Author Topic: Matthew 7:13,14 Straight Gate, Few Find It  (Read 6773 times)

Offline jabcat

• Admin
  • SINNER SAVED BY GRACE
Matthew 7:13,14 Straight Gate, Few Find It
« on: November 28, 2010, 09:31:04 PM »
YLTMatthew 7
13 `Go ye in through the strait gate, because wide is the gate, and broad the way that is leading to the destruction, and many are those going in through it;
14 how strait is the gate, and compressed the way that is leading to the life, and few are those finding it!

Few find the path to heaven; many end in hell.

(thanks WW for contribution)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 02:23:44 AM by jabcat »
Neither should there be vulgar speech, foolish talk, or coarse jesting--all of which are out of character--but rather thanksgiving.  Eph. 5:4  **  Saved 1John 3.2, Eph. 2:8, John 1:12 - Being saved 2Cor. 4:16 2Peter 3:18 - Will be saved 1Peter 1:5 Romans 8:23

Offline jabcat

• Admin
  • SINNER SAVED BY GRACE
Re: Matthew 7:13,14
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 09:32:09 PM »
micah said;

This again begins at Matt. 5 and Jesus was speaking only to His disciples, not the multitude.  And we must understand that all the words that Jesus spoke were parables. The Lord is so Good.
Neither should there be vulgar speech, foolish talk, or coarse jesting--all of which are out of character--but rather thanksgiving.  Eph. 5:4  **  Saved 1John 3.2, Eph. 2:8, John 1:12 - Being saved 2Cor. 4:16 2Peter 3:18 - Will be saved 1Peter 1:5 Romans 8:23

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 06:43:24 PM »
A parable; but of what? Many will say the meaning of the parable is ED or ET.
1 Timothy 2:3-4  ...God our Savior;  Who will have all men to be saved...
John 12:47  And if any man hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world.
Romans 4:5 But to the one who does not work, but believes in the one who declares the ungodly righteous ...

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 06:55:34 PM »
The fall of Jerusalem in 70AD and how the many statements and prophecies of Jesus and other New Testament writers relate to it is a lost teaching in this day and age.  It is the cause of much doctrinal error and eschatological [end time doctrine] errors.  The history of the fall of Jerusalem proves beyond doubt that those that rejected Christ, those that took the "wide gate" of conformity to the status quo, suffered horribly. 

This same subject is discussed in Matt. 7:13, 14.  "Enter in at the strait gate!  Wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction.  There will be many that go that way.  Strait is the gate and narrow is the way which leads to life.  Only a few will find it."

The language teaches that only a few walked in the narrow way marked out by Christ during that time.  The many chose the broader way of wrong.  If we relate these passages to the after life, we cannot escape the conclusion that heaven will only contain a few souls and the overwhelming majority will be perpetually burned.  This conclusion would negate countless scriptures and make the devil more successful than Jesus the Christ.  These passages have no reference to the future world whatsoever.  They speak of the few who, in our Savior's day, went right while the overwhelming majority went wrong.  While at first this may sound like I am putting a spin on this scripture - wait until you get the whole picture!

Students of scripture - learn this well!  The Greek word for destruction used here and many other verses is a state that one can be saved from. 

It important to understand that the word for 'destruction' [Greek 'apoleia'] in Matthew means destruction, waste or ruin.  Believers in eternal burnings READ INTO words like this the meaning of hell fire and brimstone.  Here are some other uses of the word:

Mat 26:7-8 and Mark 14:14, "a woman approached Him with an alabaster jar of very expensive fragrant oil.  She poured it on His head as He was reclining at the table. When the disciples saw it, they were indignant. "Why this waste [destruction]?" they asked."
Acts 8:18-24, "Now when Simon saw that the Spirit was bestowed through the laying on of the apostles' hands, he offered them money saying, "Give this authority to me as well so that everyone on whom I lay my hands may receive the Holy Spirit." But Peter said to him, "May your silver perish [be destroyed] with you because you thought you could obtain the gift of God with money!  You have no part or portion in this matter for your heart is not right before God. Therefore repent of this wickedness of yours and pray the Lord that, if possible, the intention of your heart may be forgiven you.  For I see that you are in the gall of bitterness and in the bondage of iniquity. But Simon answered and said, "Pray to the Lord for me yourselves so that nothing of what you have said may come upon me."

As the example in Acts 8 makes clear, repentance is possible from a state of 'destruction.'  Several other uses of this word show that a person can be delivered from, or repent of, a state of 'destruction'. 

Acts 25:16, "To whom I answered, It is not the manner of the Romans to deliver any man to die [destruction], before the accused confronts the accusers face to face and be allowed to answer for himself concerning the alleged crime."

Clearly Acts 25 makes clear again that one can be in a state of 'destruction' and yet be delivered from it since a trial could result in a man's freedom.  The language in Luke has a more special application to the Jews than that in Matthew.  The verse in Matthew could be applied to every age since Christ.  It is as true now as at the time Jesus spoke.  The path of godliness is followed by a comparative few.  The way of evil is broad and much traveled.   People can be on the path to destruction and repent.  Clearly, the word 'destruction' here doesn't mean eternal burnings.
John 12:47  And if any man hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world.
Romans 4:5 But to the one who does not work, but believes in the one who declares the ungodly righteous ...

Offline marie glen

• Bronze
  • HiS perfect intent? Besides paradise & perfection?
    • what I write
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 08:00:36 AM »
YLTMatthew 7
13 `Go ye in through the strait gate, because wide is the gate, and broad the way that is leading to the destruction, and many are those going in through it;
14 how strait is the gate, and compressed the way that is leading to the life, and few are those finding it!

Few find the path to heaven; many end in hell.

(thanks WW for contribution)

"Wide is the gate" (imperfection/sin) "leading to destruction" (non-life) and all are upon it. Until faith in Jesus. No one enters the narrow gate (life/reconciliation to God) except through faith in Jesus.

- No one hears the notorious words "those not believing will go to the second death" (Revelation 20:15) until [1] they have experienced being resurrected (in the second resurrection, Revelation 20:12 as opposed to the first resurrection of 1 Thessalonians 4:15-17) and [2] they have experienced, witnessed and lived through a long day of the judgment of all things, all human history, etc, Revelation 20:12. Who, after all that, isn't going to believe?

Psalm 22:27 "All the ends of the earth will remember and turn to the LORD. And all families of the nations will worship before you."
- Does it say no repentance after death? being resurrected still in their sins (2nd Resurrection) during age of Judgment? sure to be weeping and wailing?
- Is weeping & wailing the beginning of the redemptive process?
- "Behold I make aLL things new" Rev21:5
- "On every high mountain and hill, rivers and streams of waters in the day ..when the towers fall." Is 30:25
- "A new heavens and a new earth" Rev 21:1
- "The lion will eat straw like the ox.. the bear will graze with the cow" Is 11:7
- "They will sit each under his vine, and under his fig-tree, with none troubling.." Micah 4:4

Offline Taffy

• Gold
Re: Matthew 7:13,14 Straight Gate, Few Find It
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2011, 10:18:12 PM »
"Wide is the gate" (imperfection/sin) "leading to destruction" (non-life) and all are upon it. Until faith in Jesus. No one enters the narrow gate (life/reconciliation to God) except through faith in Jesus.

:thumbsup: narrow means straight -  from the ROOT to STAND\set \ESTABLISH

Mat 25:33   And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left. 
HE is The GATE[of the Temple-]

And they knew that it was he which sat for alms at the Beautiful gate of the temple: and they were filled with wonder and amazement at that which had happened unto him.  :icon_flower:
Isa 29:18 And in that day shall the deaf hear the words of the book, and the eyes of the blind shall see out of obscurity, and out of darkness.

Offline eaglesway

• < Moderator >
  • Grace & Peace be multiplied unto you, in Jesus
    • Hell is a Myth.com
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2011, 02:13:07 AM »
How many do you now who truly have "zoe" life. Overcoming life. "Joy unspeakable and full of glory?" Peace that passes understanding. Not many. It is because Few are able to "enter through the narrow gate.....walk in the strait way". It is the "single eye". It is narrow because it is "only in Christ". As such it is the "eye of the needle". How many do you kno who are walking in "destruction", "chastisement", i.e. the fruit of their own works (we reap as we sow), sowing to the flesh, reaping "death/corruption"? Are they going to eternal hell? Let's hope not since so many of them are believers, babes in Christ, carnal, having seen Jesus but still living as if they had not. Is it grace? or is it law? It is the grace of God that teaches us to flee immorality, as Paul said. How does it teach us? By allowing us to reap the result of our carnality when we refuse the "easy yoke" and cling to the "wide path". "For the trial of your faith is more precious than gold tried in the fire". Unto whom was Jesus speaking in the parables. Unbelieving sinners? The evil ones of the world? Of course not, He spoke parables to those who believe so that seeing they might no see. So that they could reach the end of their natural understanding and become blind. Mysteries hidden from the foundation of the world. Mysteries hidden from the wise and prudent but revealed unto babes. "Because you say you see your sin remains"! Make straight paths for your feet :o) Prepare ye the way of the Lord!    Who is more blind than my servant!
The Logos is complete, but it is not completely understood. hellisamyth.webs.com

Offline Beloved Servant

• Gold
  • David's sling
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2011, 04:15:09 AM »

The Eagle Soars!

Offline eaglesway

• < Moderator >
    • Hell is a Myth.com
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2011, 05:43:56 AM »
:bigGrin:
The Logos is complete, but it is not completely understood. hellisamyth.webs.com

Offline Beloved Servant

• Gold
  • David's sling
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2011, 05:51:18 AM »
 :bigGrin:

Offline micah7:9

• Gold
  • Mic 7:8 Thou dost not rejoice over me, O mine ene
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2011, 07:04:25 AM »
 :bigGrin: :bigGrin:
Mic 7:8  Thou dost not rejoice over me, O mine enemy, When I have fallen, I have risen, When I sit in darkness Jehovah is a light to me.

Offline thinktank

• Silver
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2011, 04:11:14 PM »
I've missed the majestic sight of the eagle.

Offline rosered

• Gold
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2011, 05:42:02 PM »
 :HeartThrob:

wow this  is a great thread .. thanks  Much to think about !!!
  always  seeing evil trying to destroy the Good 
 evil  putting Jesus to the Cross   but to the evils demise this  Victory starts the process 
 we can have peace that the Lord saves us  and put the guilt of sin away  for good !! if you keep  your eye"single eye". on Jesus , go and sin no more less a worse thing comes upon you 
 we learn well , just what good and evil is by exercising  this   choosing good and hating evil  daily in our lives  :icon_flower:

Offline eaglesway

• < Moderator >
    • Hell is a Myth.com
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2011, 07:32:59 AM »
Amen

Offline lomarah

• Silver
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2011, 07:19:23 PM »
How many do you now who truly have "zoe" life. Overcoming life. "Joy unspeakable and full of glory?" Peace that passes understanding. Not many. It is because Few are able to "enter through the narrow gate.....walk in the strait way". It is the "single eye". It is narrow because it is "only in Christ". As such it is the "eye of the needle". How many do you kno who are walking in "destruction", "chastisement", i.e. the fruit of their own works (we reap as we sow), sowing to the flesh, reaping "death/corruption"? Are they going to eternal hell? Let's hope not since so many of them are believers, babes in Christ, carnal, having seen Jesus but still living as if they had not. Is it grace? or is it law? It is the grace of God that teaches us to flee immorality, as Paul said. How does it teach us? By allowing us to reap the result of our carnality when we refuse the "easy yoke" and cling to the "wide path". "For the trial of your faith is more precious than gold tried in the fire". Unto whom was Jesus speaking in the parables. Unbelieving sinners? The evil ones of the world? Of course not, He spoke parables to those who believe so that seeing they might no see. So that they could reach the end of their natural understanding and become blind. Mysteries hidden from the foundation of the world. Mysteries hidden from the wise and prudent but revealed unto babes. "Because you say you see your sin remains"! Make straight paths for your feet :o) Prepare ye the way of the Lord!    Who is more blind than my servant!

Amen! Great word!
From Him and through Him and to Him are all things.

Offline eaglesway

• < Moderator >
    • Hell is a Myth.com
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2011, 06:55:55 PM »
Thanks Lo :o)

Offline God Chaser

• Full
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2013, 08:25:28 AM »
Lukes account of the narrow way!  Verse 29 says it all!

23 Someone asked him, "Lord, are only a few people going to be saved?"

He said to them, 24"Make every effort to enter through the narrow door, because many, I tell you, will try to enter and will not be able to. 25Once the owner of the house gets up and closes the door, you will stand outside knocking and pleading, 'Sir, open the door for us.'

"But he will answer, 'I don't know you or where you come from.'

26"Then you will say, 'We ate and drank with you, and you taught in our streets.'

27"But he will reply, 'I don't know you or where you come from. Away from me, all you evildoers!'

28"There will be weeping there, and gnashing of teeth, when you see Abraham, Isaac and Jacob and all the prophets in the kingdom of God, but you yourselves thrown out. 29People will come from east and west and north and south, and will take their places at the feast in the kingdom of God. 30Indeed there are those who are last who will be first, and first who will be last."

The way is not so narrow any more!!!

The Gentiles will be first, and the Jews will be last!

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2013, 08:49:04 AM »
Why? My guess is that your answer is similar too: "Because of what Jesus did for us".

If so
Why the Jews will be last? Surely Jesus was no respecter of persons. It must be a change in the Jewish heart and/or way of life. I can understand that. But after all Gentiles? Jews may have some wrong understandings but are much closer to the truth than for example gentile muslims....

