(6) "For I will no longer have pity on the inhabitants of the land," declares the LORD; "but behold, I will cause the men to fall, each into another's power and into the power of his king; and they will strike the land, and I will not deliver them from their power."
(7) So I pastured the flock doomed to slaughter, hence the afflicted of the flock. And I took for myself two staffs: the one I called Favor and the other I called Union; so I pastured the flock.
(8) Then I annihilated the three shepherds in one month, for my soul was impatient with them, and their soul also was weary of me.
(9) Then I said, "I will not pasture you. What is to die, let it die, and what is to be annihilated, let it be annihilated; and let those who are left eat one another's flesh."
(10) I took my staff Favor and cut it in pieces, to break my covenant which I had made with all the peoples.
(11) So it was broken on that day, and thus the afflicted of the flock who were watching me realized that it was the word of the LORD.
(12) I said to them, "If it is good in your sight, give me my wages; but if not, never mind!" So they weighed out thirty shekels of silver as my wages.
(13) Then the LORD said to me, "Throw it to the potter, that magnificent price at which I was valued by them." So I took the thirty shekels of silver and threw them to the potter in the house of the LORD.
(14) Then I cut in pieces my second staff Union, to break the brotherhood between Judah and Israel.
(15) The LORD said to me, "Take again for yourself the equipment of a foolish shepherd.
(16) "For behold, I am going to raise up a shepherd in the land who will not care for the perishing, seek the scattered, heal the broken, or sustain the one standing, but will devour the flesh of the fat sheep and tear off their hoofs.
(17) "Woe to the worthless shepherd Who leaves the flock! A sword will be on his arm And on his right eye! His arm will be totally withered And his right eye will be blind."
When God breaks the staffs Favor and Union, nobody likes you and you don't like each other.
Lev 26:26 'When I break your staff of bread, ten women will bake your bread in one oven, and they will bring back your bread in rationed amounts, so that you will eat and not be satisfied.
Eze 4:16 Moreover, He said to me, "Son of man, behold, I am going to break the staff of bread in Jerusalem, and they will eat bread by weight and with anxiety, and drink water by measure and in horror,
Psa 105:16 And He called for a famine upon the land; He broke the whole staff of bread.
When God breaks the staff of bread then famine overtakes the people.
God breaks these staffs because of the backslidings of the people, to regain their attention.