Author Topic: God's Will?  (Read 683 times)

Offline jabcat

• Admin
  • SINNER SAVED BY GRACE
God's Will?
« on: September 10, 2011, 08:05:22 PM »
Can we discuss this without it becoming a debate over freewill/sovereignty - at least by staying away from those terms and just arguing over them?  If not, I'll need to lock the thread.  If we can stick to scriptures, our experiences, revelations/insights, without just directly debating the fw/sov terms, there may be some things to learn and benefit from.

The following are 2 comments following a story on Fox News about a Mississippi High School football player tragically, inexplicably falling down dead on the football field;

"This was gods plan. God wanted this to happen, don't try to understand....as mere mortals we cannot possibly begin to understand the wisdom of gods will."
 --------------------

"The bible clearly states god has very little to do with day to day stuff on this earth!! Remember he says "satan blows in the wind on earth"..Kind of silly to think god is watching over every little thing..Can he ,yes he can if he wants,will he yes he will and does sometimes when he sees fit.But it's silly to think that god has his eye on everyone all the time!! Get real!"

Let's think about our approach, and please enter with care  (  :~  james tiptoeing)

Neither should there be vulgar speech, foolish talk, or coarse jesting--all of which are out of character--but rather thanksgiving.  Eph. 5:4  **  Saved 1John 3.2, Eph. 2:8, John 1:12 - Being saved 2Cor. 4:16 2Peter 3:18 - Will be saved 1Peter 1:5 Romans 8:23

Offline jabcat

• Admin
  • SINNER SAVED BY GRACE
Re: God's Will?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 08:14:01 PM »
Let me sort of short-circuit the fw/sov debate potential here.  I think all of us would in some respect to some degree say that God is in control and in the end, He will win.  I think the questions here are along the lines of what may be called "God's express (active) will" vs. "God's allowed will"... what's His role?

I think most of us know many of the various scriptures and many of "THE arguments".  But in a fresh, edifying way, where the rubber hits the road, how do you believe that plays out?

Does that make sense?  Can we go with that?

[Gee, I'm not sure we'll be able to discuss this.  I may have stepped on a land mine.  Oh well, if I have, it can quickly be fixed :o]
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 08:37:14 PM by jabcat »
Neither should there be vulgar speech, foolish talk, or coarse jesting--all of which are out of character--but rather thanksgiving.  Eph. 5:4  **  Saved 1John 3.2, Eph. 2:8, John 1:12 - Being saved 2Cor. 4:16 2Peter 3:18 - Will be saved 1Peter 1:5 Romans 8:23

Offline micah7:9

• Gold
  • Mic 7:8 Thou dost not rejoice over me, O mine ene
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2011, 09:09:43 PM »
Gee......I KNOW I can't discuss this! :bigGrin: :sigh: :msealed: :mshock: :HeartThrob: :cloud9: :dsunny: :laughing7:
Mic 7:8  Thou dost not rejoice over me, O mine enemy, When I have fallen, I have risen, When I sit in darkness Jehovah is a light to me.

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2011, 09:25:27 PM »
"In his heart a man plans his course, but the LORD determines his steps."

I think that verse is a good summary.

If God has a plan other than waiting for random events to occur either He must interfere sometimes (as He did in the OT imo)
But otoh it also means it's not total control.
If we are all remote controled robots with God holding the remote control how can He ever be happy or angry with the good or bad things those robots did?
How could He ever punish a robot for walking to the left if He Himself pushed the "turn left" button on His remote?
1 Timothy 2:3-4  ...God our Savior;  Who will have all men to be saved...
John 12:47  And if any man hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world.
Romans 4:5 But to the one who does not work, but believes in the one who declares the ungodly righteous ...

Offline sheila

• Gold
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2011, 09:31:22 PM »
     He states through the prophet  'I KILL AND I MAKE ALIVE"   personally...only He knows when He has endured with much long-suffering the vessel

of wrath fitted for destruction.[this body of death that Paul's spirit cried out for release from];.takes a rod of iron to it...

..in order to show His mercy to....a vessel of mercy prepared for mercy[humble contrite spirit].UPWARD CALL

my pov

• Gold
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2011, 10:29:45 PM »
I really thought I would stay away from this, but that word..... :sigh:

I despise the word robot!!!!! That is what people who have no depth come up with. Stupid.

Jer 18:4 and marred is the vessel that he is making, as clay in the hand of the potter, and he has turned and he makes it another vessel, as it was right in the eyes of the potter to make."
Jer 18:5 And there is a word of Yahweh to me, saying:"
Jer 18:6 As this potter am I not able to do to you? O house of Israel, an affirmation of Yahweh. Lo, as clay in the hand of the potter, So [are] you in My hand, O house of Israel."

Rom 9:19  Thou wilt say, then, to me, `Why yet doth He find fault? for His counsel who hath resisted?'
Rom 9:20  nay, but, O man, who art thou that art answering again to God? shall the thing formed say to Him who did form it , Why me didst thou make thus?
Rom 9:21  hath not the potter authority over the clay, out of the same lump to make the one vessel to honour, and the one to dishonour?
Rom 9:22  And if God, willing to shew the wrath and to make known His power, did endure, in much long suffering, vessels of wrath fitted for destruction,
Rom 9:23  and that He might make known the riches of His glory on vessels of kindness, that He before prepared for glory, whom also He did call--us--
Rom 9:24  not only out of Jews, but also out of nations,

Mic 7:8  Thou dost not rejoice over me, O mine enemy, When I have fallen, I have risen, When I sit in darkness Jehovah is a light to me.

Offline CHB

• Silver
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2011, 05:26:29 AM »
Before Jesus ,the world is being controlled by a physical force which God was in control of. After Jesus the world is being controlled by a spiritual force which God is in control of.

If one asks oneself if there is anything that can be done outside of the will of God then you have your answer as to whether God is in control. If everything that is done is within God's will how can he NOT be in control of ALL THINGS?

CHB

• Gold
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2011, 05:38:59 AM »
"Before Jesus ,the world is being controlled by a physical force which God was in control of." CHB

I believe that you meant to say something different, the reason is, Joh 4:24 God is spirit,...."

God may have used the "a physical force," but it was spirit that originated that physical force.

Peace and Love :HeartThrob:

Offline CHB

• Silver
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2011, 05:42:06 AM »
Thanks Micah, what I was thinking of was works and laws when I mentioned physical.

CHB

• Gold
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2011, 06:19:45 AM »
Thanks Micah, what I was thinking of was works and laws when I mentioned physical.

CHB

Gotcha! :bigGrin: