Author Topic: Matt. 16:18 ...and the gates of Hell (Hades) shall not prevail against it  (Read 27042 times)

Offline sheila

• Gold
Re: Matt. 16:18 ...and the gates of Hell (Hades) shall not prevail against it
« Reply #75 on: October 17, 2011, 06:36:54 PM »
the 1000year reign...as the day of Judgement....concludes all in Adam condemned....but all raised up in Christ to immortality by free gift of righteousness.

Adam,lived 930 years in sinful flesh state...as day of judgemnet. Father cut days in sinful flesh 'short' to 70 years[lest no flesh be saved].

doctrines of demons let out of the abyss at end of thousand years...are the 'works' that follow those who err...straw,hay,wood...works of darkness

that surround camp of city He loves[spirit and truth] erronous traditions of men,doctrines of demons[inspired]..promoting 'loss' of all mankind

bought by Christ.[their 'works' do follow them=muddying streams for others to drink,when you drink clean water-shoving weak/sin-sick aside]

Man as a sheep.....has a cloven hoof...because He is a two-part creation...bearing image of the corruptible[first Adam] and incorruptible[last Adam from heaven]

designed for His progency to expierence this good/evil exerciize.

Son of man is the new spiritual creature...that was subjected to vanity[this death/corrupt realm] and He originated and was born of the will of God....

when the Lamb was slain before the founding of the world[all spirit children of God come from Heaven] see sheet of animals coming down from heaven..

in Peter's vision...and returning to heaven. Son of man refers to all spirit children of God....man in our image. sown in the earth by God[wheat/tares parable]

Jesus, of whom all in Adam are due to be raised up in image of the incorruptible....has name of son of man and son of God...and so,too, we have that

name[son of man/Adam son of God/Adam] as Jesus also bears this very idenitiy.   So, when you read..no-one has ascended up to heaven except He that comes

down from heaven...remember the sheet in Peter's vision...Paul's story of a man caught up to the third heaven..the two wittness call to come up here..

and the term 'son of man' named so of God to differnt prophets.

Now the whole creation has been groaning for the revealing of the sons of God....and the 'revealing' of Jesus Christ is also the revealing of those

whose lives are hidden in Christ[even all that have died in Adam].

The better resurrection is the being clothed in immortal,incorruptible garments[1st]  firstborn in heaven[all mankind]  even spirits of just men made perfect.

when you resurrect some-one you restore them to a former state....

IT'S ALWAY'S BEEN ALL ABOUT SPIRIT,PEOPLE.......flesh profits nothing,can not enter.....SPIRIT CREATURE CLOTHED IN VANITY/corruptible flesh

SPIRIT CREATURE RETURNING HOME CLOTHED IN IMMORTAL CELESTIAL BODY....

AWAKE,AWAKE,O'ZION[resurrection}   CLOTHE YOURSELF WITH STRENGTH[incorruptible spirit celestial body]

PUT ON YOUR GARMENTS OF SPLENOUR[celestial body] O'JERUSALEM THE HOLY CITY

THE UNCIRCUMCIZED AND DEFILE WILL NOT ENTER YOU AGAIN[incorrupt bile vessel impermeable to evil spirits]

SHAKE OF YOUR DUST![FILTHY RAGS/FLESHY GARMENT]

RISE UP!!SIT ENTHRONED![REIGN OVER DEATH,CORRUPTION,SIN WITH CHRIST] O'JERUSALEM

FREE YOURSELF FROM THE CHAINS OF YOUR NECK,O'CAPTIVE DAUGHTER

Offline Beloved Servant

• Gold
  • David's sling
« Reply #76 on: October 17, 2011, 07:06:46 PM »

It's always been about:
Spirit, soul and body!

Why would Jesus take His up again if it mattered not?

Offline Beloved Servant

• Gold
  • David's sling
« Reply #77 on: October 17, 2011, 07:17:43 PM »

Psalm 16:10;
because you will not abandon me to the grave, nor will you let your Holy One see decay.

Acts 2:27;
because you will not abandon me to the grave, nor will you let your Holy One see decay.

Acts 2:31;
Seeing what was ahead, he spoke of the resurrection of the Christ, that he was not abandoned to the grave, nor did his body see decay.

Offline Taffy

• Gold
« Reply #78 on: October 17, 2011, 10:35:10 PM »
 :HeartThrob: Good Word Sheila~ :icon_flower:
Isa 29:18 And in that day shall the deaf hear the words of the book, and the eyes of the blind shall see out of obscurity, and out of darkness.

Offline Pierac

• Bronze
« Reply #79 on: October 18, 2011, 12:45:39 AM »
Quote from: Pierac
What does Paul tell us? (2Ti 2:18) men (or women) who have gone astray from the truth saying that the resurrection has already taken place, and they upset the faith of some. Wow... This was written many decades after many thousands of christians have died in Jesus' name!!!

I'm not saying the resurrection has already taken place.  The resurrection is an event involving our physical bodies, happening to many at the same time. 

I quoted Paul saying that we have an eternal body prepared for us by God in heaven when this body dies.  I quoted Paul saying he would rather leave this body and be with the Lord.  This is different from Jesus ascending into heaven body, soul, and spirit.

I'm trying to take all passages of scripture into account instead of just some.

