Author Topic: Humble Yourself, or "Let" God Do It?  (Read 691 times)

Offline jabcat

• Admin
  • SINNER SAVED BY GRACE
Humble Yourself, or "Let" God Do It?
« on: January 31, 2009, 11:40:34 AM »
I took this clip from a post by alihaymeg on another thread.  Hopefully I won't have to pay royalties.

"So as not to be misunderstood:
Justification is by faith. There are no works that can justify a person.
This is a totally seperate issue than becoming perfected in His love.

[alihaymeg quoting someone else:
So when your not feeling worthy it seems your in a better place then the one who is feeling quite deserving..end quote]

Exactly! It is when we are broken like pieces on the rock that we draw near to Him.
Pride goes before a fall."
-------------------------------
I really like that last sentence from ali, and boy have I been there.  I heard a preacher once say "don't [try to] humble yourself, let God do it".  I must admit, that scares me a little.  God's a whole lot bigger than me, and His spankings can hurt.  So, I usually feel a nudge, try to humble myself before Him, before He "has to do it for me".

Works?  My own efforts, my own righteousness, which is as filthy rags?  Or obedience, walking humbly before my God?

I'm not asking you to judge me...but what do you think of this topic in general, how does it work for you?  What do you think God expects?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 11:42:34 AM by jabcat »
Neither should there be vulgar speech, foolish talk, or coarse jesting--all of which are out of character--but rather thanksgiving.  Eph. 5:4  **  Saved 1John 3.2, Eph. 2:8, John 1:12 - Being saved 2Cor. 4:16 2Peter 3:18 - Will be saved 1Peter 1:5 Romans 8:23

Offline Cardinal

• < Moderator >
Re: Humble Yourself, or "Let" God Do It?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 05:41:03 PM »
 :cloud9: The Lord spoke to me regarding the word humble and what it means, and as usual, what HE means, and what we think it means, are two different things. He said that to humble ourselves truly, means to let Him empty us out of everything WE think, to take on/in everything HE thinks. Blessings....
"I would rather train twenty men to pray, than a thousand to preach; A minister's highest mission ought to be to teach his people to pray." -H. MacGregor

martincisneros

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 06:00:44 PM »
God humbling you in Scripture tends to have more to do with your humiliation rather than a genuine holy humility that He can work with.  There's lots of verses on this, but the point isn't whether or not one can come up with a lot of verses indicating God's power to put someone in their place, but which is His preference and I believe that the following verses summarize His preference.  And it's only these types of verses that carry the promises of God completely exalting you in this life.  To refuse or belittle God exalting you [in this life without measure] is to have a very haughty religious spirit according to the Scriptures.

And Moses and Aaron came in unto Pharaoh, and said unto him, Thus saith the LORD God of the Hebrews, How long wilt thou refuse to humble thyself before me? let my people go, that they may serve me. (Exodus 10:3)

If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land. (2Chronicles 7:14)

Because thine heart was tender, and thou didst humble thyself before God, when thou heardest his words against this place, and against the inhabitants thereof, and humbledst thyself before me, and didst rend thy clothes, and weep before me; I have even heard thee also, saith the LORD. (2Chronicles 34:27)

Do this now, my son, and deliver thyself, when thou art come into the hand of thy friend; go, humble thyself, and make sure thy friend. (Proverbs 6:3)

Say unto the king and to the queen, Humble yourselves, sit down: for your principalities shall come down, even the crown of your glory. (Jeremiah 13:18)

Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven.  (Matthew 18:4)

And whosoever shall exalt himself shall be abased; and he that shall humble himself shall be exalted. (Matthew 23:12)

Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up. (James 4:10)

Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time: (1Peter 5:6)

Offline CHB

• Silver
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 06:25:20 PM »

I think God humbles us by the things he brings about in our lives. I don't think we have the ability to humble ourselves. Just my opinion. (1Peter 5:6)  Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God       

(Job 22:29) When men are cast down, then thou shalt say, there is lifting up; and he shall save the humble person.

(Isaiah 2:11) (Isaiah 5:15)

It is God that causes things to happen in our lives that make us humble. He brings us to our knees like he did Job, Nebuchadnezzer, Paul, and a host of others, including myself.

CHB

aspiring son

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2009, 03:28:07 PM »

I think God humbles us by the things he brings about in our lives. I don't think we have the ability to humble ourselves. Just my opinion. (1Peter 5:6)  Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God      

(Job 22:29) When men are cast down, then thou shalt say, there is lifting up; and he shall save the humble person.

(Isaiah 2:11) (Isaiah 5:15)

It is God that causes things to happen in our lives that make us humble. He brings us to our knees like he did Job, Nebuchadnezzer, Paul, and a host of others, including myself.

CHB

I agree.Our past sins, uncomfortable situations or whatever may be are all steps toward humbling our nature.