Author Topic: True story of Lazarus and the Rich man  (Read 6209 times)

challenger

True story of Lazarus and the Rich man
« on: July 19, 2008, 12:30:02 PM »
Warning: This is not a parable, but an actual story of things that happened to actual people. Too often people call this story a parable, it is not, there is nothing hidden in it. It is a real story about a real person, named Lazarus and it was related by The Lord Jesus Christ himself. Please read and understand it.

Luke 16:19  There was a certain rich man, which was clothed in purple and fine linen, and fared sumptuously every day:
20  And there was a certain beggar named Lazarus, which was laid at his gate, full of sores,
21  And desiring to be fed with the crumbs which fell from the rich man's table: moreover the dogs came and licked his sores.
22  And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried;
23  And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.
24  And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.
25  But Abraham said, Son, remember that thou in thy lifetime receivedst thy good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and thou art tormented.
26  And beside all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed: so that they which would pass from hence to you cannot; neither can they pass to us, that would come from thence.
27  Then he said, I pray thee therefore, father, that thou wouldest send him to my father's house:
28  For I have five brethren; that he may testify unto them, lest they also come into this place of torment.
29  Abraham saith unto him, They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them.
30  And he said, Nay, father Abraham: but if one went unto them from the dead, they will repent.
31  And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead
« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 12:37:18 PM by challenger »

Offline B_T

• Est
Re: True story of Lazarus and the Rich man
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008, 12:31:37 PM »
Yeh. The people are real. Watch this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMPHAD-HKGM

and you will see why :)

challenger

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2008, 02:00:00 PM »
Thats an interesting video B_T. Unfortunately the last sentence in the story is:

31  And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead

And the author of the video continues with the story like there is a verse 32, 33, 34, and 35 and uses his already insighful view of the story to confuse the issue and finish the story for Jesus. Jesus stopped at verse 31, so should have the author of the video if he thought it is a parable and is explaining the parable.

While, of course, I do believe that the nation of Israel shall embrace Jesus Christ, the presumtion of universalist beliefs in the story do not exist...the story ends at verse 31.

Offline B_T

• Est
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2008, 02:10:59 PM »
31  And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead

The lake of fire was not in the Mosaic law ;) That's simple...

The author continues with the story because there's a lot scriptural proof from outside of the parable.

pneuma

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2008, 05:34:59 PM »
Warning: This is not a parable, but an actual story of things that happened to actual people. Too often people call this story a parable, it is not, there is nothing hidden in it. It is a real story about a real person, named Lazarus and it was related by The Lord Jesus Christ himself. Please read and understand it.

If it is not a parable then the scriptures lie, for they say Jesus opened not His mouth except in parables.

Offline B_T

• Est
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2008, 05:47:58 PM »
Bravo, pneuma! I forgot about this!

What could you say about this, challenger? And what are you trying to challenge? Better challenge your belief in a false doctrine.

Offline studier

• Restricted
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2008, 09:25:43 PM »
If it is not a parable then the scriptures lie, for they say Jesus opened not His mouth except in parables.

That is right! :D I had to point this out to someone in UR/CU who did not understand this point either.

Matthew 13:34
Jesus spoke all these things to the crowd in parables; he did not say anything to them without using a parable.

Mark 4:33-34
With many similar parables Jesus spoke the word to them, as much as they could understand. He did not say anything to them without using a parable. But when he was alone with his own disciples, he explained everything.

Matthew 13:13
This is why I speak to them in parables: "Though seeing, they do not see; though hearing, they do not hear or understand."

The only time he did not speak in parables was when he was alone with his own disciples. Otherwise, Pharisee, Sadducee, Israelite, Samaritan, etc. Jesus was speaking parables.

Paul Hazelwood

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2008, 09:29:39 PM »

Hi challenger, 

The very key is this verse.

Mt 13:34 All these things spake Jesus unto the multitude in parables; and without a parable spake he not unto them:

Do you believe the verse above?  I certainly hope so.

Then when it comes to Lazarus and the rich man, lets take a scriptural path

First, you have to start at Luke 15 1-3

Lk 15:1 . Then drew near unto him all the publicans and sinners for to hear him.

Lk 15:2 And the Pharisees and scribes murmured, saying, This man receiveth sinners, and eateth with them.

Lk 15:3 And he spake this parable unto them, saying,

That would qualify as multitudes.

So,  Jesus starts out talking about Lost sheep
Then transitions to the lost coin

Then the prodical son

Lk 15:11 . And he said, A certain man had two sons:

He's still talking to the multitudes

I believe some use Luke 16:1 to think that Jesus is no longer talking to the multitudes but is speaking to the disciples.

Lk 16:1 . And he said also unto his disciples, There was a certain rich man, which had a steward; and the same was accused unto him that he had wasted his goods.

But, I hilighted the key word above. In greek  "kia"  because this shows that now the disciples are listening as well.  But Jesus is still speaking to the multitudes, that fact has not changed, and the scripture that Jesus spoke only in parables to the multitudes has not changed due to the disciples showing up.

Lk 16:19 . There was a certain rich man, which was clothed in purple and fine linen, and fared sumptuously every day:

This is where the parable of lazarus and the rich man starts.  There is nothing in scripture to indicate that the setting has not changed.  The use of a proper name also does not disqualify a story from being a parable.

Jesus is still talking to the multitudes at this point, so it is a parable.

Offline studier

• Restricted
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2008, 09:50:17 PM »
There is many times He spoke to his disciples along with the crowds...They key is only when He was alone with his disciples, did He not speak in parables. In Luke 15, he was speaking to the crowds, in Luke 16 he was still with the crowds and also his disciples, but in Luke 17, he speaks only to his disciples explaining the parable.

Luke 15:1-3 Then drew near unto him all the publicans and sinners for to hear him. And the Pharisees and scribes murmured, saying, This man receives sinners, and eats with them. And he spake this parable unto them, saying,

Luke 16:1 And he said also unto his disciples, [continuing the parable's] There was a certain rich man, which had a steward; and the same was accused unto him that he had wasted his goods.

Luke 17:1 Then [finally explaining the Parable] said he unto the disciples, It is impossible but that offences will come: but woe [unto him], through whom they come!

Michele

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2008, 10:30:07 PM »
Isn't it interesting that there is no mention of salvation or Christ in this story of Lazarus and the Rich man?  Wonder why that is.....why doesn't the rich man cry out to the Lord Jesus Christ for help.....why didn't he ask Him for water....instead he cried out to Abraham?

Doesn't Christ have the power to bridge the great gulf?

IMHO He does....and perhaps that is what this "True" story is telling us.....

Offline willieH

• Read Only
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2008, 10:41:57 PM »

Brother, let's face it, ...you are the DESIGNATED HITTER today!  :clapping:

pEace...
...willieH  :cloud9:

Offline Taffy

• Gold
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2008, 10:51:34 PM »
Isn't it interesting that there is no mention of salvation or Christ in this story of Lazarus and the Rich man?  Wonder why that is.....why doesn't the rich man cry out to the Lord Jesus Christ for help.....why didn't he ask Him for water....instead he cried out to Abraham?

Yo SG :icon_flower:

WHY?..

Faith comes By HEARING , but only for those GIVEN the ears to hear...tis faith WHICH BRIDGES THE gulf...summed up pretty well for mine here

31  And he said unto him, If they hear not[/u] Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead.

Tis obvious for mine that the Rich man was a pharisee ,I see the FIVE brothers( BOOKS) as the TORAH.

First came the LAW by Moses, Faith and TRUTH by Christ Jesus ,  the first bears testimony( witness)to HIM..JB is Symbolic of the OLD COVENANT

Jhn 5:31  If I bear witness of myself, my witness is not true.

Jhn 5:32  There is another that beareth witness of me; and I know that the witness which he witnesseth of me is true.

Jhn 5:33  Ye sent unto John, and he bare witness unto the truth.

Jhn 5:34  But I receive not testimony from man: but these things I say, that ye might be saved.

Jhn 5:35  He was a burning and a shining light: and ye were willing for a season to rejoice in his light.

Jhn 5:36  But I have greater witness than [that] of John: for the works which the Father hath given me to finish, the same works that I do, bear witness of me, that the Father hath sent me.

Jhn 5:37  And the Father himself, which hath sent me, hath borne witness of me. Ye have neither heard his voice at any time, nor seen his shape.

Jhn 5:38  And ye have not his word abiding in you: for whom he hath sent, him ye believe not.

Jhn 5:39  Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.

"""""""""""""""""""" Jhn 5:40  And ye will not come to me, that ye might have life. """"""""""""""""""""""""""

Blessings sis :icon_flower:
Taffy
Isa 29:18 And in that day shall the deaf hear the words of the book, and the eyes of the blind shall see out of obscurity, and out of darkness.

Michele

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2008, 07:54:34 PM »

Yo SG :icon_flower:

WHY?..

Faith comes By HEARING , but only for those GIVEN the ears to hear...tis faith WHICH BRIDGES THE gulf...summed up pretty well for mine here

31  And he said unto him, If they hear not[/u] Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead.

Tis obvious for mine that the Rich man was a pharisee ,I see the FIVE brothers( BOOKS) as the TORAH.

