Author Topic: Greek linear bible and Youngs Literal  (Read 240 times)

Offline Caffus

• Full
Greek linear bible and Youngs Literal
« on: April 28, 2015, 04:15:56 PM »
I'm a firm believer in UR. However, I need to have an answer to why the Greek linear says eternal were the Youngs Literal does not. I would think the Greek to be even more accurate? :doh:

Offline Tom

• Bronze
Re: Greek linear bible and Youngs Literal
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 04:43:30 PM »
I don't know what "Greek linear" you're talking about, but maybe you should try the Interlinear Scripture Analyzer. It compares the ancient languages with an ultra-literal translation, Young's Literal Translation, the King James Version, and the Concordant Version.

http://www.scripture4all.org/

The attachment shows how the difference in translations affects the story.

http://www.saviourofall.org/charts/ChartOfJudgments.html
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 04:46:53 PM by Tom »

Offline joeteekay

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 05:23:44 PM »
I created an excel spreadsheet analysis of eon, eonian, forever and eternity.
Since we can't upload excel into the forum I converted it to a word doc. I hope it works and you can use it.  :dsunny:
3 John 4 - I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth.

Offline Tom

• Bronze
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2015, 05:50:43 PM »
Wow, you've been busy, bro.

Offline Caffus

• Full
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2015, 07:34:03 PM »
It's the Interlinear Greek New Testament. And I found it on the lovewins.us/bible site.
Matthew 25:46 and shall go away these into punishment eternal, but the righteous into life eternal.

Offline eaglesway

• < Moderator >
  • Grace & Peace be multiplied unto you, in Jesus
    • Hell is a Myth.com
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2015, 07:42:07 PM »
Very cool.
The Logos is complete, but it is not completely understood. www.hellisamyth.com

Offline Caffus

• Full
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2015, 08:29:37 PM »
Thank you, but I'm unable to download. So, is the answer that eternal when it was translated in The Greek new testament...doesn't mean what eternal means today? This will make it very difficult for many to believe in UR. But then I know I can't convince anyone on my own, only the Holy Spirit can do that.

Offline Shev

• Snr
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2015, 09:32:36 PM »
Hey Caffus - there is actually no Koine Greek word that shares our concept of 'eternal'. It is important to remember that interlinears are still translations, and can suffer from the same inaccuracies as a traditional translation. They give the appearance of greater accuracy owing to the 'word by word' set up, but they can still translate individual words incorrectly.

The Greek phrases that have become translated as 'eternal' or 'forever' in English tend to be some variation of εἰς τοὺς αἰῶνας τῶν αἰώνων - which literally would be something more akin to "to/into the ages of the ages". These Greek phrases are all based upon the Greek word αἰῶν from which we can the English word eon, or age. So all of these phrases are based around the concept of ages. I don't think there is a truly satisfactory translation, as εἰς τοὺς αἰῶνας τῶν αἰώνων seems idiomatic to me, and the literal translation is rather clunky. Unfortunately, modern Greek now uses αιωνιος for eternal, which confuses the matter further. However, modern Greek was to some degree reverse engineered over the past century or so, and either way, languages change over time.

Ultimately, if the Bible writers had really wanted to convey the sense of 'forever', there are better words they could have used - ἀδιαλείπτως (ceaselessly/without ceasing) comes to mind. Also, it is worth remembering that before the church moved from primarily Greek language based to Latin based, there were MANY known universalists such as Origen, who studied and expounded the Bible in great depth. In other words - people for whom Greek was their mother tongue! So it is not just a case of us assessing Greek as a second language, but knowing that there have been Universalists aplenty who spoke Greek every day! For me, it is no coincidence that the rise of belief in ET was concurrent with the transition from Greek to Latin as the main language of the church.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 09:37:56 PM by Shev »

Offline Caffus

• Full
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2015, 10:19:35 PM »
Thank you so much..I knew there had to be a good answer.  I just wanted to know what it was...this way God willing I can share the answer with others.   :Pray:  ET I know is a lie from satan that has been blinding people to Gods real love for so long.  I know He had a purpose for allowing it....but I think it's almost over.  Time for the Good News to be preached to the world before His return.  :dsunny:

Offline Shev

• Snr
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2015, 10:42:11 PM »
Thank you so much..I knew there had to be a good answer.  I just wanted to know what it was...this way God willing I can share the answer with others.   :Pray:  ET I know is a lie from satan that has been blinding people to Gods real love for so long.  I know He had a purpose for allowing it....but I think it's almost over.  Time for the Good News to be preached to the world before His return.  :dsunny:

Amen!  :dsunny:  ET is a foundation that so much has been built upon instead of Christ Himself. I too look forward to the day when all of the misery that has been upon that foundation, comes crashing down with the revelation of His Love to all mankind!

Offline eaglesway

• < Moderator >
  • Grace & Peace be multiplied unto you, in Jesus
    • Hell is a Myth.com
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2015, 11:31:11 PM »

Amen!  :dsunny:  ET is a foundation that so much has been built upon instead of Christ Himself. I too look forward to the day when all of the misery that has been upon that foundation, comes crashing down with the revelation of His Love to all mankind!

\o/
The Logos is complete, but it is not completely understood. www.hellisamyth.com

Offline Caffus

• Full
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2015, 12:48:22 AM »
 :thumbsup :HeartThrob: