Author Topic: Different christian forums - Different views  (Read 1359 times)

rasputinslaw

Different christian forums - Different views
« on: February 27, 2011, 11:03:10 PM »
Seems to me the long i am a christian the more i realize that christianity is full of people with different views and beliefs.

I am part of a number of forums, some are specific in saying they are christian, some seem more general talking about God for instance

inthepursuitofgod.com/forum - General doesnt appear to promote any one religion
christianforums.com - die hard christian forum
faith.com - varied again

So what is the deal here? I thought christianity was meant to be true, why is it such a mixed bag?

Offline redhotmagma

• < Moderator >
Re: Different christian forums - Different views
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 11:31:51 PM »
This site is about Universal Restoration (if that was the question you were asking)

If you were saying whats the deal here?  in general relating to the fracturedness of christianity, then:

People come from a huge variety of backgrounds and biases are built/trained/learned as we grow and develop our worldview.  God is infinite, and the Bible is extremely complex with many layers of detail built in.  We as humans categorize as a way to better understand our world, ie stereotypes.  Its much easier to categorize than fully think out every thing we come into contact with.  If we didn't we'd probably not be able to walk out the door in the morning because of the vast amount of information we come in contact with.  Think of an older computer running too many programs on it, and it locks up.

Well we try and do the same thing with God and His written word.  We try to put Him into our box (worldview) to make it easier to understand.  This leads to different denominations, sects, websites etc. 

By the way this is one of the lines of thought that confirms Universalism to me, our finiteness compared to Gods infiniteness.

Offline thinktank

• Silver
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 12:05:02 AM »
That's a great explanation Redmagma  :bigGrin: 

:thumbsup:

Offline jabcat

• Admin
  • SINNER SAVED BY GRACE
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 12:52:27 AM »
It's a good question (and yes, good answer rhm).  I like Gary Amirault's statement that this particular age (the "church" age) is mixed with truth and error.  It's the truth we need to pray for, be open to, ask God to give us.  Since we're all human and prone to error, I believe it's a good reason to always be aware that we only see and know in part, through a glass darkly.  Many have pieces of the big picture, we need to pray for discernment so we're not led astray.   I personally believe it's all part of God's plan, bringing mankind to where He wants us - which involves mistakes, stumbling, and always a need to "look to Jesus, the Author and Finisher of our faith" (Heb. 12:2).
Neither should there be vulgar speech, foolish talk, or coarse jesting--all of which are out of character--but rather thanksgiving.  Eph. 5:4  **  Saved 1John 3.2, Eph. 2:8, John 1:12 - Being saved 2Cor. 4:16 2Peter 3:18 - Will be saved 1Peter 1:5 Romans 8:23

rasputinslaw

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 08:23:11 PM »
It's a good question (and yes, good answer rhm).  I like Gary Amirault's statement that this particular age (the "church" age) is mixed with truth and error.  It's the truth we need to pray for, be open to, ask God to give us.  Since we're all human and prone to error, I believe it's a good reason to always be aware that we only see and know in part, through a glass darkly.  Many have pieces of the big picture, we need to pray for discernment so we're not led astray.   I personally believe it's all part of God's plan, bringing mankind to where He wants us - which involves mistakes, stumbling, and always a need to "look to Jesus, the Author and Finisher of our faith" (Heb. 12:2).

Problem is Truth might not appear to you as you think it should. There in is the problem!

The truth might be the complete opposite of what you believe now. Could you handle that?

Offline CHB

• Silver
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 08:43:08 PM »

Problem is Truth might not appear to you as you think it should. There in is the problem!

The truth might be the complete opposite of what you believe now. Could you handle that?

