Author Topic: Do UR believers go to church?  (Read 5199 times)

Online eaglesway

• < Moderator >
  • Grace & Peace be multiplied unto you, in Jesus
    • Hell is a Myth.com
Re: Do UR believers go to church?
« Reply #50 on: September 09, 2012, 04:40:19 AM »
LD makes some very astute observations. I enjoy her posts, even when I disagree with them- as with many of my friends(I hope :o) here on Tentmaker.
The Logos is complete, but it is not completely understood. hellisamyth.webs.com

Offline shawn

• Bronze
« Reply #51 on: September 09, 2012, 05:10:22 AM »

I can honestly say that I am very glad that I am a recovering drug addict and alcoholic.  There are many reasons including the one you listed above.  I like the fact that it makes me sensitive to the cries of other addicts.  My story comforts those who are suffering.  I found a new understanding of God's love for mankind as a direct result of my recovery.  God turned what satan meant for my destruction into my life's work...my calling.  Also, so many people go around with these feelings of being defective, insufficient etc...and they never figure out what is wrong...spiritually bankrupt and don't know where to go, what to do...have zero insight into themselves.  Recovery not only changed that for me, but for my entire family.  My wife is in recovery from co-dependence and also works with me helping addicts and families of addicts.  God used something dark, and destructive that I had done to myself an turned it into something beautiful.  And for that I give Him the glory...the thanks...and my gratitude.

Shawn, your phrase "...feelings of being defective, insufficient..." took me back some years to a time when I was beginning to face some negative issues in my own life.  I prayed about it, and while still praying, I saw in my mind's eye a vast field strewn with potsherds.  Some were very pretty with colored glazes and/or incised designs, and some were very plain.  I knew that each shard represented a human being, and that my shard was among them.  The lesson for me in that vision was that some are more beautiful, but WE ARE ALL BROKEN.  It was not the answer I wanted, but I believed it, and still do.

I must have forgotten to respond to this...my apologies.  That vision is beautiful and profound.  It certainly beats my crude way of saying...welp guys...gals...we addicts and alcoholics don't have the monopoly on crazy :). Yes, we are all indeed broken...and the solace comes when people openly share their brokenness with others.

Offline Deena

• Est
« Reply #52 on: September 09, 2012, 03:48:49 PM »
There are so few people and places that one can reveal personal brokenness. That kind of fellowship is what I'm looking for, but you don"t exactly find it in the yellow pages.

Offline lomarah

• Silver
« Reply #53 on: September 09, 2012, 03:53:23 PM »
That is so true Deena.
From Him and through Him and to Him are all things.

Offline shawn

• Bronze
« Reply #54 on: September 09, 2012, 08:52:14 PM »
There are so few people and places that one can reveal personal brokenness. That kind of fellowship is what I'm looking for, but you don"t exactly find it in the yellow pages.

You are very right.  What I have noticed is that environment can be created.  When I first visited my current place of employment, I was set back by something unique.  People were open about their struggles, and defects of character.  They were able to laugh at themselves, forgive themselves and be open to, listening to others without judgment.  These are healthiest bunch of crazy people I have ever met.  I don't know about you all, but I ache for that.  There is something about bringing our struggles to light...dragging them out of the closet...and trusting other human beings with our secrets...taking the mask off.  There is healing there.  I truly believe God uses the open honest fellowship of broken people as a vehicle for healing.

Online eaglesway

• < Moderator >
    • Hell is a Myth.com
« Reply #55 on: September 10, 2012, 06:00:25 PM »
Jas 5:16  Therefore, confess your sins to one another, and pray for one another so that you may be healed.
The Logos is complete, but it is not completely understood. hellisamyth.webs.com

Offline gasman

• Reg
« Reply #56 on: September 19, 2012, 11:07:09 AM »
Am I right in assuming that most of you don't have anyone of similiar belief to fellowship with in person?

I am in a blessed place to be a part of a home group that meets fortnightly. It has really helped define my beliefs. I really appreciate the back and forth of ideas and scriptures rather than just listening to the sound of my own voice echoing round in my head. It really helps to sort my thoughts out by just the simple task of sharing them with another person who shares my faith. I walked away from my old church life, but I thank God daily that I do have fellowship. I believe we really need it to be perfected.
If I could encourage those of you who are considering to reach out to someone, please do so. It will make your walk richer. We weren't made to walk alone.

Online eaglesway

• < Moderator >
    • Hell is a Myth.com
« Reply #57 on: September 19, 2012, 10:33:12 PM »
I have several people I can fellowship with in person having also the understanding of UR. It is a definite blessing.