Author Topic: Lake of Fire = Baptism by Fire?  (Read 1061 times)

chaela

Lake of Fire = Baptism by Fire?
« on: January 23, 2008, 07:01:51 PM »
This is an off-the-wall question, but I was wondering something:  Could the Lake of Fire be the "Baptism by fire" mentioned in Matthew 3:11?  Or is there no way the two could be one and the same thing?

Apocatastasis

Re: Lake of Fire = Baptism by Fire?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 06:50:15 PM »
I don't think your question is off the wall at all.  I think a very, very strong case can be made that to be cast into the lake of fire is to be baptized with fire. 

"Even as John was waiting at the shore of the Jordan for those that came to be baptised . . . even so the Lord will stand in the River of Fire beside the Flaming Sword, and will baptise in this River everyone . . . who is still in need of purgation." - Origen Homily 24

Barry DuPont

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2009, 07:52:15 PM »
This is an off-the-wall question, but I was wondering something:  Could the Lake of Fire be the "Baptism by fire" mentioned in Matthew 3:11?  Or is there no way the two could be one and the same thing?

Yes.
Matthew 3 and Luke 3 speak of both the Baptism of the holy spirit and the baptism of fire. Both also deal with the then coming Judgment. "The axe is already laid to the root of the trees"
This is the same as the lake of fire. The catastrophic end of the old covenant system.

Mark 1 and John 1 both speak of the baptism of the Holy Spirit but not of the Baptism of fire. And of course then neither one is addressing "judgment" either. This is the consistency of the 4 gospels.

When addressing the baptism of fire, in kind then, the Judgment, the wrath to come or "wrath about to be" was also addressed.
When only the baptism of the Holy Spirit is mentioned then we do not also in kind, see the "who warned you to flee from the wrath to come?" and "the axe is already laid to the root of the trees".

"And do not say within yourselves that you have Abraham as your father, for God is from these stones able...."

This is what they were told to repent from. The dead works of the old system.

Barry

Offline willieH

• Read Only
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2009, 08:33:00 PM »
willieH: Hi chaela... :welcome: to Tentmaker!!! :hithere:

This is an off-the-wall question, but I was wondering something:  Could the Lake of Fire be the "Baptism by fire" mentioned in Matthew 3:11?  Or is there no way the two could be one and the same thing?

THIS LIFE ...IS... the Lake of FIRE, into which ALL have been cast (immersed)...

TIME is the FIRE in which we burn... and in that burning, are the sufferings, trials and tribulations of the KNOWLEDGE of GOOD and EVIL... the LIVING KNOWLEDGE of YHVH

...willieH  :cloud9:

Apocatastasis

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2009, 06:02:20 AM »
BarryDupont,

Your post was thought-provoking.  I've recently been devoting much time and thought on the baptism of Holy Spirit and fire, and am in agreement with the majority of the Patriarchs that the baptism of fire serves a purgative purpose for all mankind.  Consider the words of Chrysotom:

"And as when you are recasting iron or gold you make it pure and new once more, just so the Holy Ghost also, recasting the soul in baptism as in a furnace and consuming its sins, causes it to glisten with more purity than all purest gold."

Barry DuPont

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2009, 08:18:33 PM »
BarryDupont,

Your post was thought-provoking.  I've recently been devoting much time and thought on the baptism of Holy Spirit and fire, and am in agreement with the majority of the Patriarchs that the baptism of fire serves a purgative purpose for all mankind.  Consider the words of Chrysotom:

"And as when you are recasting iron or gold you make it pure and new once more, just so the Holy Ghost also, recasting the soul in baptism as in a furnace and consuming its sins, causes it to glisten with more purity than all purest gold."

Would like to compare ideas but don't want to Hijack this thread. :)

Blessings Barry