Author Topic: Christchurch Earthquake  (Read 980 times)

junkbunny

Christchurch Earthquake
« on: February 24, 2011, 10:28:38 PM »
removed
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 10:49:40 PM by junkbunny »

Offline Truthseeker

• Full
Re: Christchurch Earthquake
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 11:09:41 PM »
also removed
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 07:31:51 AM by Truthseeker »

Offline Nancy

• Snr
We cannot possibly know..........
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 11:22:19 PM »
Hi there Junkbunny,

I know it is troubling when people seem to die for no reason but really how can we with our finite minds have any idea of the plan unfolding in the universe that God has set.

Maybe there is such a thing as reincarnation and these people had to experience death in this way.

I really believe that what may seem like an awful death to us, on another level, it is a 'good death' and right for that person.

I don't believe that we ever die, whether it's reincarnation or staying in the spirit realm.  Of course we mourn our loved ones, but we have to trust that God has got it in hand and that He is Good.

Godbless
Nancy

Offline shawn

• Bronze
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 11:42:50 PM »
First, I want to express my sorrow over the situation in New Zealand.  I understand how tragedy can bring up painful questions especially in light of such an awful catastrophy.  Is this situation a judgment from God?  I don't know how any of us could answer that honestly.  I will say though that these verse came to my mind.

John chapter 9 in the Message translation

1-2 Walking down the street, Jesus saw a man blind from birth. His disciples asked, "Rabbi, who sinned: this man or his parents, causing him to be born blind?" 3-5Jesus said, "You're asking the wrong question. You're looking for someone to blame. There is no such cause-effect here. Look instead for what God can do. We need to be energetically at work for the One who sent me here, working while the sun shines. When night falls, the workday is over. For as long as I am in the world, there is plenty of light. I am the world's Light."

In the NIV

1 As he went along, he saw a man blind from birth. 2 His disciples asked him, "Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?"
   3 "Neither this man nor his parents sinned," said Jesus, "but this happened so that the works of God might be displayed in him. 4 As long as it is day, we must do the works of him who sent me. Night is coming, when no one can work. 5 While I am in the world, I am the light of the world."

I think this is relevant.  Unfortunately, philoshophical conversations about God's role in these situations usually leave more questions than answers.  But, I am at peace knowing God is certainly all powerful and in control.  When tragedy strikes, he uses those events.  Some of the greatest acts of generosity, compassion and caring come in the quake of tragedy.  It is to motivate God's people to work.

I gain some peace knowing that any temporary pain we feel now will be tiny compared to our relationship here and after our physical death.

Offline thinktank

• Silver
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 10:34:28 PM »
welcome back junkbunny, good to see you again. You ask some tough questions, and the answers will probably not satisfy the emotional pain, but only Christ peace and presence can.

When it comes to judgment maybe it's possible that the activities there means that God's power is limited there, which allows the thief to come in to kill, thief and destroy. If God was strong there perhaps he might whisper to the pastor avoid going to church etc on a particular day.

Offline Nathan

• Gold
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2011, 03:06:11 AM »
This realm we live in will always demand of us our undivided attentions.  Problem is, it only leads to death.  That is the nature of THIS REALM we live in.  On one hand, I finded it most interesting that of all the places in the world that this reknown earthquake would manifest, it found it's notoriety in a place called "Christ church". 

Perhaps once again God is using the natural things to reveal spiritual truths to those to whom he loves.  This realm does not just bring suffering . . .it IS suffering.  But rather than focus on the death and pain, which when it's in your front yard is extremely difficult not to, but rather than see the death, look for the miracles . . .a baby was found alive in it's mother's lifeless arms.

Earthquakes in the natural as we all know, are shifting platlets that lie beneath the surface of the earth.  It's like a storm in the upper atmosphere . . .two pressures opposing each other collide creating lightning, thunder, rain . . .depending on the strength of the high low pressures, storms can become deadly to those who are exposed to them.  But to say God did it or allowed death to come . . .I can't quite let myself come to that proclamation.  I believe God turns disasters into testimonies but I don't believe he causes the disasters so that he can produce a testimony.

This realm creates it's own disasters because that is again, the nature of this realm.  Why do you supposed God was so straight forward to Adam about not eating of it's fruit.  God knew that once man entered into this realm, the realm would rule the man.  We are at the mercy of this earth's wonderful cool breeze as well as it's destructive forces of power.  It rains on the just and the unjust here.  No one is exempt.  Jesus never said those who believed on him would live in bliss, he infact said just the opposite . . .IN THIS WORLD you will have trials and tribulations.  Some come due to the nature of the realm, others come due to our ignorance of the power of His realm.

But the key is, to be of good cheer regardless . . .because as ugly as we "think" these experiences are, Christ has overcome our world.  This is not to say there won't be disasters, but it "is" saying that in the middle of these disastorous experiences, we can walk in peace and power regardless.

My heart continues to go out to christ church.