Author Topic: Battling the Flesh  (Read 4171 times)

Offline thinktank

• Silver
Re: Battling the Flesh
« Reply #50 on: January 12, 2011, 01:10:56 AM »
I think card is saying that we are the ones that decide whether to follow christ or not, and we must rule over our garden .i.e flesh.

The scriptures says

A man is drawn after his own lust and when it is conceived bringeth forth death

Also says "resist the devil and he will flee from you"

If we do nothing, then nothing will happen.

With the heart man believes, but with his mouth confession is made into salvation

Confess your sins etc

Jesus said "follow me" Take up your cross, my burden is light etc

I told Jesus the other day, lord I will not do anything unless you do it.

That day I had a lie in and nothing happened, because we must do something i.e move our legs, God, is more like a catalyst, he empowers us, but he doesn't do all the work for us, otherwise washing the dishes would be a lot more fun/easier  :grin:

Offline Nathan

• Gold
« Reply #51 on: January 12, 2011, 01:25:07 AM »
I'm not sure yet if we're saying the same thing or not. 

I'm not one to promote doing nothing.  I'm promoting changing the emphasis from worrying about what "we're" doing and pursuing the kingdom . . .seek ye first the kingdom . . .I'm not doing anything, I'm just not putting all my energies in self-discipline.  The things I overcome, I overcome due to my pursuit in heavenly matters.  Jesus stands at the door and knocks . . he's not coming because my house is dirty, the reason he's not coming in is because I'm not opening the door so he can.

Even Paul was concerned about the thorns in the flesh and yet God wasn't.  God was more concerned that Paul would realize his grace in the midst of the thorn infested flesh. 

I don't think God's nearly as concerned with us trying to rid ourselves of the dust of the earth as much as we our.  The freedom I pursue is not freedom to do whatever my flesh desires without guilt or shame.  The freedom I pursue is the freedom to flow in the kingdom beyond the reaches of the fleshly desires in the first place.  My flesh is still affected, it still craves, but the power is no longer in my flesh to have the thorns inflict their pain on me.  Pursing the ascended place takes me through the temptations whether I fall or fly, and into the realm of his presence and unexplainable things that reinstate my awareness of who I/we are in Him through Christ. 

But doing nothing?  Being at rest in Christ doesn't mean I do nothing.  It just means the battle isn't mine to fight anymore.

Offline jabcat

• Admin
  • SINNER SAVED BY GRACE
« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2011, 01:41:49 AM »
Nathan, as I was typing this, you took a step towards answering my "dilemma", with your last line.

You said "being at rest in Christ doesn't mean I do nothing.  It just means the battle isn't mine to fight anymore".  I agree with that, I'M JUST NOT ALWAYS SURE WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE AND HOW WE'RE TO WALK IT OUT".

Here's what I had typed.  I'll post it with the above now in play;

I started this thread, had and have several different thoughts rolling around in my head as evidenced by my OP.

Even before, and now that the thread's been going for awhile, seems to me I've heard and/or thought all these different things;

Let go, let God
Cast your cares on Him
Trust
Rest
Give over to Him
Surrender
Submit
It's not I that sin, it's sin in me (Jesus will [fully] one day deliver me), so
Relax

Then there are these;

Commit/re-commit
Press in
Overcome
Hold on tight
Don't give up
Keep the faith
Fight the fight
Rule over your flesh
Crucify your flesh
Don't let go

As I said, I probably do all these things at one time or another, often thinking I need to move more toward the first group.  But still, we hear all these "encouragements".    It reminds me of being a little kid, growing up in those country Pentecostal churches.  You may have someone down at the altar "praying through", with one well-meaning person on each side, coaching in each ear.  One's saying "LET GO!", the other says "HOLD ON!"…"LET GO!", "HOLD ON!", "LET GO!", "HOLD ON!"… 