First came the LAW by Moses, Faith and TRUTH by Christ Jesus ,  the first bears testimony( witness)to HIM..JB is Symbolic of the OLD COVENANT

Jhn 5:31  If I bear witness of myself, my witness is not true.

Jhn 5:32  There is another that beareth witness of me; and I know that the witness which he witnesseth of me is true.

Jhn 5:33  Ye sent unto John, and he bare witness unto the truth.

Jhn 5:34  But I receive not testimony from man: but these things I say, that ye might be saved.

Jhn 5:35  He was a burning and a shining light: and ye were willing for a season to rejoice in his light.

Jhn 5:36  But I have greater witness than [that] of John: for the works which the Father hath given me to finish, the same works that I do, bear witness of me, that the Father hath sent me.

Jhn 5:37  And the Father himself, which hath sent me, hath borne witness of me. Ye have neither heard his voice at any time, nor seen his shape.

Jhn 5:38  And ye have not his word abiding in you: for whom he hath sent, him ye believe not.

Jhn 5:39  Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.

"""""""""""""""""""" Jhn 5:40  And ye will not come to me, that ye might have life. """"""""""""""""""""""""""

Blessings sis :icon_flower:
Taffy

:thumbsup:  Thanks Taffy!

pneuma

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2008, 03:03:11 PM »
For me Ro.11 explains the parable the best.

Offline Taffy

• Gold
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2008, 04:51:30 PM »
Sums it pretty well indeed Scott :icon_flower:
Blessings
Taffy
Isa 29:18 And in that day shall the deaf hear the words of the book, and the eyes of the blind shall see out of obscurity, and out of darkness.

Michele

« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2008, 09:10:48 PM »
Good one Pneuma.....Romans 11 is one of my personal favs! :thumbsup:

Offline studier

• Restricted
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2008, 10:08:35 PM »

I agree, I have said this for years.

LCDuplatt

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2008, 10:24:50 PM »
Yes, this IS a parable. 

The simple spiritual lesson is this:  We have the ability to create this gulf within us, by believing things that are contrary to truth.  The rich man saw himself as "separate" from his fellow man and from God.  Thus, on the other side, his fellow man and God were separated from him.  Quite simple isn't it?

Light shines into darkness and the darkness ceases to exist.  When truth is understood, things that appear contrary will disappear and no longer have power over the mind that has "fallen" into believing the illusion.

Michele

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2008, 10:33:05 PM »
Yes, this IS a parable. 

The simple spiritual lesson is this:  We have the ability to create this gulf within us, by believing things that are contrary to truth.  The rich man saw himself as "separate" from his fellow man and from God.  Thus, on the other side, his fellow man and God were separated from him.  Quite simple isn't it?

Light shines into darkness and the darkness ceases to exist.  When truth is understood, things that appear contrary will disappear and no longer have power over the mind that has "fallen" into believing the illusion.

That was great LCD! :thumbsup:

Offline AJ

• Snr
    • Jesus the Light of the World
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2008, 05:18:17 AM »
Welcome Challenger

Let us remember - that the Lord Jesus promised that he'd give drink to all who thirsts....and O' Lazarus surely was a thirsting.
So fear not... he'll shortly be filled with the water of LIFE.

AJ
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 05:25:06 AM by AJ »
"Pretty soon, everybody will get what they deserve, which is ..."Salvation"..."Reconciliation"..."Restitution"..."Restoration"..."Immortality"... and "Incorruption" --- now ain't that the coolest thing?

Offline reFORMer

• < Moderator >
  • Psalm 133
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2008, 07:57:26 AM »
Galatians 4:22-5:1

22 For it is written, that Abraham had two sons, the one by a bondmaid, the other by a freewoman.
23 But he who was of the bondwoman was born after the flesh; but he of the freewoman was by promise.
24 Which things are an allegory: for these are the two covenants; the one from the mount Sinai, which gendereth to bondage, which is Agar.
25 For this Agar is mount Sinai in Arabia, and answereth to Jerusalem which now is, and is in bondage with her children.
26 But Jerusalem which is above is free, which is the mother of us all.
27 For it is written, Rejoice, thou barren that bearest not; break forth and cry, thou that travailest not: for the desolate hath many more children than she which hath an husband.
28 Now we, brethren, as Isaac was, are the children of promise.
29 But as then he that was born after the flesh persecuted him that was born after the Spirit, even so it is now.
30 Nevertheless what saith the scripture? Cast out the bondwoman and her son: for the son of the bondwoman shall not be heir with the son of the freewoman.
31 So then, brethren, we are not children of the bondwoman, but of the free.
1 Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage.

Was Hagar a real historical person?  How about Sarah?  Was there a literal Mt Sinai?  Mt Zion:  is it really there and not just a symbol?  Maybe the Jerusalem that now is really doesn't exist?  Or if there are allegorically two of them, does that mean they're not real?  Or only one of them is?  When Jesus tells us a parable, is he lying?  Can we have a plank in our eye?  It really doesn't matter much how historically real Lazarus in the story is, all we're left with is the story.  Like the details about the tabernacle, the dimensions, the materials:  the words about are what we are left with now.  Words are symbols.  Even the letters have meaning.  You can read the individual letters of the story if you would.  Each word and letter is symbolic.  If all you can take is what is commonly called a "literal" meaning, setting yourself contrary to everything but only what is physical or outer court, then you reveal where you are.  That there are other levels of meaning does not invalidate a literal Lazarus in history, nor vice versa.
I went to church; but, the Church wasn't on the program!  JESUS WANTS HIS BODY BACK!!  MEET WITHOUT HUMAN HEADSHIP!!!

Offline Molly

• Gold
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2008, 09:03:08 AM »
26 But Jerusalem which is above is free, which is the mother of us all.

If the New Jerusalem is the mother of us all, that means it gave birth to us--in other words, we are born again of/in the New Jerusalem.  Thus, we are citizens of the new Jerusalem, the city of God.

1His foundation is in the holy mountains.

2The LORD loveth the gates of Zion more than all the dwellings of Jacob.

3Glorious things are spoken of thee, O city of God. Selah.

4I will make mention of Rahab and Babylon to them that know me: behold Philistia, and Tyre, with Ethiopia; this man was born there.

5And of Zion it shall be said, This and that man was born in her: and the highest himself shall establish her.

6The LORD shall count, when he writeth up the people, that this man was born there. Selah.

--Psa 87

Michele

« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2008, 06:03:15 PM »
Welcome Challenger

Let us remember - that the Lord Jesus promised that he'd give drink to all who thirsts....and O' Lazarus surely was a thirsting.
So fear not... he'll shortly be filled with the water of LIFE.

AJ

I like that AJ!! :thumbsup:

HappyBoy!

« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2008, 05:07:52 AM »
Of all the explanations I've read, this one seems to make the most sense to me.  I've begun to look at other parables in this light to try to understand them better.

http://www.tentmaker.org/articles/Lazarus-byHuie.htm

What are others thoughts on this?

Jaareshiah

« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2008, 03:47:41 PM »
In the parable of the "unrighteous steward", at Luke 16:1-8, Jesus has been talking to his disciples about the proper use of material riches, and then explained that we cannot be slaves to these and at the same time be slaves to God.(Luke 16:9-13) The Pharisees are also listening, and they begin to sneer at Jesus because they are money lovers. So he says to them: "You are those who declare yourselves righteous before men, but God knows your hearts; because what is lofty among men is a disgusting thing in God's sight."(Luke 16:15)

The time has come for the tables to be turned on people who are rich in worldly goods, political power, and religious control and influence. They are to be put down. However, the people who recognize their spiritual need are to be lifted up. Jesus points to such a change when he goes on to say to the Pharisees:

"The Law and the Prophets were until John [the Baptizer]. From then on the kingdom of God is being declared as good news, and every sort of person is pressing forward toward it. Indeed, it is easier for heaven and earth to pass away than for one particle of a letter of the Law to go unfulfilled."(Luke 16:16)

The scribes and the Pharisees are proud of their professed adherence to the Law of Moses. When Jesus miraculously gave sight to a certain man in Jerusalem, they boasted: "We are disciples of Moses. We know that God has spoken to Moses." But now the Law of Moses has fulfilled its intended purpose of leading humble ones to God's designated King, Jesus Christ. So with the beginning of John's ministry, all kinds of persons, especially the humble and the poor, are exerting themselves to become subjects of God's Kingdom.

Since the Mosaic Law is now being fulfilled, the obligation to keep it is to be removed. The Law permits divorce on various grounds, but Jesus now says: "Everyone that divorces his wife and marries another commits adultery, and he that marries a woman divorced from a husband commits adultery." How such pronouncements must irritate the Pharisees, especially since they permit divorce on many grounds!

Continuing his remarks to the Pharisees, Jesus relates an illustration at Luke 16:19-31 that features two men whose status, or situation, is eventually changed dramatically. Who are represented by the men and what does the reversal of their situations mean ?

"But a certain man was rich," Jesus explains, "and he used to deck himself with purple and linen, enjoying himself from day to day with magnificence. But a certain beggar named Lazarus used to be put at his gate, full of ulcers and desiring to be filled with the things dropping from the table of the rich man. Yes, too, the dogs would come and lick his ulcers."

Jesus here uses the rich man to represent the Jewish religious leaders, including not only the Pharisees and the scribes but the Sadducees and the chief priests as well. They are rich in spiritual privileges and opportunities, and they conduct themselves as the rich man did. Their clothing of royal purple represents their favored position, and the white linen pictures their self-righteousness.

This proud rich-man class views the poor, common people with utter contempt, calling them ‛am ha·'a´rets, or people of the earth. The beggar Lazarus thus represents these people to whom the religious leaders deny proper spiritual nourishment and privileges. Hence, like Lazarus covered with ulcers, the common people are looked down upon as spiritually diseased and fit only to associate with dogs. Yet, those of the Lazarus class hunger and thirst for spiritual nourishment and so are at the gate, seeking to receive whatever meager morsels of spiritual food may drop from the rich man's table.  Jesus now goes on to describe changes in the condition of the rich man and Lazarus.

The rich man thus represents the religious leaders who are favored with spiritual privileges and opportunities, and Lazarus pictures the common people who hunger for spiritual nourishment. Jesus continues his story, describing a dramatic change in the men's circumstances.

"Now in course of time," Jesus says, "the beggar died and he was carried off by the angels to the bosom position of Abraham. Also, the rich man died and was buried. And in Hades he lifted up his eyes, he existing in torments, and he saw Abraham afar off and Lazarus in the bosom position with him."

Since the rich man and Lazarus are not literal persons but symbolize classes of people, logically their deaths are also symbolic. What do their deaths symbolize, or represent? 

Jesus had just finished pointing to a change in circumstances by saying that 'the Law and the Prophets were until John the Baptizer, but from then on the kingdom of God is being declared.' Hence, it is with the preaching of John and Jesus Christ that both the rich man and Lazarus die to their former circumstances, or condition.

Those of the humble, repentant Lazarus class die to their former spiritually deprived condition and come into a position of divine favor. Whereas they had earlier looked to the religious leaders for what little dropped from the spiritual table, now the Scriptural truths imparted by Jesus are filling their needs. They are thus brought into the bosom, or favored position, of the Greater Abraham, Jehovah God.

On the other hand, those who make up the rich-man class come under divine disfavor because of persistently refusing to accept the Kingdom message taught by Jesus. They thereby die to their former position of seeming favor. In fact, they are spoken of as being in figurative torment. The rich man now speaks:

"Father Abraham, have mercy on me and send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, because I am in anguish in this blazing fire." God's fiery judgment messages proclaimed by Jesus' disciples are what torment individuals of the rich-man class. They want the disciples to let up on declaring these messages, thus providing them some measure of relief from their torments.

"But Abraham said, 'Child, remember that you received in full your good things in your lifetime, but Lazarus correspondingly the injurious things. Now, however, he is having comfort here but you are in anguish. And besides all these things, a great chasm has been fixed between us and you people, so that those wanting to go over from here to you people cannot, neither may people cross over from there to us.'"

How just and appropriate that such a dramatic reversal take place between the Lazarus class and the rich-man class! The change in conditions is accomplished a few months later at Pentecost 33 C.E., when the old Law covenant is replaced by the new covenant. It then becomes unmistakably clear that the disciples, not the Pharisees and other religious leaders, are favored by God. The "great chasm" that separates the symbolic rich man from Jesus' disciples therefore represents God's unchangeable, righteous judgment.

The rich man next requests "father Abraham": "Send [Lazarus] to the house of my father, for I have five brothers." The rich man thus confesses he has a closer relationship to another father, who is actually Satan the Devil. The rich man requests that Lazarus water down God's judgment messages so as not to put his "five brothers," his religious allies, in "this place of torment."

"But Abraham said, 'They have Moses and the Prophets; let them listen to these.'" Yes, if the "five brothers" would escape torment, all they have to do is heed the writings of Moses and the Prophets that identify Jesus as the Messiah and then become his disciples. But the rich man objects: "No, indeed, father Abraham, but if someone from the dead goes to them they will repent."

However, he is told: "If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, neither will they be persuaded if someone rises from the dead." God will not provide special signs or miracles to convince people. They must read and apply the Scriptures if they would obtain his favor. Luke 16:14-31

(Source of information - "The Greatest Man That Ever Lived", chapter 88, published by Jehovah's Witnesses)