Author Topic: guestion about Isa. 54  (Read 725 times)

Offline Deena

• Est
guestion about Isa. 54
« on: August 17, 2012, 12:35:06 AM »
Could this chapter be talking of the promises to believers in the next age? The wife forsaken and refused seems to tie in with our present state of bondage to futility, but then God says this will be short term, and we will be restored to our Maker, our Husband. Am I reading this correctly?

Offline redhotmagma

• Bronze
Re: guestion about Isa. 54
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 12:45:30 AM »
Deena this is for people in this age too IMO.

21Tell me, you who want to be under law, do you not listen to the law? 22For it is written that Abraham had two sons, one by the bondwoman and one by the free woman. 23But the son by the bondwoman was born according to the flesh, and the son by the free woman through the promise. 24This is allegorically speaking, for these women are two covenants: one proceeding from Mount Sinai bearing children who are to be slaves; she is Hagar. 25Now this Hagar is Mount Sinai in Arabia and corresponds to the present Jerusalem, for she is in slavery with her children. 26But the Jerusalem above is free; she is our mother.

27For it is written,
         "REJOICE, BARREN WOMAN WHO DOES NOT BEAR;
         BREAK FORTH AND SHOUT, YOU WHO ARE NOT IN LABOR;
         FOR MORE NUMEROUS ARE THE CHILDREN OF THE DESOLATE
         THAN OF THE ONE WHO HAS A HUSBAND."

28And you brethren, like Isaac, are children of promise. 29But as at that time he who was born according to the flesh persecuted him who was born according to the Spirit, so it is now also.

30But what does the Scripture say?
         "CAST OUT THE BONDWOMAN AND HER SON,
         FOR THE SON OF THE BONDWOMAN SHALL NOT BE AN HEIR WITH THE SON OF THE FREE WOMAN."

31So then, brethren, we are not children of a bondwoman, but of the free woman.

goodreport

Re: guestion about Isa. 54
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 02:45:58 AM »
Could this chapter be talking of the promises to believers in the next age? The wife forsaken and refused seems to tie in with our present state of bondage to futility, but then God says this will be short term, and we will be restored to our Maker, our Husband. Am I reading this correctly?

Just some thoughts (not really opinions)

I think the "ages" has reference to what MANKIND is going through...

I think that individuals go through the same experiences; one may be experiencing great futility while another at the same time may-- by God's great mercy, kindness, (Isa 54:7-8), grace, gift of faith  be experiencing great peace.  (Isa 54:10-13).

I think that MANKIND is currently going through great futility... and yet there are individuals who are experiencing great peace... 

The lyrics from I KNOW WHOM I HAVE BELIEVED have been on my mind and heart a lot---

Stanza 2 and 3

I know not how this saving faith
To me He did impart,
Nor how believing in His Word
Wrought peace within my heart.

I know not how the Spirit moves,
Convincing us of sin,
Revealing Jesus through the Word,
Creating faith in Him.

Isaiah 55:11
So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void. BUT IT SHALL ACCOMPLISH THAT WHICH I PLEASE, AND IT SHALL PROSPER IN THE THING WHERETO I SENT IT.

One thing I have learned... He remains faithful to His Word... even when I have wandered far from Him or when circumstances (not always of my own making) bring great pain, struggles...