Author Topic: How do I know if I'm doing God's will?  (Read 1656 times)

Andromeda_Organa

How do I know if I'm doing God's will?
« on: January 19, 2009, 11:57:20 PM »
I'm not doing a lot of church stuff- I'm mainly focusing on my studies, friendships, and writing. I'm worried that this won't let me into Heaven.

Offline rosered

• Gold
Re: How do I know if I'm doing God's will?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 03:14:20 AM »
I'm not doing a lot of church stuff- I'm mainly focusing on my studies, friendships, and writing. I'm worried that this won't let me into Heaven.

Hi Andromeda
  why do you want to go to heaven sis ?
  why does anyone  want  to go to heaven ?
  Do you think church stuff gets you into heaven ?

I need more info sis  thanks .
  :HeartThrob:

YoungYuni

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 05:12:53 AM »

Hiya!

You worry about some really silly stuff!

God wants you to be your best, that means studies, friendships and writing.

Nothing you said there takes away from God or the good that has been prepared for you!

God loves you and encourages you to keep doing well in your studies, especially on your friendships and loves your writings.

:cloud9: :HeartThrob:

Offline rosered

• Gold
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 05:28:56 AM »

Hiya!

You worry about some really silly stuff!

God wants you to be your best, that means studies, friendships and writing.

Nothing you said there takes away from God or the good that has been prepared for you!

God loves you and encourages you to keep doing well in your studies, especially on your friendships and loves your writings.

:cloud9: :HeartThrob:

I dont want to sound baiting Yung Yunni
  But   what  does heaven mean to you ?
  I hear this all the time and still have not   much in that area  except Paul
  says the Kingdom of God is  peace joy and the Holy Ghost

do I have  to go there [heaven]  or does it come unto me ?

Jesus spoke  here that when  the finger of God cast out  devils
  the 

Kingdom   has come  upon us  , but not yet whithin us ?

Luk 11:20 But if I with the finger of God cast out devils, no doubt the kingdom of God is come upon you.

yet Here we see Jesus say it is   the Kingdom of God and Kingdom of heaven are they one and the same ?

before He is speaking to the pharrisees
  but the verse  below its the disciples / students of the Word a warning  they  desire to see  the days of the son of man  and will not  see it  and warn them also not to go after  those who say they are following and seeing Him

And when he was demanded of the Pharisees, when the kingdom of God should come, he answered them and said, The kingdom of God comes not with observation:
 Luk 17:21 Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you.

And he said unto the disciples, The days will come, when ye shall desire to see one of the days of the Son of man, and ye shall not see [it].And they shall say to you, See here; or, see there: go not after [them], nor follow [them].

:HeartThrob:

YoungYuni

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 05:50:30 AM »
Hiya,

Well Jesus said we are to form friendships because that is the basis of our rewards in the kingdom of heaven.

I believe it is spiritual, and so it is not limited to this physical reality.

:2c:

Offline Brian

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2009, 06:12:14 AM »

It is by Grace that you are saved, not works. You are justified to enter the Kingdom through the atoning Blood of the Lamb.
Mainly focusing on my studies, friendships, and writing will not save or condemn you. What is your relationship with your Savior?
Do you believe in Him, trust Him and Love Him? Jesus does say that if you love Him you will obey His commandments. However, I don't think studying qualifies as breaking His commandments, unless maybe you're studying something satanic/anti-christ. I don't think writing qualifies as breaking His commandments, unless maybe you're writing something satanic/anti-christ. As for your friends, if they are of the world and leading you astray or causing you to stumble, that of course is a problem. But the Love of your Lord and Savior who shed His innocent Blood for you, to redeem and reconcile you, is bigger than your problems, shortcomings and mistakes. As I understand it, when we sincerely accept Jesus as our Lord and Savior and turn away from our sin, then we are Justified. Sanctification however, is an ongoing process. Why is it that you even care if you're doing enough for God? Could it be because you've been sealed by the Holy Spirit and therefore crave to do the will of God?
Wait upon the Lord, and He will guide you to where He wants you in due time.
God loves you just the way you are. He also loves you too much to let you stay that way. You will grow.
For it is for this we labor and strive, because we have fixed our hope on the living God, who is the Savior of all men, especially of believers. 1 Timothy 4:10

Andromeda_Organa

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2009, 03:16:54 PM »

It is by Grace that you are saved, not works. You are justified to enter the Kingdom through the atoning Blood of the Lamb.
Mainly focusing on my studies, friendships, and writing will not save or condemn you. What is your relationship with your Savior?
Do you believe in Him, trust Him and Love Him? Jesus does say that if you love Him you will obey His commandments. However, I don't think studying qualifies as breaking His commandments, unless maybe you're studying something satanic/anti-christ. I don't think writing qualifies as breaking His commandments, unless maybe you're writing something satanic/anti-christ. As for your friends, if they are of the world and leading you astray or causing you to stumble, that of course is a problem. But the Love of your Lord and Savior who shed His innocent Blood for you, to redeem and reconcile you, is bigger than your problems, shortcomings and mistakes. As I understand it, when we sincerely accept Jesus as our Lord and Savior and turn away from our sin, then we are Justified. Sanctification however, is an ongoing process. Why is it that you even care if you're doing enough for God? Could it be because you've been sealed by the Holy Spirit and therefore crave to do the will of God?
Wait upon the Lord, and He will guide you to where He wants you in due time.
God loves you just the way you are. He also loves you too much to let you stay that way. You will grow.
I'm studying three history courses right now. My writing is very unique- can't really be classified- but it's nothing satanic. I'd rather not write about my friends here, but I could send you a PM.

