Author Topic: Happy in heaven?  (Read 833 times)

Offline Lonely Summer

• Full
Happy in heaven?
« on: February 27, 2011, 10:06:05 AM »
Back in my fundamentalist days, one thing often bothered me: assuming I got to heaven someday, how could I truly be at peace, knowing that most of my friends and family members would not be joining me there? Yes, we will be with the Lord in all His glory, and I know there's no way my puny little brain can comprehend what that will be like...but still, I just had this image in my mind of heaven being a very sad place with so many of our loved ones burning in torment forever. How could it be that God is less forgiving of people than I am? Visiting this site has been a real eye opener. The perspectives on faith, God and the Bible expressed here are still new to me, the baggage of the old ways is still with me to some degree, but I sure feel better knowing that the Lord will reveal Himself to all someday. EVERY knee shall bow, EVERY tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord. Awesome!

pilgrim1

Re: Happy in heaven?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 01:41:39 PM »
Good to meet you 'LS'.
This was definitely one of the big issues for me too. I remember hearing the famous Calvinist RC Sproul quoting and endorsing his old tutor who said that when we are 'glorified' we might see our own mother in the fires of hell and rejoice at the sight and that God's name is being vindicated.
The only conclusion I could reach is that he and I serve two very different Gods.

Blessings

Offline shawn

• Bronze
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 03:30:01 PM »
Welcome, it's great to have a fellow searcher of truth here.  Your story is a common one.  I was indoctrinated with Calvinist predestined for hellfire teachings since I was very young.  Those shackles seem easier to break for some than others.  When I first heard of UR, it was like a weight was lifted from my chest and for the first time my faith made sense.  Something confirmed in my spirit as a small child was being confirmed intellectually.  I just never could believe in God eternally burning or even seperating much of his creation.  I think you will find some very valuable information that will help lead your spirit to truth.  We are glad to have you here.

Offline Lonely Summer

• Full
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 10:49:30 PM »
Thank you for your responses. The next time some fundamentalist wants to argue with me, I'll direct them to this site. Fundamentalism, though, requires that one NOT keep an open mind - so I don't expect them to wake up overnight, but at least the seed can be planted.

Offline Lefein

• Bronze
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 07:03:38 AM »
The worst crime of Eternal Damnation - is that God himself would be unhappy in his very own home; Heaven would be miserable, or else miserably heavenly.
CLV: Proverbs 10:12 Hatred, it rouses up quarrels, Yet love covers over all transgressions.
KJV: Proverbs 10:12 Hatred stirreth up strifes: but love covereth all sins.

Offline Lonely Summer

• Full
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 08:38:55 AM »
Yeah, I agree with that. Imagine I had children of my own, and because some of them had issues with me, I banished them from my home, not just for a few years or a couple decades, but for eternity. What kind of Father would do that?