Author Topic: Eng and Chang Bunker  (Read 829 times)

Offline fire walker

Eng and Chang Bunker
« on: November 29, 2007, 09:47:08 PM »
Amoung personal studies I've studied about conjoined twins and the various things they've been subjected to by the Churches
and society in general, "some have said why bother to study such a thing" while others have said "it was a very deep and interesting
subject to study"

Eng and Chang were born in Siam, there mother refused permission to doctors to seperate the boys because of a desire not to see one or both of them die in the process, she instead taught the boys to stretch the muscles that joined them so they could stand side by side instead of face
to face and this the boys succeeded and acomplished ( that had to have been of faith)

At 17 years old they toured the USA and then Europe sponcered by a Scottish man who had discovered the boys while visiting Siam and became friends of their family, he did not force the boys or the mother into letting the twins to go traveling abroad, the twins desired to go and the mother was in agreement as well.

In 1839 they decided to settle in North Carolina and become farmers, they became US citizens after adopting a last name of Bunker, for legal purposes a last name was required to getting citizenship.

They began to date two girls Adeliade and Sarah Yates daughters of a local pastor in one of the churches. Eventually they decided to marry and though the father of the daughters agreed the Church disaproved and said that unless these twins were seperated the marriage would be in sin and the church members made  and pressured the twins to make arrangements to be seperated so the brothers sought to please those that would prevent the marriage ( appears a lot like many of the corporate churches today proposing what others should do before they have union in marriage,, this is of the same spirit Peter was with when asking Jesus what this man should do regarding John, Jusus in his answer rebuked Peter for this)

Anyway when the two daughters heard of it they soon had an end put to the churches and towns people of meddling and intruding into the personal affairs of others by exhorting the brothers not to be seperated just because gossiping folks didn't approve, after that was behind them in 1843 they married, Chang to Adiliade and Eng to Sarah Ann. Between Chang and Eng they fathered 22 children, 10 were Changs children and 12 were engs children.

Very helpul in pointing to the fact that Gods will is not bound by the religious plans and devices of men.

peace,
Fire Walker
« Last Edit: November 30, 2007, 03:05:06 AM by fire walker »
If in this life only we have hope in Christ we are of all men most miserable.

1Cr 14:19

Offline hopeful

• Bronze
  • He was there!
    • To Know Him More
Re: Eng and Chang Bunker
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2007, 01:45:11 AM »
I read a biography about these guys.  Fascinating!
You're welcome to visit http://toknowhimmore.blogspot.com/

Offline Cardinal

• < Moderator >
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2007, 03:02:39 AM »
 :cloud9: That is amazing. My heart goes out to those born in this way, every time I see something about them on the Discovery Channel or what not. Blessings to you......
"I would rather train twenty men to pray, than a thousand to preach; A minister's highest mission ought to be to teach his people to pray." -H. MacGregor

Hennessey

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2007, 06:00:48 PM »
Wonderful and interesting story Fire and well written.
I hope you don't mind if I used it on my blog to make a point. I will send you the link.

Thanks,

Jack