Offline Brian

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2009, 12:25:02 AM »
I'm studying three history courses right now. My writing is very unique- can't really be classified- but it's nothing satanic. I'd rather not write about my friends here, but I could send you a PM.

I was using hyperbole to make a point. We sometimes tend to unnecessarily and inaccurately vilify ourselves. This is the difference in being attacked and dragged down by the Adversary, and being inspired by the Holy Spirit. The Adversary will take advantage of your desire to do the will of God, by convincing you that you aren't cutting the mustard on your own. That way, you take your eyes off God and put them on yourself, seeing yourself in an unedifying way. You have a gift. You're a writer. God will grow you into using that gift to serve the Kingdom, if that's His will. You may have some other gift God wants to magnify, that you aren't even aware of yet.
For it is for this we labor and strive, because we have fixed our hope on the living God, who is the Savior of all men, especially of believers. 1 Timothy 4:10

Andromeda_Organa

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2009, 10:34:59 AM »

I was using hyperbole to make a point. We sometimes tend to unnecessarily and inaccurately vilify ourselves. This is the difference in being attacked and dragged down by the Adversary, and being inspired by the Holy Spirit. The Adversary will take advantage of your desire to do the will of God, by convincing you that you aren't cutting the mustard on your own. That way, you take your eyes off God and put them on yourself, seeing yourself in an unedifying way. You have a gift. You're a writer. God will grow you into using that gift to serve the Kingdom, if that's His will. You may have some other gift God wants to magnify, that you aren't even aware of yet.

Offline Cardinal

• < Moderator >
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2009, 04:37:41 PM »
 :cloud9: God doesn't care what you do (use common sense here) as long as you put Him first. If you put Him first, then the motive of the heart is dealt with in everything else. Blessings....
"I would rather train twenty men to pray, than a thousand to preach; A minister's highest mission ought to be to teach his people to pray." -H. MacGregor

Offline legoman

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2009, 05:30:17 PM »
I look at it this way.  God knew what you would be doing at every moment in your life before you even existed.  God declared it all (Isaiah 46:10-11).  Its all part of his plan.

So God has you right where he wants you at each moment in your life.  Even when you are not doing God's will, it was still part of his plan.  His plan involves setting people against his will so he can show them the truth (eventually) and turn them toward his will.

Romans 11:32 For God has bound all men over to disobedience so that he may have mercy on them all.

God has you exactly where he wants you whether you realize it or not - hopefully things will make more sense once you realize this.

Now regarding "getting into heaven" - there is nothing you can or cannot do that will affect whether you get into heaven.  Its already a done deal.  Jesus said "it is finished."  The entire work of salvation is of God, not of us.  Now don't get me wrong - you're not going to get into heaven if you have not been changed.  You can't just go around sinning all over the place and then expect to automatically get into heaven.  There will be a process.  There will be  trials, judgement, chastisement, and refinement that you have to go through.  But its all part of his plan.  God will bring about the change necessary for you to get to heaven.

It always gives me comfort when I remember that God has a reason for EVERYTHING that happens.

Cheers,
Legoman
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 05:33:30 PM by legoman »

ScarletWren

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2009, 08:03:32 PM »
Legoman,

:thumbsup:

Offline Brian

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2009, 07:42:57 AM »
:cloud9: God doesn't care what you do (use common sense here) as long as you put Him first. If you put Him first, then the motive of the heart is dealt with in everything else. Blessings....

Amen!

Paul Hazelwood

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2009, 07:54:25 PM »

I'd say if your not doing a lot of church stuff then that is in your favor.   ;)

martincisneros

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2009, 01:26:53 PM »
"Then they said unto Him, What shall we do that we might work the works of God? Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on Him whom He hath sent." --John 6:28, 29

25On one occasion an expert in the law stood up to test Jesus. "Teacher," he asked, "what must I do to inherit eternal life?"
26"What is written in the Law?" he replied. "How do you read it?"
27He answered: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'" 28"You have answered correctly," Jesus replied. "Do this and you will live." --Luke 10:25-28

38As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. 39She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord's feet listening to what he said. 40But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, "Lord, don't you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!"
41"Martha, Martha," the Lord answered, "you are worried and upset about many things, 42but only one thing is needed. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her." --Luke 10:38-42

12Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. 13Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. 14And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity. 15Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful. 16Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom, and as you sing psalms, hymns and spiritual songs with gratitude in your hearts to God. 17And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him. --Colossians 3:12-17

6So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in him, 7rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness. --Colossians 2:6-7

1Finally, brothers, we instructed you how to live in order to please God, as in fact you are living. Now we ask you and urge you in the Lord Jesus to do this more and more. 2For you know what instructions we gave you by the authority of the Lord Jesus. 3It is God's will that you should be sanctified: that you should avoid sexual immorality; 4that each of you should learn to control his own body in a way that is holy and honorable, 5not in passionate lust like the heathen, who do not know God; 6and that in this matter no one should wrong his brother or take advantage of him. The Lord will punish men for all such sins, as we have already told you and warned you. 7For God did not call us to be impure, but to live a holy life. 8Therefore, he who rejects this instruction does not reject man but God, who gives you his Holy Spirit. --1Thessalonians 4:1-8

19"It is my judgment, therefore, that we should not make it difficult for the Gentiles who are turning to God. 20Instead we should write to them, telling them to abstain from food polluted by idols, from sexual immorality, from the meat of strangled animals and from blood. 21For Moses has been preached in every city from the earliest times and is read in the synagogues on every Sabbath." --Acts 15:19-21

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2009, 01:59:56 PM »
What does love your neigbour actually mean?
Just care (mentally) for your neigbour.
Or also helping out financially?
Isn't that 'works'?

When I leave a shop I always give all the coins I have in my wallet to the homeless that hang out there.
(I hate coins)
Is that 'love your neighbour' or is that 'works' ?
1 Timothy 2:3-4  ...God our Savior;  Who will have all men to be saved...
John 12:47  And if any man hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world.
Romans 4:5 But to the one who does not work, but believes in the one who declares the ungodly righteous ...

martincisneros

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2009, 02:22:37 PM »
It says in the book of Titus that the grace of God that teaches us to deny all ungodliness teaches us to do good works, so it's actually God's grace when we're taking care of our neighbors and it's one more nudge towards having a better world.  The book of James in the New Testament says that to just bless them that they'd be warmed and filled and to not care for their needs isn't very helpful/beneficial/loving.  1John says to not love in only words but in deeds and in truth.  The important thing in loving your neighbor as yourself is to get as close to God as you possibly can because 1John also says that God's commands aren't burdensome or grievious. 

Because if you think that you're never doing anything for your neighbors without caring for their every need, then you can run yourself ragged and into the soup line at the local shelter if your own needs go into neglect while you're caring for others.  2Corinthians 9 and I'm thinking it's Titus 2 are important passages that our care for others is in proportion to God's grace that's at work in our lives as we yield our lives more fully to Him and as 2Corinthians 8 says to make sure that we grow in this grace as well.  There's always the questions that arise in many people's minds that do all that they can for the poor as to whether someone's actually going and getting food or hiding enough money to get themselves off of the streets someday, etc., or whether you're just feeding cigarette, alcohol, and drug addictions. 

But when you're developing both a caring and a hearing ear towards the Holy Spirit as much as towards the people that you come into contact with, then He'll tell you when not to chip in to help them.  And you really have to cast the care of why you might not feel good about helping out in certain situations.  Either God's wanting them to lean more upon Him than upon random handouts, or He wants to direct someone else's seed into their lives, etc.  It says in Corinthians that one plants, another waters, but God gives the harvest.  Sometimes He'll honestly want someone else to deal with a situation, but if we feel no sense of being restrained from doing all that we can, then we should do all that we can.  But sometimes as you're drawing closer to God you might have times where you start feeling bad about helping in a situation and then you feel bad about feeling bad about helping 'cause you don't know what's going on in your heart. 

If a sparrow doesn't fall to the ground without His notice then neither does a seed and you've just got to trust that as His Word and grace are multiplying in your life that the more that you care to do, will become all the more fruitful in the lives of others and in your own life in being a part of how God equips you to help even more people beyond that.  It's not "works" in the sense of trying to do it to win righteousness with God if you're aware that Christ is your righteousness and you're simply trying to do what you feel He would do in the situation since 2Corinthians 5 calls us His Ambassadors and Colossians 3:17 says to go ahead and act in His Name.

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2009, 06:35:47 PM »
Martin,

The last paragraph is what is so hard for me. Theorectically I understand it fairly well. But to put int practice....
I hang out a lot here. Maybe even the top 5%. But my religious level surely is in the lower 5%.
You say it's not works if you are an ambasador of Christ. But how can I be that when I'm in the lower 5%?
I gave to charity before I ever opened a Bible. But nowadays I start to wonder:
Am I giving because it seems right like it always did? Or am I doing works to collect spiritual brownie points?
I think it's a mix of both. But I fear there is no spiritual part in the mix.
1 Timothy 2:3-4  ...God our Savior;  Who will have all men to be saved...
John 12:47  And if any man hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world.
Romans 4:5 But to the one who does not work, but believes in the one who declares the ungodly righteous ...