Neither should there be vulgar speech, foolish talk, or coarse jesting--all of which are out of character--but rather thanksgiving.  Eph. 5:4  **  Saved 1John 3.2, Eph. 2:8, John 1:12 - Being saved 2Cor. 4:16 2Peter 3:18 - Will be saved 1Peter 1:5 Romans 8:23

Offline jabcat

• Admin
  • SINNER SAVED BY GRACE
« Reply #53 on: January 12, 2011, 01:49:28 AM »
I'm thinking there must be a place where maybe some of lists above get thrown out, and/or at least, there's a place where they (or what's left) reconcile in our daily walk.   :2c:
Neither should there be vulgar speech, foolish talk, or coarse jesting--all of which are out of character--but rather thanksgiving.  Eph. 5:4  **  Saved 1John 3.2, Eph. 2:8, John 1:12 - Being saved 2Cor. 4:16 2Peter 3:18 - Will be saved 1Peter 1:5 Romans 8:23

Offline Nathan

• Gold
« Reply #54 on: January 12, 2011, 01:57:40 AM »
The one thing members on Tent can probably all relate to the most above everything else when it comes to being a follower of Christ is . . .there's no conformity by one movement or another.  We are all unique individuals set apart from each other with a common denomonator or two with things pertaining to UR.  I personally came by way of revelation.  Many others came by way of word definition, absolute literalization . . .others were just frustrated with where they were and started looking for something they couldn't identify.  But in the end, we've all arrived  . . .here.

The only answer I can give you that comes to me after reading your post when you ask "what does that look like" . . . is through all the experiences in Scripture, through all of the terrible failures of the people in Scripture, through all of the rhetoric, the hype, the great manifestations . . through all of it . . .those that could truly see were the same that simply laid down their fight, laid down their agendas, their schedules, their expectations of how they think it should be done or said and they simply yielded the thing over to the Lord. 

God had to actually argue with Moses to get him to be a part of the greatest exodus ever to take place on earth.  Abraham marveled, Sarah laughed.  Jonah jumped ship. Thomas doubted, John the Baptist's Dad questioned . . .Mary yielded.  Saul had the zeal but in his zeal, he was putting people in prisons . . .because they didn't see God through his eyes.  But when he became imprisoned himself . . .he worshiped and in his worship he became a free man.

What does it look like?  The closest answer I can come up with is . . .it looks a lot like worship.  In spite of our battles, our jousting, our locking of horns intellectually, when we simply join each other in worship, the rest of it sort of takes care of itself.  The unity of worship is a truly powerful place to enter into.  In Revelation John "heard" the voice calling "come up here and the moment he did, worship was everywhere.

Offline jabcat

• Admin
  • SINNER SAVED BY GRACE
« Reply #55 on: January 12, 2011, 02:02:31 AM »
I think you're speaking here from the Spirit.  Thanks.

Offline Nathan

• Gold
« Reply #56 on: January 12, 2011, 02:06:47 AM »
I think you're speaking here from the Spirit.  Thanks.

I appreciate your heart . . .it kinda felt like that when my fingers wrote it.  Rereading it makes me emotional . . .what's with that?!!

Offline jabcat

• Admin
  • SINNER SAVED BY GRACE
« Reply #57 on: January 12, 2011, 02:28:40 AM »
I'd say it's the Spirit blessing you.  I felt a "flow" as I was reading it.  Good word.

Offline thinktank

• Silver
« Reply #58 on: January 12, 2011, 02:28:54 AM »
Maybe because you mentioned all those heroes of the faith, it made me a bit emotional too reading it when I remember them all like that and how real they actually are, their trials, pain, suffering and great victories  :bigGrin:
 :2c:

Offline micah7:9

• Gold
  • Mic 7:8 Thou dost not rejoice over me, O mine ene
« Reply #59 on: January 12, 2011, 02:37:00 AM »
I understand and hear you both my brothers, will you hear that just as Moses, Abraham, Jonah, Thomas, Mary, and Saul (Paul) had a moving on.?! I  :sigh: only because I cannot say no more, yet it behoves me to say, " Off your cots and pick up your socks, LETS GO!"
Mic 7:8  Thou dost not rejoice over me, O mine enemy, When I have fallen, I have risen, When I sit in darkness Jehovah is a light to me.

Offline Nathan

• Gold
« Reply #60 on: January 12, 2011, 02:38:40 AM »
ANGELS COME, GATHER 'ROUND
DANCE WITH US UNTO THE SOUND
OF LOVE, OF LIGHT, OF SAAAABBETH REST
LET THE WORLD NOW ALL BE ONE
GIVE GLORY TO GOD'S HOLY SON
SO ALL WHO HEAR, MAYYYY  BE BLESSED

i WANT TO DANCE . . .I WANT TO DANCE . . . .I WANT TO DANCE.

Offline Cardinal

• < Moderator >
« Reply #61 on: January 12, 2011, 03:06:11 AM »
Those that would rule with Him must first rule over their own "kingdoms/gardens".[/color]

Can't quite digest this one Card, sorry . . .but I can't very well rule over my own garden unless I've been empowered by Him in the first place.  Casting my concerns into him is what is asked of me.  The overcoming doesn't come from within my own nature, it can only come through his "in" me.  And once I recognize and act on that, that act alone is evidence that I'm already with and in Him . . .it's all him from A to Z.  I know you see that as well.  But this one sentence kinda messed the rest of it up for me is all. 

It's BECAUSE I rule with him that I can then rule over my own kingdom.  Not by might, not by power . . .

It's not through my own laboring mind, my own strength, discipline, study, actions . . .it's all through him that any of those would manifest through me at all.

:cloud9: I know you know all this, but for clarification......I see what you're saying and without realizing I needed to make a distinction I didn't make; I was talking about one dimension of ruling and reigning (and you another). Both are equally true, just different "levels".

My point might be better stated as UNTIL He is all in all IN US (deliverance completed, in other words), we must press in and take dominion over our own "kingdom/garden", which we do in cooperation with the HG.

It's the "Satan can't cast out Satan," principle. Until He can FULLY STAND in us, bound by nothing (we're beheaded essentially like John the baptist), we have only limited authority to effect change, because we have not overcome ALL. What He did, we appropriate fully, in a process.

There's a warfare state and a rest state. Just KNOWING there's a rest state doesn't bring you into His complete rest, anymore than just KNOWING He's a healer, enables you to walk in it totally and heal everyone you come into contact with (yet). We have times and seasons of ALL of it, until we have appropriated ALL of it fully.

Rest is peace, and true peace that only comes from Him is when the flesh is no longer warring against the Spirit. As long as there is ANYTHING in our flesh left to raise up in His place, it will stand in us instead, thus keeping us needing to wage war against it to rid the flesh of it and break it's hold. Blessings....

PS. And now that I've caught up with all the other posts after this one of yours, Amen to it, too  :thumbsup:

« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 03:25:34 AM by Cardinal »
"I would rather train twenty men to pray, than a thousand to preach; A minister's highest mission ought to be to teach his people to pray." -H. MacGregor

Offline redhotmagma

• < Moderator >
« Reply #62 on: February 02, 2011, 07:14:14 AM »
A few months ago our small group (home bible study, life group) was doing along with our church a book called Emotionally healthy spirituality.  I was in the midst of walking in sin, and couldn't get out (you can see my first post on the welcome page for details).  I was barely reading the book, but did read one section.  In the book he talks about Matthew 5:3  Blessed are the poor in spirit for they will inherit the kingdom of God.  The word there means utterly destitute, he (the author) says "  picture a person in such abject poverty that he is incapable of doing anything more than lying in a corner with a palm upraised, hoping someone will take pity on him.  Picture someone who knows he will die unless someone has mercy upon him"

This stabbed me in the heart, and I could see that that is me for the first time, and that I am utterly helpless in the eyes of God, I am no better than anyone else (which was the main thrust of the book relating to this point that our pride says I'm better than that other beggar, I make more money than the other beggars, how foolish that thought is). 

The two edged sword pierced me so deep, God kept saying to me you are utterly helpless without Christ to pick you up and heal you.  God told me thats how he sees all of us, which is why Christ had to come, and the only way I could be healed was to reach out my hand and ask Him to pick me up.  My efforts were foolishness like me saying I'm better than the other beggars, which brought me to the root of pride.

That passage was the starting point which led me to UR, because it was ultimately me having to totally let go of my self will, and totally giving everything to God, at which point he gave me the revelation to research is hell eternal.

To the point of this post, this paradigm shift for me is what has totally changed my battle of the flesh.  Not that the battle isn't there, but fully ,visually spiritually realizing the victory is through Him.  I know this is elementary, but man it is exciting, and I hope it can help.

Offline jabcat

• Admin
  • SINNER SAVED BY GRACE
« Reply #63 on: February 02, 2011, 07:15:40 AM »
I think it's awesome.  Amen brother!

Offline jabcat

• Admin
  • SINNER SAVED BY GRACE
« Reply #64 on: February 02, 2011, 07:16:20 AM »
..and Amen!  (one wasn't enough!)

Offline Molly

• Gold
« Reply #65 on: February 02, 2011, 08:19:28 AM »
:cloud9: If you're dead, who is it then that does any works thru you?

Faith without works is dead, and works without faith is dead. Let me reword that a little for clarity. Faith (apart from the Spirit-given faith) without works (apart from the Spirit, ie. the HG does the works) is dead (or produces death) and works (apart from the Spirit, ie. the HG does the works) without faith (apart from the Spirit-given faith) is dead (produces death).

It all begins and ends with Him. The struggle is from trying to do things in our flesh, ie. out of season, out of order, not according to pattern, INDEPENDENT of the working of the Spirit in us and thru us. What does the pattern of the Tabernacle show us, is where I begin.

The priests had to trim the wicks daily or else the place would smoke up and visibility was nil. This speaks of circumcising our hearts so that we can perceive more of Him, and therefore receive, more of Him, since we have to "see" Him to be changed to be as He is, from glory (terrestrial/fleshly) to glory (celestial/spiritual).

Putting the animal (carnal beastly natures) to death for sins was another repeat pattern given to us to show the necessity of making of ourselves a living sacrifice. The people who brought the animal laid their hands on it with the idea of transferrence of sins to the animal; Himself bore our sins.

The High Priest's offering took away the sins of the people once a year, but during that year they were STILL expected to bring forth the animals for their sins. Our High Priest took away the power of sin offering a permanent cleansing from it, BUT we are still expected to appropriate it by COOPERATING with the HG who DOES the works. If it were all done, then death the last enemy would be defeated, yet look around us, death still reigns from Adam to Moses because we are still under the law and it's effects SPIRITUALLY until it is all accomplished in us and thru us BY THE SPIRIT.

This is why He said today and tomorrow (2000 years) I will DO CURES AND CAST OUT DEVILS, but the third day, I will be perfected (completed). Who does the works? HE does. Do we have to do our part in cooperation by pressing in gaining wisdom and knowledge, growing to maturity, and that including appropriating deliverance? YES. Under the law if a man did not work, he did not eat.

The churches are full of people that are starving to death, because they've been taught by the Jezebel spirit that rules over them, not to work, living lives of "leisure" letting another man get their bread for them, which is against the commandment given for every man to get gather his own manna for his house, and TWICE that amount on the 6th day (which is NOW).

Herein lies the main problem, and that is that the churches taught that the law is not in effect because we are under grace, BUT Jesus said that not one jot or tittle would pass away till all be fulfilled. It has to be fulfilled in us spiritually, else God is a liar. Passover, was part of the law. Pentecost, was part of the law.

Do we "observe" these feasts spiritually, or no? Yes, we do, so then all the law means something to us spiritually, because you can't take one part of the law, or you're a debtor to the whole law. Well, He "set us up" because from the beginning of the NT covenant, He made us a debtor to the law, BUT the difference is that now we have a SPIRITUAL High Priest and a spiritually mediated and ENFORCED, covenant. The Spirit IS grace, grace is not something separate that excludes the law, it FULFILLS it. My  :2c: Blessings....
This is an incredible post.

Offline Molly

• Gold
« Reply #66 on: February 02, 2011, 08:32:59 AM »
Those that would rule with Him must first rule over their own "kingdoms/gardens".[/color]

Can't quite digest this one Card, sorry . . .but I can't very well rule over my own garden unless I've been empowered by Him in the first place.  Casting my concerns into him is what is asked of me.  The overcoming doesn't come from within my own nature, it can only come through his "in" me.  And once I recognize and act on that, that act alone is evidence that I'm already with and in Him . . .it's all him from A to Z.  I know you see that as well.  But this one sentence kinda messed the rest of it up for me is all. 

It's BECAUSE I rule with him that I can then rule over my own kingdom.  Not by might, not by power . . .

It's not through my own laboring mind, my own strength, discipline, study, actions . . .it's all through him that any of those would manifest through me at all.

:cloud9: I know you know all this, but for clarification......I see what you're saying and without realizing I needed to make a distinction I didn't make; I was talking about one dimension of ruling and reigning (and you another). Both are equally true, just different "levels".

My point might be better stated as UNTIL He is all in all IN US (deliverance completed, in other words), we must press in and take dominion over our own "kingdom/garden", which we do in cooperation with the HG.

It's the "Satan can't cast out Satan," principle. Until He can FULLY STAND in us, bound by nothing (we're beheaded essentially like John the baptist), we have only limited authority to effect change, because we have not overcome ALL. What He did, we appropriate fully, in a process.

There's a warfare state and a rest state. Just KNOWING there's a rest state doesn't bring you into His complete rest, anymore than just KNOWING He's a healer, enables you to walk in it totally and heal everyone you come into contact with (yet). We have times and seasons of ALL of it, until we have appropriated ALL of it fully.

Rest is peace, and true peace that only comes from Him is when the flesh is no longer warring against the Spirit. As long as there is ANYTHING in our flesh left to raise up in His place, it will stand in us instead, thus keeping us needing to wage war against it to rid the flesh of it and break it's hold. Blessings....

PS. And now that I've caught up with all the other posts after this one of yours, Amen to it, too  :thumbsup:
Another incredible post, Cardinal.

It's the book of Joshua.

11And they did eat of the old corn of the land on the morrow after the passover, unleavened cakes, and parched corn in the selfsame day.

12And the manna ceased on the morrow after they had eaten of the old corn of the land; neither had the children of Israel manna any more; but they did eat of the fruit of the land of Canaan that year.

13And it came to pass, when Joshua was by Jericho, that he lifted up his eyes and looked, and, behold, there stood a man over against him with his sword drawn in his hand: and Joshua went unto him, and said unto him, Art thou for us, or for our adversaries?

14And he said, Nay; but as captain of the host of the LORD am I now come. And Joshua fell on his face to the earth, and did worship, and said unto him, What saith my Lord unto his servant?

15And the captain of the LORD's host said unto Joshua, Loose thy shoe from off thy foot; for the place whereon thou standest is holy. And Joshua did so.

--Josh 5

1Now Jericho was straitly shut up because of the children of Israel: none went out, and none came in.

2And the LORD said unto Joshua, See, I have given into thine hand Jericho, and the king thereof, and the mighty men of valour.

3And ye shall compass the city, all ye men of war, and go round about the city once. Thus shalt thou do six days.

4And seven priests shall bear before the ark seven trumpets of rams' horns: and the seventh day ye shall compass the city seven times, and the priests shall blow with the trumpets.

5And it shall come to pass, that when they make a long blast with the ram's horn, and when ye hear the sound of the trumpet, all the people shall shout with a great shout; and the wall of the city shall fall down flat, and the people shall ascend up every man straight before him.

--Josh 6
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 08:36:43 AM by Molly »

Offline shawn

• Bronze
« Reply #67 on: February 02, 2011, 12:27:40 PM »
Nathan, as I was typing this, you took a step towards answering my "dilemma", with your last line.

You said "being at rest in Christ doesn't mean I do nothing.  It just means the battle isn't mine to fight anymore".  I agree with that, I'M JUST NOT ALWAYS SURE WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE AND HOW WE'RE TO WALK IT OUT".

Here's what I had typed.  I'll post it with the above now in play;

I started this thread, had and have several different thoughts rolling around in my head as evidenced by my OP.

Even before, and now that the thread's been going for awhile, seems to me I've heard and/or thought all these different things;

Let go, let God
Cast your cares on Him
Trust
Rest
Give over to Him
Surrender
Submit
It's not I that sin, it's sin in me (Jesus will [fully] one day deliver me), so
Relax

Then there are these;

Commit/re-commit
Press in
Overcome
Hold on tight
Don't give up
Keep the faith
Fight the fight
Rule over your flesh
Crucify your flesh
Don't let go

As I said, I probably do all these things at one time or another, often thinking I need to move more toward the first group.  But still, we hear all these "encouragements".    It reminds me of being a little kid, growing up in those country Pentecostal churches.  You may have someone down at the altar "praying through", with one well-meaning person on each side, coaching in each ear.  One's saying "LET GO!", the other says "HOLD ON!"…"LET GO!", "HOLD ON!", "LET GO!", "HOLD ON!"…

I too have had these same battles within my own mind recently.  I have been "battling the flesh" for as long as I can remember.  Personally, I'm exhausted.  Like magma said, I am utterly destitute...I have no ability to overcome...none.  But, what I have seen in my life is a slow, painful growth in spiritual maturity.

I remember a time when I looked for loopholes.  I wanted to run after the flesh without guilt.  The things that Nathan preaches about were not meant for me at that point in my walk.  I didn't want God more than anything.  I still wanted to keep certain sins.  I was a babe in Christ.  I was spiritually immature.  I lived how I wanted to live and it nearly took my family, my career and my life.  Sin brought me death.  It wasn't until I had experienced the weight of sin that I was relieved of it's true power...which was my love of the flesh over my love of God.  The flesh was my first love and it had to be put to death.

Today, I still have my battles...but what's different is I want God more than I want anything...more than my family, more than my career and certainly more than the flesh I must live in.  I see this and know it's God working within me.  I had no power over sin.  I still have no power over sin that doesn't come from the Father. 

I know in my spirit that what Nathan is saying is true.  It's that next step for me.  It's the ability to lay down that last bit of pride (that pride in MY ability to overcome) and just dwell in Him.  I need to trust the process.  I need to know he is in charge.  He knows my heart and he will give me the desires of my heart.  But, it will be on his time table.

Today, I have only one true, aching desire...and it's to experience him. 

Let me ask you or anyone who can relate to this a question.  Do you want God more than anything?  If the answer is no...then it's just not your time.  If the answer is a true heart felt yes...then how does brow beating ourselves with the proverbial whip, and closing our doors to Christ benefit our walk?  Why do we allow the failings of the flesh define us?  Why do we relate our "position" with Christ to how much sin we can resist?  For me and my walk, this is merely that last ounce of pride crying out for a home.  Today, I choose not to allow my flesh to define me...but I will press in...draw near...abide...and rest in his presence. 

Offline shawn

• Bronze
« Reply #68 on: February 02, 2011, 12:45:02 PM »
A few months ago our small group (home bible study, life group) was doing along with our church a book called Emotionally healthy spirituality.  I was in the midst of walking in sin, and couldn't get out (you can see my first post on the welcome page for details).  I was barely reading the book, but did read one section.  In the book he talks about Matthew 5:3  Blessed are the poor in spirit for they will inherit the kingdom of God.  The word there means utterly destitute, he (the author) says "  picture a person in such abject poverty that he is incapable of doing anything more than lying in a corner with a palm upraised, hoping someone will take pity on him.  Picture someone who knows he will die unless someone has mercy upon him"

This stabbed me in the heart, and I could see that that is me for the first time, and that I am utterly helpless in the eyes of God, I am no better than anyone else (which was the main thrust of the book relating to this point that our pride says I'm better than that other beggar, I make more money than the other beggars, how foolish that thought is). 

The two edged sword pierced me so deep, God kept saying to me you are utterly helpless without Christ to pick you up and heal you.  God told me thats how he sees all of us, which is why Christ had to come, and the only way I could be healed was to reach out my hand and ask Him to pick me up.  My efforts were foolishness like me saying I'm better than the other beggars, which brought me to the root of pride.

That passage was the starting point which led me to UR, because it was ultimately me having to totally let go of my self will, and totally giving everything to God, at which point he gave me the revelation to research is hell eternal.

To the point of this post, this paradigm shift for me is what has totally changed my battle of the flesh.  Not that the battle isn't there, but fully ,visually spiritually realizing the victory is through Him.  I know this is elementary, but man it is exciting, and I hope it can help.

I am greatly blessed by this post and your openess.  That image of being utterly destitute is me.  I am without ANY ability on my own to overcome.  But, yet I see the process, this evolution, and I know it's not of me.  I can see the hand of God moving and rearranging my thought processes.  He is giving me spiritual eyes.  The flesh has less of a hold on me.  It wins less and less battles for my affections.  My interactions with people are different.  My priorities have changed.

Is this my doing?  Can I take ANY of that credit?  No!  It's the process God has set forth in my life.  It's the narrow path that we walk.  It's that path less traveled.

My prayer today is this, Lord relieve me of the last bits of pride within me.  Help me to know who I am in you.  Help me to draw near, and to seek your face.  Help me to not grow discouraged but let me abide in your rest.  And in that rest let me be relieved of me.  It has never been about me...it's always been about you.  Thank you for your grace, forgiveness and mercy.  Thank you for being my Father.  Thank you for adopting me as your son.  Amen.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 12:49:50 PM by shawn »

Offline Cardinal

• < Moderator >
« Reply #69 on: February 07, 2011, 11:39:42 PM »
 :cloud9: Excellent posts, redhotmagma and shawn.....and a hearty AMEN..... :thumbsup:
"I would rather train twenty men to pray, than a thousand to preach; A minister's highest mission ought to be to teach his people to pray." -H. MacGregor

Offline CHB

• Silver
« Reply #70 on: February 08, 2011, 03:36:15 AM »

Is this my doing?  Can I take ANY of that credit?  No!  It's the process God has set forth in my life.  It's the narrow path that we walk.  It's that path less traveled.

My prayer today is this, Lord relieve me of the last bits of pride within me.  Help me to know who I am in you.  Help me to draw near, and to seek your face.  Help me to not grow discouraged but let me abide in your rest.  And in that rest let me be relieved of me.  It has never been about me...it's always been about you.  Thank you for your grace, forgiveness and mercy.  Thank you for being my Father.  Thank you for adopting me as your son.  Amen.

I love this post.  :happy3: it made my heart sing.  :HeartThrob: You are man after God's own heart.  :HeartThrob:

CHB

Offline jabcat

• Admin
  • SINNER SAVED BY GRACE
« Reply #71 on: February 08, 2011, 03:47:29 AM »
 :2thumbs:

Offline shawn

• Bronze
« Reply #72 on: February 08, 2011, 07:50:28 AM »
I'm blessed that you were blessed.  This thread has evolved into one of my favorites. 

Offline shawn

• Bronze
« Reply #73 on: February 20, 2011, 06:20:00 PM »
I was reading Romans 7 in the Message translation and just began to weep.  I have read this passage many times in the NIV but never appreciated it in it's fullness.  After reading, it confirmed in my spirit that relationship with Christ, truly seeking his face is our only relief from the pressures of the flesh.  This passage is so relevant to this thread.

7But I can hear you say, "If the law code was as bad as all that, it's no better than sin itself." That's certainly not true. The law code had a perfectly legitimate function. Without its clear guidelines for right and wrong, moral behavior would be mostly guesswork. Apart from the succinct, surgical command, "You shall not covet," I could have dressed covetousness up to look like a virtue and ruined my life with it.

8-12Don't you remember how it was? I do, perfectly well. The law code started out as an excellent piece of work. What happened, though, was that sin found a way to pervert the command into a temptation, making a piece of "forbidden fruit" out of it. The law code, instead of being used to guide me, was used to seduce me. Without all the paraphernalia of the law code, sin looked pretty dull and lifeless, and I went along without paying much attention to it. But once sin got its hands on the law code and decked itself out in all that finery, I was fooled, and fell for it. The very command that was supposed to guide me into life was cleverly used to trip me up, throwing me headlong. So sin was plenty alive, and I was stone dead. But the law code itself is God's good and common sense, each command sane and holy counsel.

13I can already hear your next question: "Does that mean I can't even trust what is good [that is, the law]? Is good just as dangerous as evil?" No again! Sin simply did what sin is so famous for doing: using the good as a cover to tempt me to do what would finally destroy me. By hiding within God's good commandment, sin did far more mischief than it could ever have accomplished on its own.

14-16I can anticipate the response that is coming: "I know that all God's commands are spiritual, but I'm not. Isn't this also your experience?" Yes. I'm full of myself—after all, I've spent a long time in sin's prison. What I don't understand about myself is that I decide one way, but then I act another, doing things I absolutely despise. So if I can't be trusted to figure out what is best for myself and then do it, it becomes obvious that God's command is necessary.

17-20But I need something more! For if I know the law but still can't keep it, and if the power of sin within me keeps sabotaging my best intentions, I obviously need help! I realize that I don't have what it takes. I can will it, but I can't do it. I decide to do good, but I don't really do it; I decide not to do bad, but then I do it anyway. My decisions, such as they are, don't result in actions. Something has gone wrong deep within me and gets the better of me every time.

21-23It happens so regularly that it's predictable. The moment I decide to do good, sin is there to trip me up. I truly delight in God's commands, but it's pretty obvious that not all of me joins in that delight. Parts of me covertly rebel, and just when I least expect it, they take charge.

24I've tried everything and nothing helps. I'm at the end of my rope. Is there no one who can do anything for me? Isn't that the real question?

25The answer, thank God, is that Jesus Christ can and does. He acted to set things right in this life of contradictions where I want to serve God with all my heart and mind, but am pulled by the influence of sin to do something totally different.

Offline shawn

• Bronze
« Reply #74 on: February 20, 2011, 06:29:30 PM »
And the solution in Romans chapter 8.  Amen and praise God!

The law always ended up being used as a Band-Aid on sin instead of a deep healing of it. And now what the law code asked for but we couldn't deliver is accomplished as we, instead of redoubling our own efforts, simply embrace what the Spirit is doing in us.

5-8Those who think they can do it on their own end up obsessed with measuring their own moral muscle but never get around to exercising it in real life. Those who trust God's action in them find that God's Spirit is in them—living and breathing God! Obsession with self in these matters is a dead end; attention to God leads us out into the open, into a spacious, free life. Focusing on the self is the opposite of focusing on God. Anyone completely absorbed in self ignores God, ends up thinking more about self than God. That person ignores who God is and what he is doing. And God isn't pleased at being ignored.