But I, along with millions of Christians, know the truth about this matter--that He will never forsake us or leave us, that  whether in this body or out of it,  we will be ever with the Lord.

2In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

3And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.

--John 14

...and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever. [Psa 23]

Inorder to understand Paul in Phi 1:23 But I am hard-pressed from both directions, having the desire to depart and be with Christ, for that is very much better;

One must simply understand that the dead know nothing, no thought, deed, nor praisePaul as a scholar would be very familiar with this scriptural understanding!  Yet, Paul states... to depart and be with Christ!

It's simple! Paul knew that at his death his mind, and body would cease to exist as scripyture teaches! Yet at the Resurrection on the last day... He would be revived both body and soul! Paul in his tomb will hear his voice, and arise as if he died 1/1,000,000. of a second ago!
  :thumbsup:

Paul

Offline Beloved Servant

• Gold
  • David's sling
« Reply #80 on: October 18, 2011, 05:32:23 AM »

George Hawtin ably wrote of this death-realm: 

"Now it naturally follows that, if our blessed Lord spent all the days of His earthly existence in death, we also are doing the same, and I shall advance many infallible proofs to show that the very thing men have called life is not life at all, but death.

Indeed we may claim that three score and ten years are the years of our life and, of course, we all understand what is meant by that statement, but the real truth is that the three score and ten years during which we dwell in this corruptible body are not the years of our life, but the years of our death. 

When we mortals put a man in a coffin and bury him in the dark, cold earth, we say the man is dead, and indeed he is; but have you heard what Jesus answered when one or His disciples said to Him, 'Suffer me first to go and bury my father?'  The strange reply He gave was this 'Follow Me: and let the dead bury their dead' (Mat. 8:21-22). 

How strange that statement sounds to us who do not understand what death is, but the Lord was really telling them that the able bodied men who were carrying the coffin to the cemetery were just as dead as the man who was lying breathless within it.  In other words, the very thing we insist is life God says is death. 

The sooner we learn that lesson the sooner we will release as useless all things that pertain to this realm of death that we might be enabled to firmly lay hold on life, even the life which Jesus gives, aionian life, or the life of the ages. 

When the truth of this dawned upon my soul, I found many earthly things slipping away from me in a manner I had nor known hitherto.  Who among us could ever desire to lay fast hold upon that which he discovers to be naught but death?  The things that are dead we bury out of our sight, and I think I am right in saying that the lusts and temptations that belong to this death lose their grip upon us when we know that they are naught but death and that the flesh life to which these temptations cling is but a vapor that the wind driveth away.

I cannot see myself slaving to lay up great wealth in store for that which I know is dead.  What an abominable lie has gripped our hearts, deceiving us into endless labor and travail until on every side men and women are dying of heart attacks in their worry to provide worthless goods for this body of death."

Offline Beloved Servant

• Gold
  • David's sling
« Reply #81 on: October 18, 2011, 05:58:36 AM »

Yet some tell us that the dead are dead — that there is no life or consciousness or being for the child of God apart from or beyond or above  physical existence — should you lay this tabernacle  aside there is nothing — you cease to exist — you are gone!

I do not hesitate to tell you that it is a wicked lie, a monstrous deceit, and a dreadful denial of the life we have now been given in Christ Jesus.

Let's get right down to brass tacks here.  Do you want to hear the truth beyond all the superstitions you've heard, beyond all the emptiness and hopelessness of Old Testament economy?  Eternal life is first and foremost spiritual, not physical. 

To hear some preachers teach it one would think that a man cannot possess eternal life except it be manifest on the physical level — in an immortal body.  I think that no man understands the first thing about life out of death who misses the clear and unmistakable understanding given by Paul in his words to the Romans:  "And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the spirit is life because of righteousness" (Rom. 8:10).  The body is dead, just as God told Adam it would be.  So for the man who has received Christ his body is still dead because of sin but his spirit is alive because of righteousness — Christ's righteousness, of course, for there is none other, the righteousness that comes with Him when we believe into Him and He gives us Himself and with and by Himself His life. 

This life which even now is reality within us is that life and immortality which has been BROUGHT TO LIGHT through the gospel.  Hear and believe the wonderful news, precious friend of mine, YOUR SPIRIT I-S A-L-I-V-E BECAUSE OF THE INDWELLING CHRIST!  Those who minister the finality of death — when your body dies you're dead and gone, non-existent — minister under the blindness of the OLD COVENANT, the ministration of death.  They know not that the Christ has come and given us life, they understand not that Christ IS NOW the resurrection and the life, they comprehend not the glad truth that eternal life is even now a glorious and eternal reality in "the inner man"   which is renewed day by day," they, like the patriarchs and the prophets under the Old Testament, and like the Jews to this very day, are still awaiting the Saviour and looking to some future day  for the resurrection, totally oblivious to the wonderful fact that "If ye then BE RISEN with Christ, seek those things which are above (in the higher realm of the spirit; where your eternal life is), where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God"  (Col. 3:1).  I am here to tell you that CHRIST IS COME!  I proclaim to you today the glad tidings of the NEW TESTAMENT, the ministration of life.  God has anointed me to declare the RESURRECTION WHICH I-S, not one that shall be! 

Those who minister the finality of death minister the Old Covenant and know nothing as they ought to know and have seen nothing — the heavens have never been opened to them.  Their ministry is not one of faith and hope and present reality,  but of fear of death and a sense of foreboding and depression.  They know not the life that transcends the body, the life that is first of all realized spiritually rather than soulishly or physcially.  Death is emphasized, dramatized, its power glorified by men who minister, not out of the power of life, but out of the fear of death.  It is the fear of death that drives many in this hour to seek the immortality of the body.   And make no mistake!  "If the Spirit of Him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, He that raised up Christ from the dead SHALL ALSO QUICKEN (MAKE ALIVE) YOUR M-0-R-T-A-L  B-O-D-I-E-S by His Spirit that dwelleth in you"  (Rom. 8:11). 

That is the hope yet to be fulfilled in and through the manifested sons of God.  But I say to all who have not the consciousness of that eternal life which is already yours, that resurrection in which you are already raised, that eternal consciousness, existence and being you already are, I say to those who are striving for physical immortality because of the fear of the finality of death — Christ has already come and Himself partook of flesh and blood, that through death He might destroy death, and might DELIVER THEM WHO THROUGH FEAR OF DEATH ARE ALL THEIR LIFETIME SUBJECT TO BONDAGE.  Under the Old Testament life and immortality had not yet been fully brought to light.  No wonder the old saints often lived and spoke as those subject to bondage.  No wonder they emphasized the power of death, the hopelessness of death, the finality of death!  But how sad that the redeemed of Jesus Christ, His brethren, so often prove that they know so little of the deliverance and life He has given and the song of joy: "Death is swallowed up in victory.  Thanks be to God who giveth us the victory, through Christ our Lord!"  My brother! art thou living in the full experience of this blessed truth?  He delivers from the fear of death and the bondage it brings, changing it into the joy of knowing that "we have passed from death unto life!

Since then, we have been made alive because of our spirit being quickened by His Spirit, Paul leads us on to another marvelous truth which I fear multitudes of earnest believers are failing to see, including some elect saints of God.  "Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to His own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began, but a now made manifest by the appearing of our Saviour Jesus Christ, who HATH ABOLISHED DEATH, and HATH BROUGHT life and immortality to light through the gospel" (II Tim. 1:9-10).  The Word of God is true.  It is not a silly fairy tale or a superstitious myth.  It is not a lie.  Men are liars.  God is true.  And when God says, "Christ who hath abolished death,"  we poor puny worms of the dust had better believe it, and cease calling God a liar by telling Him He is wrong.  For "he that believeth not God hath made Him a liar" (I Jn. 5:10). 

Oh, read it and re-read it and rejoice in it with joy unspeakable and full of glory!  Through His thirty-three years of death Christ hath abolished death and through the power of His glorious resurrection He has brought that resurrection life into us so that it is wonderfully true that "when we were dead . . . He hath quickened us together with Christ, and hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus" (Eph 2:5-6).  Christ on Calvary bore every sin of every sinner.  He was made a sin-offering  (Capricornus—the goat) for us, He who knew no sin.  And since He became our sin-offering, therefore when He died, our sin died.  Calvary atoned.  And then and there the total and unending death that fallen on Adam and his race fell on another.  "The bread that I will give is my flesh, which I will give FOR THE LIFE OF THE WORLD" (Jn. 6:51).  Oh, the victory of Calvary means so much more than any of us ever realized in the past. 

It was such a pathetically ineffectual work, according to the way it was once taught us.  It was weak and so limited in scope, so incomplete!  Christ came to save the world (Jn, 12:47); God sent His Son "that THE WORLD through Him might be saved" (Jn. 3:17).  But it was all in vain.  He wasn't able to do what He came for.  That's what the preachers say.  Thank God, that long night of darkness is passing!  Thank God, a fuller, deeper message now goes forth, which does not limit the God of Israel, which does not belittle and besmear the atonement, the all-inclusive work of our Saviour Jesus Christ!  He did not die in vain!  He was not a failure!  Calvary was not a defeat, but an exultant victory.  And there He, the spotless sinless Lamb of God actually gave His life for the life "OF THE WORLD."  Let us never again forget that fact.  —  PRESTON EBY

Offline Pierac

• Bronze
« Reply #82 on: October 18, 2011, 07:06:10 AM »

Yet some tell us that the dead are dead — that there is no life or consciousness or being for the child of God apart from or beyond or above  physical existence — should you lay this tabernacle  aside there is nothing — you cease to exist — you are gone!

I do not hesitate to tell you that it is a wicked lie, a monstrous deceit, and a dreadful denial of the life we have now been given in Christ Jesus.

Let's get right down to brass tacks here.  Do you want to hear the truth beyond all the superstitions you've heard, beyond all the emptiness and hopelessness of Old Testament economy?  Eternal life is first and foremost spiritual, not physical. 

To hear some preachers teach it one would think that a man cannot possess eternal life except it be manifest on the physical level — in an immortal body.  I think that no man understands the first thing about life out of death who misses the clear and unmistakable understanding given by Paul in his words to the Romans:  "And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the spirit is life because of righteousness" (Rom. 8:10).  The body is dead, just as God told Adam it would be.  So for the man who has received Christ his body is still dead because of sin but his spirit is alive because of righteousness — Christ's righteousness, of course, for there is none other, the righteousness that comes with Him when we believe into Him and He gives us Himself and with and by Himself His life. 

This life which even now is reality within us is that life and immortality which has been BROUGHT TO LIGHT through the gospel.  Hear and believe the wonderful news, precious friend of mine, YOUR SPIRIT I-S A-L-I-V-E BECAUSE OF THE INDWELLING CHRIST!  Those who minister the finality of death — when your body dies you're dead and gone, non-existent — minister under the blindness of the OLD COVENANT, the ministration of death.  They know not that the Christ has come and given us life, they understand not that Christ IS NOW the resurrection and the life, they comprehend not the glad truth that eternal life is even now a glorious and eternal reality in "the inner man"   which is renewed day by day," they, like the patriarchs and the prophets under the Old Testament, and like the Jews to this very day, are still awaiting the Saviour and looking to some future day  for the resurrection, totally oblivious to the wonderful fact that "If ye then BE RISEN with Christ, seek those things which are above (in the higher realm of the spirit; where your eternal life is), where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God"  (Col. 3:1).  I am here to tell you that CHRIST IS COME!  I proclaim to you today the glad tidings of the NEW TESTAMENT, the ministration of life.  God has anointed me to declare the RESURRECTION WHICH I-S, not one that shall be! 

Those who minister the finality of death minister the Old Covenant and know nothing as they ought to know and have seen nothing — the heavens have never been opened to them.  Their ministry is not one of faith and hope and present reality,  but of fear of death and a sense of foreboding and depression.  They know not the life that transcends the body, the life that is first of all realized spiritually rather than soulishly or physcially.  Death is emphasized, dramatized, its power glorified by men who minister, not out of the power of life, but out of the fear of death.  It is the fear of death that drives many in this hour to seek the immortality of the body.   And make no mistake!  "If the Spirit of Him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, He that raised up Christ from the dead SHALL ALSO QUICKEN (MAKE ALIVE) YOUR M-0-R-T-A-L  B-O-D-I-E-S by His Spirit that dwelleth in you"  (Rom. 8:11). 

That is the hope yet to be fulfilled in and through the manifested sons of God.  But I say to all who have not the consciousness of that eternal life which is already yours, that resurrection in which you are already raised, that eternal consciousness, existence and being you already are, I say to those who are striving for physical immortality because of the fear of the finality of death — Christ has already come and Himself partook of flesh and blood, that through death He might destroy death, and might DELIVER THEM WHO THROUGH FEAR OF DEATH ARE ALL THEIR LIFETIME SUBJECT TO BONDAGE.  Under the Old Testament life and immortality had not yet been fully brought to light.  No wonder the old saints often lived and spoke as those subject to bondage.  No wonder they emphasized the power of death, the hopelessness of death, the finality of death!  But how sad that the redeemed of Jesus Christ, His brethren, so often prove that they know so little of the deliverance and life He has given and the song of joy: "Death is swallowed up in victory.  Thanks be to God who giveth us the victory, through Christ our Lord!"  My brother! art thou living in the full experience of this blessed truth?  He delivers from the fear of death and the bondage it brings, changing it into the joy of knowing that "we have passed from death unto life!

Since then, we have been made alive because of our spirit being quickened by His Spirit, Paul leads us on to another marvelous truth which I fear multitudes of earnest believers are failing to see, including some elect saints of God.  "Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to His own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began, but a now made manifest by the appearing of our Saviour Jesus Christ, who HATH ABOLISHED DEATH, and HATH BROUGHT life and immortality to light through the gospel" (II Tim. 1:9-10).  The Word of God is true.  It is not a silly fairy tale or a superstitious myth.  It is not a lie.  Men are liars.  God is true.  And when God says, "Christ who hath abolished death,"  we poor puny worms of the dust had better believe it, and cease calling God a liar by telling Him He is wrong.  For "he that believeth not God hath made Him a liar" (I Jn. 5:10). 

Oh, read it and re-read it and rejoice in it with joy unspeakable and full of glory!  Through His thirty-three years of death Christ hath abolished death and through the power of His glorious resurrection He has brought that resurrection life into us so that it is wonderfully true that "when we were dead . . . He hath quickened us together with Christ, and hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus" (Eph 2:5-6).  Christ on Calvary bore every sin of every sinner.  He was made a sin-offering  (Capricornus—the goat) for us, He who knew no sin.  And since He became our sin-offering, therefore when He died, our sin died.  Calvary atoned.  And then and there the total and unending death that fallen on Adam and his race fell on another.  "The bread that I will give is my flesh, which I will give FOR THE LIFE OF THE WORLD" (Jn. 6:51).  Oh, the victory of Calvary means so much more than any of us ever realized in the past. 

It was such a pathetically ineffectual work, according to the way it was once taught us.  It was weak and so limited in scope, so incomplete!  Christ came to save the world (Jn, 12:47); God sent His Son "that THE WORLD through Him might be saved" (Jn. 3:17).  But it was all in vain.  He wasn't able to do what He came for.  That's what the preachers say.  Thank God, that long night of darkness is passing!  Thank God, a fuller, deeper message now goes forth, which does not limit the God of Israel, which does not belittle and besmear the atonement, the all-inclusive work of our Saviour Jesus Christ!  He did not die in vain!  He was not a failure!  Calvary was not a defeat, but an exultant victory.  And there He, the spotless sinless Lamb of God actually gave His life for the life "OF THE WORLD."  Let us never again forget that fact.  —  PRESTON EBY

It's all in the timing... And as to holding to old and new Covenants... That's just pure spiritual childness...

COVENANT, n. [L, to come; a coming together; a meeting or agreement of minds.]

1. A mutual consent or agreement of two or more persons, to do or to forbear some act or thing; a contract; stipulation. A covenant is created by deed in writing, sealed and executed; or it may be implied in the contract.

There is no longer a Covenant!  The very idea of a Covenant requires for you to up hold to your part of the deal!  What part of Eph 2:8 do you not understand? For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God;  not as a result of works (covenants) , so that no one may boast.   A covenant requires for you to do your part to make it complete! Paul spoke against such traditions of men... I'm suprised EBY missed this simple fact!   :dontknow:

Paul

Offline Molly

• Gold
« Reply #83 on: October 18, 2011, 08:24:15 AM »
Thank you, Beloved Servant, for that Eby article.  Someone who understands the Good News!

As Paul tells us, for the will [testament] to go into effect, the testator has to die first.  The testator died on the cross and we children of God are NOW co-inheritors with Christ.

And since we are his children, we are his heirs. In fact, together with Christ we are heirs of God's glory.  Rom 8:17

And now he has made all of this plain to us by the appearing of Christ Jesus, our Savior. He broke the power of death and illuminated the way to life and immortality through the Good News.   2 Tim 1:10

For he chose us in him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight. In love
Eph 1:4

a faith and knowledge resting on the hope of eternal life, which God, who does not lie, promised before the beginning of time, Titus 1:2

he saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit.  Titus 3:5

To those who by persistence in doing good seek glory, honor and immortality, he will give eternal life.  Rom 2:7

GOOD NEWS!!!

Wherefore thou art no more a servant, but a son; and if a son, then an heir of God through Christ. Gal 4:7

"Now I commit you to God and to the word of his grace, which can build you up and give you an inheritance among all those who are sanctified. Acts 20:32

Do you believe this? :John 11:25

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMnni9g7hgM
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 08:56:33 AM by Molly »

Offline Molly

• Gold
« Reply #84 on: October 18, 2011, 09:29:06 AM »
The New Testament is a will.  We are beneficiaries under this will.  How many know this?  Raise your hands if you understand.

"A will or testament is a legal declaration by which a person, the testator, names one or more persons to manage his/her estate and provides for the transfer of his/her property at death. For the devolution of property not disposed of by will, see inheritance and intestacy.

In the strictest sense, a "will" has historically been limited to real property while "testament" applies only to dispositions of personal property (thus giving rise to the popular title of the document as "Last Will and Testament"), though this distinction is seldom observed today. A will may also create a testamentary trust that is effective only after the death of the testator."  --Wikipedia

11But Christ being come an high priest of good things to come, by a greater and more perfect tabernacle, not made with hands, that is to say, not of this building;

12Neither by the blood of goats and calves, but by his own blood he entered in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption for us.

13For if the blood of bulls and of goats, and the ashes of an heifer sprinkling the unclean, sanctifieth to the purifying of the flesh:

14How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?

15And for this cause he is the mediator of the new testament, that by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions that were under the first testament, they which are called might receive the promise of eternal inheritance.

16For where a testament is, there must also of necessity be the death of the testator.

17For a testament is of force after men are dead: otherwise it is of no strength at all while the testator liveth.  [Heb 9]

None of the rulers of this age understood this, for if they had, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory.  1 Cor 2:8

« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 09:49:45 AM by Molly »

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #85 on: October 18, 2011, 12:44:26 PM »
16For where a testament is, there must also of necessity be the death of the testator.
17For a testament is of force after men are dead: otherwise it is of no strength at all while the testator liveth.  [Heb 9]
The prodical son got his share while his father was still alive.
1 Timothy 2:3-4  ...God our Savior;  Who will have all men to be saved...
John 12:47  And if any man hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world.
Romans 4:5 But to the one who does not work, but believes in the one who declares the ungodly righteous ...

Offline Molly

• Gold
« Reply #86 on: October 18, 2011, 12:51:07 PM »
The prodical son got his share while his father was still alive.

18 I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore

[Rev 1]

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #87 on: October 18, 2011, 12:53:45 PM »
 :dontknow:
1 Timothy 2:3-4  ...God our Savior;  Who will have all men to be saved...
John 12:47  And if any man hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world.
Romans 4:5 But to the one who does not work, but believes in the one who declares the ungodly righteous ...

Offline Molly

• Gold
« Reply #88 on: October 18, 2011, 03:47:06 PM »
Understanding the Promise

My parents set up irrevocable trust agreements for each of us seven children. Once the trust papers had been signed, they could not be annulled or changed. These irrevocable trusts demonstrate our parents' generous, unconditional love for us.

In Galatians 3:15-18 Paul uses a similar legal document to illustrate the nature of the Abrahamic covenant: Brothers, let me take an example from everyday life. Just as no one can set aside or add to a human covenant that has been duly established, so it is in this case (v. 15). This "irrevocable trust agreement" that God made with Abraham is described in terms of the beneficiary of the trust (v. 16), the date of the trust (v. 17) and the condition for inheritance (v. 18). Our study of these terms of the Abrahamic covenant will enable us to appreciate the gracious, unconditional nature of God's love for us.The Beneficiary of the Trust (3:16)

Paul carefully examines the terms of the Abrahamic covenant and notes that the promises of this covenant were made to Abraham and to his seed. The term seed, Paul explains, is not plural but singular. Therefore the covenant designated one person, not many people, to be the recipient of the promises. That one person, says Paul, is Christ.

Except for the lawyers among us who enjoy the minutiae of legal arguments, Paul's discussion may seem to be over our heads. But if we understand Paul's hidden agenda, we will be able to grasp the reason for this technical argument about one term in the Abrahamic covenant. We have to realize that Paul's definition of seed contradicts the Jewish nationalistic interpretation of this term. Jews were convinced that the term seed referred to the physical descendants of Abraham, the Jewish people. Therefore they believed it was absolutely necessary to belong to the Jewish nation in order to receive the blessings promised to Abraham.

In Jewish literature the generic singular seed was usually interpreted as a collective singular, referring to the nation of Israel. But seed was also understood by the rabbis to be a specific singular, referring to an individual--for example, Isaac or David or Solomon. Paul's attention to the grammatical form of this term is very much like the rabbinic practice of exegesis. But Paul's interpretation is based on his conviction that Christ is the sole heir and channel of God's promised blessing. So while he uses common Jewish methods of exegesis, Paul's messianic interpretation of seed restricts the reference to Christ and negates the common nationalistic interpretation. It is no longer necessary to be in the Jewish nation to be a recipient of the promises; it is necessary to be in Christ.

Paul is just as exclusive as his Jewish counterparts, but his exclusivity is not based on ethnic identity. Since Christ is the heir of the promises, all those and only those who are in Christ by faith are beneficiaries of the irrevocable trust agreement God made with Abraham (v. 29).

We can see by the way Paul uses the term seed in verse 29 that his emphasis on its singularity in verse 16 does not restrict the seed to one individual person. Christ, the one seed of Abraham, includes within himself a new community of all believers where there are no racial, social or gender divisions. Just as the seed is one (v. 16), so "you are all one in Christ" (v. 28). So the emphasis on the oneness of the seed in verse 16 prepares the way for the emphasis on the unity of all in Christ in verse 28. Whereas the law made a division between Jews and Gentiles, Christ, the promised seed of Abraham, is the center of a new unity of Jews and Gentiles. The people of God are no longer identified by ethnic origins, but by union with Christ.The Date of the Trust (3:17)

Legal documents are signed and dated. Dates establish the precedence of one document over another. In the case of a will, a subsequent codicil or new will can annul or change the terms of the previous document. So lawyers search to make sure they have the document with the latest date which overrides all previous documents.

In the case of an irrevocable trust agreement, however, subsequent documents cannot overturn the terms of the original document. Paul has this type of document in mind. He carefully notes that the date on the irrevocable trust agreement made with Abraham places that covenant 430 years before the Mosaic law. If the Mosaic law and the Abrahamic covenant had the same date, then one might suppose that the Mosaic law should be included in the understanding of the terms of the Abrahamic covenant. But the fact that the Mosaic law came 430 years after the Abrahamic covenant indicates that the two should be clearly distinguished from each other and that the terms of the Abrahamic covenant should not be confused with or changed by the terms of the Mosaic covenant.

This distinction between the time of the confirmation of the promise to Abraham and that of the giving of the law stands in stark contrast to the rabbinic claim that Abraham knew and kept even the minutest details of the Mosaic law. In Jewish tradition the Mosaic law had been inseparably linked with the Abrahamic covenant. Influenced by this perspective, the Galatian believers had come to think that it was necessary to keep the Mosaic law to inherit the blessings promised to Abraham. In Paul's view, those who seek the inheritance through the law have failed to recognize the precedence of the promise in salvation history. They have failed to realize that because the law came 430 years after the promise it could not annul or be attached to the promise as a condition of inheriting the promised blessings.

Since Paul equates the promise and the gospel, the distinction he sees between promise and law is also a distinction between gospel and law. Those who minimize or deny this contrast between gospel and law need to consider the radical nature of Paul's distinction.The Condition for Inheritance (3:18)

When my parents set up the trust agreements for their seven children, we were all very young and could not have possibly fulfilled any conditions to merit the gift of inheritance that they provided for us. It is true that we grew up in a home marked by high standards and strict discipline. But if someone supposed that our inheritance depended on living up to the high standards set in the home, we could easily demonstrate that such a supposition was ridiculous. In the first place, none of us has been able to keep all the high standards set for us. In the second place, the irrevocable trust agreements were established for us before the standards were communicated to us. So we are beneficiaries by sheer grace.

