Author Topic: Even the 12 didn't believe in Jesus  (Read 2792 times)

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
Even the 12 didn't believe in Jesus
« on: November 23, 2011, 10:53:26 AM »
James, if this post is in the wrong section move/delete with free will :winkgrin:

Not strickly verses that show not all will be saved but still something to consider I think.

The 12 had a close relationship with Jesus during His ministry. Some for about 33 years because Jesus was (close) family.
They had actually heard His teachings. Saw His miracles. Lived in the same culture. Etc.
When Jesus was arrested they denied they knew Him.
When the women reported to the 12 He was resurrected they didn't believe the women.
Thomas did only believe when after he was allowed to touch Jesus' wounds.

Were they doomed for being unbelievers? Nope, Jesus just returned and gave them that extra proof they needed.
 :2c:
1 Timothy 2:3-4  ...God our Savior;  Who will have all men to be saved...
John 12:47  And if any man hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world.
Romans 4:5 But to the one who does not work, but believes in the one who declares the ungodly righteous ...

Offline sheila

• Gold
Re: Even the 12 didn't believe in Jesus
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 08:57:33 PM »
      O'yeah, WW   their faith was the tiniest of seeds...BUT LOOK HOW IT GREW.....so that they were all martyred and were faithful unto Him even unto death.

The parable of the mustard seed comes to mind.

Offline jabcat

• Admin
  • SINNER SAVED BY GRACE
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 09:05:43 PM »
One thought is "Lord I believe, help my unbelief".  I'm not sure anyone always 100% believes. 

Interesting to note that Jesus said they had been given to understand the secrets of the kingdom, yet they were still expecting some different things (earthly kingdom) than what Jesus had in mind (spiritual)..

Also, I don't believe they could "technically"/fully be spiritually reborn until after the cross, and another aspect of that is, the Holy Spirit hadn't as yet "completely arrived" (Acts 2).
Neither should there be vulgar speech, foolish talk, or coarse jesting--all of which are out of character--but rather thanksgiving.  Eph. 5:4  **  Saved 1John 3.2, Eph. 2:8, John 1:12 - Being saved 2Cor. 4:16 2Peter 3:18 - Will be saved 1Peter 1:5 Romans 8:23

Offline thinktank

• Silver
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 09:29:35 PM »
 :thumbsup:

Offline Molly

• Gold
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2011, 01:45:40 AM »
There's a huge difference in Peter after he receives the Spirit.

Before he's enthusiastic, loves Jesus, but is still weak in the flesh and not really understanding much.

Afterwards, his very shadow heals people.

14And all the more believers in the Lord, multitudes of men and women, were constantly added to their number, 15to such an extent that they even carried the sick out into the streets and laid them on cots and pallets, so that when Peter came by at least his shadow might fall on any one of them. 16Also the people from the cities in the vicinity of Jerusalem were coming together, bringing people who were sick or afflicted with unclean spirits, and they were all being healed. [Acts 5]

Offline thinktank

• Silver
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2011, 08:38:51 PM »
When Jesus got arrested, a cloud of darkness engulfed the land. This is the hour of darkness.

Be glad while the light is in the world, but that light left the disciples for a little while.

Offline gkm

• Reg
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2012, 01:14:13 AM »
James, if this post is in the wrong section move/delete with free will :winkgrin:

Not strickly verses that show not all will be saved but still something to consider I think.

The 12 had a close relationship with Jesus during His ministry. Some for about 33 years because Jesus was (close) family.
They had actually heard His teachings. Saw His miracles. Lived in the same culture. Etc.
When Jesus was arrested they denied they knew Him.
When the women reported to the 12 He was resurrected they didn't believe the women.
Thomas did only believe when after he was allowed to touch Jesus' wounds.

Were they doomed for being unbelievers? Nope, Jesus just returned and gave them that extra proof they needed.
 :2c:

I think that Believing is one thing, denying another quite different thing.
The only one who did not believe in Jesus was Judas.

My faith is that One is saved by faith alone, not by any works of any kind, including not denying Him.

In Christ,

Gary McNees gkmcnees@gmail.com

"Error of Opinion may be tolerated where Reason is left free to combat it" Thomas Jefferson

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2012, 01:44:15 AM »
Yeah the denying was out of fear.
But rejecting His resurection was out of unbelief.

My faith is that One is saved by faith alone, not by any works of any kind, including not denying Him.
I seen denying Jesus as lack of faith.
I deny Jesus existed. I deny He was risen from the dead. I deny He was the Son Of God. Does that sound like faith?

1 Timothy 2:3-4  ...God our Savior;  Who will have all men to be saved...
John 12:47  And if any man hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world.
Romans 4:5 But to the one who does not work, but believes in the one who declares the ungodly righteous ...

Offline ded2daworld

• Silver
  • What if today we were just grateful for everything
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2012, 03:24:12 PM »
I think the whole difference was the spirit of God coming at Pentecost and settling like tongues of fire on the (about) 500 believers there. Even Peter, John and James were complacent until seeing the resurrected Christ on the shore after they had returned to their fishing boats and started fishing for fish again.
"Why do so many people think that the Bible is only inspired at certain points -  and that  THEY are inspired to pick out which points?"

Offline sheila

• Gold
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2012, 05:22:58 PM »
well WW   I think we can 'lose faith" in God and Christ.  And thus Jesus come to the lost sheep as a

shepherd.   first faith then hope then love......man has felt forsaken and bereft of God in this death/vanity

expierence

Offline sheila

• Gold
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2012, 09:31:10 PM »
no wick will He extinguish....He 'lights" every man...so the 'lamp" will not go out...so when the lamp of the disciples had it's hour of darkness...He relighted it

on the third day.......and gave them the extra oil for the vessels as promised by the Father[Holy spirit]......

'I have prayed that your faith not give out"

Offline sheila

• Gold
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2012, 09:37:24 PM »
and so we walk by faith  as He opens the scriptures to our understanding[even though we do not recognize Him]    and as we wait for His appearing...

and He appearred again unto the disciples after His resurrection...and said wait for the promise of the Father