Author Topic: God's humor...  (Read 908 times)

Syndicated

God's humor...
« on: April 30, 2010, 08:00:13 PM »
I'm curious... Does God have a sense of humor?  I know that everyone finds humor in different things, but do you think God would laugh at the same things we laugh at?  Does God even laugh?

Offline Cardinal

• < Moderator >
Re: God's humor...
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 08:18:47 PM »
 :cloud9: Yes He does......
"I would rather train twenty men to pray, than a thousand to preach; A minister's highest mission ought to be to teach his people to pray." -H. MacGregor

Paul Hazelwood

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 08:38:04 PM »

I used to have the idea that when I got to heaven Jesus would ask me to pull his finger and that's what thunder is.    :icon_jokercolor:

Offline Beloved Servant

• Gold
  • David's sling
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 09:35:47 PM »

Curious to know if there are instances of deliberate humor in the Bible.
I've have seen irony, as His ways are not ours.
But humor, I supposed, was perverted joy brought down to it's basest level. 

Peacemaker wrote this yesterday: "Blessed are the flexible, for they shall not be bent out of shape."
Now I thought that was very funny, but there is an ironic lesson in his words.

Syndicated

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 10:59:52 PM »

Curious to know if there are instances of deliberate humor in the Bible.
I've have seen irony, as His ways are not ours.
But humor, I supposed, was perverted joy brought down to it's basest level.

I've often wondered about the innocence of a toddler Jesus learning basic mobility function, playing with toys, if He ever said anything that was hilarious such as an innocent toddler might today when asking questions (I have a niece who used to think that my sister was feeding her baby through her finger when nursing), if He ever mixed up his letters when starting to speak and created funny words (one niece used to call lipstick 'lisstip'), but I guess since none of the apostles were play buddies with Jesus (that I know about anyway) or shared any personal 'growing up' experiences in the bible, that's something I guess we won't know.

I personally would like to think God would laugh at the 'you have something on your shirt' - finger-to-the-nose trick.

Offline Dallas

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2010, 02:16:15 AM »
When you consider the covenant of circumsicion....absolutley!!!

For we all know what circumscion is and God says....Genesis 17:14"But an uncircumcised male who is not circumcised in the flesh of his foreskin, that person shall be cut off from his people; he has broken My covenant."

Offline Nancy

• Snr
Hey Dallas do you mind!
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2010, 12:21:01 AM »
hi there,
Dallas my husband is circumcised by the way! The medical profession even said that women whose husbands are circumcised (they probably did a survey on Jewish/Muslim women) are less likely to get cervical cancers, so there!

Godbless
Nancy

Offline Nathan

• Gold
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2010, 01:46:35 AM »
Everytime I look in the mirror, I'm reminded of God's sense of humor.

Humor is an extention of happiness.  Comedians are those who cultivate humor.  Sadly, many of them become crude and still get many laughs, but the crudeness seems to override the happiness. 

But yeah, I think God loves humor in us.  It's yet another part of his nature manifesting in us.  We can pervert it into something else, but ALL good things come from above, and I see humor plays a huge role in that. 

If it doesn't then I'm in a heap of trouble.  There isn't a day that goes by where I'm not making an attempt at making someone laugh on one level or another.

Offline Dallas

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2010, 03:10:19 AM »
hi there,
Dallas my husband is circumcised by the way! The medical profession even said that women whose husbands are circumcised (they probably did a survey on Jewish/Muslim women) are less likely to get cervical cancers, so there!

Godbless
Nancy

:dunno: :dontknow:

Not sure what that has to do with the joke?

Offline reFORMer

• < Moderator >
  • Psalm 133
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2010, 05:40:55 AM »
While I haven't read it yet, there is a book titled, The Bible and the Comic Vision by J. William Whedbee. It was first published by Cambridge University Press, 1998, then this paperback is by Fortress Press which was on clearance sale at 1-800-CHRISTIAN www.christianbook.com It only examines the Hebrew Bible.
I went to church; but, the Church wasn't on the program!  JESUS WANTS HIS BODY BACK!!  MEET WITHOUT HUMAN HEADSHIP!!!