.

Offline Cardinal

• < Moderator >
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2009, 09:08:45 PM »
 :cloud9: Anything manifested in the natural was first birthed in the Spirit. The evidence (that which is birthed) is what we had the faith FOR, in other words. Blessings...

WOW. The second I finished writing the above, something hit me in a new way. All of creation is bringing the sons of God to birth. Put another way, ALL THINGS (created) work together for good, for those that love the Lord, and are called according to His purpose.

Hey, Molly, bet the word "waiting", as in creation is waiting for the manifestation of the sons of God in Romans has in some way "rabbit tracks" back to an idea of bringing forth or birthing........
"I would rather train twenty men to pray, than a thousand to preach; A minister's highest mission ought to be to teach his people to pray." -H. MacGregor

Offline Taffy

• Gold
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2009, 09:18:16 PM »
Molly..stirring,,,to awaken... ready to bring to life  :icon_flower:.

Offline Nathan

• Gold
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2009, 09:42:01 PM »
:cloud9: Anything manifested in the natural was first birthed in the Spirit. The evidence (that which is birthed) is what we had the faith FOR, in other words. Blessings...

WOW. The second I finished writing the above, something hit me in a new way. All of creation is bringing the sons of God to birth. Put another way, ALL THINGS (created) work together for good, for those that love the Lord, and are called according to His purpose.

Hey, Molly, bet the word "waiting", as in creation is waiting for the manifestation of the sons of God in Romans has in some way "rabbit tracks" back to an idea of bringing forth or birthing........

Yes!!  I see it to!!  As the spirit "moved" upon the face of the deep . . .the dove "hovered" over the head of Christ as he was baptized in the river of death.  The agitation of the waters is an act of intimacy.  For the seed of life to be released, there is a "moving" that comes first.

Offline Cardinal

• < Moderator >
« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2009, 11:08:01 PM »

Yes!!  I see it to!!  As the spirit "moved" upon the face of the deep . . .the dove "hovered" over the head of Christ as he was baptized in the river of death.  The agitation of the waters is an act of intimacy.  For the seed of life to be released, there is a "moving" that comes first.

:cloud9:  OOH...... I see that too. Love it!  :banana: :ty:

Offline Brian

« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2009, 11:23:39 PM »
Quite frankly my stomach often turns here regarding the seemingly vitriolic attitude towards all of Christendom, that isn't viewed as 100% pure UR.

Hiya,

If you are quite fine having your Savior misrepresented, then that is your prerogative to feel however you want.

:dontknow:

In what way do you consider Him misrepresented in this instance?
For it is for this we labor and strive, because we have fixed our hope on the living God, who is the Savior of all men, especially of believers. 1 Timothy 4:10

Offline Nathan

• Gold
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2009, 12:18:57 AM »
um . . .yy's been arrested for a fortnight . . . got a little to spicy earlier.

Offline Brian

« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2009, 12:22:44 AM »
Hiya,

Now what does Jesus weeping over the loss of his friend Lazarus, is Jesus weeping over the lost?

Was Lazarus lost, and that is why Jesus wept?

I covered that as well as I know how in a privious post to this thred.

I would like you to explain how the reason my stomach turned was not because a religion was going out making people feel guilty by showing a corny picture of Jesus crying over the world.

Knowing full well the picture was created because the artist believes that 99.8% of the world will be lost and the organization that promotes the picture comes from a doctrine that says those lost will be tortured endlessly.

Then how about explaining to everyone, in your wisdom, how it turns your stomach when you perceive a vitriolic attitude towards Christianity just because it doesn't believe in universal salvation.

Do you truly believe that I have no grounds to be disgusted with it?

If you can take some responsibility to the words you speak, I would be happy to explain even further that it is not just because Christianity does not believe in universal salvation, that I appear to have a vitriolic attitude towards it.

Can you do that sir?

:Pray: :fool:

Well, first of all it's not that 99.8% of the world will be lost, it's that the a great portion of the world is lost. I can't help but feel that  Jesus is capable of weeping over those who are lost in the here and now. Unless we are to believe our relationship or lack thereof in the here and now, is of no consequence to Him

As for a doctrine of eternal torment, there really isn't a doctrine that needs to be formed. The Bible says quite plainly eternal punishment and eternal torment. When my pastor was teaching out of the Book of Revelation and got to the passage, "And the smoke of their torment goes up forever and ever; they have no rest day and night..." Rev 14:11. In my ears he said something to the equivalent that he/we would like to believe something else, but the weight of Scripture tells us otherwise. That's what he for instance is going by, the weight of Scripture. Not an evil God doctrine. But simply the weight of Scripture, painful or difficult as it is to do so. How on earth can I personally hold that against him?

And I'm quite sure you, along with many others here, have a long list of dislikes towards Christianity beyond UR. I've come to the conclusion that a lot of people who don't become apostates, become universalists. But in doing so they pretty much toss out Christianity and being a Christian. I'm getting the feeling I don't fit in here to a certain degree, because I'm too much of a Christian (and I consider myself a weak and struggling Christian BTW) It really seems too many here consider the "C" word as offensive as the "F" word. And yeah, that turns my stomach. It turns my stomach, because it makes it far too easy for those portraying such attitudes to represent UR as anti-Christian i.e. anti-Christ. If it weren't for Evangelical Universalists, there wouldn't be anyone for Christians to listen to regarding UR. Myself included.

Pray fool

Believe me, I am praying.

For it is for this we labor and strive, because we have fixed our hope on the living God, who is the Savior of all men, especially of believers. 1 Timothy 4:10

Offline Nathan

• Gold
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2009, 12:31:54 AM »
I think I'll go ahead and take the plunge in this one Brian.  It appears that you support the ET perspective, which is fine if that's what you choose to beleive, that's between you and the Lord.  The tone of your message strikes me as a bit disgruntled and I'm not sure if it's because of your conversation with yy or someone else.  But just for my own clarification, are you saying that the majority of posters on "this" forum are anti-Christian and "that's" what makes you feel uncomfortable?

Offline Redlettervoice

« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2009, 01:27:57 AM »

[/quote]

Part of a song:  "And the waters of Jordan are now rolled back
by the WATERS that come from ABOVE.
For the HOLY GHOST WATERS .............make a mighty heap.
The LIVING God is LOVE!!"

Molly, that's words or part of when the priests were told to
put their feet in the water and the people would follow them.

Notice there were two kinds of water.  Water and WATER from
Above. 

Notice in Genesis when "darkness" was on the face of the
deep, God divided the "water" from the WATER above
the firmament.  The firmament was the divider.

Yes, a MIRACLE happened when Jordan overflowed her
water............and LOVE was somewhere birthed.

Again, when the "woman" travailed in Revelation 12, she
brought forth a Son of LOVE.........tho she had to go into
hiding in the wilderness from the "face" of the serpent
who was spitting out his flood of words.  There God protected
her.  Another MIRACLE following agitation. 

ALL things are for YOUR sakes. 

Offline Nathan

• Gold
« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2009, 02:42:51 AM »

[/quote]

Above. 

Oh . . .Redletter . . .you're right on the edge of something great . . .take it to the next level . ..when the Jordan river rolled back . . .WHERE did it roll back to??  It names a specific city . . . so profound a picture . . . totally a God thing.

And also, what does Jordan mean?  This isn't just any river . . . it's nature is always one that descends . . .connected to death . . . which even makes it more profound when you realize that there was a reason why Jesus chose to be baptized in "this" river . . .you're definitely on the edge . . . care to be pushed off??

Offline Molly

• Gold
« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2009, 05:07:20 AM »

[/quote]

Above. 

Oh . . .Redletter . . .you're right on the edge of something great . . .take it to the next level . ..when the Jordan river rolled back . . .WHERE did it roll back to??  It names a specific city . . . so profound a picture . . . totally a God thing.

And also, what does Jordan mean?  This isn't just any river . . . it's nature is always one that descends . . .connected to death . . . which even makes it more profound when you realize that there was a reason why Jesus chose to be baptized in "this" river . . .you're definitely on the edge . . . care to be pushed off??

haha

RED is not on the edge.  She's one of the priests standing in the middle of the river.

RED! :mfriends:

You know, Nathan, I hear what you're saying but that word Jordan also means 'boundary.'   Look here--

"Jordan"

H3383
ירדּן
yardên
yar-dane'
From H3381; a descender; Jarden, the principal river of Palestine: - Jordan.

H3381
ירד
yârad
yaw-rad'
A primitive root; to descend (literally to go downwards; or conventionally to a lower region, as the shore, a boundary, the enemy, etc.; or figuratively to fall); causatively to bring down (in all the above applications): -  X abundantly, bring down, carry down, cast down, (cause to) come (-ing) down, fall (down), get down, go (-ing) down (-ward), hang down, X indeed, let down, light (down), put down (off), (cause to, let) run down, sink, subdue, take down.

This is somehow all wrapped up in a study I'm doing on 'healing in his wings.'  There's something about a boundary, a border--the hem of the priest, the woman who touched the hem of Jesus' robe.   What does it mean?  Is Christ a border between man and God the same way death is--but with Christ the border is life?

2But unto you that fear my name shall the Sun of righteousness arise with healing in his wings; and ye shall go forth, and grow up as calves of the stall.
--Mal 4

"wings"

H3671
כּנף
kânâph
kaw-nawf'
From H3670; an edge or extremity; specifically (of a bird or army) a wing, (of a garment or bed clothing) a flap, (of the earth) a quarter, (of a building) a pinnacle: -  + bird, border, corner, end, feather [-ed], X flying, + (one an-) other, overspreading, X quarters, skirt, X sort, uttermost part, wing ([-ed]).

Matthew 9:20
And, behold, a woman, which was diseased with an issue of blood twelve years, came behind him, and touched the hem of his garment:

Matthew 14:36
And besought him that they might only touch the hem of his garment: and as many as touched were made perfectly whole.

"the hem'

G2899
κράσπεδον
kraspedon
kras'-ped-on
Of uncertain derivation; a margin, that is, (specifically) a fringe or tassel: - border, hem.

A border is the line between one thing and another.   Is that the place where we have to stand to do miracles?

Offline Molly

• Gold
« Reply #49 on: January 23, 2009, 05:37:06 AM »
13 "The priests will carry the ark of the Lord. He's the Lord of the whole earth. As soon as the priests step into the Jordan, it will stop flowing. The water that's coming down the river will pile up in one place. That's how you will know that the living God is among you."
 14 So the people took their tents down. They prepared to go across the Jordan River. The priests who were carrying the ark of the covenant went ahead of them.

15 The water of the Jordan was going over its banks. It always does that at the time the crops are being gathered. The priests came to the river. Their feet touched the water's edge. 16 Right away the water that was coming down the river stopped flowing. It piled up far away at a town called Adam near Zarethan. The water that was flowing down to the Dead Sea was completely cut off. So the people went across the Jordan River opposite Jericho.

17 The priests carried the ark of the covenant of the Lord. They stood firm on dry ground in the middle of the river. They stayed there until the whole nation of Israel had gone across on dry ground.

--Josh 3

The priests carrying the ark actually stop the flow of the water from Adam to the dead sea when their feet touch the water's edge.   Is that symbolic enough? Death is cut off from Adam. Talk about agitated water.  They are creating their own boundary between life and death, a safe place of dry ground to cross over.  wow! :mshock:

"Most truly I say to you, He that hears my word and believes him that sent me has everlasting life, and he does not come into judgment but has passed over from death to life."

--John 5:24

« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 05:47:15 AM by Molly »