Hi,

Well, that is where we have our truth and error as Jabcat pointed out. I don't believe one person on this earth has all the truth. Everyone has some of the truth. I believe this is in God's plan. I have learned so much from different sources. I think we have to look in different places to build our knowledge. Dan. 12 comes to mind. When Daniel said that in the end people would run to and fro and knowledge would be increased, I think he meant we would be searching for the truth in many different places to increase our knowledge.

chb

Offline jabcat

• Admin
  • SINNER SAVED BY GRACE
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 10:13:04 PM »

Me specifically, mankind in general, this site in general...?  What do you believe about the ultimate salvation of all?
Neither should there be vulgar speech, foolish talk, or coarse jesting--all of which are out of character--but rather thanksgiving.  Eph. 5:4  **  Saved 1John 3.2, Eph. 2:8, John 1:12 - Being saved 2Cor. 4:16 2Peter 3:18 - Will be saved 1Peter 1:5 Romans 8:23

Offline legoman

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2011, 10:42:18 PM »
I think the fact that there is so many confusing and opposing views out there, is another confirmation for me that universal salvation is the truth.

If our eternal destinies really were dependent on choosing or picking the right belief system, you would think it would all be a lot clearer in the bible (or wherever) so that it would be painfully obvious.  Yet we have these 1000 different denominations that all sort of believe the same thing (believe in Christ or go to hell), but when you get right down to the details, they all disagree on what will send you to hell - to the point where one group thinks another is going to hell and vice versa.  The Christians believe the Muslims are going to hell, and the Muslims believe the Christians are going to hell, and they both think the atheists go to hell while the atheists think everyone else is just nuts, and everyone (except the athiests) think the universalists are going to hell.  So I guess everyone is going to hell or just nuts?

When it gets to that point - it becomes apparent that no one has it right - so is everyone going to hell (because they all have it wrong) - or is there something bigger going on? ie. universal salvation

Offline Cardinal

• < Moderator >
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2011, 12:37:13 AM »

:cloud9: Ain't THAT the truth...... :winkgrin: :laughing7:
"I would rather train twenty men to pray, than a thousand to preach; A minister's highest mission ought to be to teach his people to pray." -H. MacGregor

Offline thinktank

• Silver
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2011, 12:46:29 AM »
"what is truth"

Pontius pilate

Notice Jesus did not answer him. Unless one has the stability and faith to believe that truth does exist, then, you will be going around in circles.

Offline jabcat

• Admin
  • SINNER SAVED BY GRACE
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2011, 12:52:34 AM »
"what is truth"

Pontius pilate

Notice Jesus did not answer him. Unless one has the stability and faith to believe that truth does exist, then, you will be going around in circles.

:first:

pilgrim1

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2011, 06:48:16 PM »
"what is truth"

Pontius pilate

Jesus is the Truth. But that only rephrases the question. It may take us a lifetime and more to discover the real Jesus. Can we find Him in the Bible? Only if our eyes are open to see Him.

Just my 2c

Offline micah7:9

• Gold
  • Mic 7:8 Thou dost not rejoice over me, O mine ene
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2011, 01:36:05 AM »
"what is truth"

Pontius pilate

Just curious, (what book and verse I looked in all four) and cant find the question. Please. thank you.
Mic 7:8  Thou dost not rejoice over me, O mine enemy, When I have fallen, I have risen, When I sit in darkness Jehovah is a light to me.

Offline thinktank

• Silver
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2011, 01:48:01 AM »
John 18:38   Pilate saith unto him, What is truth? And when he had said this, he went out again unto the Jews, and saith unto them, I find in him no fault at all.

Offline micah7:9

• Gold
  • Mic 7:8 Thou dost not rejoice over me, O mine ene
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2011, 02:45:03 AM »
John 18:38   Pilate saith unto him, What is truth? And when he had said this, he went out again unto the Jews, and saith unto them, I find in him no fault at all.

Thank you, I did not see that. And that is an amen for you reply, very good, Great! :bigGrin:
Mic 7:8  Thou dost not rejoice over me, O mine enemy, When I have fallen, I have risen, When I sit in darkness Jehovah is a light to me.