Paul is concerned to demonstrate the unconditional nature of the promises made to Abraham. He points out the incompatibility between receiving the inheritance as a gift on the basis of a promise and receiving it as a payment for keeping the law: For if the inheritance depends on the law, then it no longer depends on a promise; but God in his grace gave it to Abraham through a promise. The categories of payment and gift are mutually exclusive. Since the gift character of the promised inheritance is clearly established, the inheritance cannot be received as a payment for keeping the law. This logical argument is developed by Paul to drive home his rebuke for the foolish error of viewing something as a payment which had already been received as a gift.

http://www.biblegateway.com/resources/commentaries/IVP-NT/Gal/Understanding-Promise

Now you, brothers, like Isaac, are children of promise.   Gal 4:28

« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 04:51:48 PM by Molly »

Offline Molly

• Gold
« Reply #89 on: October 18, 2011, 04:18:57 PM »
Gill's exposition of the entire Bible

For where a testament is [Heb 9:16[ ,.... The covenant of grace, as administered under the Gospel dispensation, is a testament or will. The Jews have adopted the Greek word, here used, into their language, and pronounce it and by it understand a dying man's last will and testament (d). Some of them make it to be of Hebrew derivation; as if it was said, , "this shall be to confirm" (e), or this shall be stable and firm; though others own it to be the same with this Greek word (f). The covenant of grace, is properly a covenant to Christ, and a testament or will to his people: it is his and their Father's will, concerning giving them both grace and glory; it consists of many gifts and legacies; in it Christ is made heir of all things, and his people are made joint heirs with him; they are given to him as his portion; and they have all things pertaining to life and godliness bequeathed to them, even all spiritual blessings; the witnesses of it are Father, Son, and Spirit; and the seals of it are the blood of Christ, and the grace of the Spirit; and this is registered in the Scriptures by holy men as notaries; and is unalterable and immutable: and this being made,

there must also of necessity be the death of the testator; who is Christ; he has various parts in this will or testament; he is the surety and Mediator of it; and he is the executor of it; what is given in it, is first given to him, in order to be given to others; all things are put into his hands, and he has a power to give them to as many as the Father has given him; and here he is called the "testator": Christ, as God, has an equal right to dispose of the inheritance, both of grace and glory; and as Mediator, nothing is given without his consent; and whatever is given, is given with a view to his "death", and comes through it, and by virtue of it: hence there is a "necessity" of that, and that on the account of the divine perfections; particularly for the declaration of God's righteousness, or by reason of his justice; and also because of his purposes and decrees, which have fixed it, and of his promises, which are yea and amen in Christ, and are ratified by his blood, called therefore the blood of the covenant; and likewise on account of the engagements of Christ to suffer and die; as well as for the accomplishment of Scripture prophecies concerning it; and moreover, on account of the blessings which were to come to the saints through it, as a justifying righteousness, pardon of sin, peace and reconciliation, adoption and eternal life.

The message of the crucifixion is insanity to the lost, but to those of us who have life it is the power of God!  1Cor 1:18
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 04:25:28 PM by Molly »

Offline Beloved Servant

• Gold
  • David's sling
« Reply #90 on: October 18, 2011, 05:59:32 PM »

Amen, Molly!

2 John 1:7;
For many deceivers are entered into the world, who confess not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh. This is a deceiver and an antichrist.

is: (Strongs 2064; as present tense)

Offline Molly

• Gold
« Reply #91 on: October 18, 2011, 06:56:28 PM »
Christ is the testator, the mediator, the executor, and the inheritor.

Stand aside and bask in the free gift of God's glory.

He does it all!

How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are! The reason the world does not know us is that it did not know him. [1 John 3:1]

Offline eaglesway

• < Moderator >
  • Grace & Peace be multiplied unto you, in Jesus
    • Hell is a Myth.com
« Reply #92 on: October 18, 2011, 07:09:25 PM »
I Am The Way The Truth And The Life.

I Am The Vine

I Am The Bread That Comes Down From Heaven

He is the Radiance of the Father's Glory and the Express Icon of His Character and All Things hold togethr by the Word of His power.

I see Jesus as the Root and the Offspring of David. He walks among the Lampstands because He is the Light. The lampstand passed from Israel to the One New Man, a gathering of children born not of the will of man, but of God,which is also the Bride, the City, the Body, His Fulness, to which He is Head over all things.

When a branch(in this case, a church) ceases to abide (if you continue in my word you will be my disciples indeed) it begins to whither. Vital connection to Jesus-love- is the issue. Belief in UR does not in itself constitute a vital connection altho it is certainly a step in the right direction :o). When any doctrine becomes the center, rather than the koinonea of Christ, the love of the brethren and the love for those who oppose themselve(adversaries), the whithering begins.Eventually the axe may be laid to the root of the tree(lampstand removed from its place, Rev ch 2), branch cut off and gathered for burning, saltless salt cast out to be trodden under the feet of men(men rule in man not God in Christ). This, to me, doesnt mean the church no longer exists(in the earth), it means it no longer exists(in the heavens)- cast out of general assembly, no longer privileged to "shine", no longer a home where the Father and the Great Shepherd will lead their little lost ones for refuge.

Although UR encompasses two foundations of the faith(resurrection of the dead and eternal judgment; Hebrews 6 1-6)- the writer of Hebrews saw it as milk, and called us to move beyond it- once it  is laid of course.