:dontknow:

Offline God Chaser

• Full
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2013, 05:03:11 AM »
Why? My guess is that your answer is similar too: "Because of what Jesus did for us".

If so
Why the Jews will be last? Surely Jesus was no respecter of persons. It must be a change in the Jewish heart and/or way of life. I can understand that. But after all Gentiles? Jews may have some wrong understandings but are much closer to the truth than for example gentile muslims....

My first response... oh no, its my hero White Wing, Im not worthy!  :notworthy: HeHe!

:Oops: I apologize for my miscommunication. I am in complete agreement that the parables are about the Jews who accepted Christ being able to flee the coming destruction in 70 AD, while those who chose the status quo suffered horribly.

What I am suggesting is that verse 29 "People will come from east and west and north and south, and will take their places at the feast in the kingdom of God" indicates that many worldwide will be saved, and leaves no doubt to me that these parables are not about a few Believers being saved, while the vast majority of mankind being hell bound!

Also Sorry, Gentiles is a bad choice of words! What I was also suggesting is that "people coming from E,W, N, S to take their places at the feast" are All the Believers coming from EVERYWHERE, taking the place of the Jews. And that Believers will now be first, and the Jews who were first will now be last, for rejecting Christ!

It never occurred to me to think about other unbelievers such as Atheists, Hindu's and Muslims, only for the same reason that the "narrow way" is not about mankind's salvation.  It seems to me IMHO, that this feast is a reference to transitioning from old to new covenants!

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2013, 09:40:43 AM »
 :laugh:

Somehow I think this verse is important. I just have no clue why....
"But he will reply, 'I don't know you or where you come from. Away from me, all you evildoers!'

Why doesn't He know where they came from? Why even mention it? The only thing that seems to matter is being no evil doer because people from all over earth are allowed at the table.
29People will come from east and west and north and south, and will take their places at the feast in the kingdom of God
So it seems to me it doesn't really matter where they came from but it's some sort of expression.

Also Sorry, Gentiles is a bad choice of words! What I was also suggesting is that "people coming from E,W, N, S to take their places at the feast" are All the Believers coming from EVERYWHERE, taking the place of the Jews. And that Believers will now be first, and the Jews who were first will now be last, for rejecting Christ!
That's another odd thing I don't understand. Yes, Jews rejected Jesus and still do. But they love God and they love the promised land. Their muslim neighbors totally reject the God and prefer to nuke the Holy Land. Will they really go before the Jews?
You wrote "believers will now be first".
While true I think it's even more correct to say or add "only believers will enter".
Unconverted muslims will never enter. For the Jews to be last it means 100% of the rest of the world will become Christian before they do. If not either they are not last or not all will enter the Kingdom.
For the whole world to be converted something extremly powerful must happen. Sure we can say all sort of bad things about Jews but imo they most certainly aren't stupid and they do watch/search for the Messiah. If the whole world picks up the signs why not the Jews?

So 7x  :dontknow: from me.

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2013, 09:47:28 AM »
Brainstorming here.

The wedding banquet was always at the father's house. So it's safe to assume the mentioned feast is (symbollically) in Jerusalem

All (land of the) tribes was situated round Jerusalem/Temple. They are from the east, west, north and south. (Ignoring the tribes are 'lost')
Only the Levites had no land. So I'm wondering "all people" aren't the other tribes and the last one are the Levite/priest tribe?

:Chinscratch:
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 05:40:41 PM by WhiteWings »

Offline sheila

• Gold
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2013, 05:02:42 PM »
I thinkthe parableof the God Samaritanbears wittness to that WW.....preists levites

because they passed by the 'goodness' ofGod..that the Samaritan's didnot....also

I have heard the Samaritans were Israel that had been carriedoff..before..andreturned

Offline sheila

• Gold
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2013, 05:08:44 PM »
 of coarse I am of the mind that all that pertains untoIsrael has increased in scope.......

[the increaseof Hisgovernment] to include the whole world.........Allmen of All nations

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2013, 05:42:28 PM »
I have heard the Samaritans were Israel that had been carried off..before..andreturned
That's true. They got a lot of pagan stuff mixed into their Jewish belief. They were considered half-Jew at best.

Offline sheila

• Gold
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2013, 07:03:07 PM »
yep...Jesus/God was/is their true husband........they be mny gods andmany lrds......

5 axis rulers when the ark of the covenant wentinto philstine country......

you have had 5...andthe man you have nowis not your husband

John 8;48....you Samaritans worship what ye know not

John4;39.

.....we have had many lords over us....I will remove the nameofthe baals/lords from

their lips...you willno longer call me Lord..but husband[the truehusband]

ONE TRUE GOD/HUSBND OF ISRAEL