Author Topic: 1 corinthians 10  (Read 1268 times)

Offline thinktank

• Silver
1 corinthians 10
« on: November 27, 2012, 02:44:21 AM »
10 For I do not want you to be ignorant of the fact, brothers and sisters, that our ancestors were all under the cloud and that they all passed through the sea. 2 They were all baptized into Moses in the cloud and in the sea. 3 They all ate the same spiritual food 4 and drank the same spiritual drink; for they drank from the spiritual rock that accompanied them, and that rock was Christ. 5 Nevertheless, God was not pleased with most of them; their bodies were scattered in the wilderness.

6 Now these things occurred as examples to keep us from setting our hearts on evil things as they did. 7 Do not be idolaters, as some of them were; as it is written: "The people sat down to eat and drink and got up to indulge in revelry."[a] 8 We should not commit sexual immorality, as some of them did—and in one day twenty-three thousand of them died. 9 We should not test Christ, as some of them did—and were killed by snakes. 10 And do not grumble, as some of them did—and were killed by the destroying angel.

11 These things happened to them as examples and were written down as warnings for us, on whom the culmination of the ages has come. 12 So, if you think you are standing firm, be careful that you don't fall! 13 No temptation[c] has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted[d] beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted,[e] he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it.

Often we use the old testament as an example towards spiritual truths in the new testament. so if they are physically destroyed by God, does this example teach that unrighteous will be spiritually destroyed?

Online Lazarus Short

• Bronze
  • The truth points to itself. -Kosh Naranek
Re: 1 corinthians 10
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 03:10:09 AM »
I have wrestled with this issue a lot over the years, and the ONLY way to resolve it is the UT message - that these sinners who were destroyed without mercy (by Christ!) in the OT will be saved in the end.  I must believe that.

9 "We should not test Christ, as some of them did—and were killed by snakes."   The NT writer here expressly identifies the OT God with Christ.  Thus is vindicated the meaning of YHWH:  "Behold the Hand, Behold the Nail." 
Socrates taught Plato.  Plato taught Aristotle.  Aristotle tutored the son of Philip of Macedon.  This boy grew up to become Alexander the Great, largely by slaughtering a lot of people.  That's philosophy.

Jesus spoke the Truth.  He blessed the poor.  He healed the sick.  He even raised the dead.  He died on a cross for us, lived again, and came back long enough to tell us to love one another.  That's religion.

Offline sheila

• Gold
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 05:39:11 AM »
some times the way out is through death...and no God and Christ will not lay on you..more than you can bear..

but the offspring of vipers will do just that.  In fact Jesus said 'they lay up impossible loads on men

that can not be bore..but are unwilling to lift their little finger. "

LOOK! see what they did to the Son of God!!! HE COULDN'T EVEN BEAR HIS OWN CROSS TO

GOLGOTHA WITHOUT HELP......Simon the Cyrene had to carry it for Him..due to the load they lay

upon Him .... alittle help for Christ provided that He may carry His cross?.

..who are these offspring of vipers that lay on such loads impossible for a man to bear?

they are that wicked generation that perishes in the wilderness and do not enter into the promises...

they are the tares..of which the Lord spoke..leave them both to grow unto harvest..lest by removing them

ye uproot the wheat also....where did the tares come from Lord?  An enemy has done this in the night.

those men who died without mercy served as examples..of the evil contrast spirits end....vessels of wrath

fitted for destruction..and of the same lump He makes everything NEW..even a vessel of mercy for honour.

I kill and I make alive!!!!

Offline eaglesway

• < Moderator >
  • Grace & Peace be multiplied unto you, in Jesus
    • Hell is a Myth.com
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 07:40:06 AM »
God is not mocked, Sow to the flesh reap corruption, sow to the spirit, reap life and peace.

The lesson and example that is presented there, IMO, is about reaping and sowing. This applies both to life in the body in the age, and also to achieving a "better resurrection", i.e. "the mark of the prize of the high/upward call of God in Christ Jesus".
The Logos is complete, but it is not completely understood. hellisamyth.webs.com

Offline ded2daworld

• Silver
  • What if today we were just grateful for everything
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 03:47:46 PM »
 I agree with EW (as usual) I do have another perspective besides that tho'

"Often we use the old testament as an example towards spiritual truths in the new testament. so if they are physically destroyed by God, does this example teach that unrighteous will be spiritually destroyed?"

I believe that when we are consumed by the fire of Holy Father, our refinement and purification removes the dross of the sinful thoughts words and deeds we have done. A total sinner then would be born anew but would also have nothing left of the old life. (Much as aborted baby's or like children way to young to understand much of anything before they die.)

We, that are called the saints of God, will cast our good works at his feet and realize in totality that all true good works were the Holy Spirit working through us. How much of the sinners personality or soul will remain - I don't know. But Job said, "I know that one day I will see God, it will be me, in my flesh, and not another." so it won't be like a totally new creature in the next age in all respects but, in some ways it will.
"Why do so many people think that the Bible is only inspired at certain points -  and that  THEY are inspired to pick out which points?"

Offline eaglesway

• < Moderator >
  • Grace & Peace be multiplied unto you, in Jesus
    • Hell is a Myth.com
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2012, 07:26:21 AM »
I agree with EW (as usual) I do have another perspective besides that tho'

"Often we use the old testament as an example towards spiritual truths in the new testament. so if they are physically destroyed by God, does this example teach that unrighteous will be spiritually destroyed?"

I believe that when we are consumed by the fire of Holy Father, our refinement and purification removes the dross of the sinful thoughts words and deeds we have done. A total sinner then would be born anew but would also have nothing left of the old life. (Much as aborted baby's or like children way to young to understand much of anything before they die.)

We, that are called the saints of God, will cast our good works at his feet and realize in totality that all true good works were the Holy Spirit working through us. How much of the sinners personality or soul will remain - I don't know. But Job said, "I know that one day I will see God, it will be me, in my flesh, and not another." so it won't be like a totally new creature in the next age in all respects but, in some ways it will.

I agree. I think newness refers to nature. I will still be I, but a new creature in Christ, transformed. My identity changed when I was born of the "incorruptible seed"(Peter), the "word implanted which is able to save your souls"(James), born, "not of the will of man nor of the will of the flesh, but of God"(John).
The Logos is complete, but it is not completely understood. hellisamyth.webs.com