THE CHURCH (eternal, universal body of believers), IMO, is best described in Hebrews 12

But you have come to Mount Zion and to the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to myriads of angels, to the general assembly and church of the firstborn who are enrolled in heaven, and to God, the Judge of all, and to the spirits of the righteous made perfect, and to Jesus, the mediator of a new covenant, and to the sprinkled blood, which speaks better than the blood of Abel.
(Heb 12:22-24)

The churches may be better understood through the messages to the seven lampstands in Revelation 2 and 3.

They are, and have been, in various states of walking in the light, or not, since the beginning, some falling completely into death(synagogue of adversaries).

Though individual members of THE CHURCH, the ONE NEW MAN, the BRIDE, the BODY, etc- may be scattered through out churches that live or churches that are dying and even dead, I like what Paul said to Timothy, "The Lord knows those who are His...." and what John said, "Every child born of Him loves the child born of Him" and "The one who loves knows God and is known by Him" - and is therefore in THE CHURCH. even if they are not in a church. "He that loves not knows not God for God is love" (Depart from me you lawless ones, I never knew you). Being in a church is not being in THE CHURCH. The issue is the love of God, and as Sheila illustrated, the fragrance of Christ's breath- manifestation of the divine nature, which is, simply Jesus shining through us brightly enough for the world to see.

By this the world will kno that you are my disciples, by your love for one another. This is my prayer that you may be one, that your joy may be full. That you may be one even as I and the Father are one.

I wonder, if the desire for oneness and loving one another is a symptom of being in THE CHURCH, how many churches to day are in IN IT?

Since you have in obedience to the truth purified your souls for a sincere love of the brethren, fervently love one another from the heart, for you have been born again not of seed which is perishable but imperishable, that is, through the living and enduring word of God.
(1Pe 1:22-23)

Grace and peace be multiplied to you in the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord; seeing that His divine power has granted to us everything pertaining to life and godliness, through the true knowledge of Him who called us by His own glory and excellence. For by these He has granted to us His precious and magnificent promises, so that by them you may become partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.
(2Pe 1:2-4)
Little children, love one another :o)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 07:41:19 PM by eaglesway »
The Logos is complete, but it is not completely understood. hellisamyth.webs.com

Offline Taffy

• Gold
« Reply #93 on: October 18, 2011, 08:39:50 PM »
[quote ]eaglesway[/quote]

Belief in UR does not in itself constitute a vital connection altho it is certainly a step in the right direction :o). When any doctrine becomes the center, rather than the koinonea of Christ, the love of the brethren and the love for those who oppose themselve(adversaries), the whithering begins

:icon_flower:
Isa 29:18 And in that day shall the deaf hear the words of the book, and the eyes of the blind shall see out of obscurity, and out of darkness.

Offline Beloved Servant

• Gold
  • David's sling
« Reply #94 on: October 18, 2011, 08:46:33 PM »

1 Corinthians 3:16,17;

Don't you know that you yourselves are God's temple and that God's Spirit lives in you?
If anyone destroys God's temple,
God will destroy him;
for God's temple is sacred,
and you are that temple.

Offline Molly

• Gold
« Reply #95 on: October 18, 2011, 09:21:50 PM »
[quote ]eaglesway

Belief in UR does not in itself constitute a vital connection altho it is certainly a step in the right direction :o). When any doctrine becomes the center, rather than the koinonea of Christ, the love of the brethren and the love for those who oppose themselve(adversaries), the whithering begins

:icon_flower:

"Koinonia is the anglicisation of a Greek word (κοινωνία) that means communion by intimate participation. The word is used frequently in the New Testament of the Bible to describe the relationship within the Early Christian church as well as the act of breaking bread in the manner which Christ prescribed during the Passover meal [John 6:48-69, Matthew 26:26-28, 1 Corinthians 10:16, 1 Corinthians 11:24]. As a result the word is used within the Christian Church to participate, as Paul says, in the Communion of - in this manner it identifies the idealised state of fellowship and community that should exist - Communion"

He breaks himself into many pieces and gives each of us a piece, so that we can share the bread of life with each other and him.  Lovely thought, that.

Offline Beloved Servant

• Gold
  • David's sling
« Reply #96 on: October 18, 2011, 09:24:46 PM »

John 4:34;
"My food," said Jesus, "is to do the will of him who sent me and to finish his work.

Obedience.

Offline Nathan

• Gold
« Reply #97 on: October 18, 2011, 09:39:52 PM »
To the "when you die, your dead" piece of this conversation . . . do both sides agree that Jesus himself, when he died, still existed?  We keep hearing "the dead know nothing" as a platform to believe that when we die, we go into a "suspension" of awareness/existence until we're resurrected with our new bodies . . .so . . .how come that doesn't seem to be the case with Jesus . . who is the first fruits of all of us . . .right?

Offline CHB

• Silver
« Reply #98 on: October 19, 2011, 01:04:30 AM »
Nathan, Jesus existed but he was dead. He knew nothing while he was dead.

CHB

Offline Molly

• Gold
« Reply #99 on: October 19, 2011, 03:26:08 AM »

"For Christ also died for sins once for all, the just for the unjust, in order that He might bring us to God, having been put to death in the flesh, but made alive in the spirit; 19 in which also He went and made proclamation to the spirits now in prison, 20 who once were disobedient, when the patience of God kept waiting in the days of Noah, during the construction of the ark, in which a few, that is, eight persons, were brought safely through the water."  [1 Pet 3]