Author Topic: Abel's Sacrifice  (Read 906 times)

Offline micah7:9

• Gold
  • Mic 7:8 Thou dost not rejoice over me, O mine ene
Abel's Sacrifice
« on: September 10, 2011, 01:16:00 AM »
We read in Hebrews
Heb 11:4  by faith a better sacrifice did Abel offer to God than Cain, through which he was testified to be righteous, God testifying of his gifts, and through it, he being dead, doth yet speak.
And we read in Genesis

Gen 4:3  So it came to pass, after certain days, that Cain brought in of the fruit of the ground, a present to Yahweh:
Gen 4:4  Abel, also, even, he, brought in of the firstlings of his sheep, and of their fat, and Yahweh approved of Abel and of his present;

What was Abel's "sacrifice?"
Mic 7:8  Thou dost not rejoice over me, O mine enemy, When I have fallen, I have risen, When I sit in darkness Jehovah is a light to me.

Offline jabcat

• Admin
  • SINNER SAVED BY GRACE
Re: Abel's Sacrifice
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 01:33:58 AM »
Apparently differing views on this.  As Gomer Pyle said, "surprise, surprise, surprise!". 

The one that rings true to me, though I'm probably missing something and there are probably several different "layers" to this (first fruits for example);  Abel's sacrifice had to do with the shedding of blood, and was a foreshadow of Christ's perfect sacrifice.  Signifying what was to come. 

:dontknow: for sure, just seems like that "taps into" something...
Neither should there be vulgar speech, foolish talk, or coarse jesting--all of which are out of character--but rather thanksgiving.  Eph. 5:4  **  Saved 1John 3.2, Eph. 2:8, John 1:12 - Being saved 2Cor. 4:16 2Peter 3:18 - Will be saved 1Peter 1:5 Romans 8:23

Offline jabcat

• Admin
  • SINNER SAVED BY GRACE
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2011, 01:46:42 AM »
Re-reading your OP, yeah, getting specifically at the "sacrifice" piece;  he gave his best, the first fruits of what he had to offer?  (which could still be foreshadowing Yashua's death for us).
Neither should there be vulgar speech, foolish talk, or coarse jesting--all of which are out of character--but rather thanksgiving.  Eph. 5:4  **  Saved 1John 3.2, Eph. 2:8, John 1:12 - Being saved 2Cor. 4:16 2Peter 3:18 - Will be saved 1Peter 1:5 Romans 8:23

Offline sheila

• Gold
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2011, 04:09:09 AM »
 :thumbsup:

another consideration....that Abel also as an innocent was slayed. Gave God his best and was slayed for it...thinking of the 'seed' of the woman here...

enmity between the woman's 'seed' and the 'serpents'.   Typifying the 'lamb' slain.

Texas Son

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2011, 05:04:53 AM »
In Leviticus we have 5 sacrifices. They are the Burnt Offering for our acceptance before God, the Meat Offering for our acceptance before man, the Peace offering for our reconciliation to God, The Sin offering to atone for the source of our sin, and the Trespass offering to atone for the fruit of the sin source.

The first two cover Cain and Abel. The life is in the blood. The life is what belongs to God. The grain is what God gave to man after the fall "By the sweat of your face, you will eat bread".

Cain gave out of order. He gave of the offering of the earth, the natural. Abel gave of the life because he understood that the life belonged to God.

• Gold
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2011, 05:21:09 AM »
:thumbsup:

another consideration....that Abel also as an innocent was slayed. Gave God his best and was slayed for it...thinking of the 'seed' of the woman here...

enmity between the woman's 'seed' and the 'serpents'.   Typifying the 'lamb' slain.

"Abel also as an innocent was slayed."

Yes, Abel was the sacrifice.
In Heb. 11 by faith a better sacrifice. Paul realized that it was not the offerings or gifts that the two brought, but that it was the sacrifice that Abel gave.
Sacrifice, means something slaughtered. In Gen. 4:3-4 it was a offering or present, nothing was slain, the "fat" means the best of the flock.
I suggest we have to understand that without the sacrifice of Abel there would be no moving forward in the purpose and plan of God.
There must always be a negative cause to bring forth a positive. Or a positive cause to bring forth a negative.
Abel's sacrifice was his faith to know that his death would bring forth good. At least that is how I have been given to understand.
Mic 7:8  Thou dost not rejoice over me, O mine enemy, When I have fallen, I have risen, When I sit in darkness Jehovah is a light to me.

Offline sheila

• Gold
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2011, 09:36:50 PM »
 Tex....really appreciate your contribution :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

• Gold
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2011, 10:21:35 PM »
In Leviticus we have 5 sacrifices. They are the Burnt Offering for our acceptance before God, the Meat Offering for our acceptance before man, the Peace offering for our reconciliation to God, The Sin offering to atone for the source of our sin, and the Trespass offering to atone for the fruit of the sin source.

The first two cover Cain and Abel. The life is in the blood. The life is what belongs to God. The grain is what God gave to man after the fall "By the sweat of your face, you will eat bread".

Cain gave out of order. He gave of the offering of the earth, the natural. Abel gave of the life because he understood that the life belonged to God.

Are saying that Abel's "offering-present" was a blood sacrifice? Is so I have found no proof that Abel slaughtered his "offering-present." Can you explain that? Or are you assuming that there was blood involved?

Offline CHB

• Silver
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2011, 05:39:35 AM »
The way I understand this is, Cain tried to please God by his own works. He tilled the ground, worked to raise the sacrifice. WORKS. God provided the sacrifice that Abel gave. GRACE. We still do this today, try to please God by our own works.

CHB

• Gold
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2011, 06:26:09 AM »
The way I understand this is, Cain tried to please God by his own works. He tilled the ground, worked to raise the sacrifice. WORKS. God provided the sacrifice that Abel gave. GRACE. We still do this today, try to please God by our own works.

CHB

Yes, "Cain tried to please God by his own works. He tilled the ground,"  CHB
And that was the very offering that God had had said was unworthy.

Gen 3:17 And to the human He says, "As you hearken to the voice of your wife, and are eating from the tree of which alone I instruct you, saying not eat shall you from it, cursed shall be the ground when you serve it, for your sakes. In grief shall you eat of it all the days of your lives.And t

Gen 3:18 thorns and weeds shall it sprout for you, and you shall eat the herbage of the field.

Gen 3:19 In the sweat of your face shall you eat your bread, till your return to the ground, for from it are you taken, for soil you are, and to soil are you returning.

As today man attempts to please God with the fruits of mans labors. It does not work.

Offline Molly

• Gold
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2011, 06:30:25 AM »

And without faith it is impossible to please God
--Heb 11:6

• Gold
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2011, 06:38:32 AM »

And without faith it is impossible to please God
--Heb 11:6

AMEN! :bigGrin: :